Dumb Ass Moments When You Wish You Could Bang Your Head On Something 🙄

gordo12

Experienced
Sitting in the pub last night with a friend. Somebody starts rearranging the tables behind us. The guy leans over beside me and says, "Sorry, it's going to get noisy here." He looks about 30.

I jokingly said, "It's okay as long as there are some good-looking girls with you."

I look back, and there's the wife and three little girls, maybe 4 to 8. I felt like an asshole and wanted to beat my head on the table.

For some reason, they put the tables back and sat elsewhere.

In my defence, where I came from, never allowed children in bars. Here, they're good till 8 pm and in clubs up to 10. I really don't like it, as children have no place in adult situations.

Have you ever done something so embarrassingly dumb you immediately wished you could take back?

Welllllll... Dad & Co. may think you're a perv, but you would get a standing ovation from my wife for "encouraging" them to find a spot as far away from you as possible. In similar situations, we look at each other in a "This isn't the kind of place for kids, it's nearly empty, so why in the F do they have to sit right next to us?" We have left restaurants in similar circumstances, canceling our order on the way out the door.

Being unaware or even ignorant of your "bubble" has become endemic. Comes with the general societal FU that seems to blessed our way of life starting, oh, in late 2015/early 2016.

Sitting in the pub last night with a friend. Somebody starts rearranging the tables behind us. The guy leans over beside me and says, "Sorry, it's going to get noisy here." He looks about 30.

I jokingly said, "It's okay as long as there are some good-looking girls with you."

I look back, and there's the wife and three little girls, maybe 4 to 8. I felt like an asshole and wanted to beat my head on the table.

For some reason, they put the tables back and sat elsewhere.

In my defence, where I came from, never allowed children in bars. Here, they're good till 8 pm and in clubs up to 10. I really don't like it, as children have no place in adult situations.

Have you ever done something so embarrassingly dumb you immediately wished you could take back?
Bar & Grilles will. We had this neighborhood place that we'd get food at. Rule was we couldn't sit at the actual bar, although we lived two houses down and I guess they seen me and my step brother enough, they never said anything if we sat at the bar and waited on food. There was another place that was a bar & grill, had an arcade in it like Chuck E Cheese, was a family place until 8pm.

To answer your question, I can think of one situation from a few years ago. I was over a friends(guy and his girlfriend) house and their friend(who's a transman) and his mom was there. Normally I'm quick with jokes, almost as quick as say Hawkeye Pierce. Like once their blind weedman was over and I had him laughing, especially the last one, which he set himself up for; he and his wife was leaving and he said he'd see us later, I said; no you won't. Anyway... I was in a funk and trying to fight off depression and we were talking. I don't remember the details but I cracked a joke that was intended for my friend(my friends girlfriend) that bombed so bad, that it came off looking transphobic to and aimed at our friend, and his mom about lost it. I felt like slicing my wrist the wrong way, that night.

[No personal attacks or trolling - including creating accounts for this specific purpose. Heated discussions are fine, even welcome. However, personally attacking / kink-shaming a fellow author or reader is not allowed within the Author's Hangout. Threads which devolve into the exchanging of insults will be closed and repeat offenders will be given a timeout, per the AH rules.]

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not a dumb ass moment.

That's your true colors coming out. Not every guy's immediate response to something has to be about women, that's the sign of an unenviable personality trait. A classic example of @stickygirl comment about the "Boys will be Boys" attitude.

I'd say it was a good thing the father was classy enough not to tell you to F off, and settled for moving away.

I also don't think you feel bad. You posted this looking for people to tell you, it's okay and they shouldn't have been offended. That or you just think its funny and wanted to share.

Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning?

That's your true colors coming out. Not every guy's immediate response to something has to be about women, that's the sign of an unenviable personality trait. A classic example of @stickygirl comment about the "Boys will be Boys" attitude.

I'd say it was a good thing the father was classy enough not to tell you to F off, and settled for moving away.

I also don't think you feel bad. You posted this looking for people to tell you, it's okay and they shouldn't have been offended. That or you just think its funny and wanted to share.
tumblr_n1m9o3lbiP1rx9ovro1_250.gifv

Years ago...

I was at this party / social gathering. Some people I hadn't seen in a long time, including this one woman kinda friends with my wife.

Again haven't seen them in awhile l. But I remembered hearing she was pregnant.

At one point in the conversation I asked her when the baby was due.

She ran off, crying.

Turns out she'd given birth months ago. It was just the baby weight.

I wanted to kill myself. 😳

[No personal attacks or trolling - including creating accounts for this specific purpose. Heated discussions are fine, even welcome. However, personally attacking / kink-shaming a fellow author or reader is not allowed within the Author's Hangout. Threads which devolve into the exchanging of insults will be closed and repeat offenders will be given a timeout, per the AH rules.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps not so much a Bang Your Head On Something moment, but it was a watershed point in my growing up.

In about 7th grade, we would throw barbs at each other as adolescents boys do. One kid was a bit on the chubby side so we chided him on it and he would return fire. But one day, waiting for class to start, he didn't engage with our invectives, and simply looked ahead blankly. So we let it pass. Later, I learned that his mother had died the night before and his father sent him to school that day anyway.

I was horrified. But it did awaken a sense of empathy that takes a while in young men. And I could see that type of taunting for what it was.

Usually, the proceeds out of an asshole stay in the toilet, not on the board!

Back