Incest vs Romance vs Mature

From my understanding of what Ive read on “step” relations is that it is safest to go in incest because those with a more pure view will bemoan it as incest snd downrate you for being outside of incest.

I'm not so concerned with the newbies as I am with the more experienced folks continuing to beat the dream that one should try to avoid adverse reactions at all cost. I think that's completely, utterly wrong. I don't feel it's insensitive to say so. I think the sort of coaching newbies get on these issues just heightens unnecessary sensitivities and creates what I believe is a wrong-headed attitude that avoiding negative reactions is the norm and the goal. To a significant degree, having a thick skin is a learned trait. I think it's a very helpful one for a writer to have. I offer that perspective as an alternative to the view that I feel many others espouse. People can choose what they want to do.
I agree with you there, but there's a whole coterie of writers who aim to maximise their audience using whatever methods they can, possibly to the detriment of their writing. You know, like the guy who doesn't have a thing for his mother, doesn't even have a sister, but said, "Gee, look at those damn numbers. That's where I'll write!"

What was his name again, started with a P...?

Carry on ;).

I agree with you there, but there's a whole coterie of writers who aim to maximise their audience using whatever methods they can, possibly to the detriment of their writing. You know, like the guy who doesn't have a thing for his mother, doesn't even have a sister, but said, "Gee, look at those damn numbers. That's where I'll write!"

What was his name again, started with a P...?

Carry on ;).
TIL EB keeps CVS level receipts.

giant-cvs-receipt-costume-6271.jpg

I've said this many times and I've been crapped on for it almost every time.

His biological Mom passed away when the boy was 3. The step-mom came into the picture within a few months. There is a 20 year gap in their ages.
I'm a little bit torn.

A situation can be incestuous without being incest. This is right in that spot where, like others mentioned, I/T people won't like that they aren't related by blood, but this person was his mother (figure) enough that other people might find it incestuous enough to not like it.

Personally, I don't see the big distinction between "before divorce" versus "after divorce." She still raised him and is functionally his mother. It only introduces the additional cuck/cheat angle, which has nothing to do with deciding whether it's incest or romance or mature or not.

Well, it's probably anti-romance.

Thanks to everyone who offered their thoughts. I am truly impressed with how civil the discussion was as differing opinions and thoughts were exchanged. Would that all exchanges in life were as mature.

I will put it in the incest category with a sufficient explanation so if the story is not the readers cup of tea, they can skip.

My stories are to develop better writing skills and also create a story that entertains and maybe touches a reader or two. The reward isn't for readership and ratings as that is gravy. Every now and then a reader sends a message saying how the story touched them or how they identified with it. For me, THAT is the reward.

If that makes me a starry-eyed idealist, so be it.

Happy holidays! May the coming New Year be filled with opportunity, friends, family, and prosperity.

Back