Hey moderators - AI DIDN'T WRITE MY SHIT! I JUST HAVE GOOD GRAMMAR

I always forget Oglaf exists until I come across it, and then I'm hooked again. Thanks for bringing it back to my life!

Also, update: to those suggesting to just "send Laurel a message", I did and got a generic (and, unfortunately not very helpful) reply back (likely due to lots of people having this exact issue), soooo....consider not suggesting that?

The replies from this thread, though, gave me the idea of putting my story in an AI detector (which gave a very low possibility of it being written by AI, btw) and re-writing the sentences that got flagged. It's not lost on me that this is also a great way for folks trying to post AI-generated works to get around this issue, but - could work for others experiencing this issue!

I spent two years smugly avoiding Covid, then I caught it. I can't help feeling that if I gloat about never getting rejected due to AI, I'm tempting fate...
LOL - that is kind of my feeling on the issue. I've don't use AI or any of the writer assisting tools inherent in Word, except spell-check and grammar check. But I've been reluctant to talk shit because that seems to just invite the universe to fuck with me.

I am impressed you are privy to each and every communication between writers and the moderator(s) about this issue and that there has never been a reasonable resolution of the concern.
I dare say the odds, while perhaps not great, of achieving success are better with direct communication than with simple complaining on the AH.
People have reported they keep communicating, keep sending the story back, and keep getting rejected. The don't care part comes from this is not an isolated incident, but a growing problem and the site-and maybe this is Manu more than Laurel- won't address, but meanwhile Manu is posting about some new index for a phone, as they continue to work on things no one has asked for, while not fixing issues that have gone on for years.

I'll go all in and say, what's worse than the apathy Lit has long displayed-because they don't care if a bunch of people leave disgusted because they have a lock on the market(simply by being first/largest) is the attitude here in the forum. Not everyone, but far too many regulars quick to not only condemn someone's frustration, but to mock it.

Then at some point many people will talk about what a shame it is very few authors come to the forums. Wonder why? I think this will happen more and more and eventually to a forum regular and it will be amusing to see them be frustrated and of course their frustration will be seen as okay. That's how cliques work.

To any having this issue I would suggest what the OP said-although sarcastically-and that's leave some typos in your story, couple of their instead of there whatever, that way it will skirt the AI program Lit is using by being flawed and not robotically perfect. Sounds ridiculous, but it would most likely work.

They're probably busy writing stories.
It's funny because it's true. Just keeping up with reading the threads here takes up tons of little moments I could have used for writing, like the 30 minutes after waking up before having to get ready for work.

It's funny because it's true. Just keeping up with reading the threads here takes up tons of little moments I could have used for writing, like the 30 minutes after waking up before having to get ready for work.
I've always wondered if the AH isn't a net negative.

Whatever craft talk time savings you mine, you prob spend more time in acquisition.

Though "inspiration" is hard to quantify and worth its weight in gold so...

I spent two years smugly avoiding Covid, then I caught it. I can't help feeling that if I gloat about never getting rejected due to AI, I'm tempting fate...
I'm fairly certain I've found the answer to not being called on this--begin posting stories here more than fifteen years before AI was a concept and gain the reputation with the selection editor to be too old and nontechnical to possibly be able to bring AI into play to begin with.

That said, I can easily empathize with anyone called for using AI who didn't when I can't see it being at all easy to have made that call this early in the AI application history.

reading over this stuff I see a lot of people who have been writing here a long time saying that they aren't having a problem for the same reason. And that makes sense because if you have been posting here forever then maybe the owners know the way you write. But what is to stop a long-time person from suddenly trying ai tools? And to be clear I am definitely not saying anyone has. Not sure how anyone can definitely say someone has unless a person admits to it. Also what if the site turns it's detection system on everything published by everyone in like the last two years? There's obviously false positives happening so it has the potential to affect everyone unless the owners give people they trust a pass
Probably nothing. It's a can of worms--enough to make a website owner just say "fuck it this time" and sell the site--probably to someone promoting AI use.

After some reading around on the subject of AI assistance detection , it seems to me to be pretty easy to game the detection tools. Currently they mainly tend to use GPT-2.
I won't list all the things you can do (probably as a final pass after the final draft of your story), but it's pretty simple to achieve, from what I've gathered.
If it ever happens to me, I'll try a couple of those tricks, but I have a feeling my writing style will always sufficently (but not overly) outre to pass as human.
Once more, I pass the Turing test (evil robot laugh)

No, I meant basically change your grammar and word choice slightly. By hand.

I put this out on a thread in the editor's forum, so I'll offer it here as well for anyone who's interested:

If you're struggling to get a story published because of a 'rejected for AI' reason, I will offer my services as an editor and 'vibe checker.'
I'm getting the sense that if you indicate in your submission that you've passed your story through a volunteer editor that you'll have an easier time getting it published. So, let me check your story out.

Caveat: I am doing this 100% to satisfy my own curiosity, but I will do an honest job of editing. ONLY stories rejected for AI, please.
Caveat 2: I will indeed conduct a 'vibe check' on your story. If you do not pass said 'vibe check', aka, if I feel confident your story is AI written, then I will not edit your story.

Last edited:
vibe check
tumblr_mhq60cQ1pM1s4w33do1_500.gif

I'm so foul.

Threads like this amuse me. It's almost like you expect Laurel to care. This is a dead revenue stream. She doesn't care. The only reason this relic of late 90s web design exists is because cam girls get men to beat off

Threads like this amuse me. It's almost like you expect Laurel to care. This is a dead revenue stream. She doesn't care. The only reason this relic of late 90s web design exists is because cam girls get men to beat off
Hello,

Welcome to Lit. You seem to have a deep insight into Laurel’s mindset. Do you have any other gems to share with us?

Em

Back