What I wrote and why: Fairytale of New York

StillStunned

Writing...
In the interests of starting more discussions about writing as a craft, I'm starting a thread about one of my stories. Feel free to weigh in, both on the points I raise and anything else you like or feel should be improved. I'm a big boy. I'll take suggestions and constructive criticism on board to hopefully become a better writer.

This is intended to be a discussion about writerly aspects. Don't complain that the story's too short, or you don't like fantasy, or you only read stories written in 2P POV. Please respect the story for what it is.

With that out of the way, I give you Fairytale of New York. It's 1.8k words, currently with a rating of 4.47 from 55 votes, with a little under 4k views.

The story started as a tribute to Shane McGowan and Kirsty McCall, and originally I envisioned something with trolls and fairies in Central Park. In the end I decided to stick closer to the theme of the song, and make it about a pair of fairytale lovers whose dreams fall apart.

This is how it opens:
Christmas Eve in New York, there was nothing quite like it. Lights and cheers, drunks singing and celebrating and lovers kissing on street corners. All strung together like beads on an icy wind that could cut through the thickest coat.

It was a time and place for dreams to come true, or to be shattered. Sometimes even both on the same night.
First up, there's a typo there: "cheers" should be "cheer". I think it's a leftover from my first draft, which was something like "Lights and shouts and cheers". Otherwise, though, it refers quite closely to the song: "Sinatra was swinging, all the drunks they were singing, we kissed on the corner and danced through the night." It also sets the tone for the story: light and warmth and companionship versus cold and darkness and loneliness.

This is where the story really took off in my mind. I imagined a troll trying to blend in, and realised that no-one would look twice at a large bulky figure with their hood pulled down over their face. But then I had to figure out where the troll would live the rest of the time, and I imagined them hiding out in the subway tunnels, becoming lonelier and lonelier.

From here, my introversion took over. It was easy to picture Pod the troll hating the world above, but coming to hate the tunnels even more. Knowing that hiding wasn't healthy, for him or his relationship with Oonagh, but being unable to convince himself to change. And this of course triggers the story: Oonagh leaves, and he retreats further into himself, except the one night a year that he goes to look for her.

To describe this dichotomy, I filled the story with juxtapositions: hopes and reality, promises made and promises broken, the happiness and unhappiness of being in love.
They'd had dreams back then. A new world, with opportunity and room for everyone. But guess what? There were no opportunities for trolls, just as there'd been no opportunities in the Old Country. Precious little room either.
[...]
Pod finally convinced Oonagh to go underground with him. Into the new tunnels. She was reluctant, but he promised they'd venture topside whenever they could. "At night, and in the winter," he told her. "People don't pay attention to each other when they're cold."

But as time went by, and the disappointment became oppressive, it took more and more effort to leave his tunnels. Oonagh tried to be sympathetic, but there were limits. "You're going back to rock!" she complained more than once. "When was the last time you moved?"

In the end it had been too much for her, and she left for good. Pod couldn't blame her. In fact, in some ways he was relieved. He wanted her to be happy, he really did. But more and more, he realised that what made her happy made him deeply, profoundly unhappy.
[...]
Alone. He'd sunk into a pit of despair then, and he'd loved it. All by himself, with no-one to worry about. No-one to make demands, no-one to hound him into moving.

Pod gives in to his addiction - petroleum and electricity, because I have no experience of real-world drugs and I figured that trolls would need something unusual. In fact, it's his introversion that's his true addiction, until it turns into emptiness.
It filled him up, and made him feel hollow. It was a shining beacon of bleakness. It overwhelmed him with a loneliness that was the most loyal of companions. It drained his energy, and it forced him to get up out of his misery and do something.
[...]
So at the darkest time of the year, and the brightest, he went out looking for Oonagh.
[...]
But he needed it. He spent a whole year in fear and anticipation of Christmas Eve. Conserving his energy, keeping hope alive like a pilot light, building up walls to keep the despair and hope at bay for one night.

Against the odds, he finds her, and their encounter left me stumped. I didn't want to write reams of couples counselling dialogue. So I turned back to the song, and the line "The boys from the NYPD choir were singing Galway Bay." I introduced a crowd gathering to see a marching band, and it brings back memories of "the Old Country". This allowed me to shorthand my trolls' reconciliation - after all, they've known each other for centuries, and deep down they love each other. They *want* to be reconciled.

But of course their conversation is awkward:
"How have you been?" Oonagh asked, looking back at the band.

"Alright." It was an automatic reply, a stupid reply. Of course he hadn't been alright. "Worse than before. Better, too."

This contrast - worse and better - sums up Pod's development. When Oonagh replies that she understands, he realises that she's undergone the same development. At this point they're reconciled, and the happiness that Pod experiences outshines his earlier addiction:
This is what it's like to be alive! The wildest trip from petroleum and electricity paled in comparison.

The addiction of course also represents his introversion, or at least his willingness to let his introversion take control.

I end the story with another direct reference to the song, or at least the video, which ends with Shane and Kirsty dancing together.
Then her arm slipped aside and the other came up, and they were standing together, holding each other close, swaying gently as the crowd's voice began to swell. "If you ever cross the sea to Ireland..."

One reader commented that they'd expected the crowd to be singing "Galway Bay", as per the song. In fact, this is the opening line, the way my granddad used to sing it to me, which is slightly different from the "official version". Also, I couldn't fit in "the bells were ringing out for Christmas Day". It would have made the line too long, or I'd have had to split it into two sentences, and it just wouldn't have worked. Less, I felt, was more.

That's my analysis of the story, and what I did and why. I needed to do some research about New York. What the paths in Central Park are made from, especially near a bridge that had the right appearance for a fairytale about trolls. When the subway tunnels were first built, and where the trains went at night. I handwaved the question of whether or not any marching band played in Central Park by leaving it open whether this was a regular thing or not ("The band was striking up. Since when do they play in the Park, anyway? The thought floated across his mind like snow over the teeming city.").

Besides the petroleum-and-electricity addiction, I also had to think of some points of troll anatomy. They're made of rock, and they don't breathe. Their hearts are diamond, and that gave me this imagery:
When the despair was at its greatest, pressing in on all sides like it would crush him to rubble, to dust, that was when he fought back. The diamond that was his heart could be broken, but would never succumb to pressure.

His hope never died.

Throughout the story, I also tried to blend in the imagery of the city. Like above: "like snow over the teeming city". But also this one:
"Were you waiting for me?"

Now she turned to face him full on. When she spoke, her voice was soft, like the first faraway train of the new day, leaving the yard. "I've waited here for you every year."

Overall, I'm very pleased with how the story turned out. The writing was easy and difficult at the same time. Perhaps I could have dwelt longer on the reconciliation, but by that time I was almost blubbering over my keyboard. I think that it packs more punch this way too.

So now over to you lot. Do you think my imagery worked? Does anything feel contrived or awkward, now that you know what I was trying to achieve? Does it succeed both as a fairytale, and a story of Christmas in New York?

Wow, great to see the depths you go to.

I am too shallow for that with my writing. I literally think what will turn me on!

Wow, great to see the depths you go to.

I am too shallow for that with my writing. I literally think what will turn me on!
Thanks! I'll be the first to admit that I also write plenty of shallow strokers, though, where like you I just want the sexiness. I chose Fairytale for its "writerly" aspects. And because it's short: I couldn't be arsed to do Countesses or Orgy of Death, which are both ten times as long.

Thanks! I'll be the first to admit that I also write plenty of shallow strokers, though, where like you I just want the sexiness. I chose Fairytale for its "writerly" aspects. And because it's short: I couldn't be arsed to do Countesses or Orgy of Death, which are both ten times as long.
I don't try to be too shallow. I genuinely try to set a scene. Give the reader a few senses as to what the protagonists can see, smell, touch etc.

I'm useless at writing sex scenes or even thinking if my characters should have sex. I like a hard cut followed by the Hollywood L shaped duvet.

I am in awe that you have managed to do quite so much though for your story. Nice one!

or you only read stories written in 2P POV.

I imagine that these people exist, and they terrify me.

Does it succeed both as a fairytale, and a story of Christmas in New York?

I've spoken enough about this story. I might be it's biggest fan. 😅 But yes - for me, it succeeds on every level. I'd go into a deeper, proper review - but then I'd have to read the story again for a fourth time, and I don't know if I can handle that today. The story takes a t(r)oll on you. Besides, I don't think I look at writing the way most people do. For me, it's all about the feeling, and using different writing techniques to properly share them with the reader. You have mastered that. I'll just echo what I've said before; no other story on Lit hit my emotional heartstrings as perfectly as this one. (One came close, but I was sort of in that one, so it was emotional in completely different ways.!)

So now over to you lot. Do you think my imagery worked? Does anything feel contrived or awkward, now that you know what I was trying to achieve? Does it succeed both as a fairytale, and a story of Christmas in New York?
Overview
This quickly reminded me of one of my all time favorite TV serials, the name of which I can't remember, about an admirable monster living in the sewer tunnels of New York. I think it would have done that just as quickly even if I hadn't read your intro in the post. Overall the tenderness came across vividly.

But much as I enjoyed that show, non-human creatures and world building aren't my thing, so I'm limiting my critique to more technical aspects.

Your questions
"Does it succeed both as a fairytale, and a story of Christmas in New York?" Yes. I think it does these things admirably.

Notable/pleasing turns of phrase
"All strung together like beads on an icy wind that could cut through the thickest coat."
"Luckily a troll's orgasm sounded just like the natural groans of a steamship at sea."
"and it's a short step from standing out to becoming a scapegoat."

Ok, I'm only a few paragraphs in. I'm going to stop listing notable/pleasing turns of phrase.

Phrases that didn't work well for me. Can you see the change from "phrases" to "phrase?"
"In the self-centred gloom" - I needed to work a little to figure out where this self centered gloom came from, given the cheerful picture portrayed a para earlier. I get it (I think) that "self centered" tells us it was Pod's gloom in contrast to the surroundings. But it did take me out of the moment for a moment.

In the interests of starting more discussions about writing as a craft, I'm starting a thread about one of my stories. Feel free to weigh in, both on the points I raise and anything else you like or feel should be improved. I'm a big boy. I'll take suggestions and constructive criticism on board to hopefully become a better writer.
Some thoughts on the process of requesting feedback.

I think authors should come up with a structure that allows a reader to read the story before reading the author's thoughts. I could have done this here, but I didn't think of it, and you didn't suggest it. It's hard to know for sure how effective your story was in achieving its goals when we knew the goals up front.

But I do commend your stating what you were looking for.

How come you didn't post this in the Feedback forum? I'm on a kick to wake that forum up for critiques like these, at the author's request as well as spontaneous reader feedback. The description is currently "Post your feedback about Literotica stories you love or hate!" I think it should be something like "Post your feedback about Literotica stories you love or hate! Or submit your story for feedback."

This is a beautiful little story. Your less is more approach to the dialog is perfect - because it's so simple, and so little is said, the depth of their relationship comes through. Pod knows Oonagh has nothing to apologize for; Oonagh has already forgiven Pod for not coming sooner, because he's there now. If you wrote paragraphs of dialog making that explicit, it would only cheapen it.

You nail the introversion stuff too. Sometimes I feel the same way - if my wife left me I'd probably just sit in the dark, thinking I didn't need anyone else, being wrong. You capture that feeling well. This is a wonderful paragraph that rings true:

It filled him up, and made him feel hollow. It was a shining beacon of bleakness. It overwhelmed him with a loneliness that was the most loyal of companions. It drained his energy, and it forced him to get up out of his misery and do something.

I suppose if I were to give a second look to one of your questions, it's whether it succeeds as a story of Christmas in New York. That's obviously the setting, and that's never in doubt, but I'm not sure if feels particularly Christmas-y. It doesn't necessarily need to for the story to be effective in its own right. But if that's the goal then I would probably consider including more Christmas details throughout the story, as opposed to just in the opening paragraphs. That didn't bother me at all while reading it, but, since you asked...

Great work, and thanks for the nudge to read it. 5 stars.

Overview
This quickly reminded me of one of my all time favorite TV serials, the name of which I can't remember, about an admirable monster living in the sewer tunnels of New York.
Was it the old Beauty and the Beast series, with Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman?

I think it would have done that just as quickly even if I hadn't read your intro in the post. Overall the tenderness came across vividly.

But much as I enjoyed that show, non-human creatures and world building aren't my thing, so I'm limiting my critique to more technical aspects.
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Your questions
"Does it succeed both as a fairytale, and a story of Christmas in New York?" Yes. I think it does these things admirably.

Notable/pleasing turns of phrase
"All strung together like beads on an icy wind that could cut through the thickest coat."
"Luckily a troll's orgasm sounded just like the natural groans of a steamship at sea."
"and it's a short step from standing out to becoming a scapegoat."

Ok, I'm only a few paragraphs in. I'm going to stop listing notable/pleasing turns of phrase.
Yeah, I liked the troll's orgasm one. :)
Phrases that didn't work well for me. Can you see the change from "phrases" to "phrase?"
"In the self-centred gloom" - I needed to work a little to figure out where this self centered gloom came from, given the cheerful picture portrayed a para earlier. I get it (I think) that "self centered" tells us it was Pod's gloom in contrast to the surroundings. But it did take me out of the moment for a moment.
I see what you mean. I intended it to refer to people hurrying around, doing their last-minute Christmas shopping, barely looking up. Maybe I got a bit too clever with that one. I still like the sound of it though.

Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated!

How come you didn't post this in the Feedback forum? I'm on a kick to wake that forum up for critiques like these, at the author's request as well as spontaneous reader feedback. The description is currently "Post your feedback about Literotica stories you love or hate!" I think it should be something like "Post your feedback about Literotica stories you love or hate! Or submit your story for feedback."
Two reasons: there's more traffic here, and what I'm looking for is a discussion between writers, about technical aspects of writing, specific elements of a story rather than an overall opinion on whether a reader liked it and why.

This is a beautiful little story. Your less is more approach to the dialog is perfect - because it's so simple, and so little is said, the depth of their relationship comes through. Pod knows Oonagh has nothing to apologize for; Oonagh has already forgiven Pod for not coming sooner, because he's there now. If you wrote paragraphs of dialog making that explicit, it would only cheapen it.
Thanks! It's very easy to make the dialogue too minimal, and force your readers to fill in the blanks without any dots to connect, or else to go overboard. I went for the less is more approach, because I assumed Pod would struggle to express his feelings, but it was alright because Oonagh knows him.
You nail the introversion stuff too. Sometimes I feel the same way - if my wife left me I'd probably just sit in the dark, thinking I didn't need anyone else, being wrong. You capture that feeling well. This is a wonderful paragraph that rings true:
Write what you know, they say, and introversion is something I know. That didn't make it any easier to write, though,
I suppose if I were to give a second look to one of your questions, it's whether it succeeds as a story of Christmas in New York. That's obviously the setting, and that's never in doubt, but I'm not sure if feels particularly Christmas-y. It doesn't necessarily need to for the story to be effective in its own right. But if that's the goal then I would probably consider including more Christmas details throughout the story, as opposed to just in the opening paragraphs. That didn't bother me at all while reading it, but, since you asked...
Fair enough, and looking at the story again I agree. I had the Pogues song in mind as I wrote, and I suppose because of that I had this image of New York Christmas in my head that I could have worked harder to put into words.
Great work, and thanks for the nudge to read it. 5 stars.
Thanks, and thanks for your comments here too!

Wow I admire how much thought you put into the story. Makes me feel like I am firing blindly in contrast haha.

You saw my comment from before but I thought it was a very sweet story, very unique as well and had just enough worldbuilding for something under 5k words to make it have depth too. I admire that challenge just as much as the rest.

A little late to the party as usual lol.

So, just finished the story, then your breakdown.

I am unfamiliar with the song in question you based it on. That said, it's easily relatable, despite fantasy trolls being the stand ins here for real people.

Who hasn't felt like they didn't belong sometimes? And what relationship hasn't suffered from familiarity and differences of personality, wants, desires etc?

It's well crafted, abd doesn't waste a lot of time getting to it's point.

Well done.

I like the idea of a thread like this. I suppose I may attempt something similar, although I don't know what story I'd focus on at the moment.

I liked it. I could probably relate to him. I am curious to where he's finding petrol down there, when subways are Electric Multiple Unit trains.

I am unfamiliar with the song in question you based it on.
The Christmas season is over, but give it a listen anyway. It's one of the rawest, most touching songs I know (look up The Pogues, Fairytale of New York).

And thanks for your comments!

I am curious to where he's finding petrol down there, when subways are Electric Multiple Unit trains.
I'm not sure either. I just assume that in such an old and vast network of tunnels someone must have dumped waste somewhere.

What I wrote and why: Fairytale of New York​

I’d missed this thread. But it’s an interesting concept. The authorial intent vs the readers’ perceptions. The struggles to try to head off such things in advance. The knotty problems of “I want this to happen, but how, and why?”

I’m sure a lot of this is common to us all. Only the greatest writers regularly bridge the gap between intent and inferred meaning. I’d like to see others being open about what they were trying to do and the process.

Well done for being so open about an often intensely personal thing.

I suppose it might be easier with a short story. But perhaps others could focus on a particular sections. Say 1-2,000 words.

Em

Well done for being so open about an often intensely personal thing.
Thanks! It's led to quite a few extra views of the story (well, relatively speaking - about 600 since I started this thread), and presumably some extra scrutiny too. So far the feedback has been positive, but I was a bit nervous about putting myself out there as if I know better than everyone else.

I suppose it might be easier with a short story. But perhaps others could focus on a particular sections. Say 1-2,000 words.
I first wanted to do another story, of about 4.5k, but that was too long. Sections would definitely be more manageable.

So far the feedback has been positive, but I was a bit nervous about putting myself out there as if I know better than everyone else.

Im considering doing something similar... inspired by you, obviously.... perhaps after work today I'll get to it.

Im considering doing something similar... inspired by you, obviously.... perhaps after work today I'll get to it.
It's quite rewarding, and it's my impression that people here look at your work with new appreciation. I'm thinking of doing one with snippets from several of my stories on a particular theme.

Back