Entertainment Discussion Forum

Noon_Shadow

Corrupting Influence
Here's an open invitation to talk about whatever is currently keeping you amused, in as much or as little detail as you like. This is inspired by the amount of discussion of our favorite films and TV programs which occasionally strays into several other topics-I'd like to give it a new home where we can enjoy (if we wish) more lengthy discussions about what exactly we currently like. I am casting a very wide net here, so anything is fair game. TV, Movies, books-Were you thrilled by Season Premiere of "Dexter?" Does Real Steel seem like it's worth watching (I'm somewhat conflicted). Were you really mad at the end of A Dance with Dragons? (I certainly was).

Feel free to be as critical or not as you like. Maybe you found the dialogue really awkward at times, perhaps you really thought the cinematography was superb, or maybe you just liked it for no real reason at all. We've got a forum here of writers who can appreciate well-crafted storytelling, so I'm open to hearing what they have to say. And it need not be current! If you enjoyed comedic "M*A*S*H" a lot more than when it became dramatic, or you saw a "Star Trek" rerun that really made you think, feel free to write about it.

Since I hope that this can be a place where we might have some in-depth discussion, it may also contain spoilers. We'd like to allow people to peruse this thread without spoiling something that they might enjoy in the future, so there's an easy work-around. Give a quick *SPOILER ALERT* and then switch to white font.

*Spoiler Alert*

This is how you prevent ruining plot twists and key character development for those who haven't seen something yet.

Please, jump in!

I'll open things up by talking about what is probably my favorite current TV drama, House. It's probably in its last season, and it's a show that really deserves a strong send-off, so I'll be following it closely all year.

First, I'm rather upset by the direction they had to start this season. Lisa Edelstein quit the show, which means they had to write her out in convincing fashion (she wouldn't accept less money). I really hate that contract negotiations dictate a significant turning point in the plot. Considering where her relationship with House had gone, it wasn't going to be easy. *Spoiler* One episode last season, in fact, teased that they might kill her off entirely. After all the crap that Cuddy went through with House, never firing him, it required taking extreme actions to justify having her leave. Which led to the unfortunate season 7 finale, which really stretched...a lot of things, including the willful suspension of disbelief.

Honestly, I don't know how I felt about the episode itself.*Spoilers* A lot of crap has happened to Dr. House now, since he's been in rehab (which he naturally faked), then a mental health ward, and now he's spent most of a year in prison. It's almost character assassination, how much crap they've put him through. He used to be much more sympathetic before he went borderline homocidal at the end of last year. This attempts attempts to push him back into the realm of sympathetic, but it does that mostly by putting him through even more crap. I think it's a pretty well written episode, all told, and the medical mystery is solid. Unfortunately, constraints due to external factors make this feel very similar to the first episode in season 6 (in many ways), which was actually a much better written story, in my opinion.

I perhaps went a bit conservative on the spoiler protection here, I'm not sure how much or little is going to be appropriate just yet.

Looking forward to The Walking Dead on AMC. Interested in seeing where the new corps of writers takes it. Solid season of The Ultimate Fighter starting with Bantamweights and Featherweights, little guys who never get tired and go start to finish with everything.

Looking forward to The Walking Dead on AMC. Interested in seeing where the new corps of writers takes it. Solid season of The Ultimate Fighter starting with Bantamweights and Featherweights, little guys who never get tired and go start to finish with everything.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Walking Dead. Maybe I should check it out...I'm not really a fan of zombie stories, really-they seem like mostly gratuitous violence when they play out on the big screen. But as I've said, I've heard good things.

It's violent, there's no doubt. They do, however, try and lend depth to the characters. They explore the emotional ranges of the cast as they go through the encounter. I think, for the most part, they've done an admirable job. Any media with zombies involved is prone to certain flaws. Campiness, at times, is amongst them. But I like it. A lot. It's a complete and crafted effort.

Does Real Steel seem like it's worth watching (I'm somewhat conflicted).

When I first saw the trailer, I thought Rock' Em Sock' Em Robots: The Movie. Aside from that, it looks like a popcorn movie. Don't expect too much and you less likely be disappointed.

I'm enjoying a series of books now written by Carrie Vaughn, the first one is called "Kitty and the Midnight Hour". I'm actually on the second one now: 'Kitty Goes To Washington". These two aren't new or anything, but whenever new ones come out, I sometimes go back and read the series from start to finish.

The premise is that Kitty (an unlikely name for her, considering) works the midnight shift on a local radio station in Denver, mostly playing alternative music until one night she decided to open the phone lines to talk about supernatural stuff. The show becomes a sleeper hit on late night talk radio and soon she gets syndicated as an advice show. The catch is that it's advice for the people and creatures living on the edge, in the shadows, in the night. You see, Kitty is a werewolf.

She's the lowest in her local 'pack' but she's beginning to find her strength and come into her own. as her show takes off and becomes a hit, her self confidence builds too. Her pack Alpha doesn't like it, and it begins causing problems.

Anyhow, it's a fun read. Not exactly high literature, but good entertainment.

When I first saw the trailer, I thought Rock' Em Sock' Em Robots: The Movie. Aside from that, it looks like a popcorn movie. Don't expect too much and you less likely be disappointed.

I think that's an important point. I'm the kind of person that enjoys just about every movie I see because I tend to go into a movie looking for the qualities and not the faults.

That said, I'll be skipping that one. I don't think it'll be really bad - I just think the things it will do well won't appeal to me.

Speaking of Real Steel, did you guys see that Hugh Jackman did a stint on WWE and accidentally broke the wrestlers jaw when he punched him? :eek:

Speaking of Real Steel, did you guys see that Hugh Jackman did a stint on WWE and accidentally broke the wrestlers jaw when he punched him? :eek:

I read about that. After a little digging it turns out that the wrestler was lying. He's fine. That said - I'd take Jackman in a fight over that dude.

I read about that. After a little digging it turns out that the wrestler was lying. He's fine. That said - I'd take Jackman in a fight over that dude.

Ahh, figures, a wrestler lying about being hurt, :rolleyes: but yeah, me too. I think Jackman could wreck Ziggler. Sadistic side of me is kinda bummed he really didn't get hurt.

These days I really don't watch anything I can't find on Netflix except Daily Show/Colbert and Dr. Who.
But, I gotta say, this last episode of Dr. Who was amazing

The other day I went to a used book store in the city where I found the first season of Exo squad. A saturday morning cartoon from my childhood but with excellent writing and compelling characters. So I was jazzed and nostalgic enough to buy it and am glad I did.

Also from the same book store I found the Excalibur Alternative which is the only book by my favorite military scifi writer David Weber I was missing of his ouvre. When I finish Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi: Ascension I look forward to reading it.

Overall it was worth the long car ride.

I'm looking forward to seeing Real Steel. Keeping in mind most films that open in sept. and Oct. is scraping the bottom of the barrel. If I go in not expecting too much I shouldn't be too disapointed when the credits roll.

Yeah, I'll definitely spend 60 bucks on a video game before I spend 20 bucks to watch Hugh Jackman in another action role.

I have never watched Dr. Who.

Me either. And you know, it's one of those things that has been around for freaking ever, and I wonder how I never even really stumbled into it at some point. I do enjoy well written science fiction plots, like Star Trek from the early-mid 90s when it was at the height of its acclaim.

Me either. And you know, it's one of those things that has been around for freaking ever, and I wonder how I never even really stumbled into it at some point. I do enjoy well written science fiction plots, like Star Trek from the early-mid 90s when it was at the height of its acclaim.

if you do decide to give it a shot, it really did change radically with the reboot

Yeah, I'll definitely spend 60 bucks on a video game before I spend 20 bucks to watch Hugh Jackman in another action role.
I would spend the $20 to see Hugh do anything.. $60 if he's half naked. :D
I know right? A lot of my friends talk about it but I never even attempted to see what it's about. Of course, I'm not a big sci fi fan either so..

Cherry, you really need to get some control. $20 to do anything, $40 if upper half naked, $60 for lower half naked.

I loved Chris Eccleston as the doctor but David ******t was the doctor for me (please keep in mind those are the only two doctors I've actually ever seen) This new kid that says he's the doctor....Haven't seen him so I can't judge.

Not a big Dr. Who fan, but definitely psyched for The Walking Dead to return.

I loved Chris Eccleston as the doctor but David ******t was the doctor for me (please keep in mind those are the only two doctors I've actually ever seen) This new kid that says he's the doctor....Haven't seen him so I can't judge.

He took a while to get used to, but he's grown on me.
I would have liked to see Eccleston run another season, but yeah, David's the Doctor.
And no, no one seems to know why his name gets bleeped on Lit.

Back