Do you leave comments?

BgDaddy33

Really Experienced
Instead of whining and complaining that my latest story has received zero comments despite the warm score reception, I like to ask instead:

For those of you that DO leave comments: What motivates you to leave a comment? Do you focus on the technical, the overall experience, the constructive critique?

For those of you who DON'T usually leave comments: First of all no hate your way (please people, maybe we can learn something) - what would help turn that around? Is there any reason (experienced or heresay) that would keep you from commenting? For example, someone once told me that they didn't leave comments so that others wouldn't be able to see what he was reading and judge him for it. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your replies (now watch this get no replies - 😂)

I base it simply on did I enjoy the story. Grammar mistakes don't bother me unless its a lot of them, and the same mistake over and over. I do have an issue with people who don't format properly and have huge blocks of text because it makes it hard to read, but otherwise if the story is good I'll leave a remark.

Instead of whining and complaining that my latest story has received zero comments despite the warm score reception, I like to ask instead:
Given the proportion of readers to commenters here and on other sites, it's amazing that you get any. It's a constant mystery to me how the vast majority of readers are not prompted to say anything. Obviously the forums are loaded with people who like to express their opinions. But we're a tiny minority of the readers.

For those of you that DO leave comments: What motivates you to leave a comment? Do you focus on the technical, the overall experience, the constructive critique?
I never leave a comment about technical stuff. And I rarely (never???) leave negative comments. I leave comments when something pleases me.
For those of you who DON'T usually leave comments: First of all no hate your way (please people, maybe we can learn something) - what would help turn that around? Is there any reason (experienced or heresay) that would keep you from commenting? For example, someone once told me that they didn't leave comments so that others wouldn't be able to see what he was reading and judge him for it. Thoughts?
I'll be interested to see responses to this, if you get any. See above.

I've left some... 90 comments--I'll go through and count which of those are on stories other than my own but I'll guess at least 30-50 (41, counted... some 30 stories in my reading list yet, heh). I do like to chat back with my audience if they take time to comment and I think I'm blessed to have receptive readers who chime in very often.

I'm a bit of a selective reader, because the style of writing I enjoy isn't a common practice here. But if I read a story through and I thoroughly enjoyed it I absolutely let the author know that, specifically what I enjoyed about it or what I thought of their prose. I leave them for first time or novice writers too, just as much as seasoned authors, because I know comments are coveted and I like to give newbies something to look forward to in addition to constructive criticism.

I don't leave negative comments. Don't much see a point in snarking at anyone over something they've written and shared, I hit the back button and keep it moving.

Last edited:
I've only written two stories with a fourteen year gap between. So, ignore me if you don't think I am worthy of talking about this...lol.

My first story got feedback. I was very thankful. It made me want to write more reviews because I sincerely believe that a writer deserves praise or constructive criticism.

The second story I've written is in another catagory and isn't doing great, but I believe it is because in the fourteen years since my first published story, people are in a rush... also I write really long stories and the majority of the readers want it fast and dirty/quick and easy.

That's just my humble opinion though.

I don't read as much as I used to but when I do I leave a review if the story was good or if I can give constructive criticism. Again though, as a writer I know how important a review is.

Also, I would definitely rather receive a nasty review than a one star.

I've only written two stories with a fourteen year gap between. So, ignore me if you don't think I am worthy of talking about this...lol.

My first story got feedback. I was very thankful. It made me want to write more reviews because I sincerely believe that a writer deserves praise or constructive criticism.

The second story I've written is in another catagory and isn't doing great, but I believe it is because in the fourteen years since my first published story, people are in a rush... also I write really long stories and the majority of the readers want it fast and dirty/quick and easy.

That's just my humble opinion though.

I don't read as much as I used to but when I do I leave a review if the story was good or if I can give constructive criticism. Again though, as a writer I know how important a review is.

Also, I would definitely rather receive a nasty review than a one star.

I can understand losing readers in between long stretches, but I would imagine people willing to take two minutes to leave you some words, good, bad or otherwise shouldn't be a hard ask.

What was enjoyed, what parts didn't work at all. I would be interested in all of it.

Last edited:
I've started leaving more comments now that I've published a few stories and understand how much I long for them myself. I try to say something at least tailored to the story, if not exactly substantive.

I'm very surprised at the low numbers. I've always left comments to any story I got to finish. I just assumed it was the proper thing to do.

I've honestly debated doing full story reviews for a while because I'll read just about anything without bias and I feel I'd be able to offer some decent insight. I just don't think I have the time to dedicate to such an endeavor right now, sadly... maybe in the future. In any case... I'd be happy to give your work a look and leave you a detailed thought when I get a moment.

I base it simply on did I enjoy the story. Grammar mistakes don't bother me unless its a lot of them, and the same mistake over and over. I do have an issue with people who don't format properly and have huge blocks of text because it makes it hard to read, but otherwise if the story is good I'll leave a remark.
If the story is too riddled with mistakes (usually past/present tense issues bug me the most) I may not be able to finish it, but usually I can overlook them and try to understand what they were trying to say/convey. If I am able to finish it, I comment every time, focusing on the positive and being kind about the negative unless. If the writer is serious about wanting to improve their craft, they can always reach out for more details, if they just wanted to share a fantasy, then the constructive feedback would fall on deaf ears (blind eyes?)

Last edited:
Pretty much every time I finish a story. As a Lit writer, I know the frustration of little to no feedback so I try to help show the writer that their work was enjoyed. If I have an issue or something in particular excites me, I go into more detail.

I've honestly debated doing full story reviews for a while because I'll read just about anything without bias and I feel I'd be able to offer some decent insight. I just don't think I have the time to dedicate to such an endeavor right now, sadly... maybe in the future. In any case... I'd be happy to give your work a look and leave you a detailed thought when I get a moment.
I'm just frustrated but my feelings are echoed well in the comments here.. even when someone writes "for themselves," they are still posting it here to be read by others, to be met with silence is pretty disheartening.

What was enjoyed, what parts didn't work at all. I would be interested in all of it.
I wouldn't add what parts didn't work unless the author asked for such in a forward. I always do ask for such. I find them always interesting and often helpful. I don't comment on parts that didn't work for me erotically unless there are reasons why they should have worked, or, in one instance, because I'm in an ongoing friendly conversation.

I'm just frustrated but my feelings are echoed well in the comments here.. even when someone writes "for themselves," they are still posting it here to be read by others, to be met with silence is pretty disheartening.
The thing is, we're the writers, they're the readers, so there is something of a divide. It is what it is.

My rule of thumb, over nearly ten years of writing, is one comment per thousand views, and one vote per hundred. If I do better than that, the story's done well.

Thanks in advance for your replies (now watch this get no replies - 😂)
I tend to not focus on the technical side of a story or how well it was written. But the story itself and if there is any feeling there.

I tend to not focus on the technical side of a story or how well it was written. But the story itself and if there is any feeling there.

I'm currently reading one and the way the writer executed story breaks was impressive. I'm making mental notes to comment on it. 😊

As someone else mentioned above, I didn't really start commenting until I started posting stories. But I only comment if I really liked the story and hope to see more in the future.

I usually only leave comments when I really like the story. I used to be pretty happy to leave scathing criticism if I thought a story was bad, but since I started publishing my own stuff, I’ve refrained from doing that. I don't like my stuff being slagged off, so it's not fair for me to do the same to others (even if some stories deserve it).

I comment when I feel I have something useful to say. I can love a story but not feel inspired to give a response because my 5-star vote more or less says it all. I can think a story is terrible, but not have anything useful or constructive to say; better not to say anything in that case.

Or... I can be inspired to give what I hope will be useful feedback, either praise or constructive feedback.

It just depends on how the story lands!

I can love a story but not feel inspired to give a response because my 5-star vote more or less says it all.

Thank you for your response!

I would gladly trade every 5 star vote for a few words that told me how my story was received.

I usually only leave comments when I really like the story. I used to be pretty happy to leave scathing criticism if I thought a story was bad, but since I started publishing my own stuff, I’ve refrained from doing that. I don't like my stuff being slagged off, so it's not fair for me to do the same to others (even if some stories deserve it).

What would warrant a story deserving a scathing review?

As someone else mentioned above, I didn't really start commenting until I started posting stories. But I only comment if I really liked the story and hope to see more in the future.
Do you look at the story's score when looking for what to read? It's length?

What would warrant a story deserving a scathing review?
If it was particularly bad. There would have to be some specific issue that I felt the need to point out. If it was just generically bad, I doubt I’d have bothered. But I don't do that anymore.

Back