Is it any wonder that some authors block anonymous comments?

Story idea?

Sounds like a perfect onehitwanda type of story to me.

"Anonymity":

I met her on a beach in Greece. She wouldn't tell me her name. She had a foul mouth, but oh those eyes.
She came from Greece, she had a thirst for knowledge

Ah, found it. Thank you everyone. Very well hidden. It may be 1.37am here in England but I'm going on a deleting spree!

That's absolutely your best bet.

Don't engage. Don't respond. Just delete.

I'm all for constructive criticism, but seven comments repeatedly insulting you is more than ridiculous.

I am like several here. I have never deleted a comment, although many are a waste of space. I wish there was a icon to like etc like there is in this forum.(with a thumbs down icon as well). Perhaps that might dissuade an abusive anonymous commenter who sees other disagree or otherwise react to what he wrote.
I once called a particular anonymous out saying he had probably never written a story in his life. He sent feedback to my email saying he was an 'experienced author' even professionally and how many authors comment anonymously. Ii pretty much discounted that another author would just call somebody 'a fat ass bitch who probably did not even know what pussy was etc.' My experience that other authors tend to call you out for plot holes, lack of story flow, maybe even character deficits. Things that tend to make your future stories better.

Loony man continues. Eight more abusive comments deleted, including this eloquent piece of prose:

"you child abusing piece of shit."

Eventually, even his little brain will realise that it takes him ten times longer to write them than it takes me to delete them.

Loony man continues. Eight more abusive comments deleted, including this eloquent piece of prose:

"you child abusing piece of shit."

Eventually, even his little brain will realise that it takes him ten times longer to write them than it takes me to delete them.

...well, I mean, if you'd only stop abusing children and being a piece of shit, maybe he'd enjoy your stories more. Just a thought.

/sarc

I enjoy reading comments on my stories and it has never occurred to me to block anonymous ones. However, at the end of my most recent story, 'An Auction, a Saddle and a Slave', the characters name their baby girl 'Maiori' after the village in Italy where she was conceived. All very innocuous you might think. Not to the anonymous person who chose to leave no less than seven comments. Here's a brief selection of his views (I'm pretty certain that it's a he):

"names like that are nothing but child abuse"
"assholes like you"
"you're just a self-centered sack of shit"
"assholes like you" (again)
"If she doesn't want me to call her an idiot and an asshole, she shouldn't be such an asshole"
"I know that she is an idiot and an asshole"
"leading her to out herself as an idiot and an asshole"

I left out quite a few 'assholes' as, like you, I was getting bored.

He claims to write under another account. I take they're all in the anal category.

I reported the comments three days ago but nothing has been done.

I make it clear in my bio that I'm a young female. Perhaps he's a bully as well has having an asshole fixation. Some of my nicest comments are from anonymous readers so I'm loathe to block anonymous comments. But, if the owners of the site are keen to permit anonymous comments, then they have a duty to protect authors. No response to reports of abuse after three days is simply not good enough.
I posted this yesterday in 'Comments That Make Your Day.' He went after a bunch of my top rated stories a few months back, and now he's doing it again. I noticed he's even replaced some of his more hateful comments that I deleted.

He's back...

I've gotten nine comments from him just today, on all my top rated stories. All of them weird and nasty, referring to all my FC as bitches and the MC's as wimps, while telling me I'm a terrible author.

He comments rapid fire, one after the other. So, I'm wondering how much he's even read to be able to form such hostile opinions of my work.

I wondered if anyone else has been hounded by this annoying little troll.

I think we might have been attacked by the same creep. Though, there are probably a lot of hateful creeps dealing with issues and lashing out because they can.

It sucks, you have my sympathies. A single comment by a genuine reader, negative or otherwise is fair, but that sort of troll spamming is super irritating. Yeetus deletus the dickhead without regret.

Their IP address, the timing, the repeat nature...
Only a human can assess "the repeat nature" unless it's verbatim repeat spam, which it wasn't in this case, and while IP address and timing reviews could be automated and subject to programmed throttling, it's not clear whether they actually are.

Only a human can assess "the repeat nature" unless it's verbatim repeat spam, which it wasn't in this case, and while IP address and timing reviews could be automated and subject to programmed throttling, it's not clear whether they actually are.
I doubt the morons are sophisticated enough to attempt such coordinated evasion. Anyway, delete is your best friend.

I doubt the morons are sophisticated enough to attempt such coordinated evasion. Anyway, delete is your best friend.
I agree. I rarely delete a comment, but for this clown I made an exception. Not that it mattered, since he decided to wait a few months and then repeated the same nasty comments on the same stories, along with a few more that he missed last time.

This was his comment on "Just Roomies" one of my highest rated stories, that was nominated for a reader's choice award for September, 2022:

The 75yr old cunt Uncle Jack is so readily forgiven!!
Weak wimpy writer and his MCs

I think he might be deranged. He's picked my top rated stories to dump on, that have almost all positive comments. I don't know if that bothers him, and he gets his kicks trashing what other people like, or what his problem is. I just wish he'd find something else to occupy his time, like maybe get a job or something worthwhile.

Has it occurred to you that whoever leaves such comments might actually like you in their own strange way? Maybe you've touched them, and they're pulling the braid of the girl they like?

Has it occurred to you that those who hurt others online might come from pain, trauma, and frustration?

Has it occurred to you that those wretches might be victims of a predatory, violent, and deranged society, much like you?

Just delete the comments and move on instead of whining about it.
Oh I didn't know you cared. You like us, you really like us.

That's absolutely your best bet.

Don't engage. Don't respond. Just delete.

I'm all for constructive criticism, but seven comments repeatedly insulting you is more than ridiculous.
Can't technically respond anyway. I and others have doubts these chucklefucks are checking for responses. If I was on the same accord of trying to argue with the likes of these piss-ants; it's easy to get shit started on Reddit.

I've just deleted an anon comment which simply attacked the character/s and scenario, with a whole heap of profanity too.

I also deleted an anon comment a few weeks ago, which was someone suggesting a direction for my story involving drugs and prostitution.

Sometimes anon comments are fine, but most of the anon comments seem to be people using anonymity to hide themselves and be nasty assholes.

I'm tempted to block anons now...

I've considered the same thing. The only problem is, I've receive some pretty nice Anon comments, too.

For now, I'm just waiting out the creep who, like you've experienced, keeps dishing out nasty comments. I'm still hoping he gets a life and finds something else to do.

Beautiful, very well written story. Love this and also your other work. Such a thoughtful and descriptive writer. Would be amazing to hear more of Sophia and Militsa's erotic journey.
-Anon

What a lovely, sensuous and romantic tale. I congratulate you - eat your heart out Stephenie Meyer!
-Anon

37 thousand words. I only need 2. Simply Outstanding.
-Anon

beautiful... lovely... got a tear in my eye... I need to read more of your stories now
-Anon

I know experiences vary and its easy to troll with an anonymous comment but these are a few of the nicest I've received.

What I'd like is the ability to generally accept anonymous comments on stories, which I can always delete if they're just insults or attempts to start an argument, but reject anonymous direct messages. Perhaps there's a way to do it that I'm too new to know about, but the only setting I found was to allow or reject all anonymous contact as a batch. I haven't yet received any anonymous hate e-mail (or not from Literotica users anyway) but I suspect it's only a matter of time. Nothing likely prevents someone from inputting a fake email address even if it's required to send their abuse, but anything that makes it slightly more of a chore for them is appreciated. Does anyone who has received such DMs know if it's even possible to report those to Lit? Or if it accomplished anything to report them?

I don't think the receiving anonymous attack PMs is inevitable. I've been here seventeen years and haven't received many in that time.

I don't think the receiving anonymous attack PMs is inevitable. I've been here seventeen years and haven't received many in that time.
It's probably not inevitable, but my current story is MC with a smattering of other fetishes for garnishment, so I expect to trigger some folks despite efforts to call attention to chapter contents. Sometimes those people like to howl, although like I said I'm too new here to have built up a rogue's gallery yet. In my case I expect it to happen eventually between my niche writing and refusal to engage with most complaints. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Back