Is it any wonder that some authors block anonymous comments?

KachinaDoll

Petite but fierce.
I enjoy reading comments on my stories and it has never occurred to me to block anonymous ones. However, at the end of my most recent story, 'An Auction, a Saddle and a Slave', the characters name their baby girl 'Maiori' after the village in Italy where she was conceived. All very innocuous you might think. Not to the anonymous person who chose to leave no less than seven comments. Here's a brief selection of his views (I'm pretty certain that it's a he):

"names like that are nothing but child abuse"
"assholes like you"
"you're just a self-centered sack of shit"
"assholes like you" (again)
"If she doesn't want me to call her an idiot and an asshole, she shouldn't be such an asshole"
"I know that she is an idiot and an asshole"
"leading her to out herself as an idiot and an asshole"

I left out quite a few 'assholes' as, like you, I was getting bored.

He claims to write under another account. I take they're all in the anal category.

I reported the comments three days ago but nothing has been done.

I make it clear in my bio that I'm a young female. Perhaps he's a bully as well has having an asshole fixation. Some of my nicest comments are from anonymous readers so I'm loathe to block anonymous comments. But, if the owners of the site are keen to permit anonymous comments, then they have a duty to protect authors. No response to reports of abuse after three days is simply not good enough.

You can delete any comments you wish to delete. That is fully within your control. Just hit the trash icon beside the comment.

I think the site owners have lived up to their "duty" in this regard by giving you two ways to deal with anonymous commenters already.

There isn't a trash icon beside the comment, just a '!' to report the comment.

It's on your author dashboard, under works. Open the little comments icon next to the story, then each comment will have a trashcan. It took me a long time to find it, it's pretty well hidden.

The interface is a little confusing. You can't delete those comments from the publicly-viewable story page (though you can and should report them).

To delete, go to https://www.literotica.com/my/#/works/stories/published

To the right of the story title, you'll see a speech-balloon icon. In the screenshot below, it's the blue one next to the gear icon (not the black one further down with the comment code).

Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 10.32.23 am.png

If you click on that icon, you should see the option to delete comments.

My thoughts on this? I’ve had anonymous people get as uppity about my writings as non-anonymous people. And if I turned off anonymous comments I’d get fewer comments. So anonymity is irrelevant!

This is the only site I write on where anon can't comment. Maybe that's why I don't get a lot of comments, like Achtung claims- I'd rather get none, then a buncha bullshit ones.

Couldn't get this out of my head after reading your post. Apologies in advance, subsequently and for each time the word 'asshole' makes you laugh.

I don't delete any comments. I let the other commenters deal with any feedback that they feel deserves retribution of some sort. So far, it has worked out well for me.

What I really don't like is the ability for readers to send anonymous e-mail feedback, because it is generally much more constructive, and I would like to be able to reply to them.

I thought you could only leave one anonymous comment on a story.
Not heard that before. You can leave multiple comments in your account name, so I don't see why anon comments would be any different.

The system will remember an anon vote, if it's done from the same computer and you're not logged in. So if you wanted to multi-vote, you'd have to use different computers, or do something to change your session id (boffins will know, I don't).

Anonymous comments are fine. Honestly, there are never enough comments as it is, and as many have pointed out, you can always delete the comments you find inappropriate. Anonymous story rating on the other hand...

I don't delete any comments. I let the other commenters deal with any feedback that they feel deserves retribution of some sort. So far, it has worked out well for me.

What I really don't like is the ability for readers to send anonymous e-mail feedback, because it is generally much more constructive, and I would like to be able to reply to them.
Couldn't agree more... I've had some really nice, highly encouraging and very constructive email messages from Anonymous readers that I would love to reply to, but obviously can't...

KD - sorry to hear of your experience and wish I could say you're the first. Sadly, anonymity draws such creatures out from under their rocks.

Some will say to leave such posted and thus let them be embarrassed. Personally, I'll leave up critical anon comments provided they make sense and aren't just sewer sludge. That said, if a dog messes on my lawn, I'll clean it up.

On the positive side, Anonymous' equally invisible sister Anonymous posts some nice stuff.

Good luck.

Ugh I got hit with 3 shit comments in a matter of moments yday, across two stories. One was justified; a grammatical error. The other two were calling the story put as rape; which it isn't. In any way.
Its gut wrenching to be honest.

Back