Converting a story to a series - Truth or Fantasy?

LuckyKatie

Virgin
Hey everyone!! My first story was published just a little over a week ago, and the response has been so, so overwhelming. I've received so many wonderful comments from so many people that I just can't even believe it. I've changed a bunch of details, but it's basically a true story about my first time with another girl. You can check it out here: https://literotica.com/s/cruise-ship-passion

All of the positive feedback has raised a dilemma for me though. So many people are asking for a sequel. There's definitely a lot more to the true story that I could tell, but I'm worried that the true story is boring and will not meet readers' expectations. Shouldn't all stories continue to build up to a climax? Should I make up some fantasy about what could have happened that makes things more interesting? Or should I stick at least somewhat closely to the truth? I guess I could not even write a sequel, but so many people have clamored for one, that I think I kind of owe them.

My tiny story, that I thought would garner so little attention, could actually end up becoming a lengthy series. I just want to do it right. I'd love to hear any advice that could help this newbie writer convert a simple story into a series.

My advice, based on past experience, is to write a story that matches your expectations more than readers’. You are the creator of your story, so you need to please yourself. Also make sure the sex you depict is consensual and enjoyable for all participants per their mutual preferences. The overall plot should be the same. Concentrate on one story at a time. You did Lesbian first, so maybe a different pair of girls can come next, or more girls, or guys, whatever you want. Keep it interesting, don’t go beyond your ability. Adhere to Lit’s guidelines too. Good luck.

If you write a good story there will always be readers wanting more. And something based on truth doesn't have stay that way. Feel free to embellish if you think of a "what if" scenario. Congrats.

All of the positive feedback has raised a dilemma for me though. So many people are asking for a sequel. There's definitely a lot more to the true story that I could tell, but I'm worried that the true story is boring and will not meet readers' expectations. Shouldn't all stories continue to build up to a climax? Should I make up some fantasy about what could have happened that makes things more interesting?
If you think the truth is uninteresting, make stuff up. Who's going to know?
Or should I stick at least somewhat closely to the truth? I guess I could not even write a sequel, but so many people have clamored for one, that I think I kind of owe them.
No, you don't. If you don't want to write a follow on, don't.
My tiny story, that I thought would garner so little attention, could actually end up becoming a lengthy series. I just want to do it right. I'd love to hear any advice that could help this newbie writer convert a simple story into a series.
Write another story, base it on truth if you like, or make it up. As I say, no-one will know but you. You don't seriously think all stories here are true stories? Surely not!

The thing to know: if people liked your first story, even though they're clamoring for an extension of that one, chances are, they'll read whatever your next one is, continuation or not.

And the thing about writing real life: while maybe not exactly boring, it does tend to get repetitive. So, use real life as the outline and bolster it with make-believe. As has been said: you're the only one who has to know.

Last edited:
My advice, always, is to let that first little gem stand all by itself, and resist the temptation to continue it.

If, as you say, you're a newbie writer, I reckon you're best off writing ten or so short stories, each stand alone. That way, you learn how to really write, nail your technical chops, and most importantly, discover your natural style. In other words, do an apprenticeship first. Learn how to walk before you fly.

A longer, more complex story, will be so very much better when you're a more proficient writer. Develop your skills as a writer, and richer, more satisfying stories will naturally follow. But do your apprenticeship first.

Don’t you ever dream of “what could have happened if?”

I often wonder how different life would be if I’d made some different key decisions, if I’d made that first move, if I’d taken up that invitation.

What could have happened next in your story if only…?

Set your imagination free and run with it. 💥

Write the series and don't be afraid to lean into the fantasy, just keep the characters true to who they were in the first story and have them grow from there. Use the truth for inspiration by all means, but don't bind yourself to it if you can imagine something more fun.

People clamor for more of the same because it's familiar. They've already vetted it.

Show them the next one will be better.

First off, congratulations on knocking it out of the park with your first story. A 4.85 rating and lots of glowing comments means your story was very, very well received.

I've seen lots and lots of times where an author publishes a story, gets a strong response, and then creates a series continuing the original story. If that's what you want to do, then do it.

The downside to doing that is you'll get a much smaller audience for the second chapter than you got for the first. The audience for each chapter will shrink. But as you're audience shrinks, it should become more loyal.

To me, it comes down to what you are excited about writing. I think many new authors find it challenging to conceive story ideas that excite them enough to get them to sit down and write the story. If continuing the story of Katie and Ashley is what excites you, then do it. If you have other story ideas that excite you more, then write those.

Back