International Humanitarian Law

neci

flagged
ICRC resource

I was just reading an article about the Hamas and Israel, and the words International Humanitarian Law jumped out and stuck with me. I took an international relations class over two decades ago, and was far from the brightest and best mind in the room. Still, I have always been drawn to discussions of the humanitarian side of war. The effects on everyday civilians, atrocities committed against them, and those that get swept under the rug so rich countries can continue pouring money into the war machine without guilt on the conscience of their voters. Attention drawn to certain countries - all eyes on - while genocide rages elsewhere, no oil in the land to call attention. Sitting safe inside my home, international courts far from minds, clean drinking water weaponized. This is a thread to call out any country or group and every country or group, who chooses to attack the innocent civilian in the name of peace or war.

I approve of this thread.

Edit: But I fear it will gain no traction...for the reason you made it...to highlight the hypocrisy...people here can't accept they may be on the wrong side

Last edited:
This is an odd post.
Who are you calling out and why?

I’m not calling out anyone specifically right now. Children being murdered and taken hostage followed by the fear of more children dying as a result of those children’s deaths. Talk of leveling Palestine while bodies pile up in Israel. I’m just trying to hold space. I do have a fear of this triggering a larger war. Dominos lined up. It’s not just this one place though. It’s hospitals being attacked in the Ukraine. I want to know what is coming across your radars. Are you worried about the people who were buried in mass graves in West Darfur this summer?

Why? Talking about things in a public space creates conversations that has the ability to bring things to light and shape the public conversation. I want the topic of humanity to be at the forefront of a war that has the potential to domino across the region like wild fire and into homes around the world.

I also don’t want to make a conflict specific thread. If I read something, I want a place to be able to mention it and possibly hear more about it. I get lost in large threads where people just go back and forth arguing. I am hoping people who have an interest in international humanitarian law regarding specific events around the world will post something I can learn from.

This is where the intersubjective fiction of nationalism is used…otherwise everybody would be horrified by war.
Humans aren’t hardwired for war. It takes political propaganda, of some sort, to justify it and make it digestible to the ‘righteous ones’

ICRC resource

I was just reading an article about the Hamas and Israel, and the words International Humanitarian Law jumped out and stuck with me. I took an international relations class over two decades ago, and was far from the brightest and best mind in the room. Still, I have always been drawn to discussions of the humanitarian side of war. The effects on everyday civilians, atrocities committed against them, and those that get swept under the rug so rich countries can continue pouring money into the war machine without guilt on the conscience of their voters. Attention drawn to certain countries - all eyes on - while genocide rages elsewhere, no oil in the land to call attention. Sitting safe inside my home, international courts far from minds, clean drinking water weaponized. This is a thread to call out any country or group and every country or group, who chooses to attack the innocent civilian in the name of peace or war.
Issue is ,cults telling followers to thrust their ideology on others. This is clear violation of the rights of others. All other things are drama to make the narrative in their favor. For example the desert ola plays victim for some and protectors for some.. It works for both of them. Some privileged behind the keyboard shout bla bla and show sympathy... And some find it reason to take up more violence.

I’m not calling out anyone specifically right now. Children being murdered and taken hostage followed by the fear of more children dying as a result of those children’s deaths. Talk of leveling Palestine while bodies pile up in Israel. I’m just trying to hold space. I do have a fear of this triggering a larger war. Dominos lined up. It’s not just this one place though. It’s hospitals being attacked in the Ukraine. I want to know what is coming across your radars. Are you worried about the people who were buried in mass graves in West Darfur this summer?

Why? Talking about things in a public space creates conversations that has the ability to bring things to light and shape the public conversation. I want the topic of humanity to be at the forefront of a war that has the potential to domino across the region like wild fire and into homes around the world.

I also don’t want to make a conflict specific thread. If I read something, I want a place to be able to mention it and possibly hear more about it. I get lost in large threads where people just go back and forth arguing. I am hoping people who have an interest in international humanitarian law regarding specific events around the world will post something I can learn from.

I hear exactly what you’re saying.

While there are nuanced rationales involved in the creation and sustained existence of Israel, there are no nuanced rationales involved in the heinous, murderous, terrorist attacks and kidnappings committed by Hamas. - The Israeli’s treatment of the Palestinians leading up to the attack was questionable at best, and the Israeli response to the Hamas terrorist attack is nothing to be celebrated

Unfortunately, NOW this IS war.

This is what some on both sides wanted.

This is what some on both sides elected..

*Resigned sigh*

This is happening all over Africa. Sudan, Niger and several others are involved in armed conflicts where citizens are nothing more than in the way.

Got it. So the thread is about humanitarian efforts, mostly.

So how do you feel about US Aid? https://www.usaid.gov/

Or maybe it is acceptable to assault and hold BBC reporters at gunpoint in Tel Aviv because they were reporting on why Israel fired artillery into Lebanon today?

Got it. So the thread is about humanitarian efforts, mostly.

So how do you feel about US Aid? https://www.usaid.gov/
this thread is about human rights violations during war time and the ultimate finale being court at the Hague. discussions of USAID is fodder for an entirely different thread. if something happens in the world that you believe qualifies for attention from the Hague, please post it here.

ICRC resource

There are no innocent civilians in Gaza. THEY voted for Hamas and knew the deal. I am pissed the US wants to give them any aid. Aid starts the cycle all over again. How do they ever learn.

There are no innocent civilians in Gaza. THEY voted for Hamas and knew the deal. I am pissed the US wants to give them any aid. Aid starts the cycle all over again. How do they ever learn.
There are no innocent civilians in Israel. THEY voted for Yahu and knew the deal. I am pissed the US wants to give them any aid. Aid starts the cycle all over again. How do they ever learn?

Unless things haven't changed since 2006, THEY haven't voted at all.

Because they haven't had elections because Hamas won't allow them.

What you are saying is.....let them die...that will teach them. Starve them, bomb them....maybe that will get them to overcome
Sorry....non war combatants are not involved in the war....every effort should be made so that they don't die needlessly.

Let me know when Israel ever attacks Gaza without provocation. The Philistines should be grateful Israel ever gave back Gaza in the first place. Bet they don't do that again.

There's a long-established rule that goes along the lines of, "Whenever a terrorist is murdered, ten freedom fighters are recruited to take their place."

There's a long-established rule that goes along the lines of, "Whenever a terrorist is murdered, ten freedom fighters are recruited to take their place."
Yep. But Philistines need no recruitment. It's a three thousand year old deal. I waste my time even commenting about it.

Yep. But Philistines need no recruitment. It's a three thousand year old deal. I waste my time even commenting about it.
Yes, according to legend Moses led the Jewish people from Egypt across the Sinai desert into the green & pleasant countryside called Israel.

He announced that this would be their 'promised land' where they would live for evermore. The thousands of Philistines (or Palestinians as the name morphed into over the years) who already lived there looked somewhat surprised at the idea. But they've been painted as the bad guys ever since because they failed to bugger off.

Unfortunately some of the biggest most powerful countries both military and economically don’t abide by humanitarian law. Russia, Iran, China, Saudi Arabia, Syria and a whole host of others. Most of the countries named would just as soon cut your head off than look at you. These countries will proudly stand in front of a UN assembly on human rights preach to all nations that other countries are violating human rights while their backyards are killing fields. Western nations tout * we’re * for human rights till it interferes with the almighty dollar. European nations were livid when Trump opted out of the JCPOA, not for stopping the development of nuclear weapons by Iran but because it interfered with with trading oil and other products to pad their economies.

There is plenty of hypocrisy and greed to go around.

Yes, according to legend Moses led the Jewish people from Egypt across the Sinai desert into the green & pleasant countryside called Israel.

He announced that this would be their 'promised land' where they would live for evermore. The thousands of Philistines (or Palestinians as the name morphed into over the years) who already lived there looked somewhat surprised at the idea. But they've been painted as the bad guys ever since because they failed to bugger off.

See my post above... three thousand years. God told the Israelite's what to do.

Unfortunately some of the biggest most powerful countries both military and economically don’t abide by humanitarian law. Russia, Iran, China, Saudi Arabia, Syria and a whole host of others. Most of the countries named would just as soon cut your head off than look at you. These countries will proudly stand in front of a UN assembly on human rights preach to all nations that other countries are violating human rights while their backyards are killing fields. Western nations tout * we’re * for human rights till it interferes with the almighty dollar. European nations were livid when Trump opted out of the JCPOA, not for stopping the development of nuclear weapons by Iran but because it interfered with with trading oil and other products to pad their economies.

There is plenty of hypocrisy and greed to go around.
So we shouldn't try to provide relief to suffering civilians. 👍

So we shouldn't try to provide relief to suffering civilians. 👍
I never wrote that, take your argument up with JaFO.

Humanitarian aid to the Palestinians only works if the aid actually goes to people in need and not confiscated by Hamas to enhance their ability to reign terror on the people who actually helped them.

Unfortunately some of the biggest most powerful countries both military and economically don’t abide by humanitarian law. Russia, Iran, China, Saudi Arabia, Syria and a whole host of others. Most of the countries named would just as soon cut your head off than look at you. These countries will proudly stand in front of a UN assembly on human rights preach to all nations that other countries are violating human rights while their backyards are killing fields. Western nations tout * we’re * for human rights till it interferes with the almighty dollar
Syria, a big and powerful country.......fuck off....
. European nations were livid when Trump opted out of the JCPOA, not for stopping the development of nuclear weapons by Iran but because it interfered with with trading oil and other products to pad their economies.
LOL They were pissed because it was a slap in the face to theml, how do you sell the deal next time, when the participants now know you won't hold up your end of it????????

Answer me that ican'thelpmyselfiamsofuckingstupid.

Deals made by previous administrations need to be up held. Which is why Biden followed through on Trump's Afghanistan deal....

Back