100 Shades of Literature

Love the idea... I've not read any of them but would also prefer TGG or IM.

Okay bumping for last day to vote!

3 ~ The Great Gatsby
3 ~ Invisible Man
2 ~ Slaughterhouse Five

3 ~ no preference

[laughs] Okay someone needs to have a preference! We are locked up here!

3 ~ The Great Gatsby
3 ~ Invisible Man

2 ~ Slaughterhouse Five

4 ~ no preference

Unless I have done the numbers incorrectly. Which is always possible. I was an English major and ran from anything even remotely math related. :eek:

How about we choose Great Gatsby and people can Poo Poo on me later.

Eyes of Dr. Ekelberg await!

[laughs]

The voting is open until midnight. But right now, thanks to Aquagal the numbers are showing

4 ~ The Great Gatsby
3 ~ Invisible Man
2 ~ Slaughterhouse Five

4 ~ no preference

One hour left!

[laughs]

The voting is open until midnight. But right now, thanks to Aquagal the numbers are showing

4 ~ The Great Gatsby
3 ~ Invisible Man
2 ~ Slaughterhouse Five

4 ~ no preference

One hour left!

Heh. I like to think I chose the book. :D

Okay! The voting is closed and it looks like The Great Gatsby is the winner!

So now you have the weekend to go get your copy and check in on Sunday night/Monday morning for which chapters we will be reading and a list of questions to get you started!

Hope everyone is as excited as I am. I look forward to seeing the various thoughts and interpretations. :D

Hey y'all! I got an early start. I am assuming that everyone has the book and is ready to start reading! I have taken various discussion questions from different sites and forums. As you read, keep these questions in mind.

I am thinking we will start with just Chapter 1 & 2. If you guys go into Chapter 3 let me know. I have the questions for it. I just didn't know the reading speed and the time each of you has to read this week.

And with that, here we go!

Chapter 1

1. Why do you think Nick starts the story by telling the advice his father gave to him? In what way do you think this sets the tone for the novel?

2. What impression do you have of the narrator, Nick Carraway, from his narration and actions? How does Nick see himself?

3. What separates The West Egg from the East Egg? Is it only a geographic distance or something more?

4. How does Nick describe Gatsby’s house.

5. What do you learn about Daisy Buchanan from her dress, dialogue, and body language?

Chapter 2

1. In this chapter Fitzgerald writes about the Valley of Ashes. He also mentions dust and smoke (at the party). All three of these reappear numerous times throughout the novel. What could they symbolize? What is the Valley of Ashes literally?

2. A billboard with the eyes of Dr. T. J. Eckleburg is also an important symbol in this chapter. Reread p. 23. A lot of attention is paid to the eyes, what do you think these eyes represent?

3. What do you learn about Tom Buchanan from his dress, mannerisms, dialogue, house, and actions?

4. How would you describe the nature of the party at Tom’s apartment?

**Note why Catherine says Tom won’t divorce Daisy. Nick knows this is not true. **

5. Why did Myrtle marry George if she didn’t love him?

And now I am off to read! Can't wait to see what you guys think of The Great Gatsby

Okay guys, quick note. I hadn't thought about it, but a Litster has made a very good point about deadlines. On Sunday I will be posting the questions for the next few chapters. So your thoughts and such need to be in by Friday/Saturday.

In fact any time a few posters want to discuss what they are reading, they are welcome to.

Chapter 2

Valley of Ashes, perhaps this symbolizes the neighborhood of the working class. More oppressed people. Grey. People burned out by life.

The Dr. Eyes on the billboard. Faded, worn by the elements, yet still present. I think these eyes are looking down upon the people. Tired eyes, but can still see what is morally right.

3 Tom Buchanan. I think he thinks he's better than, his word, his manner has authority. The last say. I don't think he's very likeable, yet people want to be around him. Most likely because of his wealth and power. Perhaps that they may absorb some it, hang on his coat tails.

I think Tom lies about Daisy being Catholic simply because he doesn't want to marry Myrtle. The relationship is a lie, to appease his sexual needs I suppose. To let loose a side of him that he can't in society? Which brings up the violence in the end of the chapter. That surprised me. Were these actions more acceptable when he partied with people less influential? Is Nick part of that?

Written as he was about to write Gatsby....

tumblr_lypyw8Jcq91qb44qfo1_500.png

wow. I love that. Perhaps the final question we should ask ourselves is if he achieved that.

Thank you Mollie. Oh and LOVE the socks!! :D

Thanks!!

Glad you liked it - wasn't sure if it would be adding extraneous stuff that wasn't wanted on the thread.

Since it's the final question, I'll keep quiet on my answer :)

Thanks!!

Glad you liked it - wasn't sure if it would be adding extraneous stuff that wasn't wanted on the thread.

Since it's the final question, I'll keep quiet on my answer :)

By all means. Any post the pertains to the topic of what we are reading or to the concept of reading in general is more than welcome. :D

Now I can't wait to see your answer to the final question.

Okay Friday night and my thoughts on Chapter 1.

Chapter 1

1. Why do you think Nick starts the story by telling the advice his father gave to him? In what way do you think this sets the tone for the novel?

His father’s advice definitely defines Nick. It shows that though he is from “prominent, well-to-do people” he does not judge anyone. As he father says a “sense of fundamental decencies is parceled out unequally at birth” and this statement makes me question what those fundamental decencies are and who gets the lion share? There is the idea that since this advice is coming from a well off man that the supposition is that the wealthy have the advantage. But do they? ‘Fundamental decencies’ are not something that can be evaluated with a monetary yardstick.

Similarly Nick goes on to say “conduct may be founded on the hard rol or the wet marshes, but after a certain point I don’t care what it is founded upon” which further makes me believe that fundamental decencies and conduct have nothing to do with how wealthy or poor you are. This thought further sets Nick apart as he is then able to assess people without a care of their ‘class’.

2. What impression do you have of the narrator, Nick Carraway, from his narration and actions? How does Nick see himself?

I see Nick as a little contemptuous of people in general. As he says in the beginning that people confide in him and I think that has contributed to the sense of distaste for people. Being privilege to other’s thoughts and deeds, I get the sense that he sees the worst of people. And one assumes that since he has lived a mostly privileged life it is the secrets and actions of the wealthy that he has been the witness to. This is conjunction with the idea that he has been away to war, you can begin to understand why he is annoyed with people and maybe even more with people who have no moral code or center, people who lead a superficial life. Perhaps that is why when he goes to New York he chooses to live in West Egg instead of East Egg. Perhaps he is trying to distance himself from the upper class.

3. What separates The West Egg from the East Egg? Is it only a geographic distance or something more?

Physically they are twins “identical in contour and separated only by a courtesy bay”. He further drives home this idea with the musing of whether they confuse the birds overhead.

But then he goes on to say ‘a more arresting phenomenon is their dissimilarity in every particular except shape and size”. That in fact the West Egg is the ‘less fashionable of two” but that this is only a superficial view, the two are contrasted on a much deeper and bizarre way. He even talks of his own rented home and how he lives in “the consoling proximity of millionaires”. But it does make me realize that his home (an admitted small eyesore) is situated to look onto the East Egg perhaps as a way to show how someone from the West Egg sits in a state just outside of being accepted or recognized by the wealthier, old school East Eggers. Thereby sitting in a position of eternal want?

4. How does Nick describe Gatsby’s house.

Fake. At the core of it Gatsby’s house is an “imitation of some Hotel de Ville in Normandy” and this newness is trying to be hide under “a thin beard of raw ivy”. This idea of ivy being a symbol of status isch is contrasted later in the chapter with how Daisy and Tom’s lawn is described as one that “start a the beach and ran toward the front door for a quarter mile, jumping over sun dials and brick wals and burning gardens – finally when it reached the house drifted up the side in bright vines as though from the momentum of its run” The imagery created here uses the idea (even without the actual word) of ivy.

5. What do you learn about Daisy Buchanan from her dress, dialogue, and body language?

Nick’s first description of Daisy is one of an anchored balloon. She quickly shows herself to be narcissistic in her wondering if the people in Chicago missed her and her quiet fussing at Nick for missing her wedding (even though he was away at fighting which would seem like a perfect excuse) down to the way she holds her face (“Daisy took her face in her hands as if feeling its lovely shape”). One gets the sense of her dressed in flowing fabric and her body language (yawning, lying on the divan, etc)… all of these things hint at no structure, no strength but something that is easily swayed and lacks the ability to stand on its own.

All of this coalesces in her thoughtless, cavalier treatment of her daughter. Who she says she hopes “she’ll be a little fool – that’s the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.”

I admit this line bothers me and leaves me a little confused. Since Daisy doesn’t strike me as a fool, she strikes me as a woman that uses the affectation of simple or silly woman. But I feel like there is more to her, I think she knows more that she lets other people see. And I think she manipulates people very easily because she is actually quite astute at seeing what is there and who people really are.

Would love to see if anyone agrees or disagrees with me.

Or if anyone can really explain the idea behind Daisy's belief that being 'a beautiful little fool' is the best thing a girl can be. I admit this line does and has always bothered me.

Back