Female writers - thoughts on male writers writing a female dominant charater?

[No personal attacks or trolling - including creating accounts for this specific purpose. Heated discussions are fine, even welcome. However, personally attacking / kink-shaming a fellow author or reader is not allowed within the Author's Hangout. Threads which devolve into the exchanging of insults will be closed and repeat offenders will be given a timeout, per the AH rules.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair warning, you will catch some flak for writing a strong female. There's a faction of 'men' here that go ballistic any time a man isn't in charge in a story, and get even crazier if its flat out femdom or domination.

Be sure to ignore them, the opinions of those suffering from cold male insecurity are almost as worthless as the commenter themselves.

Most women, and men who are actual men are fine with a strong female lead.
Could not have said it better myself.

J

I get that all the time. I'm sure when I post my newest story at Amazon drops here, I'll get comments about the MC being a bitch.
Fair warning, you will catch some flak for writing a strong female. There's a faction of 'men' here that go ballistic any time a man isn't in charge in a story, and get even crazier if its flat out femdom or domination.

Be sure to ignore them, the opinions of those suffering from cold male insecurity are almost as worthless as the commenter themselves.

Most women, and men who are actual men are fine with a strong female lead.

I get that all the time. I'm sure when I post my newest story at Amazon drops here, I'll get comments about the MC being a bitch.
Like I said in another thread I'd started, this seems to be a lit thing. Nothing I've written on SW or anywhere else has gotten any kind of abuse over having cheating wives or aggressive or dominant female leads.

This is what happens on a free site that allows anon comments. Its the only price those twats can afford, and the only way they'll comments is when no one can see who they are.

writing women.png

😝

(women are people. If you can write people, you can write women. Work on writing your best people. Rest should work itself out.)

Crowd sourcing all female writers!

Jared here - my experience for several years was that of being with a very dominant/teaching female. I am exploring/chewing on getting into writing but wanted to know...appropriateness of a male writing from that perspective. Yes, it is my experience and what I went through but I was on the other side of the proverbial fence. Curious your thoughts.

J
Go for it! I have done it several times, and never copped any flack for it. Nobody is paying, and you're not getting paid...write what turns you on. Enjoy!

Jared here - my experience for several years was that of being with a very dominant/teaching female. I am exploring/chewing on getting into writing but wanted to know...appropriateness of a male writing from that perspective. Yes, it is my experience and what I went through but I was on the other side of the proverbial fence. Curious your thoughts.

J
Your gender is not important to the story.... As a writer...
The important thing is....
Write... It can be the most amazing experience.
You clearly have an urge to express it, the written word is the perfect medium.
90% of the stories on Literotica were written by men. That is only my opinion, not a proven statistic. Even in the Lesbian category. Most of the stories are written by men.
Nobody will be offended.
Join the party, write, express yourself. I promise, you will enjoy it.

Cagivagurl.

Go for it! I have done it several times, and never copped any flack for it. Nobody is paying, and you're not getting paid...write what turns you on. Enjoy!
Love this advice! Thank you!

Agreed - it’s my story, it’s my experience and cards on the table, it was and still is hot ;)

Your gender is not important to the story.... As a writer...
The important thing is....
Write... It can be the most amazing experience.
You clearly have an urge to express it, the written word is the perfect medium.
90% of the stories on Literotica were written by men. That is only my opinion, not a proven statistic. Even in the Lesbian category. Most of the stories are written by men.
Nobody will be offended.
Join the party, write, express yourself. I promise, you will enjoy it.

Cagivagurl.
So well said. Thank you for the kind words and encouragement

J

Just go ahead and do it! We all write characters we are not. I, for example, am certainly not a heptapod. LOL. So just go ahead and try it out. I would say tho, men generally write with a different perspective, so one thing I'd suggest is read some good novels written by female writers to get that state of mind down.

Just go ahead and do it! We all write characters we are not. I, for example, am certainly not a heptapod. LOL. So just go ahead and try it out. I would say tho, men generally write with a different perspective, so one thing I'd suggest is read some good novels written by female writers to get that state of mind down.
Way ahead of you on getting inspiration and a good female POV!

My female Sylvie personality, who is also known as Lisa Coleman, says it’s fine. Just try not to make your bossy unorthodox biker therapist action heroine too over the top.

J

Just write it. Write from the perspective that best fits the story you want to tell. If it's a M first person so be it, if F first person go for it...
No one should tell you what to write.

I've written several stories from a female perspective (three Loving Lily stories, Fun with Fingers, By Voice and By Candle, and more than half the scenes in my four instalments of The Rivals). I've even done one where the POV character is never defined as male or female (Love at First Sight).

None of these stories is rated lower than 4.31, so I don't think anyone has much of a problem with it.

Female writers - thoughts on male writers writing a female dominant charater?​

Just write it. If you are worried. There are some female writers here who might be willing to take a look and offer you some ideas.

Women are just men with less testosterone, not a different species.

Women are not inherently nicer than men. They are not inherently more bitchy than men. They are not inherently kinder than men. They are not inherently non-aggressive (yeah testosterone does have some role here). We all conform to some degree to societal norms, which are learned behaviors. But we are all just H. sapiens at the end of the day.

Em

Comment left on one of my stories: “Wow. Just, wow. You are either a woman or you had help. That was the best female character lead story I have read on here. Sweet Jesus.”

I always found this comment interesting because I’m not and I didn’t.

So, yes, it is possible and it can be rewarding. Good luck.

Comment left on one of my stories: “Wow. Just, wow. You are either a woman or you had help. That was the best female character lead story I have read on here. Sweet Jesus.”

I always found this comment interesting because I’m not and I didn’t.

So, yes, it is possible and it can be rewarding. Good luck.
Empathy and imagination trumps authorial gender 😊.

Em

Back