I had to buy a new wireless router this morning

KRCummings

Uh...
And I had an issue so I called tech support. Holy fucking shit did they suck.
"My desktop is wired in and connected but the laptops won't connect through the wireless signal."

"Ok, let's check your modem."

"Why?"

"To see if you're getting a connection."

"But I just said..."

"...click click click...OK, Mr. Leematona, I'm sorry you're having a problem. Can you..."

"It's Limatina."

"...click click click...OK, sorry, Mr. Leematona. I'm sorry you're having a problem. Can you restart your computer and turn off your modem for thirty seconds."

"I just told you I did that before I called."

"...click click click...OK, sorry, Mr. Leematona....click click click...Can you restart your computer one more time and turn off your modem for another thirty seconds?"

(I don't do anything but pretend to do it.)

"OK, done."

"...click click click...OK, and Mr. Leematona, can you tell me how many lights are lit up on your modem?"

"All of them."

"...click click click...OK, Mr. Leematona, I have confirmed that you are having a problem with your modem. I am going to forward this to our technical support engineers. Can you hold on and I will transfer you?"

"I don't understand who I just called, then. I thought this was technical support."

"...click click click...yes, Mr. Leematona, and I have confirmed that there is a problem with your modem. Hold on and I will transfer you now."

17 minutes on hold.

New person picks up.

"...click click click..Hello, Mr. Lomatanna, I understand you're having trouble with your modem. I'm sorry to hear that. Can you do me a favor and restart your computer, and turn your modem off for a full 30 seconds...?"

[brain explodes]

that's nothing. when the msdoom or whatever it was called worm (it was a long time ago) was big it took me an hour and half just to get someone to tell me how to turn the firewall on so my computer would stop restarting long enough to run the removal tool. an hour and a half. i talked to four different people. bastards.

Why did you have to buy a new router if your PC is hardwired into it and had a connection?

Sincerely,

Still bored, but now at 42,000 feet.

Why did you have to buy a new router if your PC is hardwired into it and had a connection?

Sincerely,

Dear Not Paying Attention at 42,000 feet and plunging rapidly,

This was after I hooked up the new router.

Sincerely,

The hardwire ports were working.
The wireless port was fried.

I had that happen to me recently as well. Was able to reflash the router though.

I had that happen to me recently as well. Was able to reflash the router though.

Evidently I'm not the only one not paying attention.

Regards,

Now at cruising altitude and somewhat content with a bag of nuts and mimosa.

Also, there's no such thing as 'wireless ports'.

Regards,

Rolling his eyes in mock frustration while the man behind him continues to cough up a lung.

Evidently I'm not the only one not paying attention.

Regards,

Now at cruising altitude and somewhat content with a bag of nuts and mimosa.

What kind of flight are you on? Destination; Hedonism - The Other Island.

"...click click click...OK, Mr. Leematona, I'm sorry you're having a problem. Can you..."

"It's Limatina."

"...click click click...OK, sorry, Mr. Leematona. I'm sorry you're having a problem. Can you restart your computer and turn off your modem for thirty seconds."

"I just told you I did that before I called."

"...click click click...OK, sorry, Mr. Leematona....click click click...Can you restart your computer one more time and turn off your modem for another thirty seconds?"

(I don't do anything but pretend to do it.)

"OK, done."

"...click click click...OK, and Mr. Leematona, can you tell me how many lights are lit up on your modem?"

"All of them."

"...click click click...OK, Mr. Leematona, I have confirmed that you are having a problem with your modem. I am going to forward this to our technical support engineers. Can you hold on and I will transfer you?"

"I don't understand who I just called, then. I thought this was technical support."

"...click click click...yes, Mr. Leematona, and I have confirmed that there is a problem with your modem. Hold on and I will transfer you now."

17 minutes on hold.

New person picks up.

"...click click click..Hello, Mr. Lomatanna, I understand you're having trouble with your modem. I'm sorry to hear that. Can you do me a favor and restart your computer, and turn your modem off for a full 30 seconds...?"

[brain explodes]

Trying to trick the tech support does not get your problem fixed

or

perhaps if they would sub the support out to a firm in Alabama instead of India you would be happier

i don't think i've ever, ever, ever enjoyed a pleasant or completely helpful experience with any tech support. there's always something about the call that makes me wish i could push a button and send a 25K volt charge through the phone line :(

I flashed my router once

old_man_flashing_with_raincoat_thumb12221007709.jpg

Didn't seem to make much difference. :confused:

my netbook has a habit of just turning itself off, generally when i'm right in the middle of a letter (which hasn't yet been saved).
i spent weeks talking to tech support, the hp people, everyone, but it still kept doing it.
then one morning no1son walks into my room and says 'why haven't you got a cool pad?'
problem solved :rolleyes:

Back