Emily Miller’s Ask Me Anything [about my stories] thread

Back in the olden days wasn't it possible to reply to the comments directly here or is that a figment of my imagination?

Back in the olden days wasn't it possible to reply to the comments directly here or is that a figment of my imagination?
if you mean Comments to stories, you can only write your comment, but can't quote / link to someone else's. It's been that way since 2014 at least, which is when I joined Lit.

A figment, I think.

Hi,

This is a total experiment. Given the dearth of author interaction functions here, I’m going to include a link to this thread in future stories.

It’s not intended as in lieu of comments, rather if there is something you’d like my feedback on.

It’s not meant to be: “What is your favorite breakfast cereal, Emily?” [cue that as a response of course], more “are you planning to write more about character X?” or “where did you get the idea for plot point Y?”

As I say, just an experiment.

Em
Em,
I think it was brave. Opening your creative process and thoughts. Searching for some interaction, some feedback, be it good or bad.
I looked on, and watched as it derailed.... The usual culprits, who couldn't disconnect their egos, even for a moment.
More interested in pushing their own little preferences.
I grew up in an environment where books were my saviour. I read endlessly as a child. Still do. I never watch TV, give me a book. Th feel of the paper as I flip through the pages.
Words, I adore them, my favourite stories are the ones rich in dialogue.
Sorry, I digress. I was attracted to the AH, by the thoughts of interacting with other writers. Asking why they did certain things, how they processed ideas.
Alas, the AH is all just self obsessed nonsense. New writers post questions, and they are derided, mocked, and their questions lost.
Such a shame...
The AH, could be something wonderful. "Oh well."
There are nice people, like yourself in here, trying. I drop by occasionally, waiting for that spark...

Cagivagurl

Em,
I think it was brave. Opening your creative process and thoughts. Searching for some interaction, some feedback, be it good or bad.
I looked on, and watched as it derailed.... The usual culprits, who couldn't disconnect their egos, even for a moment.
More interested in pushing their own little preferences.
I grew up in an environment where books were my saviour. I read endlessly as a child. Still do. I never watch TV, give me a book. Th feel of the paper as I flip through the pages.
Words, I adore them, my favourite stories are the ones rich in dialogue.
Sorry, I digress. I was attracted to the AH, by the thoughts of interacting with other writers. Asking why they did certain things, how they processed ideas.
Alas, the AH is all just self obsessed nonsense. New writers post questions, and they are derided, mocked, and their questions lost.
Such a shame...
The AH, could be something wonderful. "Oh well."
There are nice people, like yourself in here, trying. I drop by occasionally, waiting for that spark...

Cagivagurl
Oh, that’s sweet of you to say.

Than you

🙏🙏🙏

Em

Thanks for the opportunity to connect - I came late to this thread and you have already exploded with comments, so forgive me if other's have asked already: Are you someone who collaborates with other writers? What kinds of work do you enjoy reading the most? Also - I know you're on again off again relationship with hiatus is semi-public knowledge at this point, but what's the balance ratio of your writing/reading of this sort of work vs. other things you do with you life and time?

Sorry - I hads many questions

Late - was watching a movie…

Are you someone who collaborates with other writers?
I’ve co-written one story with @Djmac1031 and we have intertwined our respective Angels & Demons stories. I’ve written in parallel with @EStaccato - borrowing fictionalized versions of each other for our stories. I’ve provided - I hope - helpful input to a number of authors here. Ranging from beta reading, to discussing concepts, to just being a sounding board.

I acknowledge anyone who has helped me in endnotes. There is a large range of people. But again, @Djmac1031 and I mostly run our ideas past each other and I hope we both benefit from this, I know I do.
What kinds of work do you enjoy reading the most?
Aside from people have mentioned, I enjoy emotional works (maybe a counterpoint to my stories being rather clinical at times). That includes: @EStaccato @onehitwanda and @MelissaBaby - but I do read others when I have time.
Also - I know you're on again off again relationship with hiatus is semi-public knowledge at this point, but what's the balance ratio of your writing/reading of this sort of work vs. other things you do with you life and time?
I have a job that is unevenly busy. I can end up working 16 hours days, or have time on my hands. I write on my ‘phone, so I fit this round whatever else I am doing. I also write very quickly. I read about people here taking a long time to do 1,000 words. I’m normally quick. Then maybe my standards are lower.

I have a happy personal life. We both have hobbies that overlap and where we are each involved in some capacity in what the other is doing. That includes writing for me.
Sorry - I hads many questions
Hope that helps.

Em

Last edited:
But again, @Djmac1031 and I mostly run our ideas past each other and I hope we both benefit from this, I know I do.

It's a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Just to add on to Em's thoughts for the OP; Our level of collaboration has varied over time.

Generally, we've become each other's beta reader. One of is writing a story, the other proof reads along the way as it's developing. The proof reader will be on the lookout for technical mistakes and point them out of course. But it's more about offering feedback, be it general or specific.

Other collaborations have been much more complicated; especially our mutual Angels & Demons sagas.

Em wrote her stories. And I wrote mine. But we both had a lot of input into each other's stories as we developed worlds and characters.

Although, being honest, Emily has probably had a much larger influence on what happens in my stories than I in hers.

Although, being honest, Emily has probably had a much larger influence on what happens in my stories than I in hers.
This is total self-deprecation. These are maybe superficial examples of a greater truth:

1. I have a really poor sense of smell (I’m atopic and use nasal inhalers) - I never really write about smell in my stories, @Djmac1031 changed that (and latterly @EStaccato has super charged this)
  2. What most people take as exhibitionism / voyeurism is #notmykink but one of my best rated series is in this category now (one in which @Djmac1031 has made a name)
And his ideas are laced through most of my work since Fragile.

Em

This is total self-deprecation.

Not sure what self-depreciation is, but if it's anything like self-flagellation, count me out.

Kidding, of course. But thank you for the kind words.

Like I said: a mutually beneficial arrangement. 😉

Nice idea here. I think we hashed out this topic on a thread earlier this year about reader/author feedback and communications. I just don't feel comfortable replying to emails back and forth if someone does send feedback. The comments are spotty at best (especially in non-con) and one has to rely on voting to get a general idea of how they're doing.

Since you have started collaborating with djmac1031 I have to say that the writing has definitely improved both in style as well as subject matter. The Teaching Eden series I especially liked from your most recent works.

And I still have the Ghostbusters song rattling in my head. 😹

Since you have started collaborating with djmac1031 I have to say that the writing has definitely improved both in style as well as subject matter. The Teaching Eden series I especially liked from your most recent works.
I should acknowledge other influences as well. Probably @NoTalentHack convinced me to write more emotionally (for me at least) and the example set by @onehitwanda ’s delicate works was influential.

Having said that. I’d already embarked on that journey myself. I think it was Fragile, which is an emotional work, told from a male POV, was how both @NoTalentHack and @Djmac1031 both noticed me.
And I still have the Ghostbusters song rattling in my head. 😹
I had it in my head from Halloween and it wouldn’t go away 😬.

Em

Late - was watching a movie…

I’ve co-written one story with @Djmac1031 and we have intertwined our respective Angels & Demons stories. I’ve written in parallel with @EStaccato - borrowing fictionalized versions of each other for our stories. I’ve provided - I hope - helpful input to a number of authors here. Ranging from beta reading, to discussing concepts, to just being a sounding board.

I acknowledge anyone who has helped me in endnotes. There is a large range of people. But again, @Djmac1031 and I mostly run our ideas past each other and I hope we both benefit from this, I know I do.

Aside from people have mentioned, I enjoy emotional works (maybe a counterpoint to my stories being rather clinical at times). That includes: @EStaccato @onehitwanda and @MelissaBaby - but I do read others when I have time.

I have a job that is unevenly busy. I can end up working 16 hours days, or have time on my hands. I write on my ‘phone, so I fit this round whatever else I am doing. I also write very quickly. I read about people here taking a long time to do 1,000 words. I’m normally quick. Then maybe my standards are lower.

I have a happy personal life. We both have hobbies that overlap and where we are each involved in some capacity in what the other is doing. That includes writing for me.

Hope that helps.

Em
I am made better for knowing things, haha

Back