AOC calls on Justice Thomas to resign

Got it. You, Comshaw, and AOC have no legal grounds or precedent to support your internet rants. You just want Thomas to recuse himself from some hypothetical case for which you can’t even guess the charges or defendants. Too funny.
Recusal isn't a legal matter. It's an ethical one.

The prescedent of ethical recusals is all over the place and typically involves political pressure.

You failing to acknowledge the ethical case here isn't our fault.

Has anyone even seen old boy since he got sicked up?

I'm old enough to remember when Biden "hiding in his basement" was the Right's news lean into for at least 3/4ths of a year.

guess they don't care about their token homeboy. sadz. 😢

Recusal isn't a legal matter. It's an ethical one.

The prescedent of ethical recusals is all over the place and typically involves political pressure.

You failing to acknowledge the ethical case here isn't our fault.
Your failure to present an ethical case here is our fault either. You’re calling on Thomas to recuse himself from a non-existent case. You haven’t even suggested a hypothetical charge or defendant. AOC planted a talking point in your ear and you guys bit.

Your failure to present an ethical case here is our fault either. You’re calling on Thomas to recuse himself from a non-existent case. You haven’t even suggested a hypothetical charge or defendant. AOC planted a talking point in your ear and you guys bit.
The ethical case is his wife's belief in the things which led to people who attacked the Capitol and his involvement. I don't need to present the one which was presented before I even jumped in

You are arguing that the stated political opinion of a justice’s spouse is a reason for recusal. You also seem to be arguing that because because Gini Thomas had crazy ideas about Dominion voting machines and the laws about election certification, that Justice Thomas should recuse himself from cases involving the Capital riot. She had NOTHING to do with the knuckle heads who rioted. That is why you and AOC are not being taken seriously.
So it's not reasonable to assume that a spouse has some influence on their other half? Especially since Justice Thomas has been described (by both political sides) as devoted and accommodating to his? If the tables were reversed, (back to my hypothetical which you still have not addressed) if it were a liberal justice with a spouse who was verbalizing such wild unsubstantiated things for the liberal side, would you defend them in the same manner or call for their recusal? I'm still waiting for you to answer that question. As for not being taken seriously, I've said time and again, it matters not who the justice is, if they appear to be bias, appear to be influenced, they should not be sitting on a case. for the second time, that last sentence is because you have no real answer for my questions, an attempt at insulting me in the hopes I'll get angry and come down to your level. Sorry, but that ain't gunna happen.

Comshaw

So it's not reasonable to assume that a spouse has some influence on their other half? Especially since Justice Thomas has been described (by both political sides) as devoted and accommodating to his? If the tables were reversed, (back to my hypothetical which you still have not addressed) if it were a liberal justice with a spouse who was verbalizing such wild unsubstantiated things for the liberal side, would you defend them in the same manner or call for their recusal? I'm still waiting for you to answer that question. As for not being taken seriously, I've said time and again, it matters not who the justice is, if they appear to be bias, appear to be influenced, they should not be sitting on a case. for the second time, that last sentence is because you have no real answer for my questions, an attempt at insulting me in the hopes I'll get angry and come down to your level. Sorry, but that ain't gunna happen.

Comshaw
Political opinions of a justice’s spouse are not grounds for recusal. Presumably all of the sitting justices who are married are in deeply devoted relationships with their soulmates. It’s also reasonable to assume that their spouses have some strong political opinions. So do justices. That does not disqualify them from judging cases based on their interpretation of the law.

For example, we know that RGB’s husband had strong views regarding mergers and acquisitions. He was a lawyer who litigated and wrote extensively of the subject and sure discussed it with his wife. Nobody expected RGB to recuse herself from cases in the M&A area. RGB herself publicly expressed her personal opinions on abortion rights, but it would have been silly to expect her to recuse herself from abortion cases.

You are trying to argue about the ethics of an undefined hypothetical situation. I’m sure Gini Thomas has lots of political opinions on matters that relate to courses that have come before the court. Guns, taxes, abortion, government regulations, etc. The same is true for spouses of other justices. The fact remains there is no case coming before the court that involves Gini Thomas in any way, shape or form.

Political opinions of a justice’s spouse are not grounds for recusal. Presumably all of the sitting justices who are married are in deeply devoted relationships with their soulmates. It’s also reasonable to assume that their spouses have some strong political opinions. So do justices. That does not disqualify them from judging cases based on their interpretation of the law.

For example, we know that RGB’s husband had strong views regarding mergers and acquisitions. He was a lawyer who litigated and wrote extensively of the subject and sure discussed it with his wife. Nobody expected RGB to recuse herself from cases in the M&A area. RGB herself publicly expressed her personal opinions on abortion rights, but it would have been silly to expect her to recuse herself from abortion cases.

You are trying to argue about the ethics of an undefined hypothetical situation. I’m sure Gini Thomas has lots of political opinions on matters that relate to courses that have come before the court. Guns, taxes, abortion, government regulations, etc. The same is true for spouses of other justices. The fact remains there is no case coming before the court that involves Gini Thomas in any way, shape or form.
Recusal is completely the choice of the justice who recuses themselves. So the "grounds" you mention don't actually exist beyond the public perception and pressure applied.

Recusal is completely the choice of the justice who recuses themselves. So the "grounds" you mention don't actually exist beyond the public perception and pressure applied.
Right. Recusal is the choice of the justice. It is rare, and justices don‘t do it randomly for no reason. Sandra Day O’Conner routinely recused herself from telco cases. Breyer recused himself from some insurance cases. Both did so because of potential perceived financial conflicts of interest. Thomas once recused himself from a case involving Virginia Military Institute because he had a family member connected to the school. His son was a student there.

AOC called for Thomas to not just recuse himself from some undefined hypothetical case with no identified defendant and no identified charges. She called on him to resign. I’m not sure if you and Comshaw are calling for his resignation or if you’re just calling on him to recuse himself from a case. If it’s the latter, you ought to be able to at least state who the defendants might be, what the charges would be, and how Ms. Thomas is remotely connected. You’ve failed to do that.

Right. Recusal is the choice of the justice. It is rare, and justices don‘t do it randomly for no reason. Sandra Day O’Conner routinely recused herself from telco cases. Breyer recused himself from some insurance cases. Both did so because of potential perceived financial conflicts of interest. Thomas once recused himself from a case involving Virginia Military Institute because he had a family member connected to the school. His son was a student there.

AOC called for Thomas to not just recuse himself from some undefined hypothetical case with no identified defendant and no identified charges. She called on him to resign. I’m not sure if you and Comshaw are calling for his resignation or if you’re just calling on him to recuse himself from a case. If it’s the latter, you ought to be able to at least state who the defendants might be, what the charges would be, and how Ms. Thomas is remotely connected. You’ve failed to do that.
Thanks for acknowledging that there is no such things as "grounds for recusal" and that prescedent and political pressure are the factors

Thanks for acknowledging that there is no such things as "grounds for recusal" and that prescedent and political pressure are the factors
Thanks for acknowledging that you have no idea what you want Thomas to recuse himself from. You seem to think he should bow to “political pressure” to recuse himself from something, but you can’t figure out exactly what it is.

If you think justices should recuse themselves from cases that involve political pressure, you’re going to be very disappointed when the Dobbs ruling comes down. Thomas is married to a woman. Probably a pro-life one at that. 😂

Thanks for acknowledging that you have no idea what you want Thomas to recuse himself from. You seem to think he should bow to “political pressure” to recuse himself from something, but you can’t figure out exactly what it is.

If you think justices should recuse themselves from cases that involve political pressure, you’re going to be very disappointed when the Dobbs ruling comes down. Thomas is married to a woman. Probably a pro-life one at that. 😂
I gave my perspective earlier. You're the one obfuscating what recusal is about

Thomas has good reason to recuse himself based on the political pressure and current state of the court

Thomas has good reason to recuse himself based on the political pressure and current state of the court
No he doesn't. The fucked up mentality of the left in regard to his wife has nothing to do with his ability to decide a constitutional issue before the court. Maybe he'll consider it when Joe Biden excuses himself from the presidency because of his son, or when Nancy Pelosi resigns because of her husband getting rich on her official decisions as Speaker of the House.

No he doesn't. The fucked up mentality of the left in regard to his wife has nothing to do with his ability to decide a constitutional issue before the court. Maybe he'll consider it when Joe Biden excuses himself from the presidency because of his son, or when Nancy Pelosi resigns because of her husband getting rich on her official decisions as Speaker of the House.
It's called having a different opinion. You can disagree.

My point was that it's not a set of rules that says he should or should not

Nonsense. The court is independent.

Has anyone even seen old boy since he got sicked up?

I'm old enough to remember when Biden "hiding in his basement" was the Right's news lean into for at least 3/4ths of a year.

guess they don't care about their token homeboy. sadz. 😢
so what's going on with him? was he sicker than suggested and taking longer to recover? laying low till people 'forget' about his wife's antics? been advised to stay in the shadows because of stuff that will come out about his wife and jan 6th, when a short note about him 'retiring' will be issued? is he back at work but there's been no mention in the news cycles?
aliens???

It really has nothing to do with Gini Thomas. There is no case coming before the court that has anything to do with her.

In much the same way their hysteria over the batty allegations made by Christine Blasy-Ford and Michael Avenatti had nothing to do with Bret Kavanaugh, they are freaking out about Roe v Wade. They’re throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. “The court is broken”….term limits, expansion, de-legitimizing justices they don’t like, etc. None of it is working for them.

As the Dobbs decision gets closer, we can expect the shrieking to get louder. If Roe is struck down, we’ll see a left wing meltdown of epic proportions.

It really has nothing to do with Gini Thomas. There is no case coming before the court that has anything to do with her.

In much the same way their hysteria over the batty allegations made by Christine Blasy-Ford and Michael Avenatti had nothing to do with Bret Kavanaugh, they are freaking out about Roe v Wade. They’re throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. “The court is broken”….term limits, expansion, de-legitimizing justices they don’t like, etc. None of it is working for them.

As the Dobbs decision gets closer, we can expect the shrieking to get louder. If Roe is struck down, we’ll see a left wing meltdown of epic proportions.
She was part of the group that put on the event that led to the attack on the Capitol.

She was part of the group that put on the event that led to the attack on the Capitol.
More nonsense. She had nothing to do with the riot, has not been charged with any crime, is not facing a trial, and has nothing to do with anything coming before the court. Justice Thomas is not going to resign and there are no cases you can identify coming before him that would be a reason to recuse himself. Some big SCOTUS decisions are coming down over the next 60 days. Enjoy!

More nonsense. She had nothing to do with the riot, has not been charged with any crime, is not facing a trial, and has nothing to do with anything coming before the court. Justice Thomas is not going to resign and there are no cases you can identify coming before him that would be a reason to recuse himself. Some big SCOTUS decisions are coming down over the next 60 days. Enjoy!
She was part of the group that put the event on. That event is literally being used by many on the defense.

This isn't rocket science to see the connection of the cases and his wife.

I've never said he should resign.

She was part of the group that put the event on. That event is literally being used by many on the defense.

This isn't rocket science to see the connection of the cases and his wife.

I've never said he should resign.
She attended a rally. Was not at the riot and was not part of any group that organized the riot. You know this.

And again, you try to skip right past without ever addressing my question.
I realize there is no case coming before the court that involves Gini Thomas. I never claimed there was. And the hypothetical situation I outlined is well-defined, you just refuse to address it. Additionally, I think all spouses of Supreme courts Justices have opinions on a myriad of things. That said I challenge you to show me one other instance of a Supreme Court Justice's spouse expounding such unsubstantiated, extremest views that could bring harm to the country. Go on, you seem to think what she said was no big deal and that other spouses of justices have opinions like that, so show me....IF YOU CAN.

The hypothetical I presented requires a yes or no, but you are incapable of committing to an answer. I realize now you won't, because if you do you, will expose your extreme bias. You're going to keep talking in circles, ignoring what I asked by substituting something else.
So man up and answer the question I posed, or show me some proof that other spouses have voiced opinions of the same sort that JT did.

Comshaw

Back