A Genius And His Shadow (Closed)

Otto Octavius

"Well yes, pretty soon it should be done and you can feast,"

He grinned slyly,

"Oh I know avout the food you young lot and students eat, good food will go down just right."

She laughed a bit.

"Oh so you know other young people that are genius's as well? I'm not the only student" she put on a pouting face, but then laughed.

"I'm not picky, I never really was like other people my age. I prefer to study while people went out to party"

Otto Octavius

"I should know other students, one should keep up with your competition."

He smiled and finished his wine,

"Of course there is many others that likes to stay in and study, so the time for making proper food is not there as well."

He refilled the glass, topped her glass and then put the bottle away.

She grinned some as she sipped a bit and put the glass down, and walked back over to the piano.

"True, You know even though I graduated from college. I was asked to perform next week, since the last day people found out that I wrote music. I never told anyone, well except Rose maybe. So between working for you and my spare time I wrote a song, maybe it's kind of silly dunno" she looked down at the keys.

Otto Octavius

"Very few things you have done can be seen as silly, so please if you wish to share it with me, go ahead and play, you know that I won't laugh at you. Your music is calming and original, that I appreciate."

She smiled some at him, he was always there to encourage her. Thinking for a moment she looked at him. "I started to write it after your accident" Looking down at the keys she took a deep breath. She began to play a tune, that took her forever to come up with. The song was about how they both had changed, and about how she was afraid how he would come out after the accident.

Still Alive By Lisa Miskovsky

Otto Octavius

He listened to her as she sang, her voice fitting well with the music that her fingers brought forth. He occasionally sipped on his wine, looking at her while she sang, why did it feel at moments like these that she saw him more than just a friend? Like she loved him?

The thought was new to him, one that he had not thought to be possible, yet there it was in front of his very own eyes and ears. He smiledd gently and before she finished he got up and went into the kitchen to check up on the food. As the last notes sounded he returned and gave her a big smile,

"Ah perfectly done my dear, it is a very lovely song."

He moved to the piano and stood there looking down at her,

"It seems unlike a scientist you also have a heart for music."

She smiled some and slowly stood up, looking at him. "Ive known you long enough to be able to read you Otto, you wonder how it's possible I can love you. But it's time I tell you something" She said softly and looked down for a moment. Stepping away from the piano she looked out a small window.

"No one ever really saw me, I was like a shadow growing up. I succeeded faster then other kids, and I was picked on for it. I had no friends, I tried killing myself once. Before we met, I was broken Otto. I thought what was the point of being smart and hated for it. I looked at what I knew as a curse, my mother found me in time. Then I read about you, my father never told me that he knew you till a month later. You and Rose were the only two that saw me, the real me. You taught me knowledge was a privilege, You always looked out for me. You saw a young woman and not a child like most saw me, your a good man Otto.

Rose made me make a promise to her, she wanted you to be happy. To always protect and be there for each other, I could see the pain after her passing. You almost drowned in your work, it wasn't till the accident when I realized I had feelings for you. We understand each other very well, we are each others family. We have been for many years, when one hurts so doesn't the other."

Otto Octavius

He listened to her and as she continued it sounded more and more like his own tale, he just had the abusive father and helpless mother. His mother was too frail to be strong, but she supported him. In retrospect he think that he saw so much of himself in Victoria that he found that he could understand her so much better than anybody else ever could.

"You understood half of what I taught you my dear, knowledge is not just a privelage, it makes you the seeing man in the universe of the blind."

He picked up his glass and inspected it,

"How many could actually understand my work and it's uses? Very few, you are the only one who not just understood it, you helped me, you encouraged and learned, you discussed and you helped to find the logic in the moments of doubt."

He turned to face her and smiled,

"You are in fact so much more than just a student to me, but it is something that even I fear to say or think as it may lead to some place where we could become lost in who and what we are and become uncomfortable in later stages of our lives."

She listened to Otto, he was so kind and she just about blushed when he complimented her on so much. It was a nice feeling, to here what he had to say to her. She nodded, enjoying the moment she had with him. It was amazing how they seemed to understand one another, but then he spoke about afraid of what could happen between them.

"I know what you mean Otto, but let's face it. We have known each other over five years, we both have smarts. I maybe young and not as experienced in life as you are, but id never go blind. I see the world in ways not many can, I see and understand much. I agree with the things you do, you want to make the world a better place. To help our planet, Earth has wounds that you have been trying to heal. Your invention just may give the planet a chance of lasting longer, you want to save the world in your own way. That is the most Nobel thing Ive ever seen or heard of. I love you Otto that will never change, but I'm also not going to force you into something you don't want.

But just know that no matter what happens, no matter how things may change. For good and bad times, I will be here with you. Believing in you, Ive always looked up to you and believe in you. Rose would be just as proud of you as I am" She took his hand in hers and smiled some. She loved Otto more then anything in her life, she loved him so much it was almost hard to breath.

Otto Octavius

He smiled, gave her hand a squeeze and patted it with his own,

"And it is the experience talking,"

He looked at one of the arms,

"Yes you are right, I should finish up the food."

He gave her a smile and moved into the kitchen, to add the finishing touches to the food, which was almost ready. He came out holding a bottle of red wine.

"Wine, the drink of intellectuals and the cheap way to get wasted."

He chuckled,

"Come, let us try it, its chilled and should be good. It is six years old after all."

She smiled looking at him kindly.

"Well we will just have to see, if it's meant to happen it's fate. If not I will always be your faithful friend" She said happily.

But in the back of her mind she hoped to god, they were meant to be together.

Watching him finish up, she set up the table. And when he came out and made the joke she laughed. She held both glasses so he could fill them up, she had never had wine that was six years old. She had heard the older the alcohol the better it would be, more taste they would say.

When he poured the wine she could smell it, and it was a lovely smelling wine.

"Wow that is strong smelling wine, smells delicious" She said happily. She watched as he put the wine bottle down and she handed him his glass.

"How about a toast?" She said and thought of one quickly.

"A toast to you Otto, may you be successful. For you will always have me in any way shape or form, may our bond get stronger for family is a very beautiful thing. For I am sure Rose is watching us from above, happy. For a wonderful time together." She said happily, hoping the toast wasn't stupid.

Otto Octavius

"Oh you think my wine is water and this is brandy."

He smiled at her, took his glass from her and listened to her toast, it didn't matter how she tried to hide it. She had a thing for him and he would be an idiot if he even tried to deny that she had found a niche in his heart as well.

"I will drink to that...salut."

He took a drink from his glass and smiled at her,

"Well not too shabby I must admit, needs a bit more body and is a tad too fruity, but it is worth the price I'd say."

She smiled at him, as she listened to him talk. He was starting to see the love she had for him, she didn't know if that was a good or bad thing. The girl was never the kind to complain however.

"I thought it was nice, I know a bit about wine. My mother taught me how to tell a good wine from a bad one. This one was one of the best Ive tasted in a while"

Putting her glass down, she smiled happily. Looking over at a picture on the wall, she thought about when it was taken. About seven years ago, looking down she could run everything in her life. Rose had seen his work, but would never live to see the end. She smiled looking up and could smell the food.

"What ever your making Otto, smells wonderful"

Otto Octavius

"Ah speaking of such..."

He got interupted by a loud PING from the kitchen, he chuckled,

"As usual interupted by the bell, it is ready, I'll just dish it out and leave you to feast to your heart's content."

He chuckled as he went into the kitchen, dishis up the food he returned carrying a bowl with salad as the arms carried the bowl of Spaghetti, mince and cheese, everything got placed on the table and he settled down.

"Well there you are my dear, hope it is as tasty ans it smelled."

She smiled watching him move to the other room, when she looked out the window for a moment, she noticed he came back in.

As he put everything down and sat down, everything smelt so good. V put some pasta on her plate, and put some salad in her bowl she took a bite.

"Your better then you think Otto, this is great" She smiled, she didn't lie very well, so she never lied. He didn't give himself enough credit that was for sure, grinning some she enjoyed what she was eating.

"Tomorrow is a big day, you ready for it?" She smiled happily.

Otto Octavius

He dished a plate for himself, added a generous helping of cheese to his pasta and mince, then settled down to eating, he accepted her praise with a smile
At her question he thought about it, chewing slowly,

"I believe that everything proves to be in order, all security buffers is in place, the counter balance is in effect so yes I am ready, as ready as I can ever be. How about you? Ready to be the face of the future?"

She smiled looking at him very lovingly and as he spoke, then asked her if she was ready she nodded some.

"Ready as I'll ever be, I just hope things go good. Don't want anything else bad to happen, but I have a lot of faith in you and what you have created"

She almost said what we created but he did most of the work.

Otto Octavius

As did Rose

It was something his mind whispered to him, but he knew that everything was now better and his fail saves was sure to stop anything. The tests have proven it over and over again, he had tested it so much that even the AI was driven to tears and that was saying a lot. He knew everything was in perfect working order.

"Well then, Science and friendship, a goal well sought after and found very rarely."

He toasted her with the last wine in his glass and one arm immediately refilled the glass,

"So how is your work coming along? I know you are writing a paper."

She toasted to that, and was happy about it as well. Sipping her last glass, since she didn't want to get drunk. Thinking of the paper she nodded.

"Yeah almost done actually, I would have had it done by now. But it's quite challenging. Not that I'm complaining, since I'm glad. I love a good challenge you know?"

She said smiling, she was feeling a little buzzed with all the wine she drank. But she figured she would just crash there, since she wasn't stupid enough to try and drive with the condition she was in.

"Otto, do you mind if I stayed in your guest room tonight? I don't dare drive with how tired I am and the wine I drank." Course she hoped he would admire her being open and not being stupid enough to drink and drive. But felt stupid as well.

Otto Octavius

"Sure sure, that is why I have it. Didn't think that the wine would catch up with you so fast."

He smiled gently at her,

"Now finish your food, I have desert."

She chuckled some as she kept eating, making sure to be lady like at all times.

"Yeah well I have a small frame Otto, I can handle myself fine. But being smaller doesn't really help me to much, that and it would be better if I stay any way. Since we have a busy day tomorrow"

V was happy and finished up her meal, enjoying the taste of the food he made.

"You can cook Otto you don't give yourself enough credit" She said happily.

Otto Octavius

He chcuckled

"Of course to a student it would seem like ambrosia, I think I should have added more origanum and less salt."

He smiled and gave her a wink

She almost blushed when he winked at her,

but held it back, she could do that pretty well.

"ambrosia huh?" She tilted her head a little thinking.

"Perhaps, but I'm no student. Then again I could be Otto's little student" She giggled.

Otto Octavius

"Aha! But you are a student, you study and learn every day. I may be called a professor, but I also study so am I not a student myself. Let's just say I have more experience at studying then."

He chuckled and finished his wine.

Back