Do you believe in the Devil?

AchtungNight

Lech Master
A powerful malicious entity dedicated to the corruption and destruction of mankind.

I’m active in adult entertainment and enjoy needling people about their attitudes. Some have called me an ally of the Devil. :)

I have never intended to be such and would not hold myself as evil. As far as an actual Devil, I’m with my fictional tiger friend Hobbes on the matter- “I’m not sure mankind needs that kind of help.”

What do you believe?

Wrong forum.

(And, before you get cheeky and note this is the Politics Forum...still wrong forum.) 🙂

The supernatural incarnation of the devil depends on your belief system.

I believe that the devil in reality is little more than the most despicable of human beings that has no morals, no decency, and no sense of right and wrong. They are here for one purpose and that is to do the most harm that they can to their fellow man.

I believe that the devil in reality is little more than the most despicable of human beings that has no morals, no decency, and no sense of right and wrong. They are here for one purpose and that is to do the most harm that they can to their fellow man.
I concur!

I concur. And I do not consider opening minds to be harmful. That includes reminding conservatives of the viewpoints they refuse to consider. Same goes for extreme liberals, they can be harmful too.

I concur. And I do not consider opening minds to be harmful. That includes reminding conservatives of the viewpoints they refuse to consider. Same goes for extreme liberals, they can be harmful too.
Extremists are always harmful because they see no other viewpoint and are willing to do whatever it takes to enforce their agenda.

i believe in neither a god nor a devil
A powerful malicious entity dedicated to the corruption and destruction of mankind.

I’m active in adult entertainment and enjoy needling people about their attitudes. Some have called me an ally of the Devil. :)

I have never intended to be such and would not hold myself as evil. As far as an actual Devil, I’m with my fictional tiger friend Hobbes on the matter- “I’m not sure mankind needs that kind of help.”

What do you believe?
no

nor do i believe in some all powerful all-caring benevolent 'god'

good and evil are concepts created by the human mind but i see acts and thoughts that are positive and better our fellow earth-sharers as 'good', whereas those that actively work to the detriment of them as bad, with (perhaps) 'evil' being the extreme of these though quite unattributable to some entity; on the other end of the scale, extreme 'good' as... hmmn, i need to find a word for that which isn't related to religion!

Last edited:
Beats the living crap out of me! Insufficient data.

The question of whether deities (Allah to Zeus, take your pick) exist or not is irrelevant anyway. There are far more important questions.

Problem is, arguing over deities is too often an excuse to do harm.

Religion is dumb.

If you can't fathom that human beings are capable of any shade of morality and instead need to brand them as inhuman, then religion may be for you.
Interesting...because you see religion can be more than just church of the deity one believes in. A religion is unquestioning belief in any person or system. So unquestioning you will attack anyone who disagrees with it, and make excuses for all the evil your cause may do.

Politics is a religion, and sheeple like you are no different than the way you perceive Christians...which of course is how you're told to because you have no will of your own. When your overlords speak you jump. They tell you who to like, who to hate, how to feel and what you do.

Guess you're dumb too.

Interesting...because you see religion can be more than just church of the deity one believes in. A religion is unquestioning belief in any person or system. So unquestioning you will attack anyone who disagrees with it, and make excuses for all the evil your cause may do.

Politics is a religion, and sheeple like you are no different than the way you perceive Christians...which of course is how you're told to because you have no will of your own. When your overlords speak you jump. They tell you who to like, who to hate, how to feel and what you do.

Guess you're dumb too.
I haven't attacked anyone.

What do you believe?
Jesus is the Sun. The Devil is the lack of Sun or light. Light and dark. The classic battle between the two. The Prince of Darkness vs The Light of the Day, the Most High, The Crown of Thorns, He rises everyday as the savior from the dark. The greatest story ever told, it's a story. Without the Sun there is nothing, so does that leave darkness more powerful or light? Luke (LUC=light vs darth vader, black) it's the longest rerun ever, maybe that's why we keep getting the same stories over and over. So, the devil is a made up character as is Jesus. There's a lot of evidence to back that up. Corporate logos, country flags, they all seem to get it. If you were to ask me we're getting played by some beings who know a lot more than we do and have fed us horse shit all of our lives. People are starting to get it. Native peoples, nature peoples, knew all along, you can read their quotes tearing the slave making religions up! The religions seem like tricks to get the very many to work hard for nothing or very low wages in the hopes of making it to heaven, where Jesus, the Sun, lives. Where's the sun Johnny? It's in the heavens... Cheers!

If the sun is good, why does it burn me if I look directly at it? Why does it make the earth so hot? If the night is bad, why am I more comfortable in the dark? Why will my lover only embrace me in the dark? Why do I need to stay up at night to see late movies and attend certain events? This is too simple!

I am being sarcastic here. Relax. :)

What do you believe?
I'm a "born-again atheist(TM)". I think all religion is silly. But if it helps you deal with life and makes you kind towards other people, I fully support you. Unfortunately, too many people use their religious beliefs to justify hatred and cruelty towards others. They are like that with no help from a Devil.

I'm agnostic myself. I believe in God because of some crazy coincidences in my life and I don't fully understand science, so I need an intuitive leap. I also like the idea of a benevolent higher power directing me now and then. But defining that higher power's intentions and settling them with each person's perspective is difficult sometimes. Perhaps competing details of each person's preferences is where I should best be alert for the Devil- if such an entity exists. ;)

Humans have been well-tuned by evolution to analyze the actions and motivations of other humans. So when we're confronted with a cryptic phenomenon, our go-to explanation is to personify it. Hence the invention of deities and demons, ghosts and spirits.

So no, there is no such thing as the Devil. He's a naive personification of the random malevolence of the world.

I'm agnostic myself. I believe in God because of some crazy coincidences in my life and I don't fully understand science, so I need an intuitive leap. I also like the idea of a benevolent higher power directing me now and then. But defining that higher power's intentions and settling them with each person's perspective is difficult sometimes. Perhaps competing details of each person's preferences is where I should best be alert for the Devil- if such an entity exists. ;)
You seem to have a healthy, self-aware, even logical basis for your belief (although saying both you're agnostic AND you believe in God could be questioned). I can't fault you for your position. I hope it serves you well.

You seem to have a healthy, self-aware, even logical basis for your belief (although saying both you're agnostic AND you believe in God could be questioned). I can't fault you for your position. I hope it serves you well.

Thx. There are multiple kinds of agnostics and atheists, you know. Some of us accept that God might exist, but we just don’t want a specific religion to define God for us. My main problems are with religions that think their way is the *only* good way- obviously wrong- and I’d rather not follow a tradition that holds being an ethical slut as a sin.

Christianity is creepy and morbid. Christianity's boogeyman is as expected in a creepy religion. Gods and demons exist, at least in history and imagination, so there are plenty of options.

"The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the world he did not exist."

-The Usual Suspects

I'm more yin/yang, the implication being that each of us is demon and angel.

I think that it logically follows that in that sense I believe in devils, but perhaps not The Devil.

Despite the prevailing attitude here in this fortress of Leftism, Donald J. Trump was not The Devil...

Christianity is creepy and morbid. Christianity's boogeyman is as expected in a creepy religion. Gods and demons exist, at least in history and imagination, so there are plenty of options.
I'm an Atheist and live in one of these most Christian places in the nation, if not the world and I am not surrounded by the creepy and morbid, which logic would dictate, would have to follow from the philosophical teachings. And I used to go to church three times a week (well, one of them was Boy Scouts, but back then, almost the same thing and we met [congregated] in the church).

The concept of the Devil (and by implication, Hell) is nether unique to Christianity or Western Culture.

They borrowed...

The two most important questions are:

1) Is there a God?
2) If so, what does he expect of us?

The answers to those questions will affect the answers to many others.
I thought this post was about the devil ¯⁠\⁠(⁠°⁠_⁠o⁠)⁠/⁠¯

Back