A Taste of the Forbidden (Closed for Homerun2611)

princesssexci

Eternal Brat
A Taste of the Forbidden
Written by PrincessSexci & Homerun2611

Writers Notes: Hello! This tale is an interracial romance that takes place in the 1960’s during times of strong racism. If this is going to be upsetting to you please take heed before reading. Homerun and I have had a discussion and no racial slurs will be used in this roleplay. Aside from that, please enjoy!
March 5th 1966

IMG_2293.jpeg

Sometimes, Crystal hated living in Tennessee. The looks of disgust she received as she walked down the campus sidewalk with her best friend Kendra to their first class of the semester were frustrating. While it was a little more progressive than a lot of other southern state; being an African American in the 1960’s was hard, regardless.

Plus, racism was still very much alive. Even with all the protests from Martin Luther King Jr. there was still alot of change that needed to happen. There was also the group Black Panthers that believed in fighting the system a more violent way. Honestly, she just wanted everyone to not hate each other. Was that too much to ask?

Crystal was also the daughter of preacher. Being raised in a religious household meant that she was taught to treat others how she wanted to be treated. Racism was an ugly part of Hell that Satan had brought to this world and the white man just kept it going.

Well, thats what her parents told her or her papa.

She didn’t believe that though. Well, she did but she didn’t. Crystal chose not to judge every caucasian man based on the color of his skin just as she would want them not to judge her.

That was why she sat in this theatre class.

Intro to performance 101. Most of the students were white and there were a small handful of black students. The college was just starting to integrate but everyone sat on their own side due to their own choosing.
So the other two black college students one of whom was her best friend Kendra and some guy sat on one side while the rest of the class sat on the other. He was quiet and kept to himself.

“I hear they’re doin Jesus Christ Super Star for one of the performances. You’re a shooin for Mary Magedelene, Amber.” one of the girls on the other side said.

Amber was the theatre professor’s daughter and she also lived next door to her. Crystal’s parents hated Amber, said she was a bad influence to any self respecting woman. For instance, her red hair cascaded down her shoulders and she was wearing a low cut rockabilly dress to just above her knees.

While if Crystal had walked out of her house looking like that she would never see her next birthday. No, she wore a dress but it was more humble than that and went to just below my knees. None of her cleavage was showing though the dress and it wasn’t so loose that no one could tell she had curves, but it wasn’t so tight where her body was accentuated either. Not like Amber whose dress accentuated her form.

“Well, guess we won’t be getting leads in that show. “Kendra muttered,”Though you’d probably do well. You sing like an angel.”

Crystal laughed and rolled her eyes. “Only for the church. Maybe I could do sets or something. “ Crystal’s dad hated when she worked with her hands. ‘It wasn’t lady like. Only men do that kind of work.’ is what he’d say but it was some way for her to be involved in theatre.

“No thank you. If i wanted to do chores I’d go home to live with my mom.” Kendra laughed.

Crystal was momentarily distracted as the professor walked in. He was absolutely gorgeous. When he looked her way, she quickly glanced down at her notebook so that she wasn’t staring.

Amber

IMG_2295.jpeg

“I can’t believe your dad is teaching this class.” Emily whispered to which Amber rolled her eyes. The only reason the beautiful red head was taking this class was a) with her dad teaching it, so she would get an easy a. and b)She wanted to become a movie star. Intro to performance was the first class she needed.

Though she had considered just sleeping my way to the top. It wasn’t like she was a virgin.

Her mom had been dead for awhile and to say she toom advantage of her dads hippy loving ways was probably an understatement.

“Hey Amber, we’re going to go out for shakes and burgers after class, you gonna join us?” Anderson asked with his brown hair perfectly styled to look like Paul Newman.

“I’ll think about it.” Amber said coyly as she bit the tip of her pencil teasingly. It was easy to tell when a teacher stepped in the classroom because everyone seemed to straighten up and quiet down.

That was what happened when Amber’s dad walked in, students especially the black ones seemed to straighten up and a few more filtered in and looked at their side as if thats where they wanted to sit and then thought against it.

Last edited:
Jason Moore sat at the desk in his office. He had a class that started in ten minutes. A class, what a joke that he was a professor! Sure he had graduated from USC, but drama school wasn’t like going to college, particularly when you were also a football player. Oh, he loved his acting classes, he loved Shakespearean theatre, musical theatre, but when you looked like Jason, those were never an option. Men that looked like him were adventure guys, tough guys, he had even served as the ideal model for a series of romance novels.

93AE2694-FC7A-437C-AC51-86F255C0A3AA.jpeg

Ironic wasn’t it, romance, when his own life was a fucking tragedy. Not always, but as of a year ago. Her picture was still on his desk, Julienne. God she was beautiful, the love of his life. Everyone assumed him a playboy, and it was the 60’s so they both enjoyed some nights, but they had been happy, he was pretty sure, she was a country singer. It was why he was in Memphis and not LA.

940F7310-B69F-46FF-8472-D08F132A7EAE.jpeg

He would never forget the call. He had skipped the concert, he was supposed to be on a plane to LA in the morning, a photoshoot for Harlequin, it had woken him up. She and her band were partying after a show, LSD was powerful shit. She had OD’d and when he got to the hospital he knew, she was gone. Alive, but her mind was fried, finished, all that remained was the beauty, but the mirth, the life, was forever gone from her eyes. It was why he looked at the picture, for the life was back, if only in Kodachrome.

He gathered his long hair into a pony tail. “Jesus Dad, what do you think you are, a rock star?” He didn’t, but he had found the music of the Grateful Dead to be comforting, that and the marijuana liberally passed around at their concerts. he had sworn off the hard stuff, he didn’t want to leave Amber an orphan, even though given their relationship, she might not have minded.

She held her father responsible for her mother’s death. Why couldn’t he have been with her stopped her? She wasn’t the only one, he asked himself that same question every day. Now his daughter was running wild, curfews meant nothing, and she was in college. But it seemed to be later every night, she’d stumble in, half dressed, as if she was doing her best to end things just like her mother.

Fuck it, he needed to teach the class, he enjoyed teaching, most of the kids took it as a blow off. But not all, a few he could tell really had a passion, and that was who he did this for. He walked to the front of the small ampitheater, and looked out. The small group of black students on one side, the rest on the other. This needed to change.

”The arts are not about race, about hatred, it is about expressing yourself…”. He began the lecture, with words he knew were dangerous words in the South, even Memphis. “So today we are going to start by implementing a seating chart. We have been in this class nearly a month, and I don’t think you all even know each other.”

He moved everyone around, putting both Amber and Crystal right up front, seated next to each other. “Now, 2x2, I want you to pair off, tell each other who you are, what is your favorite movie, and if you had to sing a song, what would it be? You will be introducing each other to the class in 15 minutes, get going… “. He looked down at the two girls, they were actually neighbors, but he was pretty sure they barely talked. She didn’t know it, but Jason liked Crystal, frankly he wished his daughter would earn a thing or three from her….

”The arts are not about race, about hatred, it is about expressing yourself…”

“Wow…” Crystal murmured softly. She hadn’t seen any of the teachers actively enforce desegregating before. Kendra rolled her eyes.

“We will see how long he’s spouting that tune when one of the white kids complain that they were forced to talk to us.” She said.

Would they really do that? It wasn’t that serious and this was just a class.

“She ain’t wrong. “ One of the black guys said. “Name’s Terrance by the way.”

Crystal started to answer but felt her arm being grabbed by the professor and led to the front. She looked back at Kendra with a worried look, her best friend shrugged her shoulders.

She looked at Amber who looked annoyed that she had also been pulled away from her friends.

“Now, 2x2, I want you to pair off, tell each other who you are, what is your favorite movie, and if you had to sing a song, what would it be? You will be introducing each other to the class in 15 minutes, get going… “

Crystal looked back at Amber who sat there quietly.

“Hi. My name is Crystal and my favorite movie is My Fair Lady.” Crystal introduced herself. Amber didn’t say anything just doodled hearts in her notebook. “A song that I would love to sing is At Last by Etta James.”

Again, no response.

“I think this is where you’re supposed to introduce yourself.” Crystal prodded. She looked around and it seemed like alot of the white students were opting to not speak.

Kendra raised her hand,”So what do we do if our partners don’t talk? That don’t mean we’ll flunk out because of them, right?”

“You’re really going to act this way in your daddys class? My pa would kill me if I embarrassed him like that.” Crystal whispered low enough so that only Amber heard.

“Fine.” Amber rolled her eyes as she stopped doodling and finally acknowledged Crystal. “My name is Amber, any movie with Elvis Presley is my favorite movie and Somewhere Over the Rainbow is a song I’d like to sing. Now leave me alone.”

“Gladly.” Crystal muttered pulling out her notebook. Idly she went back to working on her poetry until either Professor Moore gave them something else to do or until class was over.

Last edited:
They thought he wasn’t paying attention, his pen on paper, small notebooks where he kept his thoughts, outlined his lessons, written a million concepts for stories he would love to see brought to life, ideas that never saw the light of day. It was bold he knew, there was little doubt that he would be called into the Provost’s office soon, asked if he had had really said, really done what he had.

Yet, the reaction would not be quite as Crystal’s friend suggested. While not thrilled, he had been clear in accepting the position. The University understood that this was a time of tumult, hatred in the streets of Selma, the assasination of Malcolm X by his own, it was hard to know exactly who was on what side? Yet all that he had discussed was in an era of hatred, the arts, could be a beacon, a light, to show there could be a place where the color of one’s skin was less important than the talent that went through their veins.

He saw Kendra’s hand go up, she was a beauty too, a bit darker than Crystal, but Jason was a fan of all flavors and colors, from the white ginger of his departed wife and daughter, to the deep ebony of Kendra, to the smooth, silky mocha of Crystal, Jason drew no distinction, enjoying every flavor and offering of the female buffet.

”I am watching, I will know who has helped, and I will let those whose partner’s have let them down introduce themselves, and yes, the other will fail. You can only get two F’s on these types of assignments or your third will mean failing the course.” He wished he didn’t need to put such a silly rule in, but if they were to act like children they would be treated as such.

He was not here to propagate attitudes he found despicable, but even now, as he watched it play out in front of him, how painful was it to see such trite and simplistic lay biased behaviors perpetrated by that which was rendered by his own flesh. “You’ve all had plenty of time, please introduce your partners, let me understand you better by understanding that which inspires you?”

One by one, starting at the top row and working down, his warning had at least nominally worked as all were prepared, although most were pretty basic. Nearly 50% chose an Elvis song, however, he was surprised by the number of Beatles, the new marvel from Liverpool England that were mentioned. When Crystal mentioned Amber’s choice it hit Jason hard. He sensed his daughter was still feeling pain, it was there in her attitudes, even how she had just treated Crystal. It didn’t justify it, but it did explain, and he knew how much she really wished she could find somewhere over the rainbow, but that was not an option.

But it was Crystal’s song, although Amber messed it up, ”At Last, by Betty James”, as there were snickers from at least the black students. Jason corrected her, “It’s Etta James honey …”. He saw no reason to hide the fact Amber was his daughter. “What a fine choice, she is an American treasure, a woman as full of soul and sensuality as she has incredible talent. For those of you who don’t know her, go have a listen …“. And his next words were intentionally provocative, he needed to get this class moving. “And for those interested in that sort of thing, to slowly fuck to an Etta James song, particularly that one, is too enjoy both heaven and the best of sin in a single moment!”

He was looking into Crystal’s eyes as he said it, but he heard the cat calls from the students, as finally this class had somethng for them, all except Amber, whose face flushed, as she looked at him with daggers!

”I am watching, I will know who has helped, and I will let those whose partner’s have let them down introduce themselves, and yes, the other will fail. You can only get two F’s on these types of assignments or your third will mean failing the course.Professor Moore had commented to Kendra when she’d asked the question about other students not participating.

Crystal looked up from her journal at the other students, some of the white students eventually started asking and answering questions while others refrained. Thankfully, her and Amber had already done their part.

“Isnt your daddy a Christian?” Amber eventually asked.

“Yes.” Crystal stopped writing as her focus was pulled away from her poetry writing.

“Shouldn’t your favorite song be a gospel hymn or something?” Amber asked snidely

Crystal wasn’t sure if Amber was being serious or sarcastic at the moment. She mildly shrugged her shoulders. Since starting college her music tastes had been opened up.

“You’ve all had plenty of time, please introduce your partners, let me understand you better by understanding that which inspires you?”

Kendra was first and of course her partner Henry hadn’t really given her much to introduce. “All I got was that his name is Henry and he thinks this project is stupid. My name is Kendra Franklin, though. I really like that new Batman movie. The one with Adam West. I thought it was really swell with him saving people from all the bad guys and stuff. Im not much of a singer but if I could sing, it would probably be Walk on By by Dione Warwick or Dazed and Confused by Led Zepplin.” she said the last artist more quietly.

That was understanable considering her parents were part of the Black Panther movement. They wouldve had her head if they knew she listened to that stuff. Finally it was Crystal and Ambers turn. Amber wanted to go first but Crystal had gone instead causing her to glare.

“This is Amber Moore. Her favorite movie is anything with Elvis Presley and a song she enjoys is Somewhere Over the Rainbow.” She saw the distant look in professor Moored face when she mentioned it though and glanced between the two not quite certain what it meant. It was a little funny that they were her neighbors and she didn’t really know them at all.

Amber was next.”My partners name is Carista.”

“Crystal.” Crystal corrected.

“I said that. Her favorite movie is Mah fair lady.” She said imitating Crystals deep southern accent. It gained her some chuckles from her friends. “And her favorite song that she’d love to sing is At Last by Bettie James.”

“It’s Etta James honey …” Professor Moore corrected

“Etta James…” Amber said emotionlessly. It was probably because she didn’t want to get an F and the fact that Professor Moore was her dad.

“What a fine choice, she is an American treasure, a woman as full of soul and sensuality as she has incredible talent. For those of you who don’t know her, go have a listen …“

Crystal fidgeted about with her notebook getting ready to introduce Amber as Professor Moore continued his praise of Etta James.

“And for those interested in that sort of thing, to slowly fuck to an Etta James song, particularly that one, is too enjoy both heaven and the best of sin in a single moment!”

It was at that moment Crystal glanced up from her notebook alarmed by that comment and flushed at the way Professor Moore stared at her. She squirmed some then cleared her throat and looked down as Amber glared. With Amber still glaring daggers at her dad ducked her head eventually and walked back to her seat. Crystal did the same.

Without being obvious, Jason had tried to hear the exchange between his daughter and Crystal. Amber hadn’t always been like this, or so he thought. Jason regretted having been away so much, the thought had always been that once both he and his wife got going they would be able to settle down a bit, coordinate schedules and raise their daughter, while balancing his life as an actor and hers in music. So much for the best laid of plans…

Now in hindsight he realized he had been selfish, and so now he was trying to make it up. He had left acting behind without much regret. While he had gotten roles, plenty of them, it had not been at all what he thought. No one had cared about his skill, his passion for the craft, he was beefcake, and once typecast, it was hard to break out of that stigma. It paid well, but left you hollow otherwise.

It was part of the reason for the look he had adopted here, a pony tail, and glasses with plain glass frames. He wanted to be taken seriously, teach and inspire, but this was a less than auspicious start. When Amber said “My Fair Lady” Jason joked, “Ah, so I should be knowing the street where you live?” Jason knew Crystal and her family were their neighbors and was teasing to that effect.

When he had come back, he had wanted to get Amber out of the condominium where her mother had died, actually get to an entirely different area. Having been spending most of his time in LA, which was so different from the South, he had specifically chosen a nice brownstone in an integrated neighborhood. He wanted his daughter to not get up in the racist attitudes which were pervasive in the upper class neighborhood they had previously occupied.

They had lived there less than two weeks and for the most part Jason had been spending all of his days on campus getting ready for the coming year. He had meant to make the rounds and introduce himself, but just hadn’t gotten to it yet.

He knew he had potentially embarrassed Crystal with his comment about Etta James, and so as class ended, “Miss Robinson … “ Jason said referring to Crystal by her proper name, “Can I speak with you a second before you leave?”
He waited for the other students to file out, watching as Amber turned at the doorway to see why he had called Crystal out, but he only nodded in her direction, they would talk later tonight at home. “Miss Robinson, do you mind if I call you Crystal?” He waited for an answer.

”I’m sorry if my comment embarrassed you, I didn’t mean to, but what I said was true…”. He gave her a playful wink, he was trying to be friendly. “I was impressed by your answer, do you like Jazz? I am a big fan of both Etta James and Lean Horne. I have some of Ms. James albums, I would be glad to lend them to you if you are interested?”

He waited, “I wanted to ask if you or any of the other col… “ He stopped, “Do you prefer colored or black or …?” This was awkward and while Jason himself did not think in terms of black and white, he was trying to extend an offer. “I was hoping that you and some of your friends might be interested in becoming part of the show we are going to do, either in the show or helping with the production. I was particularly hoping you might be interested, I sense you are interested in the theatre, or am I wrong?”

The real reason he had called her up was to apologize, but also invite she and her family over for a grill out on Saturday. He had seen her father, an imposing man, but he hadn’t met her mother, at least not yet.

Crystal blinked when Professor made the joke about knowing the street where she lives and fought back a tiny smile at the play on words. Unless anyone in the class had actually watched My Fair Lady they wouldn’t understand the reference plus they would need to know that she actually lived on his street.

Amber glanced between her dad and the colored girl, lifting a brow. She wasn’t sure but it almost seemed like he was…flirting with a student which was silly considering she was half his age and a student and well…there were other factors why her dad shouldn’t be flirting with Crystal.

Class ended pretty quickly though and students began gathering their things moving out the class quickly. Crystal quickly put her journal and notebook in her book bag.

“Miss Robinson … “ Jason said referring to Crystal by her proper name, “Can I speak with you a second before you leave?”

“Um sure Professor Moore.” Crystal said.

Kendra had already stopped by her desk to wait for her and lifted her brow. “I’ll wait for you at the library.” She glanced at Professor more with a small smile before hurrying off. Amber slowly walked out glancing behind her as well to look back at both Crystal and her dad.

Once the class had fully emptied she walked over to his desk. “You wanted to see me, sir?”

“Miss Robinson, do you mind if I call you Crystal?”

Crystal blinked in confusion but shook her head. Not alot of teacher called their students by their first names, it helped keep the distance …the social walls up, especially if the student was african american like herself.

“No, sir.” she said respectfully. Crystal grew up in a household where she was usually required to call anyone who was of higher standing than her by sir or maam so even if it hadn’t been required it was something that she did automatically. “You can call me whatever you want Professor Moore, you’re the teacher I’m just the student.”

In retrospect, she didn’t realize how if they hadn’t been in a school setting how different those words might’ve sounded with her pure mind.

”I’m sorry if my comment embarrassed you, I didn’t mean to, but what I said was true…”.

“You …like to …have sex to the sounds of Etta James ?” She said with a playful tone. Crystal may have been a virgin but she wasn’t a total idiot to the ways of the world. She just let her father believe that.

“I was impressed by your answer, do you like Jazz? I am a big fan of both Etta James and Lean Horne. I have some of Ms. James albums, I would be glad to lend them to you if you are interested?”

“It’s Lena Horne by the way, not Lean. I just don’t think thats a good idea though. Also um, can you not tell my papa about what I listen to, please? Im pretty sure if he knew I was listening to something other than worship music he’d have my hide.”

It had literally taken an act of God to convince her mom and dad to let her come to this college instead of going to a historically black college. If they knew she’d been listening to jazz she’d probably never see the light of day.

“I should probably go. I have to meet Kendra so we can go over our math homework…”

Crystal turned to walk away then stopped when she heard him continue only stiffening slightly when he started to call her colored. Of course he would, most caucasian men did why would he be any different?

“I wanted to ask if you or any of the other col… “

She frowned when he seemed to have an indecisive look on his face.

“Do you prefer colored or black or …?”

Well, that was new. No one had ever asked her that before so she never thought about it.

“I mean, do you prefer to be called white or caucasian or just a person?” she retorted. She hadn’t meant to come off as a smart ass but it was true. “Sorry, that was disrespectful.” She lowered her eyes and cleared her throat.

“I was hoping that you and some of your friends might be interested in becoming part of the show we are going to do, either in the show or helping with the production. I was particularly hoping you might be interested, I sense you are interested in the theatre, or am I wrong?”

“No.” Her brow furrowed when she thought about the play that would be done, Jesus Christ Superstar. In retrospect, her father would’ve been incredibly happy that it was about Jesus Christ himself it was the music stylings he wouldn’t be happy about. “I mean, yes…I mean, I’m not sure thats my type of genre to sing Professor Moore. I’m sure someone like Amber would fit the role better than I can. I can see if I have enough time before choir practice to help with sets though.”

Last edited:
Jason felt a bit at a loss with his daughter, he didn’t want to believe she was the pretentious, racist little, well, bitch, that she seemed to be. He felt responsible, he hadn’t been around early, and probably been too lenient, too, something when her mother passed. He had thought she needed nurturing and comforting, but he was increasingly realizing that had been the wrong approach. However, that did not give him insight as to the right one.

To watch Amber’s interaction with Crystal, was to watch what his daughter was, versus what he wished she could be. The young black girl was curious, insightful, interesting and Jason’s was increasingly aware deep, and perhaps even mysterious as to what talents and intellect lie beneath her beautiful young facade.

He did not see color, despite the awkward exchange they would soon have, he saw potential, talent and rare and intoxicating beauty. Was he flirting? He didn’t mean to, but he was not an experienced professor, he was an experienced man, and flirting, innocent and otherwise was as much of his innate personality as any other trait.

Jason was oblivious to the eyes, his daughters and Kendra’s, as they watched Crystal come up to him as he requested. They were fortunately out of earshot when they spoke.

“No, sir... You can call me whatever you want Professor Moore, you’re the teacher I’m just the student.”

”Well we are also neighbors, here I should be Mr. Moore, and you shall be Miss Robinson, but perhaps, when in our yards or on the street, you can be Crystal, and if you so choose, I can be Jason.” There was something about this girl he inherently liked. There was a spark in her eyes, she was wickedly smart and insightful, but there was supposed to be this barrier between them, a barrier he understood, even if he didn’t like it.

”By the way, and let me be clear, none of my students, are just students. You are all these amazing collections of talents and potential, even the ones that don’t want to be here, even those that thinK this class is a blow off, it is my job to turn that around, let them understand how a life without the arts, is like food without flavor. But somehow I think you already understand that .. “

You did shock me in a good way with your summary, “Well, i barely remember, but yes I did enjoy having …” Pausing not even sure I should say this directly to you, “sex to Ms James, and I guess my tongue had typo and I am well aware and let’s just say admire Ms. Horne, and I will gladly keep that a secret.… and hope you can keep mine.”

A little wink, being careful to use the word admire, versus the more accurate but more provocative attracted! While he can’t say he was attracted to all black women, any more than he could say he was attracted to all women of any race, some of the most beautiful and desirable women in the world from his perspective were women of color, whether that be dark ebony or light mocha or any where along the continuum of color and Beaty. Yet color was exactly their next topic, based on his unintentionally awkward query.

“I mean, do you prefer to be called white or caucasian or just a person?” she retorted. She hadn’t meant to come off as a smart ass but it was true. “Sorry, that was disrespectful.”

He blushed, ashamed, but wanting to clarify. “I did not take it as disprespectful, and hoped you wouldn’t either.“. He took a moment to make sure she was looking into his eyes as he spoke. “I see you as a very smart, and beautiful young woman, not as colored or black, and I would not care if you were yellow, white or purple, either. It is not how my mind works.”

He wanted to let that sit for a second. “However, there are lines of demarcation. I am assuming you sit in the groups you do, for a reason. And I think you saw today, how little I think of segregation. You do not feel welcome, and I don’t blame you. However, you will see, I am trying to break that down, have you see each other as people. Color of skin is an attribute, but only one of many. My question was not intended to offend but include. So far no one, not you, not any of your friends has made a query of being involved in the show.”

He smiled when she did respond. “No one has a role yet, and none will absent auditions. But whether your skills are meant to be on stage or behind the scenes, doesn’t matter. I want talent and interests to speak for themselves. You are in the choir, of what church, I would love to hear you sing?”

Which actually brought him to his last point. “Perhaps I could help with your father, I would like to get to know my new neighbors and was hoping you and your family might be free either Saturday or Sunday evening for a barbecue? I grill a mean burger or barbecued chicken?”

”Well we are also neighbors, here I should be Mr. Moore, and you shall be Miss Robinson, but perhaps, when in our yards or on the street, you can be Crystal, and if you so choose, I can be Jason.”

Crystal flushed, swallowing hard. The idea of calling him Jason instead of Professor Moore like a teacher or Mr. Moore like he was the girl next doors dad was…well, it felt forbidden. “I’ll keep that in mind, Professor Moore.” She lowered her eyes then quietly said,”Jason…” testing the way his name felt on her lips. She pushed that thought away. The thought of how it would sound in other ways that she didn’t dare let her mind wander. No, that was a sin.
”By the way, and let me be clear, none of my students, are just students. You are all these amazing collections of talents and potential, even the ones that don’t want to be here, even those that thinK this class is a blow off, it is my job to turn that around, let them understand how a life without the arts, is like food without flavor. But somehow I think you already understand that .. “

Crystal simply smiled. She wasn’t exactly sure how to respond to something like that.

“Yes, sir.” It was the only way she knew how to respond. She balanced the weight of her bag on her shoulder, glancing outside the door. It felt like she was being watched but she wasn’t sure who was watching her. No one seemed to be out there or at least not by the door.

“Well, i barely remember, but yes I did enjoy having …” Pausing not even sure I should say this directly to you, “sex to Ms James, and I guess my tongue had typo and I am well aware and let’s just say admire Ms. Horne, and I will gladly keep that a secret.… and hope you can keep mine.”

Crystal couldn’t stop herself from giggling a little bit despite her best efforts to remain more student then friendly neighbor.

“Your tongue had a typo? Like a type writer? What a silly euphemism. That’s okay, I’m sure Miss Horne will forgive you. I certainly do, Professor Moore.”

She was now starting to feel really guilty that she’d made that comment earlier about him asking what she’d preferred to be called: Black, colored, african american…

“I did not take it as disprespectful, and hoped you wouldn’t either.“. He took a moment to make sure she was looking into his eyes as he spoke. “I see you as a very smart, and beautiful young woman, not as colored or black, and I would not care if you were yellow, white or purple, either. It is not how my mind works.”

It was like he read her mind.

“Not how mine works either. Too bad not everyone thinks like us.”

There was a bit of silence between them. Crystal was starting to think that maybe she should leave. She did need to study. She’d promised her parents she’d keep her grades up in order to stay at this school.

“However, there are lines of demarcation. I am assuming you sit in the groups you do, for a reason. And I think you saw today, how little I think of segregation. You do not feel welcome, and I don’t blame you. However, you will see, I am trying to break that down, have you see each other as people. Color of skin is an attribute, but only one of many. My question was not intended to offend but include. So far no one, not you, not any of your friends has made a query of being involved in the show.”

His voice brought her out of her thoughts and she looked back up at him. God he had a sexy voice.

“When you’re the minority Professor Moore you tend to not make inquiries about places or in this case stages where you’re not wanted. Last I checked, Jesus Christ Superstar doesn’t have any tap dancing in it and it doesn’t have any nurse maids or funny best friend, no prostitutes unless you count Mary Magdelene in which case….” She shrugged, not wanting to say that his daughter would probably be the perfect Mary.

“No one has a role yet, and none will absent auditions. But whether your skills are meant to be on stage or behind the scenes, doesn’t matter. I want talent and interests to speak for themselves. You are in the choir, of what church, I would love to hear you sing?”

”Most of my friends at this school aren’t even Christian so they think the show is joke. My daddy…you’re gonna have one helluva time trying to convince him to let me in somethin that isn’t directly involved in the church. Its the small one near the top of the hill by that small grocery store near our house. Its blue and white. The paint is a bit messy but…” again she shrugged.

“Perhaps I could help with your father, I would like to get to know my new neighbors and was hoping you and your family might be free either Saturday or Sunday evening for a barbecue? I grill a mean burger or barbecued chicken?”

“I..I mean I could ask.” Shouldn’t he be asking her dad? “My dads really picky when it comes to barbeque.” She paused, “But i dunno maybe I could see if my mom could warm him up first or something?” Crystal cleared her throat and then chewed on her bottom lip before continuing,”Like I said I can see if any of my friends want to help with set designs too…” but more than likely someone would make a joke about the stage being built on their backs like the US of A.

It felt more like she was talking to a guy from her class instead of a professor. “I really need to um get to my class though…no library, because Kendra…” her voice trailed off.

He heard her softly say, ”Jason…” He crooked his neck, giving her a little smile. “See, I knew you could do it.” She was polite, but he could sense a passion for the theater inside of her. Every bit of her body language seemed to indicate it, as had her answers to his questions.

He sighed, “Crystal, I am going to challenge you, to not be so respectful in her, not defer. If there is something you want, are passionate about, say it, go for it, let this be a room, let this be a class where you feel free. Can you try?”

They talked about his not caring about race, but about the individual. “Not how mine works either. Too bad not everyone thinks like us.” He laughed, “Well, let’s see if we can’t create some converts.” Jason realized he shouldn’t make light of it. “I don’t mean to suggest I have any idea of what you or your friends face, I don’t. I just want you to know, and I want them to know, that here, in this room, or in our program, I won’t tolerate it.”

She lectured him a bit, and he smiled as she threw stereotypes back at him. “Well we won’t have tap dancing, but we will have singing and dancing, but my understanding is the broadway cast is going to be integrated, the point is, talent will play, but there are lots of areas for people to contribute and I hope you do.”

”Most of my friends at this school aren’t even Christian so they think the show is joke. My daddy…you’re gonna have one helluva time trying to convince him to let me in somethin that isn’t directly involved in the church. It’s the small one near the top of the hill by that small grocery store near our house. It’s blue and white. The paint is a bit messy but…”

Now, he did laugh. ”So if you aren’t a cockney flower girl, or an elocutionist you can’t enjoy My Fair Lady … I don’t think this play is pro or anti Christianity, it is a clever interpretation by a talented play write. However, if there are any really good Muslim musicals, please let me know?”

”So I know the church, don’t tell your Daddy, but I am going to try to make it on Sunday, and I am going to bring my daugher if I do.…and I would be much obliged if your mother could help, I have not met her yet, I don’t think?”

Her final comment showed the mistrust, but he let it pass. It didn’t matter what he said, he would let his actions speak for him. She needed to go, “Thank you Miss Robinson, I appreciate your taking the time to speak with me.” He let her leave but couldn’t help but watch her. She was a beautiful young woman, but she seemed to prefer being a caterpillar to a butterfly. With Crystal gone, he arranged the papers he had used for his lecture, putting them away in his briefcase before.

He would have office hours for two hours and then it would be his first meeting with students who might want to participate in the play. He was replaying the talk with Crystal as he walked out of his lecture hall, only to be startled in seeing his daughter there. She did not look happy…..

“So I know the church, don’t tell your Daddy, but I am going to try to make it on Sunday, and I am going to bring my daugher if I do.…and I would be much obliged if your mother could help, I have not met her yet, I don’t think?”
Crystal bit her lip and nodded her head in understanding. “Yeah, I can see if Im able to convince her.” Something about Jason made her feel comfortable. It was weird, maybe it was because he wasn’t like everyone else who tried to ostracize her.

Should she trust that though?

After Crystal left, her professor was all she thought about that whole day. It was wrong, he was her teacher and older and well, interracial relationships were frowned upon.

Of course Kendra wanted to know why the professor wanted to see her after class to which she said he just wanted see if she wanted to audition in the show and if she could convince her friends to to take part.

It was the partial truth.

Classes went by quickly and she ignored any rude comments made by the caucasian students.

Amber

Amber wasn’t sure what to make of what just happened. She’d stayed nearby just to hear what her dad needed to talk to some black girl for.

Sure, he was their professor but he had no reason to hold Crystal back. It was the first day.

Her eyes narrowed at nothing in particular when she heard what might’ve been considered flirting at least from her dads side, Crystal was either too stupid to pick up on it or was ignoring it all together.

But what really upset Amber? Was that her own father, who knew she’d wanted to be an actress since the day she learned what acting was, had been encouraging someone else to steal the spotlight from her!

As soon as Crystal rushed out of the classroom, Amber ducked her head so she wouldn't be so noticeable until her dad came out of the classroom.

“What was that about?” Amber asked as if she were the adult and he were the child. “We didn’t have any assignments to go over so why did you need to talk to her alone? Daddy, that could ruin your reputation if you were seen alone with her.”

Crystal

Jason had watched Crystal walk out, every single step as he couldn’t take his eyes off her, even if he tried. He was even trying to convince himself that he was only being a good teacher, a mentor to all of his students that race didn’t matter, and was certainly not anything that made one race superior to another.

All of that was true, and when it came to the quality of a human he saw no color and could not understand people who did. However, there was another side, the innate chemistry and physical attraction he felt for women of color, black women specifically, and that was what he was trying to repress as he watched the shy but beautiful Crystal walk out.

Wheter it be women of dark ebony or lighter mocha, there was something inherently beautiful and erotic he found about women. And if he were to recite the two most passionate night’s of the most hedonistic and indulgent sexy and passion o of his life, the first would have been alone with a single African American actress, lighter mocha skinned, like Crystal, he had known and often hooked up with in LA. The second would have been a night he spent with two women, one of which was his wife, pre marriage, and a different woman, very dark, and such a gorgeous contrast to the ginger freckles of his wife, but the way their bodies had intertwined as they made love, hour after hour in every position possible.

He found himself moaning at the thought, while undressing the beautiful young woman who had just stood before him. Stop it Jason, he chastised himself, but knew it was a losing battle. Not one to be ignored, simply suppressed, for she was a student, above and beyond all else.

It was in that state, his cock semi erect he emerged from the lecture hall only to be confronted by his daughter.

Amber

“What was that about?” Jason smirked at her tone and cocked the brow on his handsome face. “We didn’t have any assignments to go over so why did you need to talk to her alone? Daddy, that could ruin your reputation if you were seen alone with her.”

He was part angry, part amused. “Are you jealous my beautiful daughter?” He teased, he also knew she was at least partly right about his reputation, even if he hated what it suggested. “Somebody in this faculty has to take the lead in terms of encouraging real integration. I see something in her, a spark, hers were the answers to that quiz that most intrigued me, and I want to encourage that.”

He stopped and came up to her, and put his strong arm around her shoulder. “I know you want this part in the play, and I want you to have it, as your father, but, as a teacher, the one given the responsiblity of putting on this show, it is my job to encourage competition and broad interest and participation. If you really want to be an actress, it won’t be easy Kitten …”

He used the nickname he had used when she was a little girl. “Auditions are competitive, you need it to bring out the best in you, rise to the moment, I am not doing you any favors by guaranteeing anything.”

He wanted to move on, “So, what I really want to know is, why don’t you like her, why do you and some of the other students treat her and the other black students differently, you know neither your mother or I ever believed in any of that? There is something this weekend I am going to want you to do. It is a surprise .. one you may initially not like, but one you need.”

Amber

Are you jealous my beautiful daughter?”
Amber frowned and rolled her eyes. Why would she be jealous of some colored girl? She straightened her posture and examined her pink nails. “No. There’s no reason to be daddy? Have you seen how good I look?”

Since her senior year of Highschool, Amber had become a bit more arrogant than she used to be. It was expected though, from age 12-14 she had braces in her mouth. 14-16 she had to wear those stupid retainers. It had been painful, more so the name calling she got than anything.

After all of that was done though, she never looked back and she wasn’t going to lose her social climbing for anything.
“Somebody in this faculty has to take the lead in terms of encouraging real integration. I see something in her, a spark, hers were the answers to that quiz that most intrigued me, and I want to encourage that.”

Again, Amber rolled her eyes. “Daddy, she gave the same answers as everyone else did. Said her favorite song she wants to sing and what her name is. Nothing special. Does all she have to do to get your attention is bat her eyes and act all doe eyed?” She sighed heavily placing her hands gingerly on her hips,”I just don’t want her to end up getting you fired daddy.”

That part was true considering if someone else taught this class she may not be a shoe in for any starring roles. It wasn’t the colored girls she was concerned over, just Mary Sue Hawkins; a petite blonde hair big bosomed blonde who had been her frenemy since junior high.

Everyone loved blondes.

“I know you want this part in the play, and I want you to have it, as your father, but, as a teacher, the one given the responsiblity of putting on this show, it is my job to encourage competition and broad interest and participation. If you really want to be an actress, it won’t be easy Kitten …”

“But daddy…” she whined.

“Auditions are competitive, you need it to bring out the best in you, rise to the moment, I am not doing you any favors by guaranteeing anything.”

Fine, whatever. She didn’t need his help. The sour look on Amber’s face was incredibly obvious.

“So, what I really want to know is, why don’t you like her, why do you and some of the other students treat her and the other black students differently, you know neither your mother or I ever believed in any of that? There is something this weekend I am going to want you to do. It is a surprise .. one you may initially not like, but one you need.”

Amber was taken aback by that question. “I…I don’t dislike her…” And she didn’t. That would mean she would have to get to know Crystal. “I just…she’s different. That’s all.” They all were. Their hair was kinkier, lips more plump and their were so many different shades of them from dark almost coal black to light caramel. It was…different.

It took Amber a minute to fully digest what her dad was saying but it finally clicked. “What..what do you mean?” Usually she loved her daddys surprises, why wouldn’t she now? What would change?

Amber’s answer to whether she was jealous was bitter sweet to Jason. He liked his daughter’s spunk, he knew she had overcome issues growing up, only to blossom, but her answer only revealed how superficial his daughter had become. “You are beautiful honey, beautiful, but don’t let that be all that defines you.” He waited, and cradled her chin, kissed her on the cheek. “You are so much more, but you need to believe that, and act like you understand that.”

He laughed at Amber’s comments. “She didn’t bat her eyes ... And I think you know, I have plenty that bat their eyes…”. He waited, but she knew. “It wasn’t that she answered, but what she answered, it showed a maturity, a discernment, she is was old school, I liked that.”

He didn’t want to lay it on too thick. “I won’t get fired, but I appreciate your concern. I will try to be careful, but I have to stand up for what I believe in.… Don’t worry about her though, don’t worry about anyone, just be the best you, you can be.”

He saw the sour look. “Trust yourself… how about we go grab dinner tonight? Do you have plans?” He was having a meeting after classes tonight, then he was free. “You are coming to the meeting on the play and audition process, right?”

He saw her intrigue, “I think it is going to give you a different view, she may be different, but so is everyone, try to understand the differences, appreciate them, but also look for way’s you’re similar. We are neighbors, it would be nice if you could be friends?”

He knew she was done, and he thought about the conversation he had had with Crystal. He shouldn’t have asked her to talk to her father, he needed to. Jason looked at this watch he had an hour and a half before the meeting. Jason drove a motorcycle, a Harley he had owned nearly ten years. He rode without a helmet, his full mane blowing in the wind. There house and her Daddy’s church was only fifteen minutes away.

The old church had seen better days, it needed a coat of paint, but that didn’t mean that the spirit was any less strong or the congregation any less devoted. He heard talking inside, and entered quietly. There was a large man, his voice booming, up at the lecture, Crystal’s father was practicing his sermon. Jason stayed in the shadows at first, just wanting to listen, he was impressed, even moved, but when he emerged and Reverend Reginald Robinso, stopped mid sentence. He looked Jason up and down, he wasn’t smiling, “I assume you know where you’re at, so may I ask, what brings you to my church?” The voice was booming, the eyes steely, and all Jason had was a smile… “Your daughter Reverend, I am here because of your daughter, I am her teacher and I am your neighbor….”

Amber

“You are beautiful honey, beautiful, but don’t let that be all that defines you.”

Amber chewed on her lip but didnt say anything. What was she supposed to say to that? Things were alot more difficult without her mom around.

“You are so much more, but you need to believe that, and act like you understand that.”

“Alright…” The tone in her voice was hesitant but she stepped back away from her dad. It was pointless arguing with him on this whole situation.

“She didn’t bat her eyes ... And I think you know, I have plenty that bat their eyes…”. He waited for her to say something.

“Gross.” But he did make a good point. Maybe Amber was just overreacting, maybe she just didn’t like how much attention Crystal got.

“I won’t get fired, but I appreciate your concern. I will try to be careful, but I have to stand up for what I believe in.… Don’t worry about her though, don’t worry about anyone, just be the best you, you can be.”

She couldn’t help the bitter look she gave. Amber didn’t answer at all. She just continued to give him a sour look as she w her arms against her chest.

“Trust yourself… how about we go grab dinner tonight? Do you have plans?” He was having a meeting after classes tonight, then he was free. “You are coming to the meeting on the play and audition process, right?”

She hadn’t really spent time with her dad and maybe that would make her feel better? Amber silently chastised herself for acting like a brat. She just didn’t want to lose her popularity because her dad decided to make one of the colored girls his teachers pet.

“Sure. Dinner sounds okay and yes Im coming to the meeting. I wouldn’t miss it.” Not with Mary Sue being her competition.

“I think it is going to give you a different view, she may be different, but so is everyone, try to understand the differences, appreciate them, but also look for way’s you’re similar. We are neighbors, it would be nice if you could be friends?”

“Hmm…I’ll consider it but we don’t really have a lot in common.” She lied. My Fair Lady was one of her favorites. “I have to head to my math class, daddy. I’ll see you later.”

She didn’t give her dad a chance to say anything as she headed off to her math class. Her day consisted of flirting with Michael Thomas one of the football players for the college and aside from her other classes, she was working on finding a song that well represented her voice.

Being a soprano meant she had alot of options for songs. Mary Sue was an alto so it would be much harder for her.
~~~

**Crystal**

The day had pretty much been productive for Crystal. She’d finished going to all of her classes and then attended her study group.

“I certainly won’t be doing any after school craft time.” One of the guys Phillip said. “Our ancestors didn’t go through trailing through the Underground Railroad for us to be ‘volunteer’ to do hard labor for them…for free.”

Crystal rolled her eyes at him. Phillip had strong opinions. Being half latino and half black did that to a person though. He had joined the Black Panthers movement but even then, because he looked like he could pass for white if he really wanted to wasn’t helping his case most of the time and so he over exaggerated his loyalty to the group.

“You get college credits, I think.” Crystal said,”I might do it, if my papa will let me.”

“Good luck with that but if you do manage to convince him, I’ll do it with you.” Kendra said as they packed their things up. Crystal was already running behind.

Phillip not wanting to be left out shrugged his shoulders,”Well if you guys want to help with sets, I guess I could work it into my schedule. Maybe we could even go out to dinner one night, Crystal.”

Chrissie glanced at Kendra who fought back a giggle.

“Maybe, I’ll consider it. I have to head to the chirch now. My dads already gonna be mad that Im running behind.”
“I can drive you…”

Crystal shook her head. “Not on that motorcycle you won’t. My daddy will have a heart attack!”

About 30 minutes later, Crystal arrived at the church only just barely catching Mr. Moore talking to her dad, something she thought she’d be doing but that was one less thing she had to do.

“Your daughter Reverend, I am here because of your daughter, I am her teacher and I am your neighbor….”

Crystal stood on the side of the door hidden as she listened curious as to how things might play out.

Reginald Robinson … the two fathers meet, but it is the mother who captures the eye

Reginald Robinson had been practicing his sermon, a booming series of carefully selected words that would get this old church rocking. To keep a man on the lord’s path you had to excite his soul, and that was exactly what the stern and powerful man did, every Sunday in this Southern Baptist church. As always he delivered it first to an audience of one, his wife Halle.

GettyImages-464589258-1920x1080.jpg

Halle knew her place, her role, she didn’t always like it, but it wasn’t as if Reginald gave her any choice, it was a command appearance and he was a man who knew how to command. He was on a roll, this sermon particcularly impassioned, speaking to the horrors and hatred that were facing his race. He was speaking specifically to the Hough Uprisings that were happening in Cleveland and what it portended, even here in the deeper racial repression of Memphis!

9aLI0LSi7cbieyiskOdsBaneKmp.jpg

He was just beginning to extoll how their brothers were finally uprising peacefully and bravely facing the white man’s oppression. Oh he was on roll, he hated, not the white man per se, he would not completely stereotype, but for the most part they were the same, entitled and cruel, emboldened by their race and the backing of the police, no matter their cruelty.

Such it was that the smiling, pony tailed, yet large, muscular and powerful, Jason entered the church, and saw the sneer of the man at the lecturn. Jason had not really been listening, more taken by the rich baritone tone of the man’s cadence, he would have made a fine actor. But for Reginald the timing seemed prophetic, as if at exactly the time he was condemning the actions of the men of Jason’s race, massuh had entered HIS house of God, and dared, dared, to speak of his daughter!

Halle Robinson so the fire, even rage in her husband’s eyes, and stood up to see what was the matter, only to have a very different visceral reaction to the large, commanding but exceedingly handsome stranger that had entered. It was fortunate that Reginald did not see his wife’s eyes, either as they looked into the deep and inviting pools fo the visitors eyes, nor as she reflexively raked her gaze appreciatively up and down the man’s muscular and visibly well defined form. He was as powerful as he was handsome, the combination quite heady, and despite himself, Jason also found his eyes lingering and enjoying the stunningly beautiful mocha woman whose smile seemed to offset the snarl from the man at the lecture.

So, this explained it, as handsome as the father was, the wife was even more beautiful and no doubt the source of Crystal’s beauty. Jason kept his smile despite the stRen gaze of the reverend, and kept moving in his direction, slowly extending his hand. His first statement had seemingly fallen on deaf ears, so he repeated it, this time directing it toward the beautiful woman as well, “Your daughter Reverend, I am here because of your daughter, I am her teacher and I am your neighbor…. and may I assume you are Crystal’s mother … the similarity is flattering to you both ….”

Yet it was hard to imagine this woman had a daughter Crystal’s age, yet it was likely equally hard to imagine he had fathered a daughter Amber’s age. Jason sensed the tenseness of the man on the pew and the softness of the woman. “I am Crystal’s drama teacher, and I have a sense your daughter is very gifted. I have a daughter the same age, they are class mates…”. Did people even still use that term, he blushed, and looked down, only to look back up with his dazzling eyes, first at her and then at the reverend, “I am also your new neighbor, would it be possible to speak with you both a moment?“

The reverend was already moving down and toward him, clearly unhappy to have been disturbed, but there seemed to be much more, and there was! For as liberal as Jason might be, Reginald was conservative and lacking trust, but it was not without good reason…

Halle Robinson

Halle Robinson knew her place even if she didn’t always like it. She’d been raised to know what a good housewife should be like and watched her mother come up from the struggle having been raised in a single mother household, she was indeed lucky. So, she knew her place. The sermon Reggie was doing was yet another one based on white supremacy and how to overcome it. It seemed like every Sunday it was the same thing over and over again.

Halle had always been raised to believe that when she found a good man that he was in control of the household whether she agreed with the decisions or not.

She’d also been waiting for Crystal to come home from her classes. They were going to go over her solo before the rest of the choir arrived but it seemed like her daughter was running late which was so unlike her.

She hoped Crystal hadn’t run into any trouble. Some of her friends could be a bit more outspoken than what Halle liked and she always feared her daughters friends would say the wrong thing to the wrong people.

The sound of footsteps brought Halle out of her thoughts and she turned slightly, swallowing hard. Good lord, the man was incredibly handsome. There was something familiar about him, she couldn’t quite place it. It was on the tip of her tongue, in fact.

A pleasurable chill ran down her spine as he stared at her and only the voice of her husband broke Halle out of her trance.

“I assume you know where you’re at, so may I ask, what brings you to my church?”

“Your daughter Reverend, I am here because of your daughter, I am her teacher and I am your neighbor…. and may I assume you are Crystal’s mother … the similarity is flattering to you both ….”

Their daughter? Halle’s heart hammered against her chest. Had something happened to her?

No, that couldn’t have been it. Could it?

“Ah, yes. Im her mother, is everything alright. Is she alright? Did something happen?”

It didn’t hurt to check.

“I am Crystal’s drama teacher, and I have a sense your daughter is very gifted. I have a daughter the same age, they are class mates…”

Oh. Theatre teacher. That explained it. Halle glanced over at Reginald but didn’t say anything. Choir had always been the closest Crystal could get to theatrical performance. That or Christmas plays.

“I am also your new neighbor, would it be possible to speak with you both a moment?“

She smiled kindly, “I dont see why not. Choir practice started about 15 minutes ago but it appears like our choir is late. Welcome to the neighborhood! We can spare a bit of time, can’t we Reggie?” Her brown eyes looked at her husband, what better way to show to love your enemies than this?

Last edited:
Jason had found far more than he was expecting. Crystal’s father was an impressive and commanding man, handsome, one of the few who would compare to Jason’s own imposing and impressive standard. The man clearly was not pleased to see him, but he hadn’t necessarily expected anything different.

All of that was interesting but what had stunned him, fascinated him, and if he admitted it, aroused him, was Halle Robinson. The woman to sum it up in one word, was STUNNING! Jason had spent a lifetime in the company of beautiful women, actresses, models and like his deceased wife, a singer. Halle Robinson did not take a back seat to any. The woman was effortlessly elegant with an innate sex appeal, and he summed all of this up in less than a couple of seconds.

”Your Church?” It was an interesting statement, and although he was not particularly religious he had always considered it God’s house, the men at the lecturn, merely care takers, but that opinion was best left unsaid. “I hope all are welcome?” He didn’t press the issue. “However, I appreciate your hospitality, and I hope to return. However, my purpose here today is not religion but getting to know my neighbor and show support of your daughter.”

Reginald Robinson did not know how to take that, he didn’t like to think of himself as a racist, he hadn’t always been, but repression and overt discrimination hardened a man, he took a deep breath. His wife stepped in before he could. “Ah, yes. Im her mother, is everything alright. Is she alright? Did something happen?” Luckily Reginald was thinking many things none of which involved the near instant chemistry that flew between Jason and his wife.

“And to answer your question, no she is fine, a delight actually, I wish I had an entire classroom like her, you should be proud it is clear how she’s been raised.” Jason didn’t know that Crystal had walked in and could hear every word.

Jason saw both the relief and appreciation in Halle’s eyes, and a realization hit him how the mother of a black child, particularly a black girl, lived in near constant fear of what evils might happen to her. “I am so sorry if I worried you, but no only is she fine, but I promise to do everything in my power to keep her that way.”

It was a nice thing to say, but as time progressed and things progressed, the meaning of these words might come back to bite him. She welcomed Jason to speak with them and Reginald joined, albeit skeptical.

”I would like your daughter to be part of my theatre group, she clearly loves the theater, but it will be her choice if she wants to be on stage or part of the production crew.” Halle smiled, Reginald snarled, “My daughter is not your slave…” The words were laced with bitterness, Jason let it pass. “She has talent doesn’t she?” He was looking at Halle now, but he was sure he was right.

”I would like to do a little barbecue this weekend, let you meet my daughter, unfortunately my wife passed recently, but I want Amber … oh, I’m sorry my daughter’s name is Amber, and she is Crystal’s age, I would like her to have a friendly face or two in the neighborhood, she is a handful, she has taken her mother’s loss hard, and I have probably indulged her.”

To this, Reginald spoke up, “Spare the rod…” His voice bellowed, he was a natural borne preacher. Jason notice how Halle bristled, but he held out his hand. “Perhap, I will admit, single parenting has been hard… I would like to bring her closer to the community…” He looked around, “and perhaps closer to God as well…”. But as he stopped, he was not looking at the reverend, but his beautiful wife, and they were staring into each other’s eyes, and the thoughts in his brain were anything but holy…

Halle

Halle let out a small sigh of relief at the knowledge that her daughter hadn’t been in any danger. She smiled kindly at his apology for causing any concern. It was hard to be a black mother especially during this day and age but Crystal was smart and typically made good decisions.

It was some of her friends that Halle worried about. They were too radical with their message against racism, some were too angry and violent. It made it hard for those who had peaceful words and points of view.

“Oh thank goodness!” Halle said, finding her voice. She didn’t dare stare at Jason too long.

”I would like your daughter to be part of my theatre group, she clearly loves the theater, but it will be her choice if she wants to be on stage or part of the production crew.”

“Oh my god—gosh…” Sometimes she had to remind herself not to say the Lords name in vain unless she wanted to hear Reggie give an hour long speech on why it was a sin to do that. “That sounds like so much fun!”

At the same time her husband snapped,”My daughter is not your slave…”

It was then that Halle noticed Crystal sitting in the last pew waiting for the conversation to end or at least have a good stopping point before she made herself known.

“Reggie…” she admonished giving him a look. There wasnt a need to be rude.

“She has talent doesn’t she?”

Her eyes darted over to Jason and once again she had to ignore how handsome he was.

“She’s the lead singer of the choir…” Halle grinned proudly.

There was a moment of silence before Jason spoke again.

“I would like to do a little barbecue this weekend, let you meet my daughter, unfortunately my wife passed recently, but I want Amber … oh, I’m sorry my daughter’s name is Amber, and she is Crystal’s age, I would like her to have a friendly face or two in the neighborhood, she is a handful, she has taken her mother’s loss hard, and I have probably indulged her.”

“Spare the rod…”

“Perhap, I will admit, single parenting has been hard… I would like to bring her closer to the community…” He looked around, “and perhaps closer to God as well…”

Halle felt a bit of excitement rush through her at the idea of a new church member. That was all it was, right? The tingle between her legs told her no. But she knew better, she was married. Obviously, it was the thought of a new church member and the fact that he was different. He clearly stayed in the sun fairly often since he was tan and his hair looked so long and silky. Her fingers ached to touch it which was ironic.

“I think thats a wonderful idea.”

Crystal

Crystal made herself more known as the conversation started to come to an end. To be honest, she wasn’t sure how she felt about all or this. She didn’t like Amber and she was pretty sure Amber hated her.

No barbecue was going to fix that.

She cleared her throat as she walked down the aisle.

“Sorry, Im late. Hello Professor Moore. I wasn’t expecting you.”

“Jason is our new neighbor, did you know that sweetie?” Her mom smiled at Crystal.

Crystal glanced between Jason and her dad. She wasn’t going to tell anyone in that room that she had noticed him a few times before school had started. Her dad would go berserk and start throwing scriptures at he.

“He did mention that earlier.” She gave a polite smile at him.

“And he’s invited us to a barbecue. Reggie, can we do it? It would be good for Crystal to make some new friends.”

Crystal slightly stiffened. “My friends are just fine.”

“You’re friends are…messy but we will discuss that later.”

Crystal rolled her eyes because her mom never approved of her friends. She turned towards her dad.
“I don’t mind working on the production crew. You’re always talking about how I need to learn that hard work pays off, right? After all, Jesus was a Carpenter.”

Jason & Reginald

As cold as the reception Jason felt from Reginald, the father, he felt warmth, as he tried to rationalize, rather than the outright heat, he felt surge throughout his muscular frame from the ebony beauty. He had to work hard not to stare at the stunningly beautiful woman.

Yet he tried to downplay any sexual attraction, he was after all in a house of God, staring at the wife of the minister, and the mother of one of his students. It was not easy. “I’m sorry, I did not mean to worry you, I should have been more thoughtful, I can’t imagine how hard it is being a mother…”. He caught himself, “I mean a parent…” Looking at Reginald, “In these turbulent times.”

Without meaning to, he had stepped in it, and could see that in the way Reginald bristled. “I have tried to explain to my students, there is no color in my world, or the world of the arts, but I know my message often falls on deaf ears.” He was earnest, he wasn’t one of those, and he found his eyes looking deep into Halle’s, as she seemed to want to believe him.

He set of Reginald without meaning to, yet it was always Halle that kept the calm in the room, even seeming to temper her husband, although Jason could feel the hate in his eyes. He did not hold it against the man, for Jason didn’t even want to think of the potential atrocities that Reginald Robinson might have witnessed by white men to his people and perhaps even Reginald himself. For Jason to be defensive at this point he was of no use, so he turned more of his attention to Halle, the far more receptive audience.

“She’s the lead singer of the choir…” Halle grinned proudly.

Jason met this declaration with a warm smile, “Why does that not surprise me, and do you Mrs. Robinson lead that choir, my guess is talent runs in the family.” He would have added, both talent and beauty, but luckily thought better of it. “I would love to hear her sing, both of you.” If there had been any previous uncertainty, now he would definitely be attending the Sunday service.

He invited them to the barbecue, and nodded a bit to Reginald’s admonishment. “I perhaps have spoiled her, I believe the church could do her good.” Reginald had a hard time arguing with that, letting out a lout hrumph! Jason smiled, “So, can I plan on you? I would be ever so grateful if you would cum and join us?” He asked again, clearly directing the invitation more at Halle, only to have her warmly accept.

”if you want to bring anything, I would always be grateful for anything, just let me know, but otherwise, I will plan to make burgers and hot dogs, unless you would prefer ribs?” Jason loved baby backed ribs himself, but again Reginald chose to take offense. “Perhaps we could bring some chitlins and wear tap shoes!”

Jason looked at Reginald and then at Halle, “I didn’t mean …” but he saw her wave him off. Luckily Crystal interrupted him before he could do any more damage.

Jason smiled at Crystal, “No reason you should have, but I thought I should extent the invitation myself. I understand you are a singer, the lead of the choir? You shouldn’t keep your talent a secret!” He was smiling warmly, looking from mother to daughter and back again, Reginald was a lucky man.

His wife had put Reginald on the spot, and he looked at his daughter hoping she might offer him a way out. “I guess one barbecue won’t hurt, we will bring cornbread and Halle’s Banana Cream Pie, she has the best tasting banana cream pie in town.”

Jason smiled at Halle, “I’m sure, and I look forward to it!” In fact there was not a single doubt in Jason’s mind just how sweet Halle Robinson’s pie might be, but sadly he would never truly know.

He didn’t want to dally any longer, he had accomplished all he hoped, and a smart man would leave. He went and extended his hand to Reginald Robinson, “It has been a pleasure, I will see you at service…” And then he turned and took Halle’s delicate hand in his strong one, “And I shall dream about that pie until Sunday.” He gave her a wink only she could see, even in under these circumstance, Jason was a natural flirt. “I hope I will see you tonight Crystal…”

Were his last words, and Reginald stayed quiet until he heard the huge oak door close. He turned to his wife, “We are going to some white man’s barbecue, what were you thinking?” And then he turned on his daughter, “And you.. .what does he mean, tonight?!?!”

Crystal

“Why does that not surprise me, and do you Mrs. Robinson lead that choir, my guess is talent runs in the family.” He would have added, both talent and beauty, but luckily thought better of it. “I would love to hear her sing, both of you.”

Crystal felt her cheeks flush after her mom bragged about how she was the lead choir singer and felt them heat at Jason’s compliment as well though the fact that he was also complimenting her mom didn’t go unnoticed.

There was a slight spark of jealousy at that though she wouldn’t admit that even to herself. He was, after all, her teacher. Plus her father would probably say something ridiculous about how two races weren’t supposed to mix or giving her an hour lecture about how bad lusting after the flesh was.

Not to mention, he had a daughter that was her age. There were so many reasons why she should ignore how handsome he was even for an older man.

She must enjoy spaced out because when Crystal came back to reality they were talking about his daughter, Amber.

“I perhaps have spoiled her, I believe the church could do her good.”

Crystal did her best to not scrunch up her face in disgust because with her luck she would be girl who would help Amber feel like the church was a second home for her.

She glanced between her dad and her teacher. She saw the desperation in her daddy’s eyes and she mildly shrugged.

As Jason said his goodbyes, Crystal did her best not to watch as he left.

“We are going to some white man’s barbecue, what were you thinking?” And then he turned on his daughter, “And you.. .what does he mean, tonight?!?!”

Halle

Halle had been lost in her thoughts for the moment. She had thought that Jason had been giving her flirtacious comments and innuendos.

Of course it had been awhile since a man had hit on her or maybe being married for so long had blinded her. She’d never been able to look at anyone other than her husband.

“Oh don’t complain. One night with the new neighbor will be good for us.”Halle kissed Reggie’s cheek.

“I um…I was going to help either the background sets for the musical, papa.” Crystal said softly,”It will only be for an hour. Can I go papa, please?”

“It would give us some alone time.” Halle purred.

Reginald Robinson

Reginald Robinson was nearly at a loss for words, and he was never at a loss for words. He could not even remember the last time a white man had set foot into his church, let alone inviting his family over to break bread. Reginald was a man of God, but in his world, his experience, the white man was the tool and embodiment of the devil himself. Halle and Crystal had put him in tough position, and only then had he relented to attending the barbecue.

He watched the professor, if you could really call someone who taught drama that, turn and leave, not trusting to take his eyes off of him until he saw the sun from outside, and the large, oaken doors close behind him. He was seething as he turned to face his wife and daughter.

“We are going to some white man’s barbecue, what were you thinking?” And then he turned on his daughter, “And you.. .what does he mean, tonight?!?!” He looked at one, and then the other. He hadn’t even let himself consider that both of HIS women might be attracted to the muscle bound idiot who had so foolishly just left.

He couldn’t blame Crystal really, perhaps he had been too soft? Although in neither his wife’s nor daughter’s eyes would that likely be their perception. However, Reginald thought perhaps, he had not fully let Crystal know the atrocities he had seen and experienced, the looks and innuendos of lynchings, the poor boys and men he had seen blooded at the most sinister of brutalities.

Whether or not Jason, as he introduced himself, was one of those men, made no difference, he was of them, and they stuck together, particularly in the South, particularly in Memphis, just ask the followers of Dr. King, whom Reginald proudly considered himself a disciple.

He listened to them though, loved him, and if there were any two people that could touch Reginald’s soft side, it was his beautiful wife, and his sweet little girl. He was about to refuse Crystal, for her own good, when his wife spoke up.

“It would give us some alone time.” Halle purred.

Reginald could feel his blood boil, and his cock harden, was she serious, here, it had been far, far too long! He looked ot his daughter, hiding his real rationale and looked into her eyes. “I will let you go tonight, and then we will talk, this does not mean I am allowing this, but well … your mother will have dinner on the table at 7 PM, I expect you home in plenty of time to help her serve it.”

The current time was 3:00 PM, but that would give he and Halle plenty of time, perhaps a time or two? He walked his daugher out of the Church, only to close and lock the heavy doors behind her, but only after giving her a kiss on the cheek and a soft swat on her bottom, “Be careful! He is a white man, and this is a white world!”.

Reginald was well hung, and even in his dark trousers it would be hard to miss the outline of his very large and very hard cock. “Remember before Crystal, when we used to celebrate on the alter?” She was standing to the side, and he moved his way up onto the alter. Slowly and methodically he wanted her to watch as he slowly unzipped his fly.

”It’s been a long time Mama, since you came up here.. been too long since we enjoyed a little celebration of God!“. As he took his massive throbbing prick out for his wife, he looked up to the sky and smiled, “Hallelujah!”

Jason Moore

He held no delusions, Jason was walking quite the precipice. He hadn’t come here to flirt or offend, yet he couldn’t seem to help himself from doing both. He considered himself a good man, he and his wife had enjoyed what could be called an open marriage, to others you might simply call it the 60’s!

It had been cute to see the look in Crystal’s cheeks as he complimented her, and he even thought he saw some jealousy as he looked at her mother, and that was even cuter. Jason hadn’t planned on being attracted, and that hardly captured his true reaction, but despite his words that could certainly have come across as flirting, he intended to not act.

He had gotten used to the way women looked at him, but he was trying to do good here, and attractions he might feel, needed to be suppressed. He thought of Reginald, and God help him if he didn’t suppress these. Crystal, was special, he could feel it, but she was also the same age as his daughter, and a student.

He had work to do before tonight, he needed to go pick up the 20 copies of the score of Jesus Christ Superstar he had ordered, as well as a critical review that had been written about an early off broadway production of the new Andrew Lloyd Weber musical.

It was a hot day, and with all the runnng around, his white linen shirt was practically sticking to his muscular torso like a second skin, and nearly translucent as he walked into the small, university auditorium.

“Daddy, you’re a mess…..” Luckily the theatre was air conditioned, which only made it worse as his wet skin became a bit goose bumped, and his nipples hardened.

He looked down and opened his briefcase satchel. “I’m sorry.. I was just getting everything together. I hope you won’t mind… “ And he slowly undid his shirt, folding it as his muscular and somewhat hairy chest was put on display for all to see, and as he grabbed a tie die t-shirt he kept in his bag in case he could fit in a run, was pulled over his head. It was one of his daughter’s friends, a sassy little brunette who teased him, “Oh no Professor … we don’t mind at all .. .do we … girls???”

Jason was blushing and embarrassed, as he looked at her. “Thank you, but let’s get down to business.”

Last edited:
Crystal

She bit her lip as ger father started complaining about going to some white guys house fir barbeque. It couldn’t be that bad, could it? She almost opened her mouth to question it but caught the quick look her mama gave her as if to say don’t argue with him.

She nearly threw up as her mom and dad talked about being alone tonight. No one wanted to know that their parents were still getting it on.

“I won’t be late!” Crystal said with a wide smile. She quickly hugged her dad and ran out of the church. She wasn’t sure that she even wanted to be in the church.

She quickly rushed home and put her things away. Crystal couldn’t exactly explain why she was so nervous. It really was just an extracurricular school project.

She stopped by Kendra’s dorm room on her way there. Her other college companions opted out because they weren’t trying to be a “slave to the man”.

Amber

“Daddy, you’re a mess…..” Amber scrunched her nose up as her dad walked through the door. He didn’t seem to have had the chance to clean up.

She had to wonder where he’d been all this time but didn’t ask. It wasn’t like he was late or anything. As he apologized Amber idly flipped through the fashion magazine she was reading as one of her friends practically drooled over him.

It was so weird. He was her dad. It wasn’t that Amber didn’t see the appeal of an older man. She often did that with a bunch of movie stars, fantasized about being with them.

It probably added to her dad’s appeal that he worked in Hollywood. Amber rolled her eyes though if he weren’t her dad she probably would’ve fawned over him too.

“Oh no Professor … we don’t mind at all .. .do we … girls???”

“Noooo, you can strip down to your boxers if you want….” one of the girls shouted. The guys groaned.

Her dad had already started changing into something comfortable, removing his business shirt and grabbing his tie dye shirt.

“Gross. Melanie, he’s my daddy.” She muttered under her breath.

“I’d love him to be my daddy. He can adopt me any time.” Melanie said

“Double gross.” Amber only hoped her dad wasn’t listening or just ignored Melanie. As her dad started giving the group instructions, Crystal rushed in gasping for air as if she had run all the way there.

Amber’s eyes narrowed at Crystal.

“What is she doing here? I didn’t know we allowed girls like her to join?” One of the girls said. Amber shrugged her shoulders as she pulled her red hair in a messy bun.

Following behind Crystal was her friend Ken…something or other.

“Are we late? I managed to convince Kendra to join…” her voice trailed off as she looked nervously between the group of theatre kids.

Halle

“Remember before Crystal, when we used to celebrate on the alter?”

Halle grinned at her husband as she was already starting to unbutton his shirt. “Do I ever….” she murmured, her southern drawl coming out. That tended to happen when she got emotional or even horny.

“When we were in college too, you’d sneak me in here when your daddy was fishing…” She watched mesmerized as he pulled his cock out and licked her lips.

Fucking on the church alter was probably the dirtiest thing she’d ever experienced with him but they hadn’t done anything like that after Crystal was born.

She had on a skirt today with a button down floral blouse.

“Remind me, daddy how good it was before…” She reached up and cupped her own breast through her top. “You know, after college Crystal will be on her own that means the house will be allll ours again….”

Jason

“Oh no Professor … we don’t mind at all .. .do we … girls???”

“Noooo, you can strip down to your boxers if you want….” one of the girls shouted. The guys groaned.

“Not unless we all do?” The sixties were the time of free love, and Jason and his wife had enjoyed a very open sexual relationship, something Amber knew nothing of and never should. But as soon as he said it, noting the devilish delight in a couple of the young girls’, who had been flirting, eyes, “I am just kidding girls …” sliding his t-shirt snugly fitting over his massive, muscular frame, “We’ve got a lot to get done tonight.”

One of the girls tittered back, “And who exactly would you like to do Professor?” Jason just gave her a look and tried to refocus the group. He caught Crystal and Amber’s eyes, why exactly he was curious as to their reaction, he didn’t want to admit.

He heard his daughter’s grimace, and that also answered a question he had contemplated, for they both often walked around the house near half naked, and the fact it had no effect on her, was probably good?

Jason let out a sigh, it was a topic he had been thinking about, and now was as good of a time to say it as any. He went and stood in front of the group, who was sitting in front of him in a sort of a semicircle. “I am curious as to your opinions? How many of you think Jesus was sexual?”

He saw the surprised looks in their eyes, “Don’t be so shocked, he was a man in the prime of his physical being, the woman most associated with him, other than of course his mother, Mary, was a prostitute, if you read through the manuscript of Jesus Christ Superstar, it has many sexual undertones, and ladies and gentleman, this is the 60’s! I don’t think we should avoid the topic, in fact, by making this production a bit more suggestive, provocative, I believe we are using art to stimulate a very interesting conversation, however….” He took a moment, and very specifically looked at Crystal, “I would like to hear your thoughts?”

Reverend Robinson

Even before Crystal left, Reginald had noticed a difference in his wife today, however he had not let himself even consider that her suggestive looks might have been inspired by the handsome white man who had just left, jungle fever perhaps in the air? But after Crystal left, Halle got right to the point. Of course at Reginald’s prompting …

“Remember before Crystal, when we used to celebrate on the alter?”

“Do I ever….”

“When we were in college too, you’d sneak me in here when your daddy was fishing…”

Fucking on the church alter was probably the dirtiest thing she’d ever experienced with him but they hadn’t done anything like that after Crystal was born.

“Remind me, daddy how good it was before…You know, after college Crystal will be on her own that means the house will be allll ours again….”

He didn’t know what had gotten into himself, but there was something In the air, and the doors were locked. He held his massive cock in his hand, and he took a step back, and started stroking it slowly in front of her.

“The how about Momma strip nice and slow for Daddy, let me see what a wickedly sexy woman I married… Daddy’s hungry for something sweet … “ He licked his lips, his eyes undressing her already, “Mmmm…. Hungry for some brown sugar Baby Girl… It’s been a while since you had this big black cock!”

He was breathing heavy, fuck he was already so hard, but he wanted this to be slow, he hoped she did too… and God forgive him, but he wanted it to be dirty, filthy, and fucking hot! He peeled off his own shirt, but he never took his eyes off his wife. Even after all these years, he would never tire of watching her get naked for him… “Move for me baby.. like you know I like…”

Crystal

Crystal wasnt quite sure how to take all this, she wasn’t even sure this was proper discussion to have with a professors group of students.

Who would he like to do?

Thankfully, he hadn’t answered as her and Kendra took a seat. Amber eyed them both but turned her attention back on her dad fidgeting some and looking somewhat uncomfortable.

“Daddy, seriously?” Amber snapped

“I am curious as to your opinions? How many of you think Jesus was sexual?” The professor asked. This time, Crystal was the one who fidgeted.

This was not something she was raised to believe or question. Her eyes along with many of the other students widened.

“Don’t be so shocked, he was a man in the prime of his physical being, the woman most associated with him, other than of course his mother, Mary, was a prostitute, if you read through the manuscript of Jesus Christ Superstar, it has many sexual undertones, and ladies and gentleman, this is the 60’s! I don’t think we should avoid the topic, in fact, by making this production a bit more suggestive, provocative, I believe we are using art to stimulate a very interesting conversation, however….”

He was staring at her now. The way he stared made her question everything she was very taught, about sexuality and religion and just, everything.

“I would like to hear your thoughts?”

Kendra gently nudged her and grinned playfully.

“I think that this show is based in a secular mind set.” Its what her daddy would have expected her to say. “So of course there are sexual undertones.

“BORING!” One of the other students yelled, “I love the idea professor. Would you be playing Jesus then? I would loooove to be on my knees for you.”

The stage burst into giggles from the girls while the guys glared or rolled their eyes.

For a quick minute, even Crystal imagined herself kneeling in front of him but pushed that thought away.

A few hands raised at his question though, about Jesus being sexual. Crystal did not raise her hand, Amber did.

Halle

Halle watched entranced as her husband pulled his big thick black cock from his pants and started stroking. How long had it been since they’d made lo—

No fucked, truly fucked. While making love was swell she’d forgotten what it was like to be manhandled by her husband.

“The how about Momma strip nice and slow for Daddy, let me see what a wickedly sexy woman I married… Daddy’s hungry for something sweet … “

Halle grinned and walked over to the small radio sitting on a side table. She turned it on and switched it to one of the R&B stations.

Her hips moved to the music as her hands moved up and down her body, over her breasts squeezing them through the material of her conservative dress. She unbuttoned her dress revealing her white laced underwear and bra.

“Like this daddy?”

It was just a nickname and she’d never once carried fantasies about her own dad but it did help that her husband was a few years older than her, not by much.

“Mmmm…. Hungry for some brown sugar Baby Girl… It’s been a while since you had this big black cock!”

The way he was talking to her was just how he used to talk to her when they were younger and in college.

“I love your big black cock, daddy.” Halle peeled her dress off and it fell to the ground and then unclasped her bra as Chain of Fools blasted through the radio. She shimmied her shoulders and her bra fell revealing her big d sized breasts.

Now she only stood in her lacey panties.

“Move for me baby.. like you know I like…”

She swayed her hips to the music turning so her butt was facing him.

Back