Aurora

I bet sitting out watching the sky is mesmerizing

When I was at college in Fairbanks, living in the dorm, I'd take evening walks from my dorm to the Geophysical Institute just to watch the lights. There were few streetlights and the sky was alive with the lights. Sometimes I'd night ski on the trails with only the aurora to light the way.

Last edited:
When I was at college in Fairbanks, living in the dorm, I'd take evening walks from my dorm to the Geophysical Institute just to watch the lights. There were few streetlights and the sky was alive with the the lights. Sometimes I'd night ski on the trails with only the aurora to light the way.

Temptations abound

When I was at college in Fairbanks, living in the dorm, I'd take evening walks from my dorm to the Geophysical Institute just to watch the lights. There were few streetlights and the sky was alive with the the lights. Sometimes I'd night ski on the trails with only the aurora to light the way.

This sounds marvelous. :heart:

To me a Northern lights bucket list would be difficult to plan. High activity isn’t given a whole lot of notice and then you just hope it’s clear enough to see. Every time I woke up last night I pushed my curtain aside and didn’t see anything despite the clear night.

When I lived 15 mins south of here on a lake, I’d take a lounge chair and a sleeping bag and lay out on the dock and had the total sky to mesmerize me.

To me a Northern lights bucket list would be difficult to plan. High activity isn’t given a whole lot of notice and then you just hope it’s clear enough to see. Every time I woke up last night I pushed my curtain aside and didn’t see anything despite the clear night.

When I lived 15 mins south of here on a lake, I’d take a lounge chair and a sleeping bag and lay out on the dock and had the total sky to mesmerize me.

Chena Hot Springs in winter is a great place to see them.

Alaska_5.png

The forecast is looking good through Saturday!

One of my most favorite things in the entire world. I have witnessed this beautiful site from Northern Wisconsin, never quite as brilliantly as this, and also from Canada a few times. It was much brighter up there. It takes my breath away...

Cameras distort reality a bit. Note that it's a time exposure, so the colors saturate.

Cameras distort reality a bit. Note that it's a time exposure, so the colors saturate.

I actually think that the real thing is more beautiful than anything captured by camera. Images cannot convey the movement, it's like a dance.

I...

😕

Ohhhhh. Thoooor. 😏

Indeed.

I actually think that the real thing is more beautiful than anything captured by camera. Images cannot convey the movement, it's like a dance.

Once, when traveling to Fairbanks, at about -35°F or so, we had to stop the car and get out and watch the lights dance from horizon to horizon. I swear you could hear them crackle.

Back