How would YOU tell the Ugly Duckling story?

I mean, it’s your call, but i’ll be honest: my eyes tend to just bounce past your posts, and it’s pretty much entirely down to the font. There’s a reason sans serif fonts are the default online, and it’s because they ARE more readable for more people on screens. They tend to have thicker lines, since they devote none of the space for an individual character to the extra bits. I get that you prefer serif fonts; that’s fine. But it might be better to post in Arial and then use a browser extension (assuming you’re on PC or Mac) to convert everyone’s Arial to the font of your choice on your end.
If Lit supported that, I'd be thrilled. But despite the fact that most sites allow me to convert the text to my browser default, for some reason these forums refuse to cooperate. Even in their new interface, only their font shows up. I've tried a dozen different combinations in the settings, but nothing works.

It's a fair point, but he did so through his wits rather than with his fists. What he did wasn't morally perfect, but he relied upon his own preexisting skills and abilities rather than transforming into a bully like those who tormented him.
I agree. He didn't, he did not have the capacity or tools to. But you also said he didn't try to beat them at their own game and he did. Physical revenge is only one way to go about it. As Sun Tzu put it, “The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”

Comshaw

I agree. He didn't, he did not have the capacity or tools to. But you also said he didn't try to beat them at their own game and he did. Physical revenge is only one way to go about it. As Sun Tzu put it, “The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”

Comshaw

I'm chewing over your comment because I think there's a lot to what you're saying. I think the issue of whether he played by their game or his is complicated. The story is subtle. He gets good old fashioned revenge, ultimately, but he does so through skills he has brought with him to prison: his accounting knowledge, rock collecting, and his ability to plan. The story does a wonderful job of planting seeds early on and then seeing them grow without the moviegoer fully understanding what's going on until the end. Like the way it uses the warden's advice to Andy: "Salvation lies within."

I'm chewing over your comment because I think there's a lot to what you're saying. I think the issue of whether he played by their game or his is complicated. The story is subtle. He gets good old fashioned revenge, ultimately, but he does so through skills he has brought with him to prison: his accounting knowledge, rock collecting, and his ability to plan. The story does a wonderful job of planting seeds early on and then seeing them grow without the moviegoer fully understanding what's going on until the end. Like the way it uses the warden's advice to Andy: "Salvation lies within."
The majority of times there are numerous ways to go about things. Had he had the tools to do so, he could have gone Punisher on them, killed the warden, the guard captain and guards that tormented him escaped to Mexico and lived a quiet life thereafter. That's one way. The other is the way he did it, by being patient, tweaking things so that when he did escape he would have the resources to live comfortably and get the law and karma to do the rest. Both serve the same purpose, in essence, do the same thing but are accomplished from different directions with different tools. It's all a matter of using what you have to accomplish what you want.

Comshaw

A bug has been planted in Laurel's ear.
Laurel says it's up to y'all. She's good with it if there's enough interest from you. So I'll ask again, should we give it a go? This would be a challenge, not a contest, so I'm thinking of tying it in to the Valentine's Day contest where submissions could fit both. Unless you have a better idea?

Laurel says it's up to y'all. She's good with it if there's enough interest from you. So I'll ask again, should we give it a go? This would be a challenge, not a contest, so I'm thinking of tying it in to the Valentine's Day contest where submissions could fit both. Unless you have a better idea?

As much as we have enough challenges ... this is a darn good idea.

If Lit supported that, I'd be thrilled. But despite the fact that most sites allow me to convert the text to my browser default, for some reason these forums refuse to cooperate. Even in their new interface, only their font shows up. I've tried a dozen different combinations in the settings, but nothing works.
For those who hate my font, sorry to hear that. I will try to remember to bump it up a size to try to compensate for whatever is happening on your ends. I'm simply not willing to give up my beloved serifs, however. I was (arguably) irrationally delighted when I realized we had the option to change the font, and seeing them in the mass of blocky, angular text that dominates the site is like seeing a flower growing out of a sidewalk to me.
Incidentally, I tried earlier today using a browser extension to override the site's font override, and while that sort of worked, it broke all the widgets like the bell and envelope and all the controls on the text box. I presume that means those are somehow packaged in with the site's font, which I suppose is why they feel the need for a override. Getting well out of my wheelhouse there, though.
I also made a request to the site to consider letting us set text style preferences, although I have no idea how likely it is that it will be considered. I already have to select my preferred font for every comment, and embiggening the text will be another step I expect I will sometimes forget. Hopefully there will come a day when I can just set it at... 18 I guess... and it will always be there.

At least that size is readable.
For those who hate my font, sorry to hear that. I will try to remember to bump it up a size to try to compensate for whatever is happening on your ends. I'm simply not willing to give up my beloved serifs, however. I was (arguably) irrationally delighted when I realized we had the option to change the font, and seeing them in the mass of blocky, angular text that dominates the site is like seeing a flower growing out of a sidewalk to me.
Incidentally, I tried earlier today using a browser extension to override the site's font override, and while that sort of worked, it broke all the widgets like the bell and envelope and all the controls on the text box. I presume that means those are somehow packaged in with the site's font, which I suppose is why they feel the need for a override. Getting well out of my wheelhouse there, though.
I also made a request to the site to consider letting us set text style preferences, although I have no idea how likely it is that it will be considered. I already have to select my preferred font for every comment, and embiggening the text will be another step I expect I will sometimes forget. Hopefully there will come a day when I can just set it at... 18 I guess... and it will always be there.

Omg this font is huge! ;)

That seems like it could be a very polite and roundabout way of telling me to find other Cygni to type to instead.
You can be a swan with serifs. But you can't be a swan with a microscopic font. Swans go big.

You can be a swan with serifs. But you can't be a swan with a microscopic font. Swans go big.
Well, again, I don't know what's going on with that, as they render the same size as every other available font on my browser (although Verdana does seem slightly larger). I can see from the screenshots that other people have different experiences, but that's out of my control. I'm trying to be a good neighbor on this issue and compensate for whatever is going wrong with the scaling, which can't reasonably be blamed on the serifs themselves, although I expect soon enough someone will (genuinely) complain about my posts being too big. 🤷‍♀️
And as to the original question before the assembly, I have no interest in the duck, duck, swan challenge, so I will be abandoning this thread. Please try to avoid quoting me or tagging me and drawing me and my swans-serif font back to the duck pond.

I'd have a sex ed teacher take a class of 18-year-olds on a field trip to a hook-up bar.

While guys are flocking to these hot innocent but keen-to-learn virgins, one of the girls sits rejected.

All the girls laugh at her because no guy will let her gobble him in the toilets because she identifies as a duck, quacks and wears a beak.

She waddles away to the local takeaway to get an anchovy pizza. There while waiting she meets some Aussies who tell her she's the hottest platypus they've ever seen.

She suddenly has an epiphany, "that's why i can't fly, I'm a beautiful platypus" and thanks the guys with a threesome while the pizza cooks.

I have no interest in the duck, duck, swan challenge, so I will be abandoning this thread. Please try to avoid quoting me or tagging me and drawing me and my swans-serif font back to the duck pond.

The waterfowl will miss you, serifs or no serifs. That is all.

Back