How to have great vaginal hygiene

I have an engineering degree and for my senior project I engineered my way from a user's dirty, drug across the kitchen floor vag to a squeaky clean, spotless one that you could take home and show to mom. I used a little ammonia, a little bleach and finished it off with some nice 2,000 grit sandpaper! It was not only clean, but it has a nice shine to it as well.

I see a new picture thread in your future ;)

Because as far as I can tell, a lot of members here (not all of them, by no means, but unfortunately the ones I am talking about are also the loudest)...

That should read "by any means", dumbass. :rolleyes: You used a double negative.

I'm totally kidding. I just thought it would be appropriate to say given your post. :D I promise I was just kidding. My previous post was probably filled with errors as it was written on a mobile. :)

well everything in the OP is about how to keep it clean while at home. how about while outside or at work o.o

Your post had a bit of a dickish tone to it. What does that say?

What does that say? Well, that says something similar to that quote somewhere which says something a bit like "The only thing you should be intolerant of is intolerance" Or tolerance must be protected by intolerance, or something. We discussed it in Philosophy and Ethics in year 10 or so, and the concept made an impression on me. Do you kinda know what I mean? I'm not generally a shouty person..... unless you're mean to someone, and then I get really shouty.

Although I'd probably consider my current emotion to be "incredibly exasperated" rather than "dickish". But this is the internet and therefore my tone will probably be interpreted a million different ways.
That should read "by any means", dumbass. :rolleyes: You used a double negative.

I'm totally kidding. I just thought it would be appropriate to say given your post. :D I promise I was just kidding. My previous post was probably filled with errors as it was written on a mobile. :)

I really hope you were! :) However thank you for pointing out the embarrassing typo/grammar error/god knows where that came from. I'm a bit tired and stressy. And cheers for not being angry with me and all. People being mean kind of frustrates me.

Wow, how have I ever survived owning a vagina for this long, giving it only the basic daily maintenance of washing with soap and water in the shower? And only Ivory soap!

Couple of things: Once you've had a yeast infection, you KNOW what one feels like from the very first twinges. Thanks to OTC Monistat and Canesten, these can usually be treated before the stage where you are ready to stick a toilet brush up your vag and rotate on it.

Now, something like bacterial vaginosis is another beast alltogether, and I would certainly not recommend douching with Borax! :eek:This bit of nastiness requires a doctors trip, swab, and some antibiotics (Flagyl). I wouldn't mess around with home remedies for this one, any sort of douching in particular. Pushing the bacteria further up your reproductive tract is a major no no, and these types of infections are already known to cause scarring of the fallopian tubes. It is always best to see a doctor if you think you have something funky going on down below and you are not sure exactly what it is.

Keeping clean and dry, and eating a good healthy diet is pretty much all I think is required to keep the lady bits in tip top shape. There is some evidence that women prone to yeast infections can reduce their incidence with probiotics, and watching their sugars, as yeast "feeds" on sugar.

But no matter what you do, a pussy is still going to smell/taste like a pussy, folks! Some women have stronger scents than others, and it also varies throughout a woman's cycle. I wonder if the men who have been complaining to you about the state of female genitalia these days have tried sniffing 'round a set of unwashed balls recently?

Oh, and as for anal to vaginal sex...I'd never want to risk it. If you must, use a condom for the anal, and remove it and put a fresh one on for vaginal sex.

As a card carrying owner of a vagina, that's my two cents! I grew up in the days of FDS feminine sprays and scented tampons, watching commercials of young women skipping through fields of flowers, while a voice over talked about keeping fresh and clean in a singsong tone. Always made me feel like a vagina was something akin to a cesspool from hell. For years I found it hard to enjoy receiving oral sex because of that. I don't think women need any more reason to feel worried or self conscious about their feminine hygiene...the advertisers and media already do a fine job of that.

Thanks for starting up the conversation about 'feminine hygiene', OP. :)

On my favourite reference website, one tip that is presented in regards to this matter is to wear cotton knickers because they're better for your vulva, and to try not to wear knickers 24/7. Does this bottomless routine seem like a wise precaution, or is it overkill?

Thanks for starting up the conversation about 'feminine hygiene', OP. :)

On my favourite reference website, one tip that is presented in regards to this matter is to wear cotton knickers because they're better for your vulva, and to try not to wear knickers 24/7. Does this bottomless routine seem like a wise precaution, or is it overkill?

Cotton is more breathable, but some of the newer fabrics like microfiber wick moisture away from your body better and dry quicker. My daily panties are microfiber (they may have some cotton in them, too; I'll have to check the label), and I only get yeast overgrowth (I treat it before it becomes a true infection) during a course or two of serious antibiotics.

It is, of course, a really bad idea to stay in any wet clothing for long periods of time. Swimsuits are the best known culprit, and perhaps why most of us got our first yeast infections, running around all day in a swimsuit all summer long.

As for the OP, with all due respect:

Every women's doctor/PA/ARNP I've been to has cautioned against using soap inside the labia. Washing the inner thighs, butt, mons pubis and external/hair-growing labia skin with a mild soap and warm water is fine, but using soaps, scented products, douching w/o a doctor's advice, etc., inside the labia is asking for trouble for a lot of women. That advice is even more important for women who are sensitive and/or more prone to infections/imbalances.

Unless a woman has an underlying medical condition, infection, or has been doing something like naked mud or oil wrestling that has left her vulva truly dirty, her body + plain warm water should provide ample cleansing of the area inside the labia and the vagina. Using soaps and other products in that "inner" area can actually cause an off-putting odor.

I'd suggest seeing a doctor for zit-like issues between your thighs. It may not be a zit at all, but rather a boil caused by a staph bacteria infecting a hair follicle or tiny break in the skin. I get those occasionally, especially around my period when my immunity is lower, and some prescription Muprirocin ointment does the trick. Tea tree oil is also very helpful and effective as a follow-up for this problem, and a great treatment for pimples in general that won't stain/bleach clothing or bedding. Boils have everything to do with bad luck and nothing to do with cleanliness for me, in particular. As for acne, overcleaning/overdrying the skin is often the culprit.

Pubic hair is all personal preference. Yes, it provided some protection and warmth, but its other function is to disperse scents and pheromones. Some people really enjoy the look, feel and scent of a full bush, although I think most folks appreciate at least a little trimming/grooming these days. Clean genitalia on a healthy person is going to smell fine regardless of the amount of pubic hair they do/don't have, and the same goes for funky-smelling genitalia.

I really hope you were! :) However thank you for pointing out the embarrassing typo/grammar error/god knows where that came from. I'm a bit tired and stressy. And cheers for not being angry with me and all. People being mean kind of frustrates me.

I certainly was kidding. My phone autocorrects all the time and I make mistakes I don't see. I just really thought that an appropriate place to put that snarky comment. :)

As a card carrying owner of a vagina who has been washing her own private parts for over 40 years and a registered nurse, I respectfully disagree with a lot of what you have to say. I declare, this is overkill. Most vaginas would revolt from this treatment. Ask any woman with vestibulitis or other vaginal pain syndromes. Gentle soap and water are enough to cleanse your skin and your genitals. Soap, especially antibacterial soap, can be very drying and irritating. Wash, rinse, dry.....it's that simple. Genitals sweat. It's a fact of life. Wear breathable clothing and change as needed. You only need antibacterial soap if you are prepping for surgery. I might dab on a little Neosporin if I nicked my outer labia while shaving, but I don't think Bandaid or Curad has yet made a bandaid that will stay on down there. Use a new razor each time you shave to protect yourself. Again, gentle soap and water helps clean any cuts. Keeping your bush in check will help keep down odor. I think bushes were designed to keep in our own pheromones and scents to attract mates anyway. Douching, unless medically prescribed is a bad idea. Vaginas are self cleaning. If your pussy smells like fish, you probably have BV and need an antibiotic. If you are itchy with white discharge, you probably have yeast and need an antifungal. If you have a red rash in your skin folds.....probably yeast. Again, I say probably, because the only one qualified to diagnose you is a medical doctor. So, no I would not use acidic borax in my vagina and I certainly wouldn't douse myself in Neosporin antibacterial ointment. Ever wonder why we are developing antibiotic resistant strains of bacterial? Overuse and improper use of antibiotics. No matter how clean my ass may be, nothing that has gone in there will then go in my vagina without a soap and water washing. Change pads and tampons frequently and use the appropriate size tampon for your flow. The blood from your flow may smell strongly, often described as a marigold like smell, but it should not be foul. Your pussy should smell like a pussy. We all smell a little difference I think, but it's not a foul smell if it's clean. Wipe your self, keep your self dry and use a wet wipe on the back side if needed. Don't go popping boils willy-nilly either. Seek medical attention. My gynecologist said that more than half of all pimples or boils "down there" are now caused by MRSA and are hard to treat. Finally, a lot of odor from down there is also from improper washing of clothing. Use a hot water cycle.

Last edited:
One complaint I hear from a lot of men about women is in regards to personal hygiene. For many men, excluding those who fetishize it, bad hygiene is a huge deterrent to wanting to perform oral sex on a female, or even wanting to have sex at all in more extreme cases. (Ladies, I'm sure you've felt this way about guys at one point or another...! Don't do it to them!)
More importantly, though, having bad hygiene down yonder can lead to some nasty health issues like UTIs, skin infection, and even acne! Eww.

Being the meticulously clean person I am, I wanted to take the time to share with you some information, tips, and tricks that I know of.

I am not a doctor, but I do have a degree in biology (and I grew up with a mom who worked as a nursing assistant). I have also personally used every single method below multiple times.
BUT everyone is unique, and what works for me might not work for you. If you're not comfortable with something, don't try it.
It's ultimately your decision to make the choices you feel are best for YOU.

If you happen to see something you think is incorrect that you think needs edited, I encourage you to post or PM me.

And please DO share any other bits of knowledge you might have!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Basic maintenance

1) Be thorough in the shower!
This means actually taking the time to spread and clean every nook and cranny of your inner labia, as well as around the entrance to your vagina. There are a lot of places for bacteria to hide!

2) Get rid of bacteria!
Try using a mild antibacterial soap. Look for ones that contain benzalkonium chloride, and very few other ingredients, preferably 'natural'. If you cannot or do not want to use a traditional antibacterial soap, use warm salt water.
-->Warnings: Only use antibacterial soap externally. Always test on a small area first. When using salt, make sure you don't have any cuts or nicks: it won't harm you, but it'll sting like crazy! And if you, for any reason, are prone to dry skin down there, you may want to avoid this, or moisturize afterwards.

3) Stay trimmed.
Now, I am very aware that many people like to abstain from shaving and trimming down there for various reasons, but from a purely hygiene-minded standpoint (or if you feel it will help), do trim at the very least, especially in the warmer seasons. Why? Those hairs got to be there, evolutionarily speaking, to protect our ancestors' vaginas from outside debris getting in. But nowadays we have things like panties for that, and don't usually go naked through dense underbrush. So when it's stuck inside panties and clothing all day, it just becomes more surface area to which sweat can attach and bacteria can thrive. If you really, really don't want to shave, though, I have a tip for you in the last section.
Edit: as drinkz pointed out, this isn't really necessary if you wash thoroughly. It just helps!

4) Don't douche.
Seriously. You vagina has a really particular pH, and is actually slightly acidic. This serves to keep bad bacteria out, good bacteria in (yes, you have those in your vag!) and to actually help with reproduction (men's sperm is a light base; your vaginal secretions are a light acid. Combined, your vagina's pH neutralizes, which allows sperm to travel more easily. Why do you think you're more susceptible to UTIs after sex? No acid!). If you mess that pH up, you're gonna have a bad time.

5) Always change your tampons regularly, especially if you're prone to infection. This should be a no-brained, but so many people don't do this. And don't use a tampon if you're only lightly flowing. If you hate pads, like I do, try folding some tissues or gauze into an oval wad and placing it between your labia. That'll keep any small extra drips from escaping and staining, but is less likely to harbor bacteria than a tampon.

6) Also inspired by drinkz's comment: pee after you have sex, even if you don't think you need to. Having sex can push bacteria into the urethra, and may lead to UTIs. But peeing helps flush them out before they can reproduce and become problematic.

When things go wrong...

1) How to help combat a bacterial infection
First, make sure it is NOT a yeast infection! You can get an at-home test kit at most drug stores to rule this out. The treatments for bacteria vs yeast are very different, as yeast is actually a FUNGUS. The most common cure a doctor will give you for BV (bacterial vaginosis) is an oral antibiotic, but these may be pricey, depending on your health care plan, and can have side effects. So...
If you're sure it's bacterial, first, douche with plain warm water. (I know what I just said, but if the point of not douching is to prevent bacterial infection... Too late!).
Then immediately after douching, use an at home remedy that contains borax. Yes, borax... Like the stuff you use in laundry. Why? Again, it's an acid.
I suggest using vH's inserts .
--->Warnings: Read the label on whatever remedy you use REALLY carefully to make sure you're not sensitive to any of the ingredients. Don't try an at home remedy of your symptoms are severe, or you also have a UTI. See a doctor. Amd if the treatment doesn't help within a few days, it probably isn't going to. See a doctor.

2) How to heal a small injury
Got a cut while shaving? Irritated something during sex? The answer is Neosporin. Apply, and cover with a band-aid or gauze pad, along with a clean pair of panties.

3) What to do if you have acne
If you got a zit down there, ouch! I'm so sorry for you.
These can be caused by bacteria or by irritation from an ingrown hair. The steps for helping it are largely the same.
First clean the area with alcohol, salt water, or antibacterial soap. Then pop it. Yes, I know it hurts, and I know they say don't, but do. (The reason they tell you not to is for risk of making it worse. Acne is caused by bacteria. Acne like open wounds. See a pattern here? Most zits can be safely popped if you're good about sterilizing afterward.)
Once it's popped, figure out if there's an ingrown hair. If there is, get some tweezers and remove it. This sounds like it'll hurt, but because of the swelling you're probably experiencing, it actually shouldn't be too bad. Either way, the next thing you have to do is sterilize again. Pick your method. Finally, if you want to dry it up quick, mix a little bit of baking soda and water together to form a paste. Apply a thick mask of it around the area, and let that sit and dry as long as possible. If you can, do this right before bed. Wait till it dries, put on clean panties, and sleep.
Once you're ready to wash it off, put some Neosporin over it regularly till it's all gone.
--->Warnings: This is really only intended to treat one or two blemishes. If you have a bigger problem, see your doctor. Also, don't pop it if you tend to get bad results from doing so elsewhere, even when employing good sanitation methods.

Tips and Tricks

1) To keep bacteria away in general, as well as moisturize, use Neosporin! It's very very safe (externally) and will actually prevent bacteria from even growing in the first place. I usually apply it right after I get out of the shower. You will not get any foul odors all day! And you can use it elsewhere down there, too...

2) If you're sensitive to shaving, there are lots of products designed to help soothe afterward, but the best advice is to always use a sharp razor. I recommend having a separate one from the one you use for your legs and underarms. The more you use a blade, the duller it gets, obviously... But your legs can tolerate a way duller blade much better than your nethers. Instead of having to change your razor all the time just for your vagina's sake, just have separate ones. You are saving yourself pain and money in the long run.

3) I'm going to catch hell for saying this, but... Anal to Vaginal sex CAN be safe!
All you have to do is follow a combination of the tricks above, plus one if you're super cautious.
After the act, remember to PEE! It flushes out any bacteria that may have been forced into your urethra. Then douche with warm water and clean thoroughly in the shower. Then insert half of a BV tablet (see link above) and let that work its magic. Finally, coat your inner labia with Neosporin to prevent any other bacteria from sneaking in for a bit. And, if you do want to be super cautious, just add a small amount of Neosporin to your lube before you have sex.
--->Warnings: Obviously be careful. It helps if you have good anal hygiene (yeah, that's a thing...) but if you don't buy it, don't try it. But if AtV is something you've really wanted to try or get turned on by, this could be a way for you to give it a shot more safely.
I give you this advice out of personal experience, remember. I have had AtV dozens of times, and have NEVER experienced anything bad as a result.

4) Something fun to do if you can't stand shaving bare, but don't want to be fuzzy; or if you're sick of "the runway": use shapes! Buy a small men's mustache trimmer, an extra eyeliner pencil, and a pair of small grooming scissors. Trim your hair down and shave as desired, but leave the hair at the top alone. Use the pencil to trace a shape like a heart, star, flower, or anything else simple. Use a razor to get the main shape, then detail with the trimmer. The scissors are handy for any stray hairs that mar the design.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There you have it! I hope you guys found this helpful :)

I'm sorry if you're feeling picked on here but I totally disagree with some of what you are advising about a vagina being kept clean, healthy and fresh.

I'm a clean freak and as a teenager got it into my head that my vagina need to be thoroughly washed with soap and would frequently shower and use a lot of soap. I had no one to advise me and I was very shy and did not ask anyone if I
was doing the right thing. After awhile my vagina became irritated and chafed. I finally went to a friends Mum who told me what I was doing was over kill and I had upset the natural balance of my vagina and encouraged me to go easy on the soap and not freak out that my lady garden was dirty.

I have followed that advice and I am 44 now. I have never used anything other than a mild soap, going commando during the night for fresh air and everything is healthy and smelling lovely (according to my husband) in Debbie's vagina.

If in doubt ask a medical professional.

External.. Internal..
it's already been established that the borders are very close on your girl parts. If you wouldn't want it inside, don't use it outside. (This is also a good rule of thumb when selecting a mate, by the way).

*coffeespew*

I love this. Thankyou. The part about selecting a mate literally made my morning. :D

According to the Women's Health Foundation, there's no such thing as blue waffle disease - according to the ob/gyn they consulted, the photo is most likely the result of an assault which was tinted blue with photoshop.

http://womenshealthfoundation.org/the-blue-waffles-myth/

If Blue Waffle Disease is internet shenanigans, then Red Pancake Infection must also be the result of interweb mischief. :eek:

*unloads maple syrup shares and looks for loophole in pat-of-butter futures contract*

tumblr_mpw9niI4N31soko4to1_500.jpg

This came across my daily newsfeed.. and it applies to BOTH men AND women!

http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2013/06/itchy-bottom-dont-blame-hemorrhoids/

I was just going to say:

You're vagina has been evolutionarily selected to keep itself in good working condition.
Leave it the fuck alone.

Since I wax, I have to be more careful with it, but the idea that you need to take special precautions is nonsense and borderline body shaming.

If it smells bad, you need to see a gynecologist. It shouldn't smell bad.

I was just going to say:

You're vagina has been evolutionarily selected to keep itself in good working condition.

How dare you? It was CREATED by the Almighty Lord, and it was created FILTHY!

Back