Do you believe in the Devil?

The problem with your approach is that if there really is a God, “your problems” and what you’d “rather” won’t matter.

Most likely there is one religion that has it right, or close enough. To figure out which one, you probably have to put aside your own preferences and purposes.
Why is that most likely? Why wouldn't it just as likely that none of the religions has it right?

SURE... God created everything... ALL POWER... ALL KNOWING ... OMNIPRESENT...
but.... created the Devil and can't control him. Multiple Gods??
Bullshit! The "Good Book" needed a bad guy.
They also needed to put all the other gods into some context.
It's great fun when you get to create religion!

SURE... God created everything... ALL POWER... ALL KNOWING ... OMNIPRESENT...
but.... created the Devil and can't control him. Multiple Gods??
Bullshit! The "Good Book" needed a bad guy.
They also needed to put all the other gods into some context.
It's great fun when you get to create religion!
there's also that interesting take on the blatant plagiarism of older religions

Good and evil were invented in books...so it makes sense to use books to differentiate them.

Oddly, why is it good and evil and not good and bad?

Good and evil were invented in books...so it makes sense to use books to differentiate them.

Oddly, why is it good and evil and not good and bad?

Bad is what happens to milk sitting in the fridge too long.

Evil is adding Sarin to the milk.

Then again? I would like to search all the Trump heads for 666 like Damien

He has a hold on the soul of America, and not for any good reasons

I’ve long thought that the creation of the devil myth was just a way for people to justify doing something they knew was wrong and got caught at it. Or to quote Geraldine Jones, “The devil made me do it!”

So why isn't it Angelic and Evil?

Because, personally, I don't like bringing anything smelling of theology into ethical debates.

Too often it makes what should be a guideline about being a better person into an excuse for being a dick to other human beings.

Because, personally, I don't like bringing anything smelling of theology into ethical debates.

Too often it makes what should be a guideline about being a better person into an excuse for being a dick to other human beings.
Yah, you don't seem to get my question.

So why isn't it Angelic and Evil?
Who was selling it?

The "good" who wanted to place prominence on the "bad".

Which is better, a comparative word statement, or a biased one to make your case? Using words that emphasis the bad as evil to make your point,while keeping the "good" as simple and pure.

Who was selling it?

The "good" who wanted to place prominence on the "bad".

Which is better, a comparative word statement, or a biased one to make your case? Using words that emphasis the bad as evil to make your point,while keeping the "good" as simple and pure.
I think you might be correct. Although I think it's more about the "evil" side in that religious folks wanted people to discourage bad behavior and so any bad behavior was seen as "evil".

I think you might be correct. Although I think it's more about the "evil" side in that religious folks wanted people to discourage bad behavior and so any bad behavior was seen as "evil".
I'd agree, it was about discouragement of bad behaviour, as opposed to just placing a label on someone.

No
In order to do that would have to believe in God.
God as a man made construct would give yo the Devil also as a man made construct.

The thread title reminds me of this song. I heard it years ago and never got around to finding more Holly Golightly music.

Back