Judge dismisses NRA bankruptcy case in blow to gun group

DeluxAuto

AntiSocial Extrovert
Judge dismisses NRA bankruptcy case in blow to gun group

https://apnews.com/article/nra-bankruptcy-dismissed-a281b888b64d391374f24539a820d60f

800.jpeg

DALLAS (AP) — A federal judge on Tuesday dismissed the National Rifle Association’s bankruptcy case, leaving the powerful gun-rights group to face a New York state lawsuit that accuses it of financial abuses and aims to put it out of business.

The case was over whether the NRA should be allowed to incorporate in Texas instead of New York, where the state is suing in an effort to disband the group. Though headquartered in Virginia, the NRA was chartered as a nonprofit in New York in 1871 and is incorporated in the state.

Judge Harlin Hale said in a written order that he was dismissing the case because he found the bankruptcy was not filed in good faith.

“The Court believes the NRA’s purpose in filing bankruptcy is less like a traditional bankruptcy case in which a debtor is faced with financial difficulties or a judgment that it cannot satisfy and more like cases in which courts have found bankruptcy was filed to gain an unfair advantage in litigation or to avoid a regulatory scheme,” Hale wrote.

His decision followed 11 days of testimony and arguments. Lawyers for New York and the NRA’s former advertising agency grilled the group’s embattled top executive, Wayne LaPierre, who acknowledged putting the NRA into Chapter 11 bankruptcy without the knowledge or assent of most of its board and other top officers.

“Excluding so many people from the process of deciding to file for bankruptcy, including the vast majority of the board of directors, the chief financial officer, and the general counsel, is nothing less than shocking,” the judge added.

Phillip Journey, an NRA board member and Kansas judge who had sought to have an examiner appointed to investigate the group’s leadership, was concise about Hale’s judgment: “1 word, disappointed,” he wrote in a text message.

Lawyers for New York Attorney General Letitia James argued that the case was an attempt by NRA leadership to escape accountability for using the group’s coffers as their personal piggybank. But the NRA’s attorneys said it was a legitimate effort to avoid a political attack by James, who is a Democrat.

LaPierre testified that he kept the bankruptcy largely secret to prevent leaks from the group’s 76-member board, which is divided in its support for him.

Well doesn't that just suck for that fucking asshole.
As a group they really aren't awful but that fuckknuckle is such a piece of shit that he pulls them all down with him. Fuck him. Hopefully he gets voted out and he can spend more time not being able to hit the broadside of an elephant.

The group was never intended to the the hate-filled shitfest he turned it into.

It started out just fine, promoting gun safety and training.

I hope that LaPierre has to pay back all the funds he used for personal trips.

What a total fuckwad

It could have moved sooner, like decades ago. Some other gun group will form in another state.

The group has given 72 million to their primary legal firm in the last 3 years. Not to advance their agenda...to fight the fact their leadership stole money from the group. Let me explain how it works to our stupid friends...you can not use non-profit monies to pay for personal trips...or a wedding. That is known as fraud. Do Republicans care their money is being wasted? Obviously not. So make the group for- profit...pay your taxes...and waste your money however you want.

You couldn't find the politics board

and the existing NRA thread?

Maybe you got confused
and posted politics
on the GB...

:eek:

It's not political -- maybe that's why we are at such an impasse.

Report me :)
Typical of what :confused:

Exactly. This is a non-political issue. But because the Republicans make everything political....it must be political...right?

Edit: if you can't argue about the topic...guess they can complain about frivolous everythings

Yes, it's political and sure, I'd be happy to oblige.

If it was political, there would be politics mentioned in the article. Like I said, maybe that's why we're at an impasse as some people don't even know what the core of the debate is about.

Please do, Hall Pass Monitor.

It doesn't have to be mentioned.

This is just part of the Left's hate of the NRA and its defense of the First Amendment.

It's all about gun control/confiscation and it is a political litmus test and

I am not a Republican and I did not vote for Trump

but I have been a member of the NRA...

The King has no Clothes.

Exactly. This is a non-political issue. But because the Republicans make everything political....it must be political...right?

Edit: if you can't argue about the topic...guess they can complain about frivolous everythings

You are perfectly describing behavior that you regularly engage in.

It doesn't have to be mentioned.

of course not. *pats head*

You are perfectly describing behavior that you regularly engage in.

You've posted a lot in this thread without a single one addressing the bankruptcy of the NRA. No, telling us you didn't vote for Trump doesn't count. In fact, it only proves that you are engaging in the behaviour you just accused Dibble of.

I don't care about the bankruptcy, bit I do care about your politicization of the issue.

For the gun control advocates, the NRA has been enemy number one from the git-go.

That is why this belongs on the politics board.
I'm not really going to waste any time
discussing optics on the GB.

Remember, it was supposed to all be moved in order to return us to an idyllic past.

I don't care about the bankruptcy, bit I do care about your politicization of the issue.

For the gun control advocates, the NRA has been enemy number one from the git-go.

That is why this belongs on the politics board.
I'm not really going to waste any time
discussing optics on the GB.

Remember, it was supposed to all be moved in order to return us to an idyllic past.

How is posting the link to a non-partisan article mean I'm politicizing it?
So what?
No, it still doesn't no matter how many times you say it.
You're wasting your time skirting the topic and posting irrelevance.

How is posting the link to a non-partisan article mean I'm politicizing it?
So what?
No, it still doesn't no matter how many times you say it.
You're wasting your time skirting the topic and posting irrelevance.

The article isn't "non political" in nature. The discussion surrounding it isn't "non political" in nature either.

It is a partisan topic, with a partisan discussion, and as such it belongs in the politics forum. That you didn't post it there is where the assignment of error lies.

The article isn't "non political" in nature. The discussion surrounding it isn't "non political" in nature either.

It is a partisan topic, with a partisan discussion, and as such it belongs in the politics forum. That you didn't post it there is where the assignment of error lies.

It's none of those things, Derpy. Not unless one makes it that way and there were no errors on my part. Thanks for totally not addressing the topic -- typical. :cool:

of course not. *pats head*

You've posted a lot in this thread without a single one addressing the bankruptcy of the NRA. No, telling us you didn't vote for Trump doesn't count. In fact, it only proves that you are engaging in the behaviour you just accused Dibble of.

He knows he is on my ignore. I don't waste my time interacting with stupid. Or retards. Or Fascists. Or traitors. He can pick his reason...any is valid.

I backed my statement with facts. 72 million was spent with their primary law firm fighting not cases that benefit the group...but fighting dissent within the group as to how funds were spent. This is a fact. See...stuff like that has to be published to maintain non-profit status. Obviously...this is acceptable to them. Republicans give money to liars and cheats. Democrats tend to get pissed off when their money is spent incorrectly and they stop donating. Again...this can be proven through financial releases all non-profits must release.

not just Republicans. anyone who buys a gun manufactured in the US.

US gun manufacturers give a donation to the NRA for every gun sold.

It's none of those things, Derpy. Not unless one makes it that way and there were no errors on my part. Thanks for totally not addressing the topic -- typical. :cool:

Lol.

If the topic weren't political, then why are we all talking politics about it?

It's like you can't understand the simplest things...

Well said sir.

Back