Input on A snippet of My Nude Day Story?

Pureotica

Really Experienced
I stumbled across a back burner project in my file folder, so I'm rewiring it to use as an entry for Nude Day. It’s not exhibitionist, but has a meet-cute-ish scene of accidental-caught nudity. And the chars are naked for most of the story

It's a long term project I've been tinkering with for several years, So I know the characters, and the scenes are closer to ready-for-primetime than my next-best option. I have to retool some parts to convert dual POV to FMCs POV only, because dual POV is too much for a short story.

The piece has a Romance-y under current, but a ton of sex, so I think it could do well, and maybe attract some new readers. Technically age gap, but I don't sign post it or beat it to death with a rock. That aspect is incidental and not played for kink. MLI is a war veteran/ FMC is a 20-ish year old virgin at the start. I plan to place it in first time. Both have trauma that impacts their relationships, but that won't be obvious in this piece. It's a short story reworked from a multi-part /doorstop w.i.p.

For context: FMC wants to surprise MLI by making him dinner. They've liked each other for a while but have resisted it. He doesn't know she's there. Because his ex-wife always made him leave his dirty work clothes in the laundry room, He always strips before he comes in the house. He walks into the kitchen Buck Naked while she's cooking. Played with some humor as a meet-cute like scene. LSS he's taking a shower, and she takes the bull by the horns and joins him, and they fuck their way through the house. It's more erom in tone than straight smut, but still explicit and sexy (one can hope). Story deals with FMCs vulnerability. This snippet comes after the initial sex scene. They are eating together naked, and this scene will transition to a fuck on the kitchen counter.

The Question. I use emdashes as a poetic technique. They're a pause, similar to a semi-colon, and can replace them one for one. They are a little more flexible grammatically. Poets use them to cut away connective language, in order to intentionally fragment language and imagery for impact. It connects two thoughts without the grammatical deadweight, and can add power to prose, especially when trying to translate an abstract emotion into a more concrete image. I've used the technique for a long time, so they are firmly in a blind spot for me. They can be a tripping hazard for those who aren't used to them , and that's my concern. I still want the aesthetic fragmentation, but if the emdashes hurt readability for too many readers, I'll try to find another way. I'll hear feedback in either direction. How do the emdashes land? Are they effective or confusing?

I'll take any other feedback, obviously. I'm adding a bit more overt eroticism because the context changes require more work from the prose in less space. Also, a general question. Is two developed and fully eroticized scenes in one short story too much? (no sex scenes in this segment) I could shorten one with more exposition and fewer details for pacing. Thanks for any feedback, of any kind. A snippet follows. It's out of context but I tried to pick a cohesive segment. I italicized to separate the text. The forum software messes up the formatting when pasting from a doc. I tried to fix it for readability. I've noticed a few spots that can use more detail for clarity or transition. I write lean prose and am capable of underwriting so if you see anything that needs more, I'm open to adding detail. MLI named Patrick. FMC named Cinnamon. POV is Cinnamon's throughout. Thanks.

But after…

After lovemaking, the way she opened for him, somehow the thought of clothes seems tawdry.

She serves him like that—both of them naked.

Setting plates on the hand-crafted table, her body quakes like wind-brushed leaves. The piquant blush of her skin—must be permanent now.

She sits across from Patrick, but close enough for the incidental brush of naked skin. She shivers from the contact.

At first, the sturdy wooden chair chills against her back. Her tender skin. The dry, ambient coolness of the air conditioning, soaked into the varnished wood. Now, the object has siphoned her heat. Exposed like this, she fights the urge to shift and squirm.

Though the room is cool, her body roars like a furnace, flush with radiant heat. Balmy dust devils whirl in her belly, trickle through her, and liquefy in her pussy.

Her hands tremble with each bite—she hopes he doesn’t notice.

But Patrick watches her across the table. She feels his gaze, pressing as a physical weight.

It’s endearing—his efforts not to stare. Here she is, an offered course for his eyes to feast on. His eye contact—it’s intense. For the first time ever, Cinnamon feels truly seen.

She fights the urge to tease him—to arch her back—to place her perky, apple tits where they must be seen. Her tiny nipples tingle. Her breasts swell and tighten—craving touch.

When she breaks eye contact, she can feel his vision drift along the exposed planes of her skin. Wherever she turns, she’s aware of him. His gaze prickles the contours of her her body, like sultry summer heat. Their bodies sheen with pinprick beads of sweat.

They eat like that—naked—in silence.

No words seem fit. Nothing she could say is worthy of violating the sanctity of the moment.

The only time the dash feel a bit odd to me was in "The piquant blush of her skin—must be permanent now."

I don't think there is any problem at all with multiple developed sex scenes, in fact the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

Just spent an age staring at that phrase trying to process it.
ETA: Not a fan of this use of the em dash.
Sorry erotic romance. Thought it was a common enough abbreviation for the audience. Usually erom weaves non erotic and erotic plots, and can (but not always)have more of a romance tone. It's generally pretty smutty, but more slow burn than straight erotica. This isn't particularly slow burn, though. Its basically a fuckfest with enough connecting tissue to hold the scenes together. It leans into the FMCs vulnerability, though so has more romance-y vibe.

The only time the dash feel a bit odd to me was in "The piquant blush of her skin—must be permanent now."

I don't think there is any problem at all with multiple developed sex scenes, in fact the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.
thanks for the feedback. I can smooth the transition and do it another way.

Sorry erotic romance. Thought it was a common enough abbreviation for the audience. Usually erom weaves non erotic and erotic plots, and can (but not always)have more of a romance tone. It's generally pretty smutty, but more slow burn than straight erotica. This isn't particularly slow burn, though. Its basically a fuckfest with enough connecting tissue to hold the scenes together. It leans into the FMCs vulnerability, though so has more romance-y vibe.
No no no, specifically the odd reflection in the words "more erom".

First line, add "has" in front of "opened." The correct tense is present perfect, not past, when the main narrative is in the present tense.

If you are going to use em dashes, then my recommendation is not to use them too much and definitely don't use them too often in too many different ways.

The second sentence is fine.

I don't like the use in the third sentence. Eliminate the dash.

The line with "it's endearing." Change "efforts" to "effort" so it's singular, consistent with "it."

"His eye contact is intense." Using the em dash seems contrived and mannered in this case.

In the "She fights" sentence, I'd replace em dashes with commas. I think you're overdoing it.

"Her breasts swell and tighten, craving his touch." This calls for a comma, not an em dash, and you should insert the possessive pronoun in front of "touch."

"Their bodies shine." "Sheen" is usually a noun. "Shine" is better.

Change "nothing she could say" to "nothing she can say." Since it's not past tense you don't use the conditional "could", you use the present "can."

No no no, specifically the odd reflection in the words "more erom".
Thanks I understand. I could have used preposition or two in there for flow and clarity. Sorry. I sometimes make up my own grammar rules in forum shorthand. More of an erom tone is closer to my intent. Sorry for my forum laziness, and the resulting confusion.

And thanks for the feedback. It was helpful. I tried to edit my reply but Lit forms and my browser don't always play nicely together. It glitches frequently.

I really wasn't complaining. My mind was processing the word erom as an actual reflection of the word before it. I keep looking at erom and seeing more written backwards.

I really wasn't complaining. My mind was processing the word erom as an actual reflection of the word before it. I keep looking at erom and seeing more written backwards.
Okay lightbulb just went on. I didn't even catch that. lol

Okay lightbulb just went on. I didn't even catch that. lol
I must be in the wrong audience, because I didn't know what "erom" meant either.

But then, I have to be careful to explain terms (usually in a note at the bottom or top) like PATH, MoMA, BQE, DUMBO, LIRR, and CUNY.

First line, add "has" in front of "opened." The correct tense is present perfect, not past, when the main narrative is in the present tense.

If you are going to use em dashes, then my recommendation is not to use them too much and definitely don't use them too often in too many different ways.

The second sentence is fine.

I don't like the use in the third sentence. Eliminate the dash.

The line with "it's endearing." Change "efforts" to "effort" so it's singular, consistent with "it."

"His eye contact is intense." Using the em dash seems contrived and mannered in this case.

In the "She fights" sentence, I'd replace em dashes with commas. I think you're overdoing it.

"Her breasts swell and tighten, craving his touch." This calls for a comma, not an em dash, and you should insert the possessive pronoun in front of "touch."

"Their bodies shine." "Sheen" is usually a noun. "Shine" is better.

Change "nothing she could say" to "nothing she can say." Since it's not past tense you don't use the conditional "could", you use the present "can."
I appreciate the feedback. This is pre-edit, and has been sitting in a folder mostly untouched for quite a while. The source story is complex, and while i have a sense of the plot arc, it's a bear to structure it into serialized format in a satisfying way. This is an borrowed scene I'm modifying and repurposing. I'll hopefully have a chance to catch the nit-picky stuff and get a second pair of eyes on it. I'm passingly good at grammar, but confirmation bias lets a lot of stuff slip through. I tend to read what I meant, instead of what I typed. :oops:.

Some of this might change completely when I rewrite. I sometimes under-write in drafts, and miss necessary transitions that make the logic and flow kind of wobbly. I've already spotted a few of those. I'll add the connective tissue I need for structure, flow and logic.

Sheen can be an intransitive verb. It has a more erotic connotation than shine. Sheen puts me in mind of sweaty sex. The verb form is a less common use, but it's not incorrect grammatically. I'm willing to adopt glisten, as a compromise position, because the L sounds in words often evoke erotic or sensual connotations. But glisten is a word I like, and I risk overusing it. I've caught myself using my go-to words twice in the same sentence by accident. Luster would be almost perfect, it has the euphonic L and the subliminal association with lust, but it's verb use is even more archaic than sheen's. Shine is an unsexy word to me, for some reason. Chalk it up to prejudice. I'll tinker with it to see if I can find a better fit.

I kind of obsess over the aesthetics of language, and can lose track of the fiddly mechanical aspects. Forest. Trees. That sort of thing. Never tell a poet we can't do something just because the rules of language don't allow it. It only eggs us on. :sneaky: But I'll always change anything for clarity, unless ambiguity is what I was shooting for in the first place. Sometimes I want an image in a fuzzy liminal space between two competing ideals.

I initially had "breast feel tight and swollen," or some such, but try to nuke filter words whenever possible. They're clutter in most cases. You're correct grammatically about the possessive pronoun. But I want the fragmented thought, for aesthetic reasons. I'll fiddle with it until I find a better way. If I absolutely have to, I'll acquiesce to grammar, but I reserve the right to be sulky about it. :cry:

All in all, I was really happy with the feel of the prose and flow of imagery in this. Reading my older stuff either makes me feel creative, or like a pre-verbal autist, on a case by case basis. I appreciate the feedback, and I will try to get a second set of eyes on the finished project before I post it. I have full scenes to finish and rewrite before it's ready, but this is in better shape than my other two options,. The first option will turn out good, but maybe not if I rush it for the contest, and the other has no words on a page yet, so I don't want to push it.

Thanks. Your feedback was helpful.

Back