World's First Literotica Ugly Duckling Story Non-contest Event Thread of Support

jaF0

Watcher
Hey, how's that for a convoluted title?

The premise is discussed here ... before it derailed. ( https://forum.literotica.com/threads/how-would-you-tell-the-ugly-duckling-story.1596207/ )

So, here goes again. Told YOUR way (like the old burger joint slogan), the tale of the Ugly Duckling who transforms into the beautiful Swan. Or maybe the caterpillar who turns into a butterfly. The frog and the Prince? The downtrodden, unpopular, always looked over kid (or space thing) that undergoes some form of transformation, even if only by natural aging and maturity into someone far more popular and desireable.

Any story category, any genre is eligible. All standard Lit rules apply. (Special note on the age rule here, so we don't have problems).

Main character can be whatever you wish, male, female, humanoid, alien, tentacle creature, etc.

Goal? There is none. Revenge is not required and maybe not desired. Story can be serious or comedic or anywhere in between. Maybe the moral is a simple life lesson in growing up and being forgiving of past problems.

The method of change can be natural aging as mentioned above or something else, maybe something magical or other wordly. It could even be a TransGender story if done with respect, tact and taste.

Timing? Open. One of the plans was to coincide with the Valentine's Day contest, but that may be too close on the calendar for busy writers. Maybe the Spring Fling? Summer Loving?

All interested authors can participate. The key is to be original as possible in spite of the multitude of teen coming of age movies out there. But again, remember the age rule.

On the submission form, make note of the Ugly Duckling Challenge, but the title doesn't need to include a reference to it.

This is not a Lit contest and there are no prizes.

Questions?

Not a question, but pointing out that you mention being careful of the age rule twice, and "coming of age". I get that's a common trope with this angle, but one can 'transform' at any age. The boring frumpy 40ish woman stuck in a crappy marriage with a husband that made her feel less than. Now single, maybe one of her friends gives her a make over, gets her a new wardrobe, takes her out to a singles bar....

So, it doesn't have to be limited to as you said the endless teen stories.

Of course not. There could be a Logan's Run type tale of a society where things happen at age 30.

There's a Mature category, so maybe a Cocoon type story of a later in life change.

Also, popularity and acceptance aren't always about appearance only. They can be behavioral. Someone could come into their own as a mentor to others.

The notes are a caution to those who might want to push the lower limits.

I’m down. I have a story I’ve been trying to write, but it just didn’t work. Putting it into the ugly duckling category might allow the artistic license necessary.

EDIT: Can we publish any time?

Last edited:
Hi! I need some feedback. Does Dickens' Scrooge count as an Ugly Duckling? That would be an example of Mature changing behaviour completely - he might even get married!
What about Jack Nicholson's character in 'As Good as It Gets' movie (1997)? He would have to be around 60 years old.

And I didn't understand the deadline. Everyone posts when they want, but tagged 'Ugly Duckling'?

Fortunately, one of my current WIPs fits this perfectly.

Unfortunately, I've been terrible at actually finishing things recently.

Fortunately, there's no deadline.

Unfortunately, I work better under pressure.

I noticed this never got picked up on any of the challenges lists. Either Admin is too busy with contests or they didn't like the idea after all.

Write if you wish, but it doesn't seem like it will be supported as others are.

No offense, but I'm guessing the lack of response here has something to do with the site not picking it up.

Whether its the idea or there's too damn many of these things(Personally, I feel that way) but it is what it is.

So that's that then.

Terrific. Although I do agree that there are too many challenges, it is nice to choose a couple of them each year and participate. This year I just worked too much, killing much of my muse and eating up vast chunks of writing time. Next year that should change, but I guess it doesn't matter now since the three that inspire me are likely all getting dropped. First Spillane, which was overrun by the broad vague (and unchallenging!) crime and punishment event. C&P had 36 entries while Spillane only had 15 and Spillane would have had more but for all the folks who openly admitted (and probably a few who didn't) who moved their originally gritty noir idea from Spillane to C&P. This likely kills Spillane for next year with a challenge that is far too vague to be a challenge. Then Heartbeats and Music which only had 9 entries so probably won't continue again next year. And now Duckling which is dead before it even started.

Now I have time to write and no events to participate in. :p

So that's that then.

Terrific. Although I do agree that there are too many challenges, it is nice to choose a couple of them each year and participate. This year I just worked too much, killing much of my muse and eating up vast chunks of writing time. Next year that should change, but I guess it doesn't matter now since the three that inspire me are likely all getting dropped. First Spillane, which was overrun by the broad vague (and unchallenging!) crime and punishment event. C&P had 36 entries while Spillane only had 15 and Spillane would have had more but for all the folks who openly admitted (and probably a few who didn't) who moved their originally gritty noir idea from Spillane to C&P. This likely kills Spillane for next year with a challenge that is far too vague to be a challenge. Then Heartbeats and Music which only had 9 entries so probably won't continue again next year. And now Duckling which is dead before it even started.

Now I have time to write and no events to participate in. :p
This is sort of what happened to me. I wrote an entry for Tales of Leneire (?), only to find out it will be skipped next year. Thought I was getting ahead of the game, but don't need to be *that* far ahead. Then I got excited about this and wrote a non-con entry using the theme, only to find out it died on the vine. At least this one I can submit as non-con once I tidy it up a bit.

It does seem the amount of contest and challenges has grown. The ordeal makes this one no more different than the 750 word one- that one was more of a writing alleycat, if you will.

Back