How to have great vaginal hygiene

LorraineRenee

Experienced
One complaint I hear from a lot of men about women is in regards to personal hygiene. For many men, excluding those who fetishize it, bad hygiene is a huge deterrent to wanting to perform oral sex on a female, or even wanting to have sex at all in more extreme cases. (Ladies, I'm sure you've felt this way about guys at one point or another...! Don't do it to them!)
More importantly, though, having bad hygiene down yonder can lead to some nasty health issues like UTIs, skin infection, and even acne! Eww.

Being the meticulously clean person I am, I wanted to take the time to share with you some information, tips, and tricks that I know of.

I am not a doctor, but I do have a degree in biology (and I grew up with a mom who worked as a nursing assistant). I have also personally used every single method below multiple times.
BUT everyone is unique, and what works for me might not work for you. If you're not comfortable with something, don't try it.
It's ultimately your decision to make the choices you feel are best for YOU.

If you happen to see something you think is incorrect that you think needs edited, I encourage you to post or PM me.

And please DO share any other bits of knowledge you might have!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Basic maintenance

1) Be thorough in the shower!
This means actually taking the time to spread and clean every nook and cranny of your inner labia, as well as around the entrance to your vagina. There are a lot of places for bacteria to hide!

2) Get rid of bacteria!
Try using a mild antibacterial soap. Look for ones that contain benzalkonium chloride, and very few other ingredients, preferably 'natural'. If you cannot or do not want to use a traditional antibacterial soap, use warm salt water.
-->Warnings: Only use antibacterial soap externally. Always test on a small area first. When using salt, make sure you don't have any cuts or nicks: it won't harm you, but it'll sting like crazy! And if you, for any reason, are prone to dry skin down there, you may want to avoid this, or moisturize afterwards.

3) Stay trimmed.
Now, I am very aware that many people like to abstain from shaving and trimming down there for various reasons, but from a purely hygiene-minded standpoint (or if you feel it will help), do trim at the very least, especially in the warmer seasons. Why? Those hairs got to be there, evolutionarily speaking, to protect our ancestors' vaginas from outside debris getting in. But nowadays we have things like panties for that, and don't usually go naked through dense underbrush. So when it's stuck inside panties and clothing all day, it just becomes more surface area to which sweat can attach and bacteria can thrive. If you really, really don't want to shave, though, I have a tip for you in the last section.
Edit: as drinkz pointed out, this isn't really necessary if you wash thoroughly. It just helps!

4) Don't douche.
Seriously. You vagina has a really particular pH, and is actually slightly acidic. This serves to keep bad bacteria out, good bacteria in (yes, you have those in your vag!) and to actually help with reproduction (men's sperm is a light base; your vaginal secretions are a light acid. Combined, your vagina's pH neutralizes, which allows sperm to travel more easily. Why do you think you're more susceptible to UTIs after sex? No acid!). If you mess that pH up, you're gonna have a bad time.

5) Always change your tampons regularly, especially if you're prone to infection. This should be a no-brained, but so many people don't do this. And don't use a tampon if you're only lightly flowing. If you hate pads, like I do, try folding some tissues or gauze into an oval wad and placing it between your labia. That'll keep any small extra drips from escaping and staining, but is less likely to harbor bacteria than a tampon.

6) Also inspired by drinkz's comment: pee after you have sex, even if you don't think you need to. Having sex can push bacteria into the urethra, and may lead to UTIs. But peeing helps flush them out before they can reproduce and become problematic.

When things go wrong...

1) How to help combat a bacterial infection
First, make sure it is NOT a yeast infection! You can get an at-home test kit at most drug stores to rule this out. The treatments for bacteria vs yeast are very different, as yeast is actually a FUNGUS. The most common cure a doctor will give you for BV (bacterial vaginosis) is an oral antibiotic, but these may be pricey, depending on your health care plan, and can have side effects. So...
If you're sure it's bacterial, first, douche with plain warm water. (I know what I just said, but if the point of not douching is to prevent bacterial infection... Too late!).
Then immediately after douching, use an at home remedy that contains borax. Yes, borax... Like the stuff you use in laundry. Why? Again, it's an acid.
I suggest using vH's inserts .
--->Warnings: Read the label on whatever remedy you use REALLY carefully to make sure you're not sensitive to any of the ingredients. Don't try an at home remedy of your symptoms are severe, or you also have a UTI. See a doctor. Amd if the treatment doesn't help within a few days, it probably isn't going to. See a doctor.

2) How to heal a small injury
Got a cut while shaving? Irritated something during sex? The answer is Neosporin. Apply, and cover with a band-aid or gauze pad, along with a clean pair of panties.

3) What to do if you have acne
If you got a zit down there, ouch! I'm so sorry for you.
These can be caused by bacteria or by irritation from an ingrown hair. The steps for helping it are largely the same.
First clean the area with alcohol, salt water, or antibacterial soap. Then pop it. Yes, I know it hurts, and I know they say don't, but do. (The reason they tell you not to is for risk of making it worse. Acne is caused by bacteria. Acne like open wounds. See a pattern here? Most zits can be safely popped if you're good about sterilizing afterward.)
Once it's popped, figure out if there's an ingrown hair. If there is, get some tweezers and remove it. This sounds like it'll hurt, but because of the swelling you're probably experiencing, it actually shouldn't be too bad. Either way, the next thing you have to do is sterilize again. Pick your method. Finally, if you want to dry it up quick, mix a little bit of baking soda and water together to form a paste. Apply a thick mask of it around the area, and let that sit and dry as long as possible. If you can, do this right before bed. Wait till it dries, put on clean panties, and sleep.
Once you're ready to wash it off, put some Neosporin over it regularly till it's all gone.
--->Warnings: This is really only intended to treat one or two blemishes. If you have a bigger problem, see your doctor. Also, don't pop it if you tend to get bad results from doing so elsewhere, even when employing good sanitation methods.

Tips and Tricks

1) To keep bacteria away in general, as well as moisturize, use Neosporin! It's very very safe (externally) and will actually prevent bacteria from even growing in the first place. I usually apply it right after I get out of the shower. You will not get any foul odors all day! And you can use it elsewhere down there, too...

2) If you're sensitive to shaving, there are lots of products designed to help soothe afterward, but the best advice is to always use a sharp razor. I recommend having a separate one from the one you use for your legs and underarms. The more you use a blade, the duller it gets, obviously... But your legs can tolerate a way duller blade much better than your nethers. Instead of having to change your razor all the time just for your vagina's sake, just have separate ones. You are saving yourself pain and money in the long run.

3) I'm going to catch hell for saying this, but... Anal to Vaginal sex CAN be safe!
All you have to do is follow a combination of the tricks above, plus one if you're super cautious.
After the act, remember to PEE! It flushes out any bacteria that may have been forced into your urethra. Then douche with warm water and clean thoroughly in the shower. Then insert half of a BV tablet (see link above) and let that work its magic. Finally, coat your inner labia with Neosporin to prevent any other bacteria from sneaking in for a bit. And, if you do want to be super cautious, just add a small amount of Neosporin to your lube before you have sex.
--->Warnings: Obviously be careful. It helps if you have good anal hygiene (yeah, that's a thing...) but if you don't buy it, don't try it. But if AtV is something you've really wanted to try or get turned on by, this could be a way for you to give it a shot more safely.
I give you this advice out of personal experience, remember. I have had AtV dozens of times, and have NEVER experienced anything bad as a result.

4) Something fun to do if you can't stand shaving bare, but don't want to be fuzzy; or if you're sick of "the runway": use shapes! Buy a small men's mustache trimmer, an extra eyeliner pencil, and a pair of small grooming scissors. Trim your hair down and shave as desired, but leave the hair at the top alone. Use the pencil to trace a shape like a heart, star, flower, or anything else simple. Use a razor to get the main shape, then detail with the trimmer. The scissors are handy for any stray hairs that mar the design.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There you have it! I hope you guys found this helpful :)

Last edited:
Back in 1998 I met a woman on line. A widow, she was lovely and smart and fun to talk to, and had a nice body. So we made a date for a week at a romantic place.

In the bed her pussy smelled worse than a dumpster at high noon in August. I had like a total aversion reaction to it. She didn't ask howcome my attitude changed.

Antibacterial soaps get rid of "good" bacteria that produce the lactic acid that help mantain vaginal pH and crowds out the "bad" bacteria, keeping them from surviving. They (the soaps) also can be an irritant.
The good bacteria need only be in the vagina itself. As I said, never wash internally! And yes, they can irritate. Again, and it's good to remind people-- be cautious and test first!!

With proper hygiene this is irrelevant.
I actually meant to say that in there, but I guess it slipped my mind. Will edit!! :D

You missed one very important point. The act itself can force bacteria into the urethra. Bam! A painful UTI. Douching doesn't help for this. Unless you're one that likes it to burn when you pee, don't take this suggestion.
Indeed it can! Anal or not, that is a danger of having sex... And this certainly does increase the chance of it. I am glad you pointed this out. Doctors, for this reason, often recommend going to the bathroom right after sex, whether you feel you need to or not. Urine helps flush things out before the bacteria can proliferate. And again, this is what the Neosporin is for :D

Thanks for sharing!

no No NO - I will not click that link

Oh by the way I am trying so hard to contain myself here - not going to mention a Lady needing to say Lady things - nope - not at all

Most dermatologists would recommend NO soap and warm - hot water only on the vagina. If there's an issue sitz baths or salt water bath. Naturally the vagina is well balanced and not a dirty or germy place. Stay away from AB soaps!!
Vagina and vulva are two different things. I'm speaking only about the labia! Never never never use soap internally!!
And just because the vagina is 'well balanced' does not mean it isn't germy. You do have tons down there, good and bad. But the bad ones are able to really take over in the course of a day... Hence why you smell less clean at the end of a day or after some time at the gym.

I wouldn't recommend douching under any circumstances and I think you'd find most Gynaes would feel the same. It's counter productive and unnecessary under any circumstance. A yeast infection can easily (and should be) treated with medical intervention.
Right. Douching is bad... Almost always. Again, these are only methods that work for me, and can work for many others, too.
And I'm confused by your comment about yeast infections. Not because it is incorrect, but because I think you're misunderstanding me or something. Yeast and bacteria are two different things. Products like vagisil contain antifungals, and are very easy ways of curing yeast infections. The tablets I described are for bacterial infections. It's recommended that you douche with a pH balanced solution before using many products like this.

Further more. Don't fold tissues into an oval wad and shove them between your labia! Far out. Why?!! If your flow is that light that that sort of "remedy" would catch it then wear a panty liner.
There actually used to be a product on the market much like this. I forget the name of it... But my point here was to discourage unnecessary tampon use from women who refuse to use pads. There are lots of them out there, and this is a much safer alternative; using tampons during low-flow times and wearing them too long can lead to bacterial infections as TSS, which can be FATAL!!!

Ass to vagina is asking for trouble. Don't do it. People do it, maybe they get lucky but that's all it is. Luck. It's not safe and your regime for "prevention" or "safe" AtoV is ridiculous. I feel sorry for your vagina with all the shit you're putting in it just to have AtoV sex.
Again, you're free to disagree and you obviously don't have to try it. But I'm sure there are lots of people who do it withou any extra measures, and suffer for it.
Personally, I don't usually follow all these steps for myself for AtV. I just use the tablets.
I should have mentioned that the tablets encourage an increase in natural secretions for a small amount of time, too, and many doctors, including mine, agree that this sort of homeopathic remedy can be beneficial from time to time regardless of whether anything is wrong.

no No NO - I will not click that link

Oh by the way I am trying so hard to contain myself here - not going to mention a Lady needing to say Lady things - nope - not at all
Do I have to keep reminding you of the definition of CyberBullying, and your old threads so adamantly against it?

Now you have actively followed me to another thread to bring up something unrelated, and continue to subtly accuse me of lying about my sex, despite having been given every bit of proof you've asked for. Hypocrite.

All you're doing is making it more obvious to everyone else what kind of an immature asshole you are.

I'm not going to argue with you.

The crux of your original argument is that bacteria need to be eliminated for proper hygiene. That is pure bullshit and a harmful assertion. Hopefully people who see this thread will not take your advice. You can change specifics all you want, but it doesn't change that your original premise is based on a faulty assumption.

The idea that bacteria can be eliminated at all is silly, and not what I'm suggesting. These methods simply help prevent it from coming back as quickly. My assumption was only ever this: bacteria cause odor and infection. Keep bacteria to a minimum if you have issues with either of those things. And that's not assumption, it's fact.

And I was being sincere in thanking you. I do feel you were helpful, so please don't be rude about it.

Again, you don't realize the difference between good and bad bacteria. You don't want to keep the good to a minimum, as that makes it easier for the bad to invade. I don't know where you got your biology degree from, but I'd ask for my money back.

Two things: I'm only rude because you claim to be all-knowing and that the rest of us are wrong. And, what you posted is incredibly bad advice for those who don't know any better, and you claim it to be based on "fact."

I'm not all-knowing at all, dear. I am fine with agreeing to disagree, and I do take your opinions into account. But if either of us is haughty, that's you. I interpret your tone as not wanting to allow people to have methods at their disposal that may work for them... You'd rather they do as they do, which might be much, much worse, and not let them decide for themselves whether they'd like to try these methods.

The simple statements I have made are all factual, but the advice itself is a fact for me on a personal level. I've said time and again, try at your own risk, be careful, and remember that everyone is different. But if it worked for me, surely it could work for others.

clothing-care-hand-wash-symbol.jpg

Do-Not-Dry-Clean-500-x-500-copy.jpg

Do-Not-Iron-500-x-500-copy.jpg

Do-Not-Bleach-500-x-500-copy.jpg

Drip-Dry-500-x-500-copy.jpg

I've adhered to the above religiously and have never had any problems. I tend to stains immediately (blot, don't rub ;) )

As you can see below, my lady parts still look as fresh as the day I got them.

tumblr_msm00uzDuB1qzays4o1_500.jpg

In all seriousness, some of what you suggested is terrible advice, and just plain wrong.

One complaint I hear from a lot of men about women is in regards to personal hygiene.
And this ^^^, this is just plain funny. This is when I stopped taking your post seriously.

Your words about Anal to Vaginal sex... wrong on so many levels. Why not recommend a douche of pickle juice or kerosene, then follow this with a "Warning - try on sensitive area first".

If you are following some of the Vah-Gine Maintenance Regime as you've outlined, this may help explain the very first sentence in your post.

clothing-care-hand-wash-symbol.jpg

Do-Not-Dry-Clean-500-x-500-copy.jpg

Do-Not-Iron-500-x-500-copy.jpg

Do-Not-Bleach-500-x-500-copy.jpg

Drip-Dry-500-x-500-copy.jpg

I've adhered to the above religiously and have never had any problems. I tend to stains immediately (blot, don't rub ;) )

As you can see below, my lady parts still look as fresh as the day I got them.

tumblr_msm00uzDuB1qzays4o1_500.jpg

In all seriousness, some of what you suggested is terrible advice, and just plain wrong.

And this ^^^, this is just plain funny. This is when I stopped taking your post seriously.

Your words about Anal to Vaginal sex... wrong on so many levels. Why not recommend a douche of pickle juice or kerosene, then follow this with a "Warning - try on sensitive area first".

If you are following some of the Vah-Gine Maintenance Regime as you've outlined, this may help explain the very first sentence in your post.

Can't escape assholes anywhere, I see.

You think I don't have guy friends? My own boyfriend is huge on hygiene himself, and turned down plenty of opportunities as a kid because of it. But I don't have to explain myself to rude people.

I find that what tends to happen, here, is that what I post gets torn to shreds by jerks and morons, and the people who find it helpful PM me about it to avoid getting caught in the whirlwind. And it is with them that I have all the good conversations.

As a man who has eaten a fair number of pussies. I'd say there were only a few that were really really nasty and I suspect that there was some sort of infection going on. Other than infections or other possible medical issues, I tend to think that good washing with regular soap and water is the best advice. Antibacterial soaps are not good in general. I don't think douching is a good idea unless it's suggested by a doctor for some reason. Those "feminine sprays" are no good either. I do like my pussy to smell and taste like clean healthy pussy and not strawberries or lavender.

My advice is just take regular showers/baths and by all means, wash your ass or use those moist towelettes to clean yourself. Toilet paper only goes so far and doesn't REALLY clean as well as soap and water. That applies to the guys as well. Wash your ass and behind your balls. If I had a "date" I'd always try to at least take a soapy wash cloth to those areas. It's a simple curtesy. The natural scent of clean balls and a clean healthy pussy is nature's aphrodisiac. I don't think the same is true from other areas down there.

What you eat can also affect how you smell. I knew one woman who's pussy smelled of onions like a cheap sub shop. I knew two smokers whose cuze smelled like tobacco. I've heard that the taste of a man's cum can be affected too by what he eats and drinks.

I respect that you have a science degree. My degrees are in healthcare (with over a decade in ob/gyn services).. not that credentials matter.. but you seem to be using them as a reason that you should be factually correct - as if feminine hygiene is something covered in general biology course work. The other subject that is not likely to be covered at length is dermatology.

I would offer the following advice to anyone who experiences problems with genital odor.

First, in many parts of the body, odors can be indicative of disease or infection. Check with a medical care provider before assuming that you're simply not bathing well.

Anti-bacterial soaps are for areas of the body that come in contact with bacteria. Unless you're dragging your girls parts across the dirty kitchen floors of your local diner, you probably don't need anything more than a mild soap (if any soap at all) and water. If you find that you're prone to blemishes, consider bleaching your toilet seat (or other places where you plant your naked ass) more regularly.

scented soaps, douches, bath products, and lotions can actually be irritants and cause vaginitis. As far as your girl parts are concerned, the opposite of stinky is NOT "fresh meadow" or "warm vanilla sugar." (although I'll admit that warm vanilla sugar is something that sounds good enough to eat)

External.. Internal..
it's already been established that the borders are very close on your girl parts. If you wouldn't want it inside, don't use it outside. (This is also a good rule of thumb when selecting a mate, by the way)

but really.. why would you assume that you don't know how to wash yourself? It's no really that difficult of a skill. Check with your doc.. midwife.. homeopath..

Can't escape assholes anywhere, I see.

You think I don't have guy friends? My own boyfriend is huge on hygiene himself, and turned down plenty of opportunities as a kid because of it. But I don't have to explain myself to rude people.

I find that what tends to happen, here, is that what I post gets torn to shreds by jerks and morons, and the people who find it helpful PM me about it to avoid getting caught in the whirlwind. And it is with them that I have all the good conversations.

No, unfortunately assholes are like opinions. They’re everywhere.

Sure, I think you have guy friends. Apparently a great number of them come to you and complain about ratty hair, bad breath, and the rancid conditions abundant in the unhygienic twats spread before them. This is totally what guys talk about - feminine hygiene. And we complain about it to women. Constantly.

Most of us are card-carrying members of Men Objecting About Tangy Honeypots (MOATH). Support groups meet Thursday nights, at a bowling alley near you.

:rolleyes:

I find what tends to happen here is that every once in a while somebody comes along and posts terrible misinformation, and when their “info’ is torn to shreds by folks experienced or better educated about the topic at hand, the OP turns to name calling and a dismissive attitude instead of backing up claims made with data, facts, and relevant info. When challenged on facts, and the errors in their “advice” are pointed out, it is far easier to exclaim “jerks” and “assholes”, and say you don’t need to explain yourself.

You are right about one thing though. You don’t need to explain yourself. Your original post, the revising of the info contained therein, along with your subsequent posts, explain you just fine.

GiggLeGasm, well said.

This first paragraph seems like you're aiming this reply at me. But, the rest of your reply supports what I said. I'm confused here. :confused:

Just in case, there is one thing I'd like to hit on. I have a graduate degree, so I'm taught to analyze and synthesize information. Therefore, while you are correct that feminine hygiene is not taught in basic biology, the basic principles of bodies are. It's not a leap to figure things out using that knowledge. Therefore, it doesn't need to be explicitly explained for me to understand to what's going on down there.

The opening post states that the op has a degree in biology and that her mother was a nursing assistant.

I don't doubt that a lot of the advice here is probably wrong, but why does everyone have to react like the OP is a terrible person for being wrong?
She's not fucking Satan's spawn or something for being incorrect, and she was really nice about being incorrect and/or disagreed with. Having spent quite a long time in forums other than Lit recently, I've started to notice that actually, the norm on the internet is not the same as the norm on Literotica: being wrong does not make you an asshole.

Sure, OP did call someone an asshole, but only once she was provoked. Grow up Literotica. This happens here ALL THE TIME.

Unfortunately, people say things that are wrong ALL THE TIME.

But funnily enough, the world does not explode every time this happens. Please stop being so awful to people for no good reason. Why bother fostering an accepting learning environment in our children's schools if this is how people react out in the world?

I'm still in the education system, and I'd probably move to a different institution if this was how disagreements were dealt with. Why can't we have a debate? If it goes no where, agree to disagree. Opinions can be aired that way, and it doesn't have to involve a shit storm.

Lit is often a really intimidating place to post, despite being meant to be somewhere open and accepting. Because as far as I can tell, a lot of members here (not all of them, by no means, but unfortunately the ones I am talking about are also the loudest) don't know how to express their opinion or disagree with someone else without being rude/insulting/mean/downright scary.

I'm not saying we can't disagree with anyone. But what I am saying is that there's no need to be a dick to people, so take your being a dick elsewhere please.

To the original poster- I do not own a vagina. Well, sort of... Oh Nevermind. I wanted to say this though. I realize people are being a big sarcastic and all. But people are not just being dicks for the sake of being dicks. A lot of the people just genuinely disagree with the advice. Some of it seems a bit sketchy to me, but I do not personally own a vagina attached to me. I realize people may be having a bit of a laugh or whatever. I can assure you it's in good fun though. Most people, anyway.

The post was long and thorough and thoughtful, but it's a discussion forum and some people just think your advice is a bit wrong. And having a biology degree isn't necessarily a qualifier for pussy polishing. What line of work are you doing to qualify this advice? Not that one has to have a degree or anything like that to offer advice, but you threw the biology degree out there, so I'm curious. I'm not attacking at all. And sorry if I missed it, if you posted it somewhere.

I respect that you have a science degree. My degrees are in healthcare (with over a decade in ob/gyn services).. not that credentials matter.. but you seem to be using them as a reason that you should be factually correct - as if feminine hygiene is something covered in general biology course work. The other subject that is not likely to be covered at length is dermatology.

You didn't take Cunny Cleaning 101???

I have an engineering degree and for my senior project I engineered my way from a user's dirty, drug across the kitchen floor vag to a squeaky clean, spotless one that you could take home and show to mom. I used a little ammonia, a little bleach and finished it off with some nice 2,000 grit sandpaper! It was not only clean, but it has a nice shine to it as well.

Back