Entitlement

DennisB

Really Really Experienced
I know posting this on this board compared to the sex and fetish board is going to get a lot less looks but I dont want to pollute the sex board with nonsexual posts.

So I just spent some time on Youtube today watching meltdowns, public temper tantrums, and just plain crazy customers. Now I get it, you go to a store to buy something and you dont get your stuff. Ok, let's look at this.
#1 the store does not have to serve you. It can close the door and not let you in. The store can charge you what ever it wants to charge you, even if the sign says $2.99, the store can charge you $10.99. It doesnt have to sell you anything. It doesnt have to take your check, or your credit card, that is a nicety from the store. The store can ask you to leave.

#2 you do not have to shop there. You can take your money and shop elsewhere, absolutely!!! Dont give them your money, tell others about the rude service. Eventually when enough people stop going there, they will close. I feel sorry for the kid working there part time or the single mom trying to make a few extra bucks for her family but good workers will find other jobs. You are entitled to get your money back IF you did not get what you paid for. Now if you purchase a flavored soft drink and you just dont like the flavor or you buy a movie ticket and you dont like the show or you purchase a airline seat and you dont show up, that is on you. You selected the flavor, you picked the movie, you woke up late, it is 100% on you. You cannot blame the clerk because you lost your parking stub and now you have to pay the highest price for overnight parking. My favorite John Wayne quote is, "Life is tough, it is even tougher when you're stupid." Yeah it sucks, yes it just ruined your day, but it is all on you. Your kid touched the ceramic vase on the store display and it broke. You have to pay for it.

I watched all these people just going crazy. Demanding to be served, "I am a customer and you need to serve me!" No they dont! By the way, I am not a business owner or work in service, lol. Now here is a good one. When I fly, I love to go to a bar in the terminal and wait for my flight to be ready. Yes, I will have a drink or maybe 2. When I board the plane, I need to behave. Period. I cant pick fights with other customers, yell at the flight attendants, if I cant handle my liquor then I should not be drinking. If I am asked to sit down and stop being disruptive, I have 2 choices. I either sit down and shut up or I leave the plane. But if if I do, I am not entitled to a refund. I got drunk, I got disruptive, I left. Life is full of choices and every choice has good and bad consequences. Everyone now thinks that they are entitled to behave badly in public. I truly think that this is mental illness. I am not talking about voicing your opinion, sure you can. Not yelling. Not spitting. Not throwing things around. Not threatening. You speak calmly and give your opinion. If they do not agree with your opinion, too fucking bad!

"Mam, that dress cost $40.00."
"But this tag stuck on it says $2.99"
I understand mam but that sticker was probably stuck there by another customer.
Well, I want it for that price so you need to sell it to me or I am not leaving!

Animal House..."fat dumb and stupid is no way to go thru life"

Some kid pulled a sticker off of a bag of cookies and stuck it on the dress and pulled the original tag off. Screaming, threatening, and swearing is not going to give you that dress for $2.99. If you do, the police will be called. Assault, threatening to kill someone, battery, damage to property are all crimes. Not selling you a $40 dress for $2.99 is not. You get put on youtube and go to jail and now you have fines, legal fees, court costs,...."life is tough, it is even tougher when you're stupid"

Here is the other thing, I went to buy lottery tickets, new cashier behind the counter, young kid, probably her first week. Got the lottery ticket request all wrong...twice. ok she is a kid, she made a mistake, let's not scream and yell. Yeah, I was busy, yeah it was a simple order, yeah I am in a hurry. Keep yourself in check. If you cant control yourself, someone else will control you, like the police, other citizens, etc.

If the business tries to compensate you for the trouble even if it is your fault, be gracious and appreciate the effort. They dont have to!!!! Yes, the hotel put your luggage on the wrong cart and sent it with a customer who just left. Yeah, that sucks. A mistake. It actually happened to me, lol. So I had no clothes. The hotel gave me a voucher in their clothing store, free dinner for my family AND got me my bag in less than 4 hours! Want to know the secret??? Shhhhh......I was nice. I was upset but I was calm and spoke nicely. Boom, it was raining gifts!

"I would like one of those porters on tap"
Sorry sir we just ran out.
I demand that you get me one of those beers right now!!! That is what i want!!!

You should be asked to leave and never to return....ever!!!! You are too stupid to frequent any bar. And if this bar is always running out of beer, why the fuck do you keep going there?? Obviously they dont manage it correctly, stop going there and go to a good bar!!! The drive up clerks at this fast food place suck, they never get an order correctly, why the fuck do you keep going there??? Go to another fast food place! Stop this entitlement!!! This shit all started with, "no child left behind" Wait, do you mean that I actually have to apply myself, follow rules, and work hard to move up to the next grade? Why cant I just do nothing, act stupid and beligerant and advance to the next grade? Because you should not be able to! Get kept behind, maybe then you will learn that you need to do your homework and not party and play video games all day and night! But Oh, that is what I want to be when I grow up, I will get a job playing video games all day and make a million dollars a year. NO YOU WONT! Life is tough, even tougher when you're stupid. But I am entitled to an education, yes absolutely!!!! I agree 100% with you!!!!! To get that education you must do the effort, you do your homework, you apply yourself, you must follow the rules, you must PAY for it. I am not paying for your education just because you don have any money. I helped pay for my own kids education. Go get a job, apply for a grant or loan. Be responsible.

Driving is a priviledge not a right. If you cant afford all the licenses and fees, dont drive. And I agree with you, all the fees and taxes are ridiculous. Well, be careful who you vote for or move to another state. You must obey the traffic laws, you must get a license, you must get license plates and carry insurance if that is the law. If you dont want to do those things, public transportation or walk. It is way cheaper than owning a vehicle! You are not a "traveler" you are operating a moving vehicle on a public road. You need an operator's license. It is not that hard people!

You get to pick up to 2 choices of wing sauce. Yes I get it, they have 20 different flavors, no you dont get all 20. Now you can pay extra and get all 20. The wings and 2 sauces have been calculated in the price of that meal. Along with napkins and utensils including the plate, bowl, bag, etc. That is all you get. The restaurant needs to make money as well. You want more, you pay for more. Sure, if I was the owner, I would love for you to buy more...chaching more money! If i gave everyone all 20 sauces, guess what i lose money. You dont throw a tantrum in the restaurant throwing food and displays around! What the fuck is wrong with you?!?!?! If the clerk doesnt speak english, then dont frequent that store! Go somewhere else. You dont have a girly hissy fit and throw food and use racial slurs. Hey, I dont understand you so here is your bottle of unopened soda back and these pretzels, may I please have my money back. When he gives you your money back, take it and walk out. If he doesnt give you your money back, take your soda and pretzels and walk out. If he keeps all of it, call the police. That is theft. Thank the officer for coming out, stores have video cameras, your word against the clerk and push comes to shove, eat the $4 dollars but tell all your friends not to go there because they dont understand english and they stole from you. I guarantee the store will not stay open for long. On there last day, stand on the sidewalk and wave bye bye to them and tell them that they should have given you your $4 back. You dont throw merchandise around, call them names, break shit, what is wrong with you?!?!?

Mental illness. Now if I am totally wrong and incorrect, please enlighten me. Show me where it says that you must stop traffic and attack someone if they didnt see you and merged over into your lane? They suck at driving. They should not drive. You do NOT have the right to threaten or attack them! I dont care what you have to say or think! They suck at driving, period. You attack someone, you go to jail. Yeah, they might get a traffic ticket for improper lane change. $50 bucks for them. YOU....now you have a felony on your record, you may lose your privilege to drive since you are a menace, court fees, prison time, community service, lost your job, cant get a good one with a felony on your record. Life is tough, even tougher when you're stupid. It is not worth it!!!! Stay calm. Control yourself or someone else will. If you cant handle your alcohol, then dont drink or drink at home and alone.

Ok, my rant is done. So if I am wrong, I would be open to listen to reasons why I got it all wrong

I know posting this on this board compared to the sex and fetish board is going to get a lot less looks but I dont want to pollute the sex board with nonsexual posts.

So I just spent some time on Youtube today watching meltdowns, public temper tantrums, and just plain crazy customers. Now I get it, you go to a store to buy something and you dont get your stuff. Ok, let's look at this.
#1 the store does not have to serve you. It can close the door and not let you in. The store can charge you what ever it wants to charge you, even if the sign says $2.99, the store can charge you $10.99. It doesnt have to sell you anything. It doesnt have to take your check, or your credit card, that is a nicety from the store. The store can ask you to leave.

#2 you do not have to shop there. You can take your money and shop elsewhere, absolutely!!! Dont give them your money, tell others about the rude service. Eventually when enough people stop going there, they will close. I feel sorry for the kid working there part time or the single mom trying to make a few extra bucks for her family but good workers will find other jobs. You are entitled to get your money back IF you did not get what you paid for. Now if you purchase a flavored soft drink and you just dont like the flavor or you buy a movie ticket and you dont like the show or you purchase a airline seat and you dont show up, that is on you. You selected the flavor, you picked the movie, you woke up late, it is 100% on you. You cannot blame the clerk because you lost your parking stub and now you have to pay the highest price for overnight parking. My favorite John Wayne quote is, "Life is tough, it is even tougher when you're stupid." Yeah it sucks, yes it just ruined your day, but it is all on you. Your kid touched the ceramic vase on the store display and it broke. You have to pay for it.

I watched all these people just going crazy. Demanding to be served, "I am a customer and you need to serve me!" No they dont! By the way, I am not a business owner or work in service, lol. Now here is a good one. When I fly, I love to go to a bar in the terminal and wait for my flight to be ready. Yes, I will have a drink or maybe 2. When I board the plane, I need to behave. Period. I cant pick fights with other customers, yell at the flight attendants, if I cant handle my liquor then I should not be drinking. If I am asked to sit down and stop being disruptive, I have 2 choices. I either sit down and shut up or I leave the plane. But if if I do, I am not entitled to a refund. I got drunk, I got disruptive, I left. Life is full of choices and every choice has good and bad consequences. Everyone now thinks that they are entitled to behave badly in public. I truly think that this is mental illness. I am not talking about voicing your opinion, sure you can. Not yelling. Not spitting. Not throwing things around. Not threatening. You speak calmly and give your opinion. If they do not agree with your opinion, too fucking bad!

"Mam, that dress cost $40.00."
"But this tag stuck on it says $2.99"
I understand mam but that sticker was probably stuck there by another customer.
Well, I want it for that price so you need to sell it to me or I am not leaving!

Animal House..."fat dumb and stupid is no way to go thru life"

Some kid pulled a sticker off of a bag of cookies and stuck it on the dress and pulled the original tag off. Screaming, threatening, and swearing is not going to give you that dress for $2.99. If you do, the police will be called. Assault, threatening to kill someone, battery, damage to property are all crimes. Not selling you a $40 dress for $2.99 is not. You get put on youtube and go to jail and now you have fines, legal fees, court costs,...."life is tough, it is even tougher when you're stupid"

Here is the other thing, I went to buy lottery tickets, new cashier behind the counter, young kid, probably her first week. Got the lottery ticket request all wrong...twice. ok she is a kid, she made a mistake, let's not scream and yell. Yeah, I was busy, yeah it was a simple order, yeah I am in a hurry. Keep yourself in check. If you cant control yourself, someone else will control you, like the police, other citizens, etc.

If the business tries to compensate you for the trouble even if it is your fault, be gracious and appreciate the effort. They dont have to!!!! Yes, the hotel put your luggage on the wrong cart and sent it with a customer who just left. Yeah, that sucks. A mistake. It actually happened to me, lol. So I had no clothes. The hotel gave me a voucher in their clothing store, free dinner for my family AND got me my bag in less than 4 hours! Want to know the secret??? Shhhhh......I was nice. I was upset but I was calm and spoke nicely. Boom, it was raining gifts!

"I would like one of those porters on tap"
Sorry sir we just ran out.
I demand that you get me one of those beers right now!!! That is what i want!!!

You should be asked to leave and never to return....ever!!!! You are too stupid to frequent any bar. And if this bar is always running out of beer, why the fuck do you keep going there?? Obviously they dont manage it correctly, stop going there and go to a good bar!!! The drive up clerks at this fast food place suck, they never get an order correctly, why the fuck do you keep going there??? Go to another fast food place! Stop this entitlement!!! This shit all started with, "no child left behind" Wait, do you mean that I actually have to apply myself, follow rules, and work hard to move up to the next grade? Why cant I just do nothing, act stupid and beligerant and advance to the next grade? Because you should not be able to! Get kept behind, maybe then you will learn that you need to do your homework and not party and play video games all day and night! But Oh, that is what I want to be when I grow up, I will get a job playing video games all day and make a million dollars a year. NO YOU WONT! Life is tough, even tougher when you're stupid. But I am entitled to an education, yes absolutely!!!! I agree 100% with you!!!!! To get that education you must do the effort, you do your homework, you apply yourself, you must follow the rules, you must PAY for it. I am not paying for your education just because you don have any money. I helped pay for my own kids education. Go get a job, apply for a grant or loan. Be responsible.

Driving is a priviledge not a right. If you cant afford all the licenses and fees, dont drive. And I agree with you, all the fees and taxes are ridiculous. Well, be careful who you vote for or move to another state. You must obey the traffic laws, you must get a license, you must get license plates and carry insurance if that is the law. If you dont want to do those things, public transportation or walk. It is way cheaper than owning a vehicle! You are not a "traveler" you are operating a moving vehicle on a public road. You need an operator's license. It is not that hard people!

You get to pick up to 2 choices of wing sauce. Yes I get it, they have 20 different flavors, no you dont get all 20. Now you can pay extra and get all 20. The wings and 2 sauces have been calculated in the price of that meal. Along with napkins and utensils including the plate, bowl, bag, etc. That is all you get. The restaurant needs to make money as well. You want more, you pay for more. Sure, if I was the owner, I would love for you to buy more...chaching more money! If i gave everyone all 20 sauces, guess what i lose money. You dont throw a tantrum in the restaurant throwing food and displays around! What the fuck is wrong with you?!?!?! If the clerk doesnt speak english, then dont frequent that store! Go somewhere else. You dont have a girly hissy fit and throw food and use racial slurs. Hey, I dont understand you so here is your bottle of unopened soda back and these pretzels, may I please have my money back. When he gives you your money back, take it and walk out. If he doesnt give you your money back, take your soda and pretzels and walk out. If he keeps all of it, call the police. That is theft. Thank the officer for coming out, stores have video cameras, your word against the clerk and push comes to shove, eat the $4 dollars but tell all your friends not to go there because they dont understand english and they stole from you. I guarantee the store will not stay open for long. On there last day, stand on the sidewalk and wave bye bye to them and tell them that they should have given you your $4 back. You dont throw merchandise around, call them names, break shit, what is wrong with you?!?!?

Mental illness. Now if I am totally wrong and incorrect, please enlighten me. Show me where it says that you must stop traffic and attack someone if they didnt see you and merged over into your lane? They suck at driving. They should not drive. You do NOT have the right to threaten or attack them! I dont care what you have to say or think! They suck at driving, period. You attack someone, you go to jail. Yeah, they might get a traffic ticket for improper lane change. $50 bucks for them. YOU....now you have a felony on your record, you may lose your privilege to drive since you are a menace, court fees, prison time, community service, lost your job, cant get a good one with a felony on your record. Life is tough, even tougher when you're stupid. It is not worth it!!!! Stay calm. Control yourself or someone else will. If you cant handle your alcohol, then dont drink or drink at home and alone.

Ok, my rant is done. So if I am wrong, I would be open to listen to reasons why I got it all wrong

Welcome to the new and improved General Board. Yeah sorry tho. Didn't read it. Someone might. :)

The store can charge you what ever it wants to charge you, even if the sign says $2.99, the store can charge you $10.99. It doesnt have to sell you anything.

Not in the UK. If it's advertised at a certain price, by law they have to sell it to you at that price.

Quebec: if the product is tagged at $2.99 and you get charged 10.99; you get the product free

We do have a strict refund policy though.

Quebec: if the product is tagged at $2.99 and you get charged 10.99; you get the product free

We do have a strict refund policy though.

That seems like a bad deal. I don't know that I would want to spend $10.99 to get a $2.99 item for free. :p

having lived in america 3 and a half years, now, there's a huge difference in that general sense of entitlement between here and the u.k.

we saw it back in the uk with some retail american customers who thought they should be treated like royalty no matter how rude or ignorant or messy they were. one girl left a load of clothes all over the place in the changing room, expecting the elderly volunteer helper to go clear up after her... she was completely stunned when i asked her to pick them up, put them back on the hangers and return them to the rails. i was polite but firm, and she did it, in total shock. over here, her attitude seems to be considered 'normal', same as not putting chairs back in place when people leave a restaurant, or even saying please and thankyou as basic good manners. think it might be a bit different further north but it's like that down here.

if someone's asking for something, they don't say 'i'll have water, thankyou' or 'can i have x/y/z, please', it's 'i'll take a' or 'get me a'. they don't even perceive that as rude.

there's a whole lot of returning stuff here that we'd never accept back for a refund/replacement in the uk either.

the biggest difference would seem to be americans treat serving staff as something beneath themselves rather than other people just doing a job and deserving of the same civility and respect as the next person.

it is very much a cultural thing and not sure it has much of anything to do with mental illness, though in difficult days affect everyone and some will find them more difficult to handle.

i would say this whole sense of entitlement is behind the lack of socially responsible compliance when it comes to masks/distancing--and is fuelled by the proclamations top down. they're 'bored' with being inconvenienced. how dare a virus mean they can't do whatever the hell they feel like doing?

A couple of days ago a woman customer threw a fit because she was reminded that the store had a one-way route. She started yelling and screaming before pulling dozens of wine bottles off a shelf so they smashed on the floor.

https://youtu.be/2J92Pw06Bl0

All that was caught on the store's CCTV and went viral. The Police found her and issued her with three cautions (and had to pay compensation). It seems a weak response but if she tries something similar in any store for the next year she will be in court for the recent offence and the later one.

Not in the UK. If it's advertised at a certain price, by law they have to sell it to you at that price.

Same here ...

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/advertising-faqs-guide-small-business

What responsibility does a company have to make sure that prices are accurate?

In many jurisdictions, companies are legally required to charge no more than the advertised or shelf price for a product, so good pricing practices are important for both customer satisfaction and a company’s bottom line. For tips on accurate pricing practices in advertising and in retail stores, ask the FTC for Good Pricing Practices? SCAN DO.

State laws generally govern retail pricing.

That seems like a bad deal. I don't know that I would want to spend $10.99 to get a $2.99 item for free. :p

Oops, it is $10 and under

This policy provides for compensation if the price shown at the cash register is higher than the one in the store. The merchant must:

give you the good for free if the item costs $10 or less;
sell you the good at the price displayed on the shelf and give you a $10 discount if the product costs more than $10.

Advertised is the key word. If another customer has swapped a price label that doesn't count.

A few years ago I saw an advert in the Sunday Times for a mono laser printer. At the time the usual price was over ÂŁ100 but this said ÂŁ29.95.

I was on holiday but that was too good an offer to miss. On Monday I went to the closest outlet in the chain. Their price was ÂŁ105.99. They didn't believe the price given in the Sunday Times. I had to go back to the holiday home to retrieve my copy. The manager checked with the chain's HQ and was told to honour the offer which had been a mistake only appearing in the Sunday Times. Everywhere else it was advertised at ÂŁ79.95.

I am still using that printer now.

The opposite can also be true.

I had a customer who bought one specific product once a year. Before I got on board with the company, they were paying about half price. I told them my first year that I will be increasing their price next year.

The next year came and they bitched (of course.) I gave them a reprieve. The following year, the same thing but I told them to either pay the fair price or fuck off.

They paid and came back. :cool:

The USA is past the peak of its empire, but it hasn't yet had a complete asskicking like Germany or Japan in WWII. A few decades of being China's bitch will wipe away the arrogance.

What crack are these assholes with 15 or 20 year old IDs and no or few posts crawling out of, and why?

Mommy, why is there a fake picture of me up there?

wednesday.jpg

Ha....the whiners, complainers, and generally entitled jackasses have simply never owned or operated a business......most retail businesses have to add an additional 25% to 30% to the price of everything they sell to make up for all of the theft, scams, surreptitious pricing etc. bottom line is....they are simply clueless. in my stores you get it how i want it to be sold or you don't get it. if you dont like it you are free to get the fuck out and never come back. in fact, if you do come back and i recognize you, im just as liable to not let you buy a thing. if, on the other hand, you are respectful, have some sense, and act right i will probably bend over backwards to help you up to and including outright giving things to someone who really needs it and can't afford it but isn't demanding it or even asking for it. its my store and i get to exercise my own fairness doctrine period. take it or leave it. local law enforcement are on speed dial to come take away anyone who wants to make a stand and think they can demand me to sell them something at some rip off price they have stuck on the item. its actually a law called theft by deception. luckily, in my area, laws are still enforced and people are not going to put up with stupid BS.

And some people in America don't understand - "We reserve the right NOT to serve you."

But I'm pretty sure there are people in other countries who are just as big of an asshole as those here in the States. In fact I see a lot of them in the Idiots in Cars videos from all over the world. England and Australia included as well as the States.

In fact I had to deal with Idiots in Cars for 8 years of my life, and it was in the service, on a airbase in Colorado which is a very structured society. I lost count of how many drunk officers I had to pull out of their cars when they wouldn't get out when asked nicely. Or how many future officers who acted like they were special in some way yet were just another asshole to me. The primary authority on a base is the Base Commander, I represented him, not myself. I also represented the U.S. Air Force and if you ran afoul of me you were usually in deep trouble already.

And that's why when I finally decided when I got out to go back to school and deal with computers in stead of people, but wound up dealing with people the rest of my life. Most were respectful, a very few weren't. They both received the treatment they deserved.

Last edited:
Nearly 60 years ago I was taken to a rural public house that was renowned for the way they kept and served cask beers.

But the pub was run by two eccentric old ladies. If they didn't like you, or you were an awkward customer you would be shown the door and told never to come back. They keep shotguns loaded with rock salt as the ultimate deterrent which they rarely used.

A few weeks before I went, a group of young motorcyclists had turned up and had been obnoxious. They were asked to leave but laughed at the old ladies, who peppered them with rock salt.

The police arrived but were told by the other customers that the motorcyclists had been rude, aggressive and had caused damage. The old ladies were told NOT to use their legal shotguns again. The motorcyclists withdrew their complaint when they were told they could be prosecuted for aaault and criminal damge.

Go to 2014. I was scanning advertising for an Asus gaming computer. Found an ad for $1299.00 which was about a thousand less than any of the dozen or so other ads I looked at. So I ordered the Asus on a Friday night.
The next morning by 8:00 am I had a call from the supplier and the caller asked me if I knew the computer I ordered was reconditioned.
I replied that this was not indicated in the ad, and I will cancel the order.
She said, No, we will make this right, you will receive a new computer.
Monday morning, I had delivery of a new laptop, same model and specs.

I have worked Retail and Fast Food many decades ago, I don't remember seeing the level of Entitlement that seems so prevalent today.

The Human standing in front of you generally has no say in much of anything unless they are the Owner or close enough to have real decision-making powers.

I have had some of these Humans (whether in person or on the phone) apologize for any inconvenience that may have been experienced. I usually say to them there is no need to apologize because they didn't cause the problem, but... if it makes them feel better I will yell at them the next time.

It really lightens the mood, and I hope makes up for some of the absolutely horrible people they have to deal with on a regular basis.

Still, when I buy something I expect it to perform to the advertised standards because that's what Commerce is all about. I'm not willing to take it out on the front-line worker for the mistakes of Manglement.

Back