Conversation

Some of those words are now official dictionary words

OMG, LOL and FYI are in there as far i know.

Ah yes, you are right and I do have to admit I use FYI. And also, BTW sometimes. Maybe my rule is that I only use official dictionary words.

I agree with most of this. I grew up with the netspeak generation, prior to before it was even txt speak, but I found myself growing out of it. Is it really that difficult to type out you rather than just saying u.

I will admit in my mind if someone writes how are you, I tend to think they present themself as more intelligent as someone that writes how r u? I understand that they might not be connected at all, but that's just me.
However what really drives me bonkers is those that DeCiDe tO rAnDoMLy CaPiTolIze rANdOm letters in a sentence. Like that actually made my brain hurt to type that, and reading it is just a nightmare to me. But I haven't seen that in a few years so go me.

My grammar isn't perfect. I care less about that, it's more about the words and the idea they're striving to give me. If there's emotion involved even misspelling can still be hot. I knew someone I used to cyber with who made typing errors all the time, however the ideas she was trying to get across that it still aroused me.

Random capitalized letters would drive me insane lol.

Ah yes, you are right and I do have to admit I use FYI. And also, BTW sometimes. Maybe my rule is that I only use official dictionary words.

Some "text talk" doesn't bother me, I just don't want to read a whole message of it lol.

Some "text talk" doesn't bother me, I just don't want to read a whole message of it lol.

FYI, "some" text talk wouldn't totally put me off. BTW, I have never told anyone it turns me off, I just sort of wander away. LOL.

I find from my experience, people tend to be ok with the abreviations they use frequently, and get annoyed at ones they do not... but this is true with other language things also...
After going to school in southern ohio I started saying y'all... when I went north again my family and friends teased me for no longer saying you guys... lol

I find from my experience, people tend to be ok with the abreviations they use frequently, and get annoyed at ones they do not... but this is true with other language things also...
After going to school in southern ohio I started saying y'all... when I went north again my family and friends teased me for no longer saying you guys... lol

It’s interesting the “language “ you pick up while away from home.

I am a very suggestible talker... get me around someone with an accet long enough and I'll start talking like them haha.

Your use of Y'all made me laugh because I went to boot camp in Fort Sill Oklahoma, but many that I went with were from the south and said Y'all, I still use it today, a lot.

This is true. I don't mind the older stuff like BRB, BBIAB, LOL, and those things, but some of he newer ones annoy me a bit. My big issue is when it's all through the message, especially if it forces me to decipher what they're trying to say. That's always the biggest issue... having to work just to understand a message. More work should go into the writing than the reading, I think.

Last edited:
Good morning Literotica! I was sitting and drinking my coffee and yes, another thought popped in my head. Is grammar and proper grammar usage or lack of proper grammar usage a thing that will make or break you from having a conversation?

Like, does "text talk" make you want to stop a conversation with someone? Beyond the sex part of this site it is a site that is based on words and language after all.

as a C student of the chicago public schools, my grammar sucks..LOL.

so if it is a dealbreaker..oh well

i think my spelling isn't great either.

honestly it should NOT matter.

so in order to communicate with you, do your chat mates have to refer to the official dictionary before even sending a message or text?

That is interesting...

:)

as a C student of the chicago public schools, my grammar sucks..LOL.

so if it is a dealbreaker..oh well

i think my spelling isn't great either.

honestly it should NOT matter.

It likely won't matter to a person you match well with, because that means you're communicating in a way that engages them.

If the person I'm talking to has obviously made an effort to be clear and understandable, then grammar and spelling mistakes are a minor issue. The ability to express yourself clearly through your writing is important, and having at least some grasp of grammar can help accomplish that. Given the choice between a well-written, engaging message, and one that is sloppy and difficult to read, I'm going for the first one. It does matter, though how much it matters is going to depend on the situation and personal preferences.

It likely won't matter to a person you match well with, because that means you're communicating in a way that engages them.

If the person I'm talking to has obviously made an effort to be clear and understandable, then grammar and spelling mistakes are a minor issue. The ability to express yourself clearly through your writing is important, and having at least some grasp of grammar can help accomplish that. Given the choice between a well-written, engaging message, and one that is sloppy and difficult to read, I'm going for the first one. It does matter, though how much it matters is going to depend on the situation and personal preferences.

I guess it can be a way for women to weed through the 100's of messages they get each day.

for the men here, i think you just need to have a pulse...

I agree

Sometimes it has to do with effort for me. I'm not going through your message with a fine toothed comb looking for dangling participles or something, but can I tell that the person made an effort to try to sound organized in their thoughts? Or does it come across as slapped together with no regard to how they came across. So maybe some of it could be do the spelling errors look like careless errors?

Your use of Y'all made me laugh because I went to boot camp in Fort Sill Oklahoma, but many that I went with were from the south and said Y'all, I still use it today, a lot.

"Y'all", the second person plural pronoun that English otherwise lacks. :D

I guess it can be a way for women to weed through the 100's of messages they get each day.

for the men here, i think you just need to have a pulse...

For some, yes. :)

Not every woman gets hundreds of messages a day, though. I certainly don't. Not even tens of messages most days. I have very little weeding to do, so when I end up messaging with someone, it's usually because I popped into their inbox first.

I agree

Sometimes it has to do with effort for me. I'm not going through your message with a fine toothed comb looking for dangling participles or something, but can I tell that the person made an effort to try to sound organized in their thoughts? Or does it come across as slapped together with no regard to how they came across. So maybe some of it could be do the spelling errors look like careless errors?

Often, in something that is otherwise written well, spelling errors seem to be typos. They're generally easy to spot, but hard to catch when you're writing. They definitely get by me sometimes. Others, it's pretty obvious they have no idea how to spell the word and just guessed. That can give me a bit of pause, but it's situational, like most things. Depends on my overall feeling of the person I'm chatting with.

For some, yes. :)

Not every woman gets hundreds of messages a day, though. I certainly don't. Not even tens of messages most days. I have very little weeding to do, so when I end up messaging with someone, it's usually because I popped into their inbox first.

maybe that avatar intimates most men :)

Back