"On-screen sex" v. sexual tension

Definitely not. The erotic part of erotica is ironically sometimes the most tedious to me.
Agreed! Sometimes I like writing the sex scenes, but sometimes I don't but feel I need to put one in to complete the narrative arc and the characters' journey. That's always a bit of a chore, though I always end up liking the outcome.

Abstemious? Or abstentious, which seems to mean exactly the same thing.

I had the first word in mind, and to be honest I cannot recall ever having encountered the second, which is interesting because it means the same thing.

I had the first word in mind, and to be honest I cannot recall ever having encountered the second, which is interesting because it means the same thing.

That makes sense, really - if a person or group of people already has one version in their vocabulary there's not much to gain from adding the other.

But as long as we're doing alphabetical order: "nope" has a string of three consecutive letters from the alphabet, as does "defend". Can you think of a word with four?

That makes sense, really - if a person or group of people already has one version in their vocabulary there's not much to gain from adding the other.

But as long as we're doing alphabetical order: "nope" has a string of three consecutive letters from the alphabet, as does "defend". Can you think of a word with four?

I'm not sure "hairstubble" is really a word or if it should be two words. I'm leaning to the latter. I haven't confirmed it.

"overstuffed"

And come to think of it, any verb starting with "stu-" with "over-" or "under-" before it.

"overstuffed"

And come to think of it, any verb starting with "stu-" with "over-" or "under-" before it.

Yep. There are also a few options not using that "rstu" combination - some five-dollar words containing "mnop", one fairly obscure "ghij", and a couple of "cdef" listings that I'd consider more abbreviations/titles than real words.

I'm still new here, so I have way less experience than most of you, and a I'm working with a much smaller sample size in terms of readership. But I recently had a story, which I thought was kind of a transitionary chapter, do way better than I expected (for me at least) even though there was no "on-screen" sex or nudity or anything like that. It was just characters talking. And it was hot to me, but I wasn't sure if it would translate well to others. This followed a chapter which was pretty much all "on-screen" sex stuff (I write in BDSM, so a lot of things are kind of sex-equivalent that might not be in other genres) that didn't do as well. As in, I wasn't sure if I should keep going with the story, because it didn't seem to land well.

So my question is this: what is your experience with writing stuff where you're just building sexual tension? As a reader, I love that when it's done well, but I've never actually thought about what it means to "do that well," versus having everything "on-screen." I really want to understand this distinction better as a writer.
I enjoy writing the build up elements fast more than the on screen sex element. When I re read my stories, the passages that turn me on most (yes, I find my stories arousing) are the passages where the characters are discussing their feelings and desires.

I always feel readers expect some 'action' and try to oblige but it's the discussion and scene setting that I love the most.

What do you think
https://www.literotica.com/my/#/series/stories

Back