Isolated Blurt Thread Again

No. My daughter speaks fluent Spanish and so he feels he doesn't have to learn English.
He has no desire to drive, using the excuse that driver's training schools don't speak Spanish. :rolleyes:

My thoughts are that if you come to live in this country, you should learn our language.

British Steel were, as far as I know, the only firm in the UK who can ban/not take on someone for not understanding English (well, a minimum number of words). It's a dangerous place to work and they reckoned that if a shouted warning is not understood, there will be a few problems.

Unrelated blurt: I can't read the computer with my new glasses. :(

I had that problem. My optician was almost put out when I told her I wanted to see clearly at a distance of 42-44 inches. I had to explain that it was the distance from my head to the screen.
Naturally, her (eventual) Tape measure was in centimeters, which didn't help much.
:)

British Steel were, as far as I know, the only firm in the UK who can ban/not take on someone for not understanding English (well, a minimum number of words). It's a dangerous place to work and they reckoned that if a shouted warning is not understood, there will be a few problems.

I had that problem. My optician was almost put out when I told her I wanted to see clearly at a distance of 42-44 inches. I had to explain that it was the distance from my head to the screen.
Naturally, her (eventual) Tape measure was in centimeters, which didn't help much.
:)

I went back and ended up getting lens that are working as I need them to. And since I wasn't happy with the frames, I chose different ones again.

No. My daughter speaks fluent Spanish and so he feels he doesn't have to learn English. He works at the local Heinz factory where the greatest share of employees are Mexicans, so he can communicate just fine there.

He has decided the baby will speak Spanish. My daughter says no, it will speak English. Because he doesn't drive, he says when she goes into labor, she can call her dad to bring her to the hospital. He has no desire to drive, using the excuse that driver's training schools don't speak Spanish. :rolleyes:

My thoughts are that if you come to live in this country, you should learn our language.

If I went to permanently live in a country in which English wasn’t the native language I would learn whatever language was necessary. To me it would be common sense to be able to speak, and hopefully read and write, using that language.

To move to another country and make no attempt to speak the language is the height of ignorance.

The partner of a friend of mine is German and had lived in England for 9 years. Her English is no better now than when she arrived. That’s because everywhere she goes, such as shopping, everyone is so helpful. Instead of him insisting she improves her English he now speaks a gobbledegook using English and German words in the same sentence. Not just to her but to me and the rest of his family. He’s now so much under his thumb she’ll never change.

A few years ago we did a Caribbean cruise and spent a few days in Miami afterwards. It really p****d me off when we went into places, particularly stores, and discovered there were so many staff who didn’t speak English and often had to go and find someone else. One thing that amazed me were the majority were so young and had been raised in Spanish speaking homes. I obviously had no idea how long they’d been in the US but as soon as they arrived it should have been a priority to learn English.

In the UK we have so many immigrants from different countries arriving official forms are now in umpteen languages. That’s wrong. Learn the language of the country you’ve moved to and presumably intend to stay in for the rest of your life.

I’ve come across incidents where, particularly Asian mothers, have gone to school for parents evenings and their child has had to translate.

Congratulations on becoming a grandma, Lynn. We are now onto the third time around with great grandchildren and it’s marvellous all over again. None of my business really but, as you’ve raised the point, your grandchild’s first language, being an American citizen and presumably going to be brought up and live in America, should be English. Would it be an advantage to speak Spanish? Yes, of course, but as a second language. Perhaps your daughter should start speaking to her husband using only English?

He doesn’t want to learn to drive? He wants to have your daughter as his taxi driver for life? As someone who had been to the US many times I know, outside of the cities, public transport and taxis are practically none existent and if you don’t drive you’d better be prepared to work from home.

I'm a qualitifed TARDIS driver.
I learned at the Dr Who displays at Blackpool several years ago. I still have the Badge, somewhere.
Naturally, I'm a bit out of practice. . . .

So if Mags will let me at it, I'll bring it home for her; (with a suitable acknowledgement, obviously).

I went to the permanent one at Cardiff many years ago. I think it’s now based in London. Naturally. 🙄.

There are two things to bear in mind when travelling with The Doctor. Always be prepared to run 🏃 and always be on the lookout for a big red button 😳 I hope you pressed one in Blackpool. 👍

If I went to permanently live in a country in which English wasn’t the native language I would learn whatever language was necessary. To me it would be common sense to be able to speak, and hopefully read and write, using that language.

To move to another country and make no attempt to speak the language is the height of ignorance.

The partner of a friend of mine is German and had lived in England for 9 years. Her English is no better now than when she arrived. That’s because everywhere she goes, such as shopping, everyone is so helpful. Instead of him insisting she improves her English he now speaks a gobbledegook using English and German words in the same sentence. Not just to her but to me and the rest of his family. He’s now so much under his thumb she’ll never change.

A few years ago we did a Caribbean cruise and spent a few days in Miami afterwards. It really p****d me off when we went into places, particularly stores, and discovered there were so many staff who didn’t speak English and often had to go and find someone else. One thing that amazed me were the majority were so young and had been raised in Spanish speaking homes. I obviously had no idea how long they’d been in the US but as soon as they arrived it should have been a priority to learn English.

In the UK we have so many immigrants from different countries arriving official forms are now in umpteen languages. That’s wrong. Learn the language of the country you’ve moved to and presumably intend to stay in for the rest of your life.

I’ve come across incidents where, particularly Asian mothers, have gone to school for parents evenings and their child has had to translate.

Congratulations on becoming a grandma, Lynn. We are now onto the third time around with great grandchildren and it’s marvellous all over again. None of my business really but, as you’ve raised the point, your grandchild’s first language, being an American citizen and presumably going to be brought up and live in America, should be English. Would it be an advantage to speak Spanish? Yes, of course, but as a second language. Perhaps your daughter should start speaking to her husband using only English?

He doesn’t want to learn to drive? He wants to have your daughter as his taxi driver for life? As someone who had been to the US many times I know, outside of the cities, public transport and taxis are practically none existent and if you don’t drive you’d better be prepared to work from home.

I've been concerned since he arrived in the states. She's taken him to Florida, Chicago, Detroit, and endless other ICE offices to get him here legally. Because he wasn't working then yet, she paid it all. I understand things here are far different than the village he lived in. I also believe if he chose to come here, then he should speak English. It's tiring trying to have a conversation with him since I talk to my daughter and she tells him what I said using Spanish, then he answers in Spanish and I wait for her to tell me what he said.

He used his tax return to buy a car. It's still sitting at her dad's house. He insists it will go into their garage for the winter, leaving her car out in the snow. That means she'll have to wake the baby up in the night to pick him up from work.

Speaking Spanish is a good second language here. There are many Spanish speaking people here. But yes, English should be the first language.

He still has a wife and four kids in Honduras that he supports now that he's working. The talk now is to get his mother (she's 74) here to take care of the baby while they both work. She doesn't speak English either. The boyfriend also insists the baby sleep with them until he is five, as they do back in Honduras.

I know I should be excited. I'm not.

ETA: Oct 4, 2021, a month before the due date, she went into labor and had the baby. 7 lbs and 15 oz.

Last edited:
Found this ad . . .

Give-A-Sack Ballwash

Each bottle comes with a custom illustration to quickly show you how to make sure your boys below are in tip-top shape.

:rolleyes:

My youngest granddaughter (nearly 10) is English but she has a reasonable competence in French, Japanese, and Brazilian Portuguese. She can make herself understood in all three other languages. The school she attends has a large Japanese minority because the parents are often in the UK for a two or three-year stay.

If a new Japanese child comes to the school, my granddaughter is assigned to help them for the first few weeks because she speaks Japanese. Obviously, the other Japanese pupils can speak Japanese too, but their standard of English doesn't match hers.

Her parents speak French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese and American because they frequently visit all those countries.

At a similar age, I could speak my native English, Llanito (the pidgin spoken in Gibraltar and the neighbouring parts of Spain), French, German and could make myself understood in Italian, Castilian Spanish, and Maltese. I was top of my class in Latin.

Okay, I apologize but I can't find a topic here that seems appropriate for this question. So here goes:

Where exactly is the control setting for the custom user title field?

I think I qualify, and I'm sure the control's just staring me in the face somewhere in the User Control Panel, but I don't see it.

Thanks

Okay, I apologize but I can't find a topic here that seems appropriate for this question. So here goes:

Where exactly is the control setting for the custom user title field?

I think I qualify, and I'm sure the control's just staring me in the face somewhere in the User Control Panel, but I don't see it.

Thanks

I don't think you can anymore.

Back