Official Unofficial Review: Eldritch Pact

Djmac1031

Consumate BS Artist
I didn't necessarily set out to start my own Story Review Service here.

But I did mention I would try to do so if asked, when I could.

And so when @MediocreAuthor asked me to review her story Eldritch Pact, I agreed.

Now let me be very clear; I make no claim to be an “Expert,” neither as a writer nor reviewer. So this may be rough around the edges.

My goal here isn't to destroy a story, pick apart the minutiae of it. Nor am I here to embarrass anybody, or shame their kink, or their skills.

So this will be less a “review” than just tips or advice or my random thoughts while reading the story.

So let's get to it. Eldritch Pact, mild spoilers may apply. Link below if you wanna read first.

https://www.literotica.com/s/eldritch-pact

Okay so right off the bat: I'm not one of those readers put off by long forwards with lots of disclaimers. That said, there's an argument to be made that it will either scare off or bore a new reader and chase them off your story before they even begin.

Disclaimers / forwards are fine, just keep them brief.

On to the story.

I don't wanna do too many of these, because they're the kind of mistakes we all make. But there are a few I'll touch on.

The creatures continued pacing, staring at him uncomprehendingly. They were wily, true, but their intellect did not grant them the ability to understand his words.

An example of overstating the obvious. I would have suggested dropping “uncomprehendingly.” It's a long, awkward word anyway.

Any light that struck it seemed to be completely absorbed, forever lost.

“Seemed to be” is one of my pet peeves. Most times it's unnecessary. The light was either absorbed or it wasn't.

The “exaggerated diacritics” with the character dialog was a bold choice. If the intent was to make the reader uncomfortable, mission accomplished. That said, I don't hate it.

“She has all the power in this situation.’

This is one of those things I can't help but feel is for the readers benefit more than something a character would actually think. Even if that is indeed the case.

In all fairness, Stavos was completely inexperienced in matters of the opposite sex.

Pretty sure this is the second time you stressed this.

He was a grown man, but in sexual matters he felt clumsy and nervous.

but Stavos felt so stupid and naive.

but his bashfulness and inexperience were overwhelming.

I think we get it.

Ordinarily, a virginal man receiving such an impressive oral performance would have climaxed almost immediately. However, somehow Rashãndia knew exactly how far she could tease this cock...

Okay good save here because I also was wondering how this guy you've stressed repeatedly has no experience and never even touched himself hadn't popped yet lol.

but L'ventia also noticed that his manhood was once again as stiff

“Also noticed” is another one of my nit picky pet peeves.

Could just as easily have read “He let out a muffled cry of distress, but his manhood was once again as stiff as stone.”

The constant purr of the growths

I gotta admit: the vibrating phallic hair tendrils are clever and unique lol.

Okay, so I've picked at some little details. Now to the overall story.

I was a little worried, as generally, Non Con isn't my thing. That said I try to judge on a case by case basis and in this instance it's fine.

Stavos consented to the “pact,” knowing full well what it entailed. So more “reluctance” than actual non con.

Overall I enjoyed the story. Always love a good She-Demon / Succubus tale; I've written a few of my own.

I've edited a good chunk of this out after realizing it truly did spoil quite a bit of the story, including the ending.
@MediocreAuthor and I discussed it more privately instead.

What I will say is I think that overall the story is solid, although I felt there were a few missed opportunities to expand on both the nature of the MMCs quest, and his pact with the Succubus / Demon.

And then there were other times I felt the author didn't trust her readers and several times overstated things or clearly spelled out things to the point of it being redundant.

That said; I liked it. it flows well. It's an interesting premise with potential to carry it on should you wish to do so.

The world building was great, as were the action scenes. I never found myself confused as to what was going on.

The main male character is sympathetic; the She Demon, both alluring and frightening. Good characterization goes a long way to making an interesting story even better.

Would I recommend it to others? Absolutely. IF you enjoy fantasy stories, of course.

Don't let the Non Con category throw you off. It's not an apologetic rape story. I think it would have been better served being put in Fantasy. But maybe that's just me.

I hope this is what you were looking for, and that it's been helpful.

This is truly remarkable. Every single review of this story has focused on different aspects compared to all the other reviews and presented a different critical opinion. There are also some obvious conflicting points between those opinions/reviews. I would say that this further reinforces what I said to @Bazzle - that our opinions are always colored by our own biases and impressions. I am beginning to wonder how exactly is one supposed to gain insight from what seems to be too much confusing feedback 😄

This is truly remarkable. Every single review of this story has focused on different aspects compared to all the other reviews and presented a different critical opinion. There are also some obvious conflicting points between those opinions/reviews. I would say that this further reinforces what I said to @Bazzle - that our opinions are always colored by our own biases and impressions. I am beginning to wonder how exactly is one supposed to gain insight from what seems to be too much confusing feedback 😄

in fairness, I haven't read anyone else's review. @MediocreAuthor asked me to do this story specifically.

In the end, "reviews" are really just opinions for the most part.

and we all know that old saying about opinions 😆.

Because writing is an art.
why does everyone get cross when movies are made of books? Because the director, the casting director, the screenplay writer have all taken their interpretation and put it on screen.

Art is to be interpreted.

Nice review. You have a sharp perception and an original approach.

Personally, I favor a hammer over a feather (the shattering effect is always spectacular), but that was good enough, despite the unpleasant odor of "one hand washing the other."

Unfortunately, I couldn't finish reading; what some might consider pet peeves could be blood-boiling for others, and at my age when a stroke is a constant threat, it's essential to manage blood pressure.

I'll just note that adverbs are quite welcome when they're three syllables long. Four syllables tiptoe into the danger zone, and five are literary landmines (except for: miraculously, unexpectedly, specifically, automatically, interchangeably, and inevitably).

Last edited:
Thank you so much again for this review, @Djmac1031 💕

I could defend some of my choices, but I think all of your criticisms were fair, even if I stand by my choices.

Pretty sure this is the second time you stressed this.

I think we get it.
I know that I continued reiterating over and over Stavos' lack of experience, but honestly that was one of the things that drew me to the concept in the first place.

I find an inexperienced man being used by an experienced woman very erotic, so I really emphasized it. Of course, I find the adverse just as erotic, as anyone who has read my work can attest. Lol

I considered placing this in Fantasy instead of Noncon, but I had always heard that NC/R trumped everything.

Anyway, thanks again for reading and reviewing. I really appreciate it 😁

Back