Female writers - thoughts on male writers writing a female dominant charater?

Jared427

Experienced
Crowd sourcing all female writers!

Jared here - my experience for several years was that of being with a very dominant/teaching female. I am exploring/chewing on getting into writing but wanted to know...appropriateness of a male writing from that perspective. Yes, it is my experience and what I went through but I was on the other side of the proverbial fence. Curious your thoughts.

J

Some of the finest things I've read on Lit, and by that right on the whole, have been from men writing female characters of various sorts. Likewise, vice versa, women writing men. Don't over think it. Write what you want to write to the best of your ability.
I appreciate that very much. I think part of me is nervous to do so as I dont want to go "beyond my scope' so to speak. I agree that I am overthinking

Go for it. Focus on all the things you like about her. Make it an adoring tribute.
She opened my world and eyes to a plethora of sexual experiences...many of them divine and almost all of them a unique part of me. I think part of me wants to make it that tribute but also wanting to respect how the "relationship" came to a close.

I appreciate that very much. I think part of me is nervous to do so as I dont want to go "beyond my scope' so to speak. I agree that I am overthinking

I think it's a polite consideration, but I promise no one--least of all female writers or audience, will be upset at you for writing a dominant female character. You'll be just fine.

Welcome to Lit. ☺️

Jared here - my experience for several years was that of being with a very dominant/teaching female. I am exploring/chewing on getting into writing but wanted to know...appropriateness of a male writing from that perspective. Yes, it is my experience and what I went through but I was on the other side of the proverbial fence. Curious your thoughts.

J
I think my experience is probably rare, but I'm a female who has only written from the male POV. A few years ago my fantasies simply switched to the male POV. I've been told by a male that my writing sounds like a male.

My advice is to write what you feel and then ask a trusted female how it comes across. Or if you don't have such a reading-hobbyist female acquaintance, put it out for us females here to critique. I'm assuming you'd rather not ask your SO to participate in the creation of this work.

That might tell you if your instincts are working well.

I think it's a polite consideration, but I promise no one--least of all female writers or audience, will be upset at you for writing a dominant female character. You'll be just fine.

Welcome to Lit. ☺️
Thank you for the welcome - so far, the water has been warm :)

Always wanting to be considerate, I think thats the most important thing for me - that I respect her part in this. It will be coming from my view but wanting to do it to really bring her to life on these pages.

I think my experience is probably rare, but I'm a female who has only written from the male POV. A few years ago my fantasies simply switched to the male POV. I've been told by a male that my writing sounds like a male.

Hah, hey friend. I do that too!

I've only really started highlighting female mains in the last few years... but I began my writing hobby in the roleplay scene on sites that no longer exist (AvidGamers, Acornrack, invisionfree etcetera) over a decade ago. And I started with writing dominant male characters, because all of the other writers were women writing submissive women, and they wanted hot Doms. Suffice to say I was drowning in roleplay invitations, and got very good at the portrayal.

Thank you for the welcome - so far, the water has been warm :)

Always wanting to be considerate, I think thats the most important thing for me - that I respect her part in this. It will be coming from my view but wanting to do it to really bring her to life on these pages.

The Author's Hangout forum is a relatively chill place. Bit of a gamble on the author's side, but once you figure out what works for you, it's very entertaining.

I love your premise, especially if you're basing it on a woman in your life. I think on those terms you'll probably have a solid idea of what it is you're trying to portray

My advice is to write what you feel and then ask a trusted female how it comes across. Or if you don't have such a reading-hobbyist female acquaintance, put it out for us females here to critique. I'm assuming you'd rather not ask your SO to participate in the creation of this work.

That might tell you if your instincts are working well.
Great suggestion and lovely to hear how you have written from the male POV.

I like the idea of a "trusted" female. Dont really have one of those yet so I would need to find one. Interestingly enough, she is no longer an SO, this was an experience years ago (she is 14 years my senior) but the time shaped me very much.

Hah, hey friend. I do that too!

I've only really started highlighting female mains in the last few years... but I began my writing hobby in the roleplay scene on sites that no longer exist (AvidGamers, Acornrack, invisionfree etcetera) over a decade ago. And I started with writing dominant male characters, because all of the other writers were women writing submissive women, and they wanted hot Doms. Suffice to say I was drowning in roleplay invitations, and got very good at the portrayal.

The Author's Hangout forum is a relatively chill place. Bit of a gamble on the author's side, but once you figure out what works for you, it's very entertaining.

I love your premise, especially if you're basing it on a woman in your life. I think on those terms you'll probably have a solid idea of what it is you're trying to portray
Appreciate the nod on the premise - it was 7 years of my life and created who I am (am I Frankensteins monster?).

I just need to figure out how to write it

I don't do it often, but I have written from a woman's POV a few times.

I've never had any complaints about it or "your female character sounds all wrong / sounds like a man" etc.

I'm sure you'll be fine writing a female POV, especially if you're basing it on personal experiences with them.

I don't do it often, but I have written from a woman's POV a few times.

I've never had any complaints about it or "your female character sounds all wrong / sounds like a man" etc.

I'm sure you'll be fine writing a female POV, especially if you're basing it on personal experiences with them.
Definitely based on my (very extended) experiences with them.

I think the crux of the issue was that I have never written stories before and before I dive into another perspective, wanted to cross my Ts and dot my I's

If you never write beyond your scope, your scope never grows.

Earnest attempts are not punished here. Nobody writes even their own perspective up to their standards when starting out. Stretching yourself into the uncomfortable is part of the journey.

If you never write beyond your scope, your scope never grows.

Earnest attempts are not punished here. Nobody writes even their own perspective up to their standards when starting out. Stretching yourself into the uncomfortable is part of the journey.
Well said. Thank you for the words and the encouragement

I write from a woman's POV more often than I write from a man's. Since I do mostly FP, it very much depends on the story I'm trying to tell and the characters I want to put into that story; some characters do better as women, some as men. I don't write either of them that much differently.

It's wholly appropriate for any gender to write from any viewpoint they wish. I once did an FP story told by a dog.

I thought you were in jail. Oh, sorry, wrong Jared. As long as they are portrayed well, written well, and not a one-dimensional character, I have no complaint. They can be kind or cruel, loving or mean, or downright evil at the core, as long you do it well, and I'll not bitch about the angle or bitch.

J

I thought you were in jail. Oh, sorry, wrong Jared. As long as they are portrayed well, written well, and not a one-dimensional character, I have no complaint. They can be kind or cruel, loving or mean, or downright evil at the core, as long you do it well, and I'll not bitch about the angle or bitch.
Never have been a big subway guy :)

Appreciate the feedback. Doing my best to honor her character at the moment

J

And you do realize that was a joke, right? Looks like, but not wanting to offend. But if I have to say, not wanting to offend, maybe I shouldn't have made the joke at all. But how do you know if you will offend if you don't put it out there? But really, how bad a joke was it? I mean, ... never mind, I totally forgot what I wanted to say.
Never have been a big subway guy :)

Appreciate the feedback. Doing my best to honor her character at the moment

J

And you do realize that was a joke, right? Looks like, but not wanting to offend. But if I have to say, not wanting to offend, maybe I shouldn't have made the joke at all. But how do you know if you will offend if you don't put it out there? But really, how bad a joke was it? I mean, ... never mind, I totally forgot what I wanted to say.
Very much got the joke, hence my response ;) My feelings are not hurt that easily and I do love a good joke

Back