Interesting video - 8 Tips for Writing Sex Scenes

TheRedChamber

Apprentice

I've been in bed with a bad cold and have been occupying myself with some YouTube videos on writing. I thought I'd share this one as, while I don't agree with everything, I thought it was one fo the better ones on writing sex scenes (from a non-erotica writer, Hannah Lee Kidder who I otherwise know nothing about). It's twenty minutes long, so if you don't have time skip to 11:30 where she goes line-by-line through a (ahem) weaker sample sent in to her which I laughed a lot at. There's a stronger example at 3:20 as well, but I didn't think it was quite as great as she did.

I got through part of the example at 3:20, and thought it was pretty weak. Plenty of detail, but it was all "then I did this, then I did that." Which goes directly against the tip she talked about only a moment earlier, about writing characters not sex.

"Know what a clitoris is, where it is and what it does."

Well, there goes my career in erotica then.
You'll be fine. None of the people in SF/F have ever found an elf or a mermaid, but they keep reading anyway.
Maybe you can write a story about a cryptoclitologist who goes around the world seeking proof that the clitoris is real.

You'll be fine. None of the people in SF/F have ever found an elf or a mermaid, but they keep reading anyway.
Maybe you can write a story about a cryptoclitologist who goes around the world seeking proof that the clitoris is real.
I've just started writing a Romancing the Stone type of adventure romance, with a treasure map to a giant ruby. Now I'm going to have to modify so that the McGuffin is symbolic of the clitoris.

I hate you.

I've just started writing a Romancing the Stone type of adventure romance, with a treasure map to a giant ruby. Now I'm going to have to modify so that the McGuffin is symbolic of the clitoris.

I hate you.
So, even with a map, your protags won't be able to find the pearl. They won't even be looking for it.
Color me surprised. :LOL: ;)

Men keep searching the world for the fabled clit without result. It keeps itself effectively hooded.

I've sometimes found it difficult to find good YouTube videos about writing. A lot of them give broad direction but not much concrete advice. I'll have to check this one out at some point.

The best way to improve is plain and simple: read, diversely and greedily.

Yay, eight replies...oh right, AH, darn it.
I tried. My second reply was a serious comment about the video. I'll repeat it here to hopefully get the discussion back on track:

I got through part of the example at 3:20, and thought it was pretty weak. Plenty of detail, but it was all "then I did this, then I did that." Which goes directly against the tip she talked about only a moment earlier, about writing characters not sex.

I've sometimes found it difficult to find good YouTube videos about writing. A lot of them give broad direction but not much concrete advice. I'll have to check this one out at some point.
I've found several, though it depends on what you mean by 'concrete'. They're necessarily advising on something general, a work that is only concrete to you.

Some that I subscribe to (in a vaguely defined order of quality)

Wrestling with Words
Film Courage
Hello Future Me
Brandon McNulty
Jenna Moreci
Brandon Sanderson
Alexa Donne
Hanna Lee Kidder

I hate you.
Hahaha - when this one goes up, let us know. I want to read it. Funny concept (treasure map to the clit).

It's a smooth stone that you have to rub to open the chamber so everyone can get in and pillage the treasure. It's covered by a log that slides out of the way when it you say the right incantation, and the whole thing is hidden under dense, impenetrable shrubbery.

What I appreciate about the first example is that it starts the sex scene in media res which is a novel concept to me - I've always developed to the sex play by play. This a nice technique to consider.

What I appreciate about the first example is that it starts the sex scene in media res which is a novel concept to me - I've always developed to the sex play by play. This a nice technique to consider.
I have one, I think, but the purpose of the scene is as an expression of the FMC's annoyance with the MMC:
Very well, she'd pretend to give Sligh's proposition some thought -- the one about the robbery, that was. She'd spent plenty of time already thinking about his other proposition during the past months. But she was still shaken by how badly she'd lost control at the sudden sight of him. So they'd be professional, at least until this job was over -- and in the meantime perhaps she'd find out whether that redhead was interested.

She was. An hour or so later, Avilia found herself pressed up against a wooden wall in the stables. Vonrai, the redhead, had sent her helpers packing and bolted the door, and was running her hands over Avilia's hips. The sounds and smells of the horses faded into the background.

Their lips were locked and Vonrai's tongue had forced itself into Avilia's mouth, twisting and thrusting like a snake. Is this an indication of what else she can do? Avilia wondered. Usually she preferred to be in control of her lovemaking, but the stablewoman had seized the initiative and for once Avilia was happy to let it all happen, surrendering to the strong, capable hands and eager tongue.

Like I said, it serves a purpose, but if you're writing erotica, I think most of the time how you get there is at least half the fun. And I'm not even a writer who insists on character development as the be all and end all.

if you're writing erotica, I think most of the time how you get there is at least half the fun. And I'm not even a writer who insists on character development as the be all and end all.
That's fine if there's only one sex scene, but I am a big "character first" writer (I try), and still my tentative opening line for the whole Aces2 series is:

"Brian Abernathy pushed into the girl bent over in front of him and wondered if this was all for nothing."

There's obviously going to be many, many sexual encounters in his future. Plenty of time for buildup and to give the readers who haven't read the first one some character development. But having him get introspective while ploughing some girl from behind seems to fit his character as developed in the original series. And it teases the theme of this sequel right off the bat.

In media ass res isn't just for strokers.

Back