How compartmentalized are your erotic fantasies/reading tastes?

AG31

Literotica Guru
Yesterday a thread was started over in Fetish and Sexuality that was shut down. I assume because it was hijacked to an ad hominem back and forth between two people. I think it's an interesting question, that is, the degree to which one's fantasies bleed into real life or not. Here's the post. Note: My copying the whole post here does not mean I endorse the behavior described in the fantasy!

Do you ever think about dark and unrealistic fantasies that turn you own, however if you to ever actually try them in real life they would be either extremely unsafe or are just impossible. Let’s discuss, even if they’ll never happen, they’re still hot

I would love a form of bdsm where my sub takes a pill that renders her body completely unable to move. She is essentially unconscious from a movement standpoint, but can see and feel everything happening

I’m pretty happy with my sex life, I don’t want to try out shit that damages or potentially damages anyone else or me.

And by damage I don’t mean impact play done right. I mean actual injury, mental or physical.

Emily

The stories are always told in the most idyllic setting. So while sex on a public nude beach might sound hot in my head, IRL that's definitely not the case, least of all for the all the sand.

The themes, I think, have some truth to them. At the very least, I have to empathize with the circumstance enough to write the characters.

The things I write are things I have fantasized about. I've never been anywhere near many of the situations described in my stories, but the fantasies do come from experiences, things that sort of triggered that situational arousal. I just turn it up to the nth degree and remove all non-sexy consequences.

There's an element of suspension of disbelief in my stories that doesn't work in real life. I can control every aspect, so I can make sure everyone involved and in the vicinity is sure to have just the right reaction to ratchet up the arousal. No one morally objects to what's going on, no one is any more uncomfortable than I want them to be, no one gets hurt physically or emotionally. If I tried to 'reenact' some of the things I write about, I couldn't be sure of any of that.

On top of all that, and maybe most relevant, I write a lot about non-sexual relationships turning sexual, often with multiple partners. That's kind of part of the fantasy. There's nothing monogamous about my erotica. But I'm happily married and decidedly monogamous. I get that stuff out of my system by writing about it, and I would never actually cheat on my wife.

Maybe our society should embrace a bit more compartmentalization? Someone’s (Mirafrida's?) weird fantasy does not make them a disgusting pervert in real life. Live and let live. But on the other hand, other people (e.g. your spouse/partner) don't owe your fantasy anything and you need to respect that deeply. And, maybe think twice before making some very specifc fantasy into a real life dealbreaker, such that it winnows out most of the partner pool that might be compatible with you in every other regard.

Sometimes I get the impression that a non-trivial portion of the population is struggling with these concepts.

Back