Have you written something in a story and immediately known it is true of yourself?

Yes, I draw from my early life experiences and weave things that happened to me or others into the story. Putting some uncomfortable truth that happened to me or some, I knew from those terrible 18 months before I was put into my foster home.

Yes, I draw from my early life experiences and weave things that happened to me or others into the story. Putting some uncomfortable truth that happened to me or some, I knew from those terrible 18 months before I was put into my foster home.
🤗🤗🤗

Em

A significant chunk of Red Scarf was me working through things about myself. Sometimes it's easier to see oneself from the outside.

Mostly I just kept my mouth shut and did my best to look like I was listening. That is to say, I concentrated on nodding and modelling Normal Person Body Language and making eye contact, which didn't leave me with much processing power to follow what people were actually saying.

Last edited:
My stories contain a lot of me, which might not be good fro some readers but for me it brings back memories. Memories of a long full life I will admit.

I have a WIP on the backburner that I realized while writing had some unexpectedly self-referential elements in it.

In my Portmanteau series, I sneak in dozens of personal experiences. I then like to find some of the forum posts here on LE that ask about personal experiences or likes or kinks, etc, and usually post a short mention of the true story that happened to me.

One specific fun real event that I put into my story was having sex in a hotel window while a couple across the courtyard of the hotel was having sex in their window. We took turns copying each other's moves, and for a brief moment, both the woman across the way and myself shared a mutual self-satisfaction moment. I wrote this into my first piece of erotic called Portmanteau EP.01

There was another moment when I gave a coworker a Post-it note asking for a hookup (we had kissed before). That made it from my life and into the same story. The funny thing about that, I received criticism from someone saying that would never happen in the real world. That seemed kind of a minor detail to be far-fetched considering all the other wild hookups I mentioned in the same story, but yes, it did happen, and it was mind-blowing. That comment taught me to ignore the critics.

The erotica in my story that is most visual and details is almost always from true experience.

I'm currently writing a semi-autobiographical story about how I met my departed ex.
I've changed the names obviously. :LOL::LOL::LOL:
It's brought up a lot of good memories as well as some bad and painful ones as well.
Of course, there is something true in all of my stories.

Yes, very much, although for me it's quite different from the way it is for you, because I'm not writing about things I've actually done (except to a very minor degree). When I started publishing stories, I felt like I was doing something true to myself for the first time, and it was a great feeling. But it's like peeling an onion, and sometimes I feel like I'm still only peeling away the outer layers.

There was another moment when I gave a coworker a Post-it note asking for a hookup (we had kissed before). That made it from my life and into the same story. The funny thing about that, I received criticism from someone saying that would never happen in the real world. That seemed kind of a minor detail to be far-fetched considering all the other wild hookups I mentioned in the same story, but yes, it did happen, and it was mind-blowing.
Yep, truth is always stranger than fiction, then you write about it and can't tell the difference.

Your approach is similar to my writer's belief that, if you anchor a story with one piece of complete, utter truth, readers will subconsciously spot it, and be prepared to suspend a million miles of disbelief for the rest of the story. It need only be tiny, but if you know it's there, it's enough to tie your story down.

Many of my stories have a main character based upon me and my life experiences. The others are me thinking about how I might be in a different time and different life.

I'm putting myself into each and every story in one way or another. So far there have been no surprises.

Yes, often. I think it's because I'm not a good enough writer, to truly develop another voice. Now I'm curious how I'd do writing a character with autism.

Yes, often. I think it's because I'm not a good enough writer, to truly develop another voice. Now I'm curious how I'd do writing a character with autism.
I’ve thought about that too. I mean it being explicit.

Em

There was another moment when I gave a coworker a Post-it note asking for a hookup (we had kissed before). That made it from my life and into the same story. The funny thing about that, I received criticism from someone saying that would never happen in the real world.
I have written entirely fabricated stories which included just one plot aspect inspired by an analogous real life happening. And had multiple people tell me that part was totally unrealistic.

!!!

Em

There is a little of me and my experiences in most of my stories. There is a minor character in one story that I realized was more me than I intended when I began.

Funnily enough, while my autobiographical stuff is generally faithful to the sex, my made up stories have greater truths about my psyche. I guess that makes sense and there is one obvious exception.

Em

Back