Changed Girl: The Stranger

Changed Girl, chapter 1 is up

Hi all,

Just a quick note to say that my freshly eviscerated, ahem, I mean revised and revamped intro chapter is up.

Little Girl Lost

Thanks to everyone for the helpful feedback on the story generally, and especially to MLyons who gave me extensive and most inspirational feedback on this first chapter.

I’m still working on “The Stranger,” now to be the second chapter, but I’ll keep you all apprised, since I just know you’re holding your breath. :)

-Varian

Hello!

Hi Varian!

I have to agree with comments above: I'm not really into things non-consent either, and it was a long chapter that just threw us into things. Screams prequel. :)

I'm not sure if this was on purpose or not, but on page three about 2/3 of the way down, the font suddenly becomes huge. Then it goes back to normal size on page four.

It's a little too long for me, but I might need to just come back to it at a later time. The visuals do work very well though, although I feel I understand Devan as a character better than Vaughn. He's rather mysterious and distant, although perhaps that's your point.

Thanks

Shy,

Thanks for your feedback.

Yeah, I'm not sure, ultimately, if the structure of the story is working for it or against it. I was going for a bit of mystery with this opening chapter; as the novel continues the character's stories unfold and we gradually learn the backstory--so in a sense the prequel comes later in the story.

It is Devan's story, a bit more than Vaughn's, but he gets much more fleshed out in the coming chapter--this was just a teasing intro.

Thanks, too, for pointing out the messed up font. I reported the problem yesterday, along with a couple other things--the other things were fixed, and if it hadn't been for your comment I might have assumed the font was fixed, too, so thanks!

-Varian

Thanks, everyone!

Changed Girl Ch. 02--The Stranger went up today, and it got rated "editor's pick." I doubt it would have been singled out, if not for improvements I made based on the insightful feedback I got from all of you.

So, thanks Shanglan, MLyons, Awaken41, Pure, Lying Eyes, Dr. Mabeuse, and Black Tulip!

Last edited:
Re: Thanks, everyone!

Varian P said:
Changed Girl Ch. 02--The Stranger went up today, and it got rated "editor's pick." I doubt it would have been singled out, if not for improvements I made based on the insightful feedback I got from all of you.

So, thanks Shanglan, MLyons, Pure, Lying Eyes, Dr. Mabeuse, and Black Tulip!

Wow, sweetie, that is great!

Congratulations.

:rose: :D

That's great, V.,

You prove that editing and revising are worthwhile, *carried out intensively* (i.e., more than one day).

90% of what I see at Lit., is more or less dashed off, no doubt in part from thinking that spontaneous creation is best.

Great! I'm glad that someone up their noticed your talent and gave you the well deserved "editors pick"

I'm all verklemt

I dragged this thread up from the bowels of the SDC in a fit of nostalgia, and because I wanted to thank everyone who's helped me with my writing, and with "Changed Girl" in particular, because it looks as though my little baby might be (deep breath) published.

I'm almost afraid to look back over these early drafts of the story--they got so much better thanks to the input I got from you kind SDC-ers.

So thank you, everyone who participated in the several threads on various chapters.

And special thanks to Shanglan, MLyons, Penny, Simon and Verdad. Your support and encouragement have given me confidence and a lot of joy.

Gratefully,
Varian

Varian P said:
I dragged this thread up from the bowels of the SDC in a fit of nostalgia, and because I wanted to thank everyone who's helped me with my writing, and with "Changed Girl" in particular, because it looks as though my little baby might be (deep breath) published.

I'm almost afraid to look back over these early drafts of the story--they got so much better thanks to the input I got from you kind SDC-ers.

So thank you, everyone who participated in the several threads on various chapters.

And special thanks to Shanglan, MLyons, Penny, Simon and Verdad. Your support and encouragement have given me confidence and a lot of joy.

Gratefully,
Varian

Congratulations are in order then... :rose:

Wonderful news. I stumbled across Changed Girl on my own when I first found this site.
It remains my favourite tale.
Congratulations!

Varian P said:
Coolest beans! :nana: Congratulations.

Congratulations

Its a story well worth it.
Intense. Gripping. A mind-fuck of the Best Caliber.
Did I forget... Oh yes... Amazingly EROTIC.

Thanks, all, for the congratulations, the compliments, and the warm wishes!

Now, if anyone has any hot tips on navigating the publishing contract process, feel free to share. :)

Varian P said:
Thanks, all, for the congratulations, the compliments, and the warm wishes!

Now, if anyone has any hot tips on navigating the publishing contract process, feel free to share. :)

Not a clue... :D

My best advice? Get a REALLY good lawyer familiar with copyrights and publishing law.
Also make sure to build in escalation clauses (locally published to globally published to perhaps film or illustrated novels...) these are escalations that if you accept a lump sum, you won't get the money for....
Also if you manage to make the New York Times Bestseller list, or Oprahs book club etc., you need to have a contract that allows for an increase in royalites per week on the lists... There are a few reallllllly good sites out there on the ins and outs of publishing contracts.
ANd if you haven't done so already... find an AGENT - not an editor...
Again its imperative for a budding publishing author...

Again Congratulations!!! You deserve it!

Back