Do you wonder why Fantasy/Sci-Fi authors don’t create worlds that have all their sexual fetishes?

CurtGiles46

Literotica Guru
I’ve often wondered why Fantasy/Sci-Fi authors don’t insert all their sexual fetishes into the story’s world. Like the novel series “Hunger Games” was so perfectly suited for major alterations on human sexuality but this opportunity was missed.

For example, I’ve always thought it would be interesting to create new norms around sexuality and nudity.

I would design a society where male public nudity was legal everywhere. Women would become accustomed to seeing numerous big and small cocks in public everyday.

However, far from this nudity being some type of male empowerment, the media would be strongly feminist and make it clear that it simply didn’t matter if men were nude in public because male bodies were utterly common and thus weren’t special enough for laws to keep them covered up.

There would be social pressure felt by most males to spend time nude in public. Even the most shy male would buckle under this pressure and he would appear nude in public 50 days per year. While it would not be unusual for extroverted males to never wear clothes in public.

In addition, because so many males were always nude in public and the male body was deemed not special, more males would give themselves over to homosexuality and bisexuality.

The new laws and new cultural norms would have tremendous consequences on human sexuality.

Because they don't write erotica? Because their focus is not on sex? Because it serves no purpose for their story? Because their stories is somehow based on real life to be easy to follow?

Because they don't write erotica? Because their focus is not on sex? Because it serves no purpose for their story? Because their stories is somehow based on real life to be easy to follow?

I’m not saying a whole Fantasy/Sci-Fi story has to be erotica. But the sexuality of a culture is interesting and reveals a lot about it.

When you say basing it on “real life”, you mean the same American/Western culture of today.

What’s wrong with showing a future society who are different from us?

I had a teacher that was a published author of many Science Fiction books...

It was a true shocker because she was a Nun School Teacher!

1. Sometimes it looks stupid, even from a storytelling perspective. Harry Potter had an invisible cloak and a Marauder's Map, but he never used them to spy on girls? No way. Or, at Charles Xavier's school there are horny teenagers with superpowers and no sexual incidents occur? Moreover, initially the X-Men were an allusion to the LGBT community.
2. I can understand why that is. I don’t know how it works, but I have sexual fantasies in my head and there are fantasies about the adventures of fictional characters. And these fantasies do not intersect. I think most authors do the same.
3. In fact, such stories exist, they are just not in the mainstream and we need to look for them better. For example, you can look at the Gor series of adventure novels, which take place on a planet with active female slavery. There is a lot of relevant content and discussions on this topic, I heard, I just can’t find the time to read it myself.

Do I wonder

"why Fantasy/Sci-Fi authors don’t create worlds that have all their sexual fetishes"​

?

Er, nope. I have so much on my plate which is more demanding/fascinating. There's a stretch of newly-applied wallpaper in my house which is slowly drying and which urgently requires watching...

Old school sci-fi/fantasy from the late 60's until the mid 80's had LOTS of sex and fetish stuff, often pretty misogynistic (female characters were often raped, often with the writer implying that she'd brought it on herself).

A lot of these stories were written famous authors,using a different pen name.

I think the appeal of nudity, whether it be CMNF or NMCF is the "wrongness" of it. When you invent a fake world that can have any rules, the fun factor is lost.

Once on a diner-date I stripped my wife naked and had her ride the two hours back home without clothes... through rural and urban areas with lights. We nearly got stopped by the police, and she later said it was such a turn on remembering that, that she masturbated often just thinking about that night. The police that night made what she was doing VERY real!

Now imagine her zipping across a galaxy naked in a spaceship. Since rules are arbitrary in such a setting, what is the thrill in that?

It becomes a Catch22. The more rules devised to make 24/7/365 nudity plausible since accountability has to be toned down for people to be willing to do it, is the same reason it no longer holds its appeal. If a writer injects their personality into a character, and a reader always likes to relate to characters, then having little appeal to both indicates why so few erotic nude stories in science fiction exist.

I know you openly stated that you were stripped nude by a bully in public, and I can see where to combat that, it only makes sense to have everyone who is male nude so that moment would have been mitigated, but making up a fictional word with rules to do that is going to only appeal to you, and others that endured what you have. What that was, was not merely embarrassment; it was humiliation and humiliation is absolutely devastating to a person. I have been publicly humiliated, and while not via public nudity, it was very hard to recover from. I am so sorry you were victimized by that bully so many years ago...

That being said though, heal by doing. Make it what it ain't, as I often told my students. If there are not many stories out there of science fiction public nudity, write some stories. I think it is futile to encourage others in this endeavor, but it does not mean you can't right the cart. Write a story of a world where a bully's antics are useless...

I think the appeal of nudity, whether it be CMNF or NMCF is the "wrongness" of it. When you invent a fake world that can have any rules, the fun factor is lost.

Once on a diner-date I stripped my wife naked and had her ride the two hours back home without clothes... through rural and urban areas with lights. We nearly got stopped by the police, and she later said it was such a turn on remembering that, that she masturbated often just thinking about that night. The police that night made what she was doing VERY real!

Now imagine her zipping across a galaxy naked in a spaceship. Since rules are arbitrary in such a setting, what is the thrill in that?

It becomes a Catch22. The more rules devised to make 24/7/365 nudity plausible since accountability has to be toned down for people to be willing to do it, is the same reason it no longer holds its appeal. If a writer injects their personality into a character, and a reader always likes to relate to characters, then having little appeal to both indicates why so few erotic nude stories in science fiction exist.

I know you openly stated that you were stripped nude by a bully in public, and I can see where to combat that, it only makes sense to have everyone who is male nude so that moment would have been mitigated, but making up a fictional word with rules to do that is going to only appeal to you, and others that endured what you have. What that was, was not merely embarrassment; it was humiliation and humiliation is absolutely devastating to a person. I have been publicly humiliated, and while not via public nudity, it was very hard to recover from. I am so sorry you were victimized by that bully so many years ago...

That being said though, heal by doing. Make it what it ain't, as I often told my students. If there are not many stories out there of science fiction public nudity, write some stories. I think it is futile to encourage others in this endeavor, but it does not mean you can't right the cart. Write a story of a world where a bully's antics are useless...

I think public nudity would still be shocking and erotic if it was only certain types of people doing it not the entire population. As long as the clothed ones are considered the elite, there will be a stigma and shock to public nudity.

I think public nudity would still be shocking and erotic if it was only certain types of people doing it not the entire population. As long as the clothed ones are considered the elite, there will be a stigma and shock to public nudity.
Yeah, that is true.

Too bad really about the elite part though. I agree with you, that is what makes the lack of clothing part humiliating, but I just don't think any one person is better than another. We all have something to contribute to this world.

Some Sci-Fi and fantasy writers do get pretty kinky. Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time features lesbian witches, a teenage fem dom Empress, and one of the protagonists in a harem with three regular women and other wannabes. Robert Henlein wrote a book about an alien who started his own free love religion. LRH featured all sorts of depraved smut in Mission Earth. These are but the examples that come easily to mind.

I think it's probably a fear of being found out. All of us here know all kinds of things about JRR Martin for example - he included every kink and incestuous thing possible in his work. I'm sure some of it he finds a turn on.

If something TRULY disgusted me I wouldn't be able to write about it in detail. Also it's possible they were simply disciplined enough to keep their fantasies from creeping into their higher-self sci-fi work.

Back