Colleen Thomas RIP May 26, 2006

Since she must go, and I must mourn, come Night,
Environ me with darkness as I write.

John Donne - His Parting from Her.

The news is almost too tragic to believe and I could echo so many of the comments I've read. Colleen wrote incredibly well, advanced lesbian fiction by streets and bounds, helped wannabee writers like me, argued cogently and with passion on difficult moral issues and was, just a star in our firmament.

We were privileged to have her amongst us and I will never forget both the encouragement and the firm, but friendly, put-downs she gave out. Her opus deserves better than to be spread like a diaspora over so many categories.

Colleen must be amongst the most influential writers on lit. Is there no way we can have some kind of memorial - perhaps a contest for first time entries - in her memory?

Melissa, I don't know you, but from the distance I stand away, I have a vague understanding of your sorrow.

My thoughts are with you.

Elle

A poem that I must submit soon.

It's called "I Just Found Out Today"

I did not know until today,
that you were gone, and there to stay.

I did know not until this morn,
that Death had come and I must mourn.

Scant hours now, that I have known,
and the pain has quite already grown.

It will be long before I can,
be a much less grieving man.

We did not love, we were simply friends,
but that does not this sorrow end.

We knew each other but on the Net,
yet you are one that I will not forget.

I am not as bereaved as the woman you loved,
but I am indeed in mourning enough.

Thank you, anyway,
for what you've done.

The news of your demise has left me stung,
but I still refuse to keep you unsung.

For those who never you did know,
I share nonetheless what pain here grows.

If this verse does any here confuse,
I ask forgiveness, for I had scarce the news,
that a dear, sweet lady, a Sapphic Muse,
has been further life refused.

It will take a week or two for me,
to remotely return to normality.

Sad

I haven't been around here for a long time, but had to come over when Lou told me the sad, sad news.

I didn't know her at all well, but after reading what so many have said, I wish I did.

My loss!

I'm sad now, even the big dick is drooping.

:rose: :rose: :rose:

rgraham666 said:
God, this breaks my heart to write.

Colleen's gone.

She suffered a heart attack on May 26, 2006. She's buried in Mississippi next to her grandfather.

I received a PM last night, through Colleen's account. I've been trying to find out the truth of it all day. I just spoke with her lover on the phone and she confirmed it.

Melissa told me that Colleen regarded us all as family and wanted us to know what had happened. If you want to get in touch with Melissa, PM or e-mail me and I'll give you the contact info.

Goodbye, Colleen. We're going to miss you more than words can say.

:rose:

OMG! I jus saw this. I had ta go thru th whole thread ta make sure it wasn't some sorta hoax. Dammit. I'll miss ya Colliesweetie. Ya was one a th best folks here.

I didn't know her well, but I knew her stories. She will be missed.

My deepest sympathy to her loved ones. Rest in peace, Colleen.

lewdandlicentious said:
I haven't been around here for a long time, but had to come over when Lou told me the sad, sad news.

I didn't know her at all well, but after reading what so many have said, I wish I did.

My loss!

I'm sad now, even the big dick is drooping.

:rose: :rose: :rose:

*hugs*

She really was someone very special indeed. I'll tell you more about her, and you can get to know her a little better. :)

Thanks, hon.

:heart:

Nirvanadragones said:
Would she realise how difficult it is for us to say goodbye to her? How much we miss her? How much she taught us? How much she gave of herself and what that meant to us? Would she know that we all wish we had just one more moment to send her a message and tell her how much she is loved and how much, if we could, we would take the pain away from her?

Would she know the peace of mind it brings that we know she can rest now, and not have pain?
Nirvana....... wow! thanks for the healing tears. :rose:

You know, assuming we live that long and Lit does too and we're all still around, 20 years from now we're going to be sending "HUSG" to each other and newbies will think we're all nuts. Every now and then one will ask, "What's with the 'HUSG' business?" which will be a marvelous excuse to reminisce and tell stories of Colleen Thomas, an angel who visited us for a while.

HUSG

Roxanne Appleby said:
You know, assuming we live that long and Lit does too and we're all still around, 20 years from now we're going to be sending "HUSG" to each other and newbies will think we're all nuts. Every now and then one will ask, "What's with the 'HUSG' business?" which will be a marvelous excuse to reminisce and tell stories of Colleen Thomas, an angel who visited us for a while.

HUSG

Perhaps its time then, to produce a 'Newbie's Charter', whereby each new arrival in the AH, is directed to a thread or something similar which outlines all the strange and inviolate customs of the AH.

Such as ....never using or mentioning 'pink' in Abs.
Such as.....the reason for the *HUSG* greeting.
Such as.....how long it takes to lose your virginity
Such as.....how long it takes to be able to choose your own title
Such as.....how long it takes to be able to have an AV

etc. etc. etc. etc.........

matriarch said:
Perhaps its time then, to produce a 'Newbie's Charter', whereby each new arrival in the AH, is directed to a thread or something similar which outlines all the strange and inviolate customs of the AH.

Such as...dont' call Svenska "Sven" :D

I can't believe it

Oh, dear God!

Colleen is one of my favorite authors. I had written her a few times.

I will miss her a lot.

Captain Midnight

rgraham666 said:
God, this breaks my heart to write.

Colleen's gone.

She suffered a heart attack on May 26, 2006. She's buried in Mississippi next to her grandfather.

I received a PM last night, through Colleen's account. I've been trying to find out the truth of it all day. I just spoke with her lover on the phone and she confirmed it.

Melissa told me that Colleen regarded us all as family and wanted us to know what had happened. If you want to get in touch with Melissa, PM or e-mail me and I'll give you the contact info.

Goodbye, Colleen. We're going to miss you more than words can say.

Another great lady (in every sense of the word) passes.

The world is a better place for her having been here.

matriarch said:

Such as...The Answer.

*sigh* Another AH denizen to miss. :(

ABSTRUSE said:
Its still not sinking in.

Grief is a weird thing, and something none of us know how to deal with. You just have to ride it, babe.

Cry, let it out, take a moment (many moments) to just sit and think about her. Hold her, and say your goodbyes.

Don't feel guilty for smiling, or even laughing (god knows I did for a while there), it's a natural thing to feel, but it's irrational. Colly would have wanted us to remember her gladly, but not dwell. I know we can't help it, so that's why we have to take time to allow ourselves to grieve, fully and properly.

We miss her, desperately, and it was so shockingly sudden, but our angel will always be here amongst us, take comfort in that.

Tatelou said:

Grief is a weird thing, and something none of us know how to deal with. You just have to ride it, babe.

Cry, let it out, take a moment (many moments) to just sit and think about her. Hold her, and say your goodbyes.

Don't feel guilty for smiling, or even laughing (god knows I did for a while there), it's a natural thing to feel, but it's irrational. Colly would have wanted us to remember her gladly, but not dwell. I know we can't help it, so that's why we have to take time to allow ourselves to grieve, fully and properly.

We miss her, desperately, and it was so shockingly sudden, but our angel will always be here amongst us, take comfort in that.

I took a day away from Lit yesterday, not everyone's solution, but it worked for me. I found myself dwelling on the posts, growing morose rather than celebrating having crossed paths with Colly. The view is clearer today, and I can hear her 'voice' whan I want to. :rose:

Tatelou said:

Exactly, sweets. :heart:

Tatelou said:

Thanks sis, I'm just a hard griever and this reminds me of another dear friend I've lost.
Laughing and smiling are no problem for me and I know she would kick my ass for feeling so down, but its still all so surreal.
I need to keep in mind something I said to Nirvana, that these special souls that come into our lives are never ours to keep but to cherish and treasure in our hearts. They touch our lives and make us better people if we let them.
It makes one ponder why we are here.
Is it evolution, replenishment of a species or something on an incomprehensible spritual level? :rose:

Back