Do you leave comments?

Well, the way I see it there is no option to reply like in the forum. What you can do is to write your email adress into the comment if you want a reply. What I also tried is to write a member via the forum, which oddly sometimes doesn't work. Meaning the person has a profile but somehow writing this person is denied. Don't know what that is about.
Writers can block feedback, and can turn PMs off. Just because you might want to engage with a writer, doesn't mean the writer wants engagement. Many don't.

By the way, you should never put your email address in a public comment - that's against site rules. You can use the feedback function and tick the box if you'd like a reply, but remember, authors can block feedback, and it's up to them to reply.

Writers can block feedback, and can turn PMs off. Just because you might want to engage with a writer, doesn't mean the writer wants engagement. Many don't.

By the way, you should never put your email address in a public comment - that's against site rules. You can use the feedback function and tick the box if you'd like a reply, but remember, authors can block feedback, and it's up to them to reply.
Right, I meant that feedback function. ;-)
And I wasn't aware that I could block feedback. Maybe I should that when somebody gets too pushy...

Right, I meant that feedback function. ;-)
And I wasn't aware that I could block feedback. Maybe I should that when somebody gets too pushy...
I'm not sure that you can block an individual, but you can block all feedback, story by story (and turn it in or off at any time).

You can't do anything about anonymous feedback, obviously, but if an account holder goes over a line, you could report them to the site. The site could then check whether it's a one-off douchebag, or whether the guy has got form. The site gives you a couple of ways to manage harassment, so make sure you know what they are.

I really enjoy talking about a story, so when I read a story I usually leave a comment in hope for a reply. Interesting enough most the time there is no answer from the author. I made this experience with older stories and new stories. Maybe the comment section is too complicated.
It's a nice idea, but yeah.. I would not expect on the whole any reply from any author, because the few that I have actually got some type of reply from, they are very busy people so to get even 3 to 4 sentences is a real treat. I just say if one happens to engage you, jump over the moon! If not, don't be disappointed. I normally just leave a comment because I enjoyed what I read or not and I leave appropriate constructive criticism, and if that gets the author's attention so be it. It's kind of my way of saying hey you didn't just write this and no one cared.. aside from a possible vote of course, so that's my way of telling them it is appreciated.

It's a nice idea, but yeah.. I would not expect on the whole any reply from any author, because the few that I have actually got some type of reply from, they are very busy people so to get even 3 to 4 sentences is a real treat. I just say if one happens to engage you, jump over the moon! If not, don't be disappointed. I normally just leave a comment because I enjoyed what I read or not and I leave appropriate constructive criticism, and if that gets the author's attention so be it. It's kind of my way of saying hey you didn't just write this and no one cared.. aside from a possible vote of course, so that's my way of telling them it is appreciated.
Some of my stories ha9
Some of my stories have 6 thousand views and quite good reviews, but only 3 comments. As author this is really frustrating. I really would like to hear the readers what they liked and their ideas for follow up stories.

Some of my stories ha9

Some of my stories have 6 thousand views and quite good reviews, but only 3 comments. As author this is really frustrating. I really would like to hear the readers what they liked and their ideas for follow up stories.
Thankfully the site owners composed a comments policy and a comment FAQ, right underneath the comment box with blue hyperlinking. Now does that mean that more readers will start engaging and leaving meaningful feedback? I don't think so necessarily, because the more I see things from people, they react in very superficial ways in the majority, so you might get something like perhaps great story I liked it. How useful will that be though? I know it won't be very helpful at all, although it will provide affirmation. The historical amounts of comments is typically going to be under 2%, and I just read another thread somewhere in the last couple of days that if want one author stated that he got one comment out of every hundred people that read it, he was thinking he was doing pretty well. Now I hope it changes of course, but I'm not going to hold my breath.. people should be aware enough to realize that if they get to enjoy something, that they should at least say hey I enjoyed it and here's one reason why. Here's to hoping right?

Thankfully the site owners composed a comments policy and a comment FAQ, right underneath the comment box with blue hyperlinking. Now does that mean that more readers will start engaging and leaving meaningful feedback? I don't think so necessarily, because the more I see things from people, they react in very superficial ways in the majority, so you might get something like perhaps great story I liked it. How useful will that be though? I know it won't be very helpful at all, although it will provide affirmation. The historical amounts of comments is typically going to be under 2%, and I just read another thread somewhere in the last couple of days that if want one author stated that he got one comment out of every hundred people that read it, he was thinking he was doing pretty well. Now I hope it changes of course, but I'm not going to hold my breath.. people should be aware enough to realize that if they get to enjoy something, that they should at least say hey I enjoyed it and here's one reason why. Here's to hoping right?
By the way. I published stories on amazon in the past and the feedbacks aren't any better. :LOL:

The historical amounts of comments is typically going to be under 2%, and I just read another thread somewhere in the last couple of days that if want one author stated that he got one comment out of every hundred people that read it, he was thinking he was doing pretty well. Now I hope it changes of course, but I'm not going to hold my breath.. people should be aware enough to realize that if they get to enjoy something, that they should at least say hey I enjoyed it and here's one reason why. Here's to hoping right?
My stats, consistently over nearly ten years and 120 something chapters/ stories, is one Vote per hundred Views, and one Comment per thousand.

Unless your story is in Loving Wives, a 2% return on Comments is exceptional.

By the way. I published stories on amazon in the past and the feedbacks aren't any better. :LOL:
To be fair, the content in here is free, whereas the content on Amazon is assumed to be purchased. So in my mind somebody paying for the content is normally going to be far more critical.. although you would think that if someone here just thinks about it for a second that they're getting it free, then they should be like okay I'm going to show more consideration. Unfortunately because of the internet giving people some privacy, they think there are no consequences for their words, and there still can be.. but because there's no immediate consequence, they feel emboldened to continue.

Instead of whining and complaining that my latest story has received zero comments despite the warm score reception, I like to ask instead:

For those of you that DO leave comments: What motivates you to leave a comment? Do you focus on the technical, the overall experience, the constructive critique?

For those of you who DON'T usually leave comments: First of all no hate your way (please people, maybe we can learn something) - what would help turn that around? Is there any reason (experienced or heresay) that would keep you from commenting? For example, someone once told me that they didn't leave comments so that others wouldn't be able to see what he was reading and judge him for it. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your replies (now watch this get no replies - 😂)
My comments usually center on how the story made me feel. If I liked it, if it turned me on, well written.

My stats, consistently over nearly ten years and 120 something chapters/ stories, is one Vote per hundred Views, and one Comment per thousand.

Unless your story is in Loving Wives, a 2% return on Comments is exceptional.
One comment per thousand?? Wow, I hope that's not the case with my stories. That's demoralizing.

One comment per thousand?? Wow, I hope that's not the case with my stories. That's demoralizing.
Actually, it shouldn't be demoralizing as much as you might think, because the sad fact is we have far fewer thinkers that consume content and try to analyze it today then we ever have had in the past. You don't have to look far in let's say American high schools, and if you actually go into some of those classrooms and observe what's going on, there's little to no critical thinking going on anyway.. unless you happen to be in a super rich and well-funded public school, where the parents demand the administration forces the teachers to provide a rigorous curriculum. Unless that is true, You've Really Got very few that are going to move Beyond their own self-interest, because the sad fact is that unless they've gotten past the idea of only the convenience to them.. you probably aren't going to get a comment from those people.

I will leave comments, and if I have criticisms will try to be kind.

I seen both extremes;

Someone going apeshit over a small error in an otherwise well crafted story or a gushing declaration of love and admiration over a hack piece.

I've been here awhile, and sadly note the downhill slide in story quality.

Minor edit for spelling

Last edited:
Setting aside LW, which is a community unique to itself, I've always said you get comments if your writing is very good, or very bad, but if you're in the middle of the bell curve, silence.

I'm scattered across many categories, and that's my overall ratio. It's typical of many others in the AH, whenever this comes up, and better than many.

Setting aside LW, which is a community unique to itself, I've always said you get comments if your writing is very good, or very bad, but if you're in the middle of the bell curve, silence.

I'm scattered across many categories, and that's my overall ratio. It's typical of many others in the AH, whenever this comes up, and better than many.

I enjoy this site, so I guess I have to adjust my expectations in regards to comments here.

I am bringing with me prior experiences of another writing site from my younger days writing mature fanfics and accumulating hundreds of reviews and comments in a fairly short amount of time. To be fair, the show I wrote the fics around was very popular at the time. My email still pings now and then from new comments from that site more than fifteen years later.

Okay...

I'll admit up-front that I haven't read the entire thread here, mainly just the initial post.

Regarding comments: Early on, there wasn't a public comment option. All you had was sending feedback in an email. Eventually, I got tired of our good buddy Anonymous and the asinine things he/she/it often said. Therefore, I blocked anonymous feedback. It meant I didn't get the ever-so-helpful "Your story sucks" type baloney anymore. Of course, this means I don't get the positive anonymous feedback anymore, also, but I reasoned it out that the ego strokes, while nice, weren't going anywhere, either.

Now, do I post comments? Not often. I don't personally think the world needs to know what I think. If I feel like a story merits a comment, I'll use the old-fashioned feedback option to address the author directly (I think that still works).

I only comment if I overall enjoyed the story, but mostly just if I really loved it. I rather just make the people who made my day more fun happy with my comment, but it's not worth spending time slamming people for things I didn't like. I like when some things exist in the world and it makes me super happy when I seethose things done well in stories. Otherwise I am content keeping to myself and moving along my day.

I usually leave comments on stories that sexually arouse me which are decently written. I never post a comment or send a negative one if I didn't enjoy the story. I write erotica myself and LOVE reading the comments made by my readers, good or bad ones don't matter. Just knowing you read my work was satisfying to me. I write gay erotica that does involve girlfriends or wives that I weave into my work. My username is PG564E. Latest title is "PUT THIS IN YOUR MOUTH".
Would appreciate any comments of course.

Being a first time writer, I actually want my readers to leave comments, constructive criticism is welcomed. How am I to know where I can improve at without feedback? If you disliked it let me know why. Are my paragraphs to long? Is the sex scenes to bland or to overdone? Things like that I want to know about. How can I grow as a writer without the feedback?

Being a first time writer, I actually want my readers to leave comments, constructive criticism is welcomed. How am I to know where I can improve at without feedback? If you disliked it let me know why. Are my paragraphs to long? Is the sex scenes to bland or to overdone? Things like that I want to know about. How can I grow as a writer without the feedback?
I can totally unserstand your point. Feedback is important and a motivational factor.

I appreciate all comments because of a similar reason. I appreciate feedback even more because English is not my first language, nor a language spoken in my country except with foreigners, so every little thing helps improve my skills.
On the topic of feedback, I should give more to others too, do unto others and all that.

Thank you to all this responded on this thread. I'm going to try to make sure that I post a comment on the stories I read here from this point forward. I agree, that I look forward to getting responses on my work. But I also get disappointed when all it is is people being snarky and no help.

Back