Aurora

💕

Will you have pictures of the lights for us less fortunate?

My phone sucks for Aurora pics.

Wait, you live in arguably one of the most stunningly beautiful places in your country and you don't own a goddamn camera beyond your cell phone?!? 😧

Wait, you live in arguably one of the most stunningly beautiful places in your country and you don't own a goddamn camera beyond your cell phone?!? 😧

I have a very nice ONDU pinhole camera. I have a nice 35mm film camera. I have a ratty Olympus digital that still has Grand Canyon sand in it. I might be a pretty place, but i don't need to record all the pretty stuff. That's just the way things are supposed to be.

I have a very nice ONDU pinhole camera. I have a nice 35mm film camera. I have a ratty Olympus digital that still has Grand Canyon sand in it. I might be a pretty place, but i don't need to record all the pretty stuff. That's just the way things are supposed to be.

So what you're saying....is I gotta go see for myself?

😑

A bunch of clouds and a bright moon, this morning.......no lights visible from my house when I left at 6:15a.

Various pasty stuff:

In 1621, a French scientist, Pierre Gassendi, saw the lights in the north and named them after the Roman goddess of dawn, Aurora. He added the word 'borealis' for the Roman god of the north wind, Boreas. The lights became known to scientists as the aurora borealis.

The Eskimos of the lower Yukon River in Alaska described auroras as the dancing souls of their favorite animals: deer, seal, salmon, and beluga whales.

The aurora has been a helping hand to cure disease and was called upon by the most powerful of the Inuit Shamans as a spirit. Inuit healers made "spirit journeys" into the lights to obtain advice and rescue souls from death.

The Japanese believe the lights are connected to the life-giving mysteries of conception. Japanese honeymooners visiting northern Canada relate the legend, "A child conceived in the spell of the lights will be fortunate in life."

Just to add lesser known flavor, we (Baltic 'pagans') see them as our fallen warriors continuing their eternal fight in the heavens. Given they are formed by Earth magnetosphere struggling against cosmic winds, it sorta makes sense.

If it's dark out tonight, you folks in the northern tier of contiguous states might be seeing some cool aurora.

Back