City in the Center of the Universe (1x1Closed)

Galgerra

Experienced
Dawn was always unique for The Eye, as it always came on a technicality. It was only because the gears kept turning on the clocks of the town that anyone would know it was dawn at all. The sun could not penetrate the tumultuous rain of the Maelstrom that early in the morning, instead it cast an eerie red glow in the sky above. Would it be that it filled the entire visible sky, The Eye would've had yet another reason to call itself such. As it was, the light would fade to purple on the other side of the sky.
The strangeness of the visible sky was only one part of this multifaceted event. The bells of the city would ring in all quarters, alerting the population that a new day had begun, whether it wished to show itself or not. So people began to move underneath the clear sky. Candles were lit, torches set ablaze, and the various oil lamps that had gone out over the night seen to. This was how life started in The Eye.
Outside, in the Maelstrom, the dawn changed nothing but visibility. The rain still gushed from the clouds, a never-ending torrential downpour which left the earth as oddly scorched as fire would. The sun made the rain and clouds brighter in its direction, a distant faerie-light erupting in an eternal swamp.
The bells wake the birds and send them scattering over the city, some of them soaring into the sky. The birds were trapped with the people within the windless vacuum of the Maelstrom. Despite this, the birds still managed to make it around the city, evacuating their bowels everywhere and reminding the people that rain can come in all shapes and consistencies, despite it not having rained in The Eye since the Maelstrom began.
It is morning in the city.

“Rise 'n' shine dearest, the clothes won't mend themselves!”

“Mmm.” A bundle of curly hair ducked under the blankets.

“Now Anya.” Came a more stern voice, as eerie light from outside tempted to breech the curtains.

Candles around the room had been lit, casting their own dim glow against the darkness. Crawling out, Anastasia braced herself for the cool air. As she ran a hand through the tangles of her hair, her mother began helping her dress.

“Claudia needs her gown today, she was complaining about the thread size but beggars can't be choosers, especially since I took off a few cents for the trouble she was causin' me. And Edgar Jonasse needs hit trousers stitched again. You know how he is. There were two others who needed mending but they won't be in till about dinnertime.”

“Nadia and Joseph Wells mom.” Anya gasped through the tightening of the corset. “Is this device really necessary if we will be in all day? I have a ribcage.” Anya gasped as her mother tightened it a little more. “I think.”

“You have to be dressed dear. Can't go about naked, I simply won't allow it. Clara may let her daughters run about half naked in the yard but you will not. You see the types that wander around here when those girls are out. Disgusting.” Her mother grumbled, fastening the corset into place. A few minutes later and the gown was in place properly.

A knock at the door stopped her mother from attacking her mane of hair. Red curls in every direction were being combed back into a messy bun as Anya's mother ran for the door.

A dapper man in dapper clothing stood at the door checking his watch. From the look of it he came from the Noble's Quarter. He stood, erect and refined, without a show of impatience as he heard one of the residents within make their way to the door.

Stiffening as the door opened, the dressed man had only this to say;

"We are looking for a seamstress."

There was no one else but the man and the bag at his feet to indicate the plurality of his sentence.

“My daughter and I both are seamstresses. What is it you need sewn mister..?” Audrey, Anya's mother asked. “There is a fee of course, half now, half when the clothes are ready. When do you expect the items?”

Anya was listening from the other room, breathing as quietly as she could. Sometimes she wondered if she or her mother would be take away, or if someone was going to not be so kind. A more girlish side of her always wondered if it would be a gentleman on the other side of the threshold, asking to take her out, bringing her something sweet as a small token of affection. That was any girls dream right? She peeked around the corner, eyes the man almost shyly.

"Good, I am glad the information given to me was from a reliable source." The man shifted past the mother and into the room, such was the manner of nobility, and took the bag with him. He set his bag down and looked around, keeping from his gaze any look of disapproval. All things considered, he was actually less rude than the normal lot.

"I am afraid the matter requires yourself and your daughter to accompany myself to the Noble's Quarter. I have brought a bag for you to take any items essential to your trade. You will be lodged and paid handsomely. We already have a spinning wheel and few other..." the man spoke quickly, and an odd look of distress fled across his face as he struggled to find a word, "tools, of your trade."

He meant looms, fabrics, and the like, but he was never a tailor, much less a seamstress.

The man looked as though they would accept, immediately and without complaint. Such was the look of a man satisfied with his duty.

“Excuse me? You want to uproot us?” Audrey asked, questioning the man. She shut the door and shuffled in after him, looking skeptical. “Logged for how long?” It sounded almost too good to be true and she wanted to be sure. Offers like this didn't come often and sometimes they were scams.

Anastasia stepped around the corner, making her presence known.

“You mean you want us to work with the nobles in their district..” The light in her eyes could not go unnoticed.

“Mom this is our chance to break out, gain some ground.”

“Anya”

“Mom please, just do this. Be spontaneous.” Anastasia turned towards the man, “I accept. I'll go.”

“Anastasia! We barely know the terms of the arrangement, there is no guarantee of anything. No offense sir but there are a mass number of scams out there.”

“I'm going, even if you won't. I'll go pack my things.” She told the man, rushing back to her room. A series of banging and clattering ensued.

"Until you choose to leave, or we no longer require your services." He straightened, having slouched while answering the question, it took him off-guard.

"The second scenario is not likely, as many of our artisans are essential parts of the Noble's everyday lives. Such as you will be, the House Velli has need of seamstresses for the Ladies' clothing."

Velli, the previous ruling house back when there was a Kingdom and an Empire. Once the King had died the House was supposed to find an heir, but that heir was swallowed by the Maelstrom. Now only four bickering houses remain, surviving in their own little enclave in the northern part of the Eye.

They "serve the people" as a "stable" government in these trying times.

As Anya ran off to pack, the man, finally tired of the stiff and refined posture relaxed a little. As his posture relaxed, so did his accent.

"Honestly, ma'am, you're the third one we tried, everyone keeps believing me to be a con artist. The Ladies' absolutely refuse to leave their Quarters to at least address the seamstresses. As't'is, their clothes are becoming filthy. Why, the little Mistress Ciri keeps putting holes in her dresses. S'if they lose their seamstress and fall apart."

It's true, most Nobility is absolutely useless in regards of anything requiring actual work.

“Is this possibly a life long career?” Audery asked quietly. “We'd stay there as long as the Nobles stayed in power? Oh let me get you a drink, you must be parched.” She bustled into the adjoining kitchen.

“I must say the offer sounds almost to good to be true.” Audrey called form the kitchen. “You've been to three locations already? That sounds exhausting. Why don't you let us mend the garments here, surely we can finish an item or two today, bring it back all spic and span. Show them our talents.” She asked, bringing out two cups of tea, one for him, one for her. “Here you go dear.”

Anastasia walked from her room, one suitcase in one hand, and in the other was a sack, of clothing and other things. “When do we leave?” There was a life in her eyes her mother hadn't seen for a long time. Something that made the woman smile.

“Anya, I'm going with you. Who knows how those Nobles will treat you, and the men there. Oh I will have to keep you out of trouble won't I?”

The smile on Anya's face stretched from ear to ear, as she dropped her things and embraced her mother.

The man remained unaffected as the happiness ensued around him. He sipped the tea lightly, and the hot liquid threatened to scald his tongue. He leaned, having dropped all pretense of his nobility for the moment, to him it was most exhausting.

"We have seen examples of your work, you may have noticed several laced corsets and...bloomers...being brought to your store for repair by a rather unremarkable man. You would suit the ladies considerably. As for the matter of time, you have the rest of today to gather your essentials and the Ladies would prefer they receive you by noon, that you may get started. There are several events requiring dresses that are no longer fit for wear."

He took another sip.

"The rest of your belongings can either be retrieved by you personally or we can send for them."

Another sip. The liquid had cooled and the man quite enjoyed tea.

"I would suggest, though, that if you wish to take any longer, would you allow my retainers to enter your home? I understand the Prospectors have a penchant for the outdoors, but there's no reason to be rude."

“You have men outside waiting on us?! Why didn't you bring them in?” Audrey sounded offended as she all but pushed her daughter away, heading to the door. Reaching for the door, the woman paused, then she brushed off her apron and opened it up.

Anastasia looked to the man, noticing how he drooped. “That was all for the Noble ladies?” She remembered some of those tears and stains. How in the world they got there she never wanted to know.

“Noon? That's just over an hour from now. You've given us such little time.”

“Mom just go pack.”

Audrey huffed, turning and heading down to her room. She came out again not to much later, two suitcases and a purse in hand. “I guess the rest will be brought?”

“Lets go then, so we're not late.” Anya's enthusiasm was hard to miss. She was practically bouncing off the walls.

Beyond the door two men, previously unseen, stood looking out towards the street. Neither one of them turned when the door opened and they stayed like that as Audrey bustled about.

It was clear from their colours, the rare purple and common gold, they were of the Prospectors.

The man, in his dapper suit, set the empty tea down on a table and brushed his hands off on his coattails. His posture changed immediately once relieved of the tea.

The two women were ready to leave and the man whistled for the Prospectors, a short sharp note. They turned. One, the scrawny one with grey hair, had a smile on his face as wide as could be, the other, bald, shorter and more muscular, looked entirely distant from the situation at hand.

"'Ello 'ello," grinned the scrawny one, "S'I'm Pip, this here's Remy. I think we carry the bags eh?"

He stepped forward, his hand held out as offerings to Audrey. Remy followed suit to Anastasia.

It was clear from his accent and grey hair that Pip was one of the much-maligned Trinitans. Back when there was a Kingdom, and an Empire, the people of the islands of Trinite were regarded as entirely low-class. Brazen untrustworthy drunkards, Trinitans did the Rozen Empire no favours. Of course, such was the propaganda. And now, especially since there was no world known outside the Maelstrom and the Eye, little details such as race shouldn't matter.

But a dark vein of racism carried everywhere; it was only a year and a half gone by, after all.

Last edited:
“Oh good, you're here.” Audrey didn't take his hand to shake, but instead hustled away. Trinitans would always make her uneasy. She eyed them up and down. “These bags need to be packed, if you can handle it.”

Anastasia shook her head, rubbig the bridge of her nose. Didn't matter that they were stuck, or even being offered a life time job, nope, her mother would always hold a grudge.

Anya ran a hand through her tangled hair, “I'm Anastasia, that's my mother, Audrey.” She took Pip's hand since her mother so bluntly declined. “I supposed you're helping us then?” She gave him a kind smile, still a bit offended by her mother's rudeness.

“Anya, come on hun. They can get the bags, you and I must be going.” Audrey gave the two men a look as if they were below her.

“Yes ma'am.” Anya looked to Pip and Remy. “Thanks for getting these, sorry about rushing off.” She headed out behind her mother who was waiting outside the front door.

Pip's expression didn't change as the woman's voice went flat. He and Remy kindly shook the hand of the younger woman and both immediately set out to finish the packing.

The dapper man glided to the door and held it open for the two ladies before stepping out behind them, leaving the door open.

He set out down the street with a "this way please," over his shoulder.

It wasn't much longer before Pip and Remy came out from the house, shutting the door behind them. The men would be back before the day was out to pick up whatever odds and ends left behind in the hurry, they were sure of that.

The dapper man addressed his charges, "You will be meeting the Velli Ladies directly assuming we are not late. They will look over you. Please be prepared for the Noble Oddness, they do not often deal with commoners and are not prepared for your manners."

He was an interesting agent of doublespeak, his words could be taken either as insult or as compliment. They would not know the difference until they met the Ladies. Either way his words were a warning; The Noble Oddness was a term that excuses nobility from any such eccentricity. The term was not used lightly and it was a wonder as to which Lady he might have been referring to.

“Should we know anything in advance? Like.... hmm... Topics to avoid? To not anger them or upset them in anyway?” Anya asked, “Are there any behaviors we should know about before we get caught staring like a mule?”

Audrey now wondered if she should have changed before hand into something more.. noble looking. They might have been a bit poor in recent months but she had held on to a couple dresses that were gifts from her husband. Much nicer things to remind her of how things could have been. “Will we be working with all the ladies then? Or just a select few?”

Anastasia bit her lip, her hands unable to keep still as she held onto her bags. “What about the men?”

“Anya, you're too young, and too poor for their taste.” Audrey made a face at her daughter, shaking her head. “You're the help. You know that.”

“No mother, that isn't what I meant!” Anya felt her face grow hot. “I meant how to address them, who we will see. Greetings, things like that. If we will be mending their clothes as well.” She cast her face towards the ground, trying the will the color on her cheeks away.

The dapper man, quick-witted if not entirely bright, responded thusly; "They don't expect much from the peasantry, just mind your manners and be courteous around them and they'll have not a problem."

As far as men went, the man scratched his chin and thought a bit before revealing his opinion on them, "the men have their own tailor, but you may occasionally be called on for men's clothes as well. Especially if you earn the full trust of the Ladies. And, young one," he was speaking specifically to Anastasia, "there may be a few Lords and their charges after you, my advice is to stay away entirely. Do not even be kind about it, or rude. Be..." he thought over his words carefully before thrusting a finger into the air matter-of-factually, "vicious!"

With that he quieted, but Pip could not help but to speak on the subject, "'Bout right you don't get in good with their lot. They'll still kill your baby you know, if it's of half-noble blood. Barbaric I say, but they say it's to keep blood 'pure.' Horseshit if you ask me, horseshit indeed. Who were their ancestors if not peasants themselves."

The man chipped in, "Watch your tongue," but his tone implied he agreed.

“Even if they suspect it is theirs, they'd do that?” Anya's eyes were wide. She didn't understand the logic behind such cruel behavior. In her mind, if you didn't want to risk it, you didn't do it. She was naive in that way, assuming it was easy for anyone and everyone to control those types of urges. Especially since the storm landed around them. She assumed people would be extra careful.

“You'll stay far away from those men. I'll make sure of that. Only the women's quarters for you dear.” Audrey huffed, “If they even look at you wrongly... Hmpf! I'll not have my daughter messing around with some barbaric royal. You'd think they'd lead by example!”

“You can't tell them where I can and cannot go. Remember we both are just servants. I'm not a child. There is little say you have in what I'll be doing.” Anya crossed her arms. “I can defend myself anyway.”

Anastasia scratched her head, “Why would they keep the servant alive then? Will no one defend them?”

Audrey shook her head. “You're a servant dear, and from the rumors I've heard, a step above the farm animals.”

“Even if you could prove it to be cruel? Is the whole family in on it then?” It was too cruel to fathom. Allowing the maid to live but killing her baby? Anya looked to Pip, her brows knotted in concern.

“If you were in our place would you have accepted the offer?”

Last edited:
"Oh the girl usually dies with the baby, there's no qualm about that." Remy finally spoke, his voice was deep as mountains were tall. It fit his incredibly muscular physique.

But he was a man of few words, and Pip was just his opposite, "I'm a wandering man meself, but aye. I've worked with House Velli on many occasions and the Ladies always treat me right, odd accountin' for me being a Tri'itian and all."

He hefted one of the bags to his shoulders as kids brushed by, laughing and playing. In the distance, thunder roared across the ocean.

"Persons always are lookin' for a better life, nothing wrong with that." He gestured to the city around him with his free hand, "in times like these why you wouldn't want out of this little corner and into a different one?"

Pip sighed.

"Remy and I will tell you of our travels sometime, maybe you get tired of Nobles and want to see the world inside the clouds eh? Maybe your mother would prefer you be out where Nature is your adversary and not a bunch of horny nobles?"

Remy chuckled.

“And they don't care... They let them die because they just want sex, and they don't care?” Anastasia wrapped her arms around herself. Could she handle that? Telling a noble to keep his hands to himself while she tried to keep her dignity. “Do you ever intervene when they try to get someone?”

“That isn't that bad of an idea. The men would leave you alone dear.” Audrey reasoned. “It would keep you away from the nasty men anyway. I can't say I like the idea of you going out into those clouds, but it would be better than risking it in a selfish man's bed.”

“You never liked the idea of me going out before.” Ana stated, looking to the sky.

“I still don't.” Audrey pursed her lips, “But you've always talked about going out there. And from the sounds of how the nobles act, I don't know which would be worse. Though if I knew these boys better I'd trust them with you on those outings.”

Ana had a small smile on her face, feeling better. Her mother always knew that she'd end up out in the world, and not stuck in some stuffy house.

“Do we have time for one of your stories Pip?” Ana asked, walking in step with him. “Even a short one?”

Before Pip was able to speak, but not before he was able to open his mouth, the dapper man spoke.

"No time for stories," he rapped fiercely on a door embedded in the wall which surrounded the Noble's Quarter. The city was such a familiar sight no one had bothered noticing it, and a drab sight of disrepair, neglect, and dreary metropolis would've been all what awaited them if they had.

The city, once vibrant with greens, oranges, and the purple hues from some far-away-land's rarest products was turning dull and uneven shades of brown and ash.

The door swung open, "servant's entrance only!" shouted a man behind it, who then closed the door in the dapper man's face much to his chagrin.

The man scratched his head and mumbled something about having to do this every time.

He rapped once more, and followed it thus; "Seneschal of House Velli with seamstresses and Lug-a-longs."

The door swung open again. "Enter!" shouted the man behind the door.

“Another time then Pip.” Ana shrugged her shoulders.

Audrey took Ana's arm, the two of them falling in sync with each step they took. Audrey knew, well, she thought she knew that the royals demanded only the finest wears, but this place was like what they came from. It was disappointing. More than that. It was like being at home, just taller. Ana wasn't sure what to make of it. She expected the palace to be more than what it was. Grander, lighter, a form of paradise in this storm. She had a small glimmer for hope for the inside.

“When are we to meet our employers?” Audrey did not turn to face the dapper man, but Ana did.

With the door open, Ana tried to look around inside before they walked in. Her fears for now subsided, replaced by her fiddling with her hair and chewing on her lip.

What Ana saw behind the door was almost as unremarkable as the city itself; the inside of a guardhouse/storehouse. At least the man who had given the dapper man trouble proved more interesting than his surroundings. Dressed in rough cloths and finer leathers, the door guard had the unmistakable appearance of one of the Noble's Vanguard. The Royal Oranges and Reds of the Empire tinted his wear, and in his morion banded a large peacock feather, signifying his place amongst the semi-elite.

His insignia bore the mark of House Velli, a snake and lion in green and white.

While the door-guard's wear commanded respect, the dapper man took no pains in making sure this respect was known as he hissed to the other, "You know what I am, who I am, why must I announce it outside the door at any hour you are on guard? The others let me in with just a rap and a look through the eye hole, what is it with you?"

"Orders, Sir," the guard replied, unswayed and disinterested in the seneschal's rant, "I will inform the guard captain that the others have not been following them."

The dapper man struck an ugly eye at the door-guard who simply straightened in pose and looked to the guests, "Welcome to the servant's entrance for House Velli. Please set the bags here to be inspected and taken to your rooms when we are informed of your quarters."

Pip and Remy shuffled past the two women and set the bags in the storehouse proper. They looked at each other and then to the guard and the dapper man.

The dapper man spoke first, "Those two can return for the other bags..."

"Unnecessary," replied the guard, "the Prospectors of House Velli are to report to the Lords in short time. Ours will see to it their supplies arrive." Such was the efficiency of the House Velli Vanguard, with no wars to fight they provided a good bit of legwork around the city at the Lords' and Ladies' convenience.

Pip and Remy turned towards the door leading into the Velli Estate but was stopped by a loud clearing of the throat from the door-guard.

"Prospectors are not official servants of the House Velli and therefore cannot use the servant's entrance for entry onto the estate, please go around to the Commoner's Entrance to be admitted there."

Pip rolled his eyes, Remy groaned, the seneschal pointed at the guard, "These men have done more for House Velli than..."

"Sir, it is just orders."

"Blast your orders!" said the seneschal, giving up. Pip put his hand on the man's shoulder as he walked by and smiled at him, "Nice try mate."

Remy just shook his head and addressed the women, "We'll be out there for hours."

Pip shot Anya a knowing glance, "Welcome to House Velli ladies."

Remy and pip laughed as they went for the Commoner's Gate.

Ana and her mother remained quiet. They were not about to interrupt the two bickering men. Ana instead took in the surroundings, the clothes, the different tools that were within view.

“Even with all they've done, they still cannot come in this way?” Audrey gave a disapproving motherly face. “No exceptions to the rule then. Ana you remember that.”

Ana rolled her eyes, waving to Pip and Remy as they left.

“So this is the servant's entrance? I would have thought it would have been a bit... more to look at.” Audrey murmured to Ana, whose face dropped. She hoped the door-guard didn't catch the negative comment. “Grander, colorful, something beyond a mere expansion of outside.”

“It is only the servants quarters, why waste the expenses? I'm sure the rest of the place is nicer.” Ana tried, though her mother only huffed. She hoped there was more to look at on the inside.

“I expected better from our employers.”

“House Velli.” Ana tested the words. She was trying to shake the nerves, hoping the boys were just being sarcastic.

“When do we get to work then?” Ana asked, looking between the guard and seneschal. “Surely there is plenty to do?”

The seneschal was about to open his mouth to respond when outside the bells of the Grand Cathedral rang out a hearty bellow to an empty city. If they stood outside the echos would have deafened them as it bounced off the baking bricks in the midmorning sun. This was the 10 o'clock ring, punctuated by the low bells stricken 10 times after the ceremonials passed.

They had time for a tour.

"You have time for a tour," said the seneschal as he went to the inner door and opened it to what seemed to be blackness.

The light from the storehouse extended only so far into the corridor, enough to reveal that it was narrow and ended in a spiral staircase, barely seen past the last reaches of the light.

Foreboding, but only just.

Ana jumped at the first bell, having never heard it so loud before.

“A tour? Down the dark creepy tunnel?” She questioned the seneschal, hoping it was just a joke. His face said otherwise. “Is it always that dark in there or is there some sort of fixture we don't see?” Ana went to go step down, but Audrey grabbed her arm, pulling her back. The older woman was becoming less and less patient.

Audrey made sure that she went first and that Ana went after her. She didn't like the look of this place, and her views of working here was shifting.

“So, where does the creepy tunnel into darkness lead? The kitchens? Pantry? A number of rooms for housing?” Ana asked as she headed down after her mother.

Last edited:
Well, thought the seneschal, I feel like I'm about to start teaching again.

He said nothing, instead he alighted the stairs and disappeared around the corner, for the women to hear a door opening on the other side and light to fill the stairwell. This door opened to the servant's quarters, drab, but far less so than the storehouse and the hallway which succeeded it. Indeed, there was sparse decor, similar to a family's home. The only differences were the wall hangings, which were more luxurious in quality and in framing than what would be found in an everyday home.

These quarters were a hallway of 7 doors ending in a common room. What couldn't be seen from the stairwell was the other set of stairs leading upwards to the second story. The spiral staircase lead there too, but nobody used it.

The seven doors had seven plaques apiece, each with a name etched into it.

The seneschal stepped out of the doorway and off to the side, motioning and allowing the ladies to step before him and take in what was to be their new home.

Last edited:
Back