Is it any wonder that some authors block anonymous comments?

What I'd like is the ability to generally accept anonymous comments on stories, which I can always delete if they're just insults or attempts to start an argument, but reject anonymous direct messages. Perhaps there's a way to do it that I'm too new to know about, but the only setting I found was to allow or reject all anonymous contact as a batch. I haven't yet received any anonymous hate e-mail (or not from Literotica users anyway) but I suspect it's only a matter of time. Nothing likely prevents someone from inputting a fake email address even if it's required to send their abuse, but anything that makes it slightly more of a chore for them is appreciated. Does anyone who has received such DMs know if it's even possible to report those to Lit? Or if it accomplished anything to report them?
When you say DM, do you mean when someone sends you a feedback through lit, or someone sending you a private message via the forum PM?

I don't think you can report the system feedback, and people don't need an e-mail to send those anon. Not sure if you can report a private message here or not because the mod-and site itself-answer will be "use the ignore" feature.

It's probably not inevitable, but my current story is MC with a smattering of other fetishes for garnishment, so I expect to trigger some folks despite efforts to call attention to chapter contents. Sometimes those people like to howl, although like I said I'm too new here to have built up a rogue's gallery yet. In my case I expect it to happen eventually between my niche writing and refusal to engage with most complaints. Hopefully I'm wrong!

I completely understand where you are coming from. I too thought about turning comments etc off but really with the ability to easily delete comments that are straight out abusive, nothing to do with the story etc there is no harm in leaving them on and moderating it yourself.

I personally would like for the ability to send Authors Private Feedback that comes straight to my e-mail removed (or the option to turn it off) they already get to abuse me through my stories they don't need the ability to abuse me away from the site. But the only setting I have found turns off ALL feedback ability.

When you say DM, do you mean when someone sends you a feedback through lit, or someone sending you a private message via the forum PM?

I don't think you can report the system feedback, and people don't need an e-mail to send those anon. Not sure if you can report a private message here or not because the mod-and site itself-answer will be "use the ignore" feature.
I was referring principally to the "Send Instant Feedback" feature on the user profiles, which goes to the email inbox associated with my account. Since I accept anonymous comments the email address field is considered optional, although as I mentioned, I don't think the system does more than check that whatever is entered there fits the basic criteria to be an email address, even if it's not a real one. Possibly there are safeguards in place against abuse that I just don't know about, since I haven't yet got anything nasty from the system despite a few insulting comments.
I believe the forum's PM uses a different system, although I've not sent or received anything there so I don't know for sure.

I completely understand where you are coming from. I too thought about turning comments etc off but really with the ability to easily delete comments that are straight out abusive, nothing to do with the story etc there is no harm in leaving them on and moderating it yourself.

I personally would like for the ability to send Authors Private Feedback that comes straight to my e-mail removed (or the option to turn it off) they already get to abuse me through my stories they don't need the ability to abuse me away from the site. But the only setting I have found turns off ALL feedback ability.
Yes, same boat for me, the anon feedback seems to be an all or none feature. It's not a big deal, at least not currently, but it would be nice to draw a distinction between stuff that stays here and stuff that can potentially follow you elsewhere.

There are some minimal safeguards in place. Someone on the same IP/ID who sends too many messages through that system in too short of a time will find themselves blocked for a while. Back in the day, we would sometimes run into it while doing daily reviews of new stories. You typically sent a link to the thread through private feedback, and if you did too many short stories that day, you'd hit a wall.

The field requires the most basic formula of an email when filled out: something @ something dot something. I don't believe it checks anything beyond that.

No way to currently block only anonymous private feedback that I'm aware of. You have to block anonymous across the board ( comments and private ) or accept both. I'd imagine that it was an economical decision. Most people who want to block anonymous want it to be across the board.

There are some minimal safeguards in place. Someone on the same IP/ID who sends too many messages through that system in too short of a time will find themselves blocked for a while. Back in the day, we would sometimes run into it while doing daily reviews of new stories. You typically sent a link to the thread through private feedback, and if you did too many short stories that day, you'd hit a wall.

The field requires the most basic formula of an email when filled out: something @ something dot something. I don't believe it checks anything beyond that.

No way to currently block only anonymous private feedback that I'm aware of. You have to block anonymous across the board ( comments and private ) or accept both. I'd imagine that it was an economical decision. Most people who want to block anonymous want it to be across the board.
Thanks for the info. It's good they can at least keep people from spamming too much garbage. I suppose it probably is economical to do it all or nothing, and if it happened a lot they'd probably already be aware of complaints, so maybe it's just not much of an issue at this site. I hope so! I'm used to a certain kind of complainer who doesn't give up after just one or two failed attempts at leaving a bag of burning poop on the doorstep, so it would definitely be nice if the ones here don't bother escalating if no one opens the door.

Back