How Not to Present Your Story

SelectRedux

Virgin
Please don't begin with the assertion that 'all characters are over 18'. They're not, because it's a story, fantasy, not real life. Published on a website called Literotica - the clue is in the name, a resource for adult fiction writers, with editors to monitor unacceptable content. Anyone surprised or shocked didn't read the 'Welcome' section at the top of the home page.
Please don't commence with disclaimers, they provide no legal protection, and nor do content warnings. If a story contains sexual activities with which I'm uncomfortable, I'll make a grown-up decision to stop reading. There's plenty of opportunity to indicate the subject type in the title, sub-title, tags and category in which the story is posted.
Please don't start the story by addressing the reader directly and setting the scene. Instead develop the context in the narrative, an essential element of creative writing. If you really must , add a short footnote
Please don't structure your literary effort as: 'act one', 'scene two', etc. Literotica is for short stories, not theatre or film scripts intended to enable storytelling via visual performance.
Please don't reduce characters to an objectifying list of age, height, weight, and vital statistics. Try to gradually introduce physical descriptions and let the reader use their imagination to create a mental picture.
Please don't overtly explain your tale is a work of fiction - no one is mistaking it for journalism. Don't apologise for the long gap since your last story or make announcements, such as 'please be kind when commenting'. Write when the muse takes you and when you've something to say. Accept constructive criticism and ignore the rest.

I've broken many of those rules without ill effect. The "Over 18" thing is probably unnecessary, though, unless there is content in the story that may imply otherwise.

And it's courteous to give a heads-up to any story aspect that is glaringly different from the category heading. This is especially true for writers who are looking for high scores, since readers may give low ratings to stories with content they don't expect.

As for the other points, they're good guidelines for any kind of creative writing. But bear in mind that readers sometimes need help in figuring out what's going on. What may be perfectly clear to you, the writer, may not be clear to the reader.

As for objectifying age, height, weight, and so on, you have to add them in if they're plot points, don't you? But don't go overboard with them if they're not. It also depends on what sort of reader you're writing for. The specifications of "eight inch dick" or "34DD" give your prospective reader an instant turn-on, then go ahead and use them. But for readers like me, they're bad shortcuts for those who can't describe the curve of a man's erection or the gentle sag of a woman's breasts.

Please don't begin with the assertion that 'all characters are over 18'. They're not, because it's a story, fantasy, not real life. Published on a website called Literotica - the clue is in the name, a resource for adult fiction writers, with editors to monitor unacceptable content.
Clearly, you've never had a story here rejected due to the way the Approver interpreted the story, or some portion of the story.
I think the 'Everyone is over 18' boilerplate is more to satisfy the approval process here than it is to offer some perceived legal protection.

Clearly, you've never had a story here rejected due to the way the Approver interpreted the story, or some portion of the story.
I think the 'Everyone is over 18' boilerplate is more to satisfy the approval process here than it is to offer some perceived legal protection.
Had a story rejected by a moderator in one section but accepted without comment another! C'est la vie. Thanks for taking the trouble to write - good luck with your future submissions.

Characters don't have an age. They're not real. Unfortunately, we are required to state clearly they're 18 or over.

Men were coming of age lot earlier in different times. They were commanding armies on the battlefield at 14. They were ruling kingdoms at 14. Not wise to let such inexperienced young men take such responsibilities, but such were those times. But in truth, they were not the coddled up teenagers of today.

Please don't structure your literary effort as: 'act one', 'scene two', etc. Literotica is for short stories, not theatre or film scripts intended to enable storytelling via visual performance.
obviously you haven't read the stories I have!! some of those stories like Home for horny monsters and Dungeon builders harem are big enough to be actual BOOKS!

I believe dungeon builders harem IS a series of books, written by @mypenname3000. his series his episodic and @writerannabelle are as well. Major stories dude.

Verbal Abuse: It is rightly a requirement than under 18 characters are not featured - I can find no instruction to overtly say so.

Helgamite: Fair point - I meant not to flag 'acts and scenes' within the text within a specific story - chapters would be fine. Obviously series will need such an explanation in the title.

Back