Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Old 04-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
NekoParks
Able to Multiple Sarcasm
 
NekoParks's Avatar
 
NekoParks is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: With Prof. Plum in the library with some rope....
Posts: 2,114
Huge Explosion in West, Texas

There are many Texans that post on AH, so they probably know about the tragedy that occurred in a small Texas town north of Waco. Here is a link to the story so far.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/texas-news/...203508001.html

Calls have gone out for blood in communities as far north as Dallas. There are a huge number of injured people. Blood banks were already in need due to Boston bombing. If you can donate blood, please go to your local blood bank tomorrow morning.

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/a...boston-tragedy

http://www.carterbloodcare.org/

There may be as many as 70 dead and hundreds of people injured. If you want to help, contact the Red Cross and the Salvation Army. Any Texans that want to help can donate blood at your local blood bank. The injured are being care flighted to all major Texas cities—Austin, Dallas, Ft. Worth, and San Antonio.

Many first responders may have been killed in the initial explosion.

Last edited by NekoParks : 04-18-2013 at 11:49 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
slyc_willie
Captain Crash
 
slyc_willie's Avatar
 
slyc_willie is offline
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the flesh
Posts: 17,307
Cool

Holy crap.

I haven't had the news on today, so didn't hear about this. Waco is only a couple hours north of where I am.

Unfortunately, I can't donate blood. I'll have to offer more spiritual aid than physical.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
NekoParks
Able to Multiple Sarcasm
 
NekoParks's Avatar
 
NekoParks is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: With Prof. Plum in the library with some rope....
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyc_willie View Post
Holy crap.

I haven't had the news on today, so didn't hear about this. Waco is only a couple hours north of where I am.

Unfortunately, I can't donate blood. I'll have to offer more spiritual aid than physical.
That's okay. If you can donate baby formula, diapers, and anything else... your local news will tell you where to drop off the donations. Waco Convention Center says that they need everything. The Red Cross and Salvation Army are already on the scene trying to help.

The FAA is diverting flights around the air space over West, Texas. The fire is huge. This is really bad. People said they felt the blast 60 miles away. Many thought what they felt was an earthquake.

People are already showing up at Parkland Hospital's Trauma Center to donate. I plan on donating tomorrow morning.

Last edited by NekoParks : 04-18-2013 at 12:49 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 12:49 AM   #4
slyc_willie
Captain Crash
 
slyc_willie's Avatar
 
slyc_willie is offline
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the flesh
Posts: 17,307
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoParks View Post
That's okay. If you can donate baby formula, diapers, and anything else... your local news will tell you where to drop off the donations. Waco Convention Center says that they need everything. The Red Cross and Salvation Army are already on the scene trying to help.

The FAA is diverting flights around the air space over West, Texas. The fire is huge. This is really bad. People said they felt the blast 60 miles away. Many thought what they felt was an earthquake.
I think I can make a trip to my local HEB for a donation. I've no doubt they'll be accepting them tomorrow.

Thanks for the head's up.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 12:56 AM   #5
TxRad
Dirty Old Man
 
TxRad's Avatar
 
TxRad is offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 28,719
Fertilizer is ammonia nitrate, a very high explosive. It was what was used in Oklahoma City.

There were two explosions. One at 8 pm and one at 10 pm.

I saw some pictures and the smoke cloud looks like an atomic bomb mushroom cloud but a dirty grey and brown.
__________________
New Story: Party Early 10/02/14 Romance Halloween Contest

New Story: Marley 08/21/14 Interracial Summer Lovin' Contest


Why yes, I am a dirty old man. Thanks for asking.

All Stories By TxRad
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 01:01 AM   #6
NekoParks
Able to Multiple Sarcasm
 
NekoParks's Avatar
 
NekoParks is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: With Prof. Plum in the library with some rope....
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRad View Post
Fertilizer is ammonia nitrate, a very high explosive. It was what was used in Oklahoma City.

There were two explosions. One at 8 pm and one at 10 pm.

I saw some pictures and the smoke cloud looks like an atomic bomb mushroom cloud but a dirty grey and brown.
Exactly. The pictures on the news are unbelievable. The entire area is on fire. They are using school buses to take the injured to local hospitals. The news just said that there may be several hundred injured.

Local news just reported that the explosion registered as a 2.1 earthquake. People as far north as Duncanville felt it.

Recent report: Over 100 injured at Hilcrest Baptist Hospital in Waco at 1:21 AM. Over 65 are being treated in Dallas area hospitals.

Last edited by NekoParks : 04-18-2013 at 02:14 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #7
NaokoSmith
Honourable Slut
 
NaokoSmith's Avatar
 
NaokoSmith is offline
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: In my dreams
Posts: 7,729

I am so sorry for all who are affected by this.
__________________
Just like one of the lads, really. (With tits .)

Submission. I mean my submissions.

Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men -- the other nine hundred and ninety-nine follow women. - Groucho Marx.
You can follow me on my review blog: Feminist Erotica

Sweet dreams are made of this. Who am I to disagree? I travel the world and the seven seas.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 02:43 AM   #8
steve44uk
Baleful
 
steve44uk's Avatar
 
steve44uk is offline
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Beep beep, Richie.
Posts: 4,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaokoSmith View Post

I am so sorry for all who are affected by this.
I feel kin of helpless, being so far away. My thoughts are with those poor people and their families...
__________________
My stories

My AH Directory entry.

Dianthus: "You're incorrigible. I like that in a friend..."

"Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks." - Lazarus Long
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 02:48 AM   #9
johneb87
Literotica Guru
 
johneb87's Avatar
 
johneb87 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 7,383
Just saw this and saw the video on CNN. Sending good thoughts to all in the area.
__________________
Dammit, I need to get some sleep.

My stories
http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

Travel blog and random musings
http://johneb87.wordpress.com/

My Visual Arts thread
http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=952541
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 04:40 AM   #10
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.
 
Bramblethorn's Avatar
 
Bramblethorn is offline
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Australia (occasionally USA)
Posts: 3,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRad View Post
Fertilizer is ammonia nitrate, a very high explosive. It was what was used in Oklahoma City.
And the 1947 Texas City disaster. I take my hat off to the fire crews whose job involves fighting fertiliser fires instead of running like hell :-(
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #11
NekoParks
Able to Multiple Sarcasm
 
NekoParks's Avatar
 
NekoParks is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: With Prof. Plum in the library with some rope....
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoParks View Post
There are many Texans that post on AH, so they probably know about the tragedy that occurred in a small Texas town north of Waco. Here is a link to the story so far.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/texas-news/...203508001.html

Calls have gone out for blood in communities as far north as Dallas. There are a huge number of injured people. Blood banks were already in need due to Boston bombing. If you can donate blood, please go to your local blood bank tomorrow morning.

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/a...boston-tragedy

http://www.carterbloodcare.org/

There may be as many as 70 dead and hundreds of people injured. If you want to help, contact the Red Cross and the Salvation Army. Any Texans that want to help can donate blood at your local blood bank. The injured are being care flighted to all major Texas cities—Austin, Dallas, Ft. Worth, and San Antonio.

Many first responders may have been killed in the initial explosion.
Our local news reported that over 300 units of blood were sent from our area to Waco. Even if you are not in an area that is directly affected by an emergency, you can help by donating blood where you are.

When a disaster happens, usually there is a call all over the country for blood. Right now, our blood bank desperately needs A negative blood. Giving blood hurts less than having a shot and it really saves lives.

A big thank you to all of the caring messages from people around the world.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #12
PennLady
Literotica Guru
 
PennLady's Avatar
 
PennLady is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,543
Just saw this when I checked the news this morning. So sad. I hope the fatality and injured list doesn't get any worse.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #13
danger2no
Registered User
 
danger2no is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: eh
Posts: 226
Sorry to hear about this. People are in my thoughts and prayers
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #14
SweetWitch
Green Goddess
 
SweetWitch's Avatar
 
SweetWitch is offline
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,283
We were informed today that 10 of our coworkers in West were evacuated. Some of them lost their homes. Not only did they lose their homes, but they lost their offices. These are work-from-home employees, so losing your house also loses your ability to do your job. They lost everything except their lives.

Except their lives--I guess that's what counts.
__________________

Out now, on eXcessica and in print on Amazon: Shelter From The Storm and Spell of Appalachia.



~~~~

SweetWitch is my best friend in all of LitDom, notwithstanding our CURRENT FEUD, and she can post in any thread of mine any time the mood strikes her.
~Marsh Alien
Welcome to a world of unbridled sensuality, where the only restrictions are from insufficient imagination. A world of fantastic sexual delights and overwhelming passions.
You're about to enter--The Naked Party Zone.
~TE999
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #15
slyc_willie
Captain Crash
 
slyc_willie's Avatar
 
slyc_willie is offline
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the flesh
Posts: 17,307
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetWitch View Post
We were informed today that 10 of our coworkers in West were evacuated. Some of them lost their homes. Not only did they lose their homes, but they lost their offices. These are work-from-home employees, so losing your house also loses your ability to do your job. They lost everything except their lives.

Except their lives--I guess that's what counts.
It is indeed. Although it's hard to tell someone that in the middle of grief.

My wife and I didn't hesitate to place a donation this afternoon at our HEB. They actually had a little booth there for it.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #16
SweetWitch
Green Goddess
 
SweetWitch's Avatar
 
SweetWitch is offline
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyc_willie View Post
It is indeed. Although it's hard to tell someone that in the middle of grief.

My wife and I didn't hesitate to place a donation this afternoon at our HEB. They actually had a little booth there for it.
The company is setting things in motion for them and offering assistance, but they're also asking for donations. Payday is tomorrow. I'll being forking over a chunk.
__________________

Out now, on eXcessica and in print on Amazon: Shelter From The Storm and Spell of Appalachia.



~~~~

SweetWitch is my best friend in all of LitDom, notwithstanding our CURRENT FEUD, and she can post in any thread of mine any time the mood strikes her.
~Marsh Alien
Welcome to a world of unbridled sensuality, where the only restrictions are from insufficient imagination. A world of fantastic sexual delights and overwhelming passions.
You're about to enter--The Naked Party Zone.
~TE999
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2013, 12:13 AM   #17
NekoParks
Able to Multiple Sarcasm
 
NekoParks's Avatar
 
NekoParks is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: With Prof. Plum in the library with some rope....
Posts: 2,114
Links for Salvation Army & Red Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyc_willie View Post
It is indeed. Although it's hard to tell someone that in the middle of grief.

My wife and I didn't hesitate to place a donation this afternoon at our HEB. They actually had a little booth there for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetWitch View Post
The company is setting things in motion for them and offering assistance, but they're also asking for donations. Payday is tomorrow. I'll being forking over a chunk.
Molly and Slyc, thank you so much for helping out. I've donated to the Salvation Army and Red Cross today. Here are some helpful links I found on the web today:

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013...w-you-can-help

https://www.redcross.org/donate/inde...emId=prod10002

http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/www_usn_2.nsf


Also, there are blood drives all over my area of Texas. I signed up to donate at a church around the corner from me this weekend. Our local hospitals said on the news that they are able to meet their blood needs for now, but if people could donate in the next week or so would help replenish the blood supply--that is if you are able to donate. Many people can't and that's fine too.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2013, 12:30 AM   #18
slyc_willie
Captain Crash
 
slyc_willie's Avatar
 
slyc_willie is offline
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the flesh
Posts: 17,307
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoParks View Post
Molly and Slyc, thank you so much for helping out. I've donated to the Salvation Army and Red Cross today. Here are some helpful links I found on the web today:

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013...w-you-can-help

https://www.redcross.org/donate/inde...emId=prod10002

http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/www_usn_2.nsf


Also, there are blood drives all over my area of Texas. I signed up to donate at a church around the corner from me this weekend. Our local hospitals said on the news that they are able to meet their blood needs for now, but if people could donate in the next week or so would help replenish the blood supply--that is if you are able to donate. Many people can't and that's fine too.
I honestly wish I could donate blood, but I am extremely hypercoagulant. If I were to give anyone blood, it would probably make matters much worse for them.

I'm happy for the donation my wife and I were able to give, though. This happened to occur right on payday, and all of our bills are up to date, so we indulged a little and sent $100 because we could.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #19
D_Lynn
Really Really Experienced
 
D_Lynn's Avatar
 
D_Lynn is offline
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoParks View Post
Molly and Slyc, thank you so much for helping out. I've donated to the Salvation Army and Red Cross today. Here are some helpful links I found on the web today:

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013...w-you-can-help

https://www.redcross.org/donate/inde...emId=prod10002

http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/www_usn_2.nsf


Also, there are blood drives all over my area of Texas. I signed up to donate at a church around the corner from me this weekend. Our local hospitals said on the news that they are able to meet their blood needs for now, but if people could donate in the next week or so would help replenish the blood supply--that is if you are able to donate. Many people can't and that's fine too.
I just got back in town and saw this on the news last night. It's just not that big of a story on the west coast, I guess, especially with the Boston drama.

My son just donated on Monday, but I'll see that my husband and I get out and do this today.

Thanks, Neko.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #20
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.
 
Bramblethorn's Avatar
 
Bramblethorn is offline
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Australia (occasionally USA)
Posts: 3,060
This doesn't sound good:

Quote:
The OSHA – the federal body tasked with making sure that working conditions comply with safety standards – has not visited the fertilizer factory for 28 years, despite the potentially hazardous nature of the chemicals stored there. On that visit, in 1985, it identified one serious and two other violations. The company was fined just $30... The OSHA covers 7 million worksites in the US but has just 2,000 inspectors nationwide. Under its current funding, it can only conduct 40,000 inspections every year.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #21
TxRad
Dirty Old Man
 
TxRad's Avatar
 
TxRad is offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 28,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramblethorn View Post
OSHA, now protecting it's third generation of stupid people.

There is not enough money in fertilizer plants for OSHA. They are up the oil and gas industries ass 24/7 at the present and have been for nearly 10 years now. Before that it was power plants.
__________________
New Story: Party Early 10/02/14 Romance Halloween Contest

New Story: Marley 08/21/14 Interracial Summer Lovin' Contest


Why yes, I am a dirty old man. Thanks for asking.

All Stories By TxRad
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #22
Saxon_Hart
WWJD for a Klondike Bar?
 
Saxon_Hart's Avatar
 
Saxon_Hart is offline
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Deep in the hart of Texas
Posts: 4,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRad View Post
OSHA, now protecting it's third generation of stupid people.

There is not enough money in fertilizer plants for OSHA. They are up the oil and gas industries ass 24/7 at the present and have been for nearly 10 years now. Before that it was power plants.
Of course I don't mind OSHA being all up in the refineries....I drive around every day hoping to high heaven that none of the many around here have an issue. Kinda spooky knowing all of the explosive power around here.
But OSHA does need to focus on other areas. They only hit the steel plants when someone gets mondo fucked up.
__________________
Yea though I walk through the Valley of The Shadow of Death I shall fear no evil, for I am the baddest motherfucker in the valley.

The only reason some people are alive is because it is illegal to kill them.

Why do you like playing around with my narrow scope of reality?.

Every day sends future to past. Every breath leaves me one less to my last.

"You are in more dire need of a blow job than any white man in history." - Robin Williams "Good Morning Vietnam"

We'll know for the first time, if we're evil or divine; We're the last in line.

You don't need luck when you don't give a fuck!!

Here is my "AH Profile"

Here is a link to my stories "Saxon's Shit"

See what I'm "up to" here.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #23
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.
 
Bramblethorn's Avatar
 
Bramblethorn is offline
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Australia (occasionally USA)
Posts: 3,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon_Hart View Post
Of course I don't mind OSHA being all up in the refineries....I drive around every day hoping to high heaven that none of the many around here have an issue. Kinda spooky knowing all of the explosive power around here.
But OSHA does need to focus on other areas. They only hit the steel plants when someone gets mondo fucked up.
Sounds like they just don't have the resourcing. The article I linked mentioned a total of 2000 inspectors (pre-sequester) for the whole USA. Taken per capita, I think that's roughly one-fifth the staffing levels for comparable agencies in .au.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #24
PayDay
unlabelable
 
PayDay's Avatar
 
PayDay is offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Your Mom's House
Posts: 3,075
Before you flip out, just wait, I mean very well.

Why isn't this getting the attention Boston or New Orleans or Columbine or Newtown?

Why is this being ignored? I understand that Texas takes care of their own, but kindness being rejected? Idon'tthinkso.

Also, it takes like over 1000 degree heat for an extended period of time to detonate fertilizer.

You basically need ammonium nitrate to detonate fertilizer, it is not the same thing.

You could use a barrel of diesel fuel, light the thing on fire, and the fertilizer still would not detonate.

It just doesn't make any sense.

Don't blame OSHA for anything but worker safety process. They are not responsible for testing the fertilizer.

This is sad I fell bad those in the Lone Star.
__________________
'As long as I'ma live, Ima live ill-lee goo.' - Mobb Deep.
Just Like Candy With A Razorblade. Now with more chew and moments.
Some people love a Cinderella. Now with number'd order.
What we know is not everything to know: Therefore, what we know is potentially nothing at all. 6 4 5 1
There is space available on the middle ground. Extras by Request. (2)
The Lost Story ... 08@ (probable cause )
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #25
SweetWitch
Green Goddess
 
SweetWitch's Avatar
 
SweetWitch is offline
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
Before you flip out, just wait, I mean very well.

Why isn't this getting the attention Boston or New Orleans or Columbine or Newtown?

Why is this being ignored? I understand that Texas takes care of their own, but kindness being rejected? Idon'tthinkso.

Also, it takes like over 1000 degree heat for an extended period of time to detonate fertilizer.

You basically need ammonium nitrate to detonate fertilizer, it is not the same thing.

You could use a barrel of diesel fuel, light the thing on fire, and the fertilizer still would not detonate.

It just doesn't make any sense.

Don't blame OSHA for anything but worker safety process. They are not responsible for testing the fertilizer.

This is sad I fell bad those in the Lone Star.
My understanding is (and there's no research in this, just what I remember from living on the farm) that ammonium nitrate is essentially only volatile in liquid form. When you throw water on it you get a discharge of dangerous gas and a huge kaboom. My concern is whether the volunteer firemen were given the proper training to deal with the incident in Texas. Without proper education, disaster can happen. I feel for them and I believe lessons can be learned here.
__________________

Out now, on eXcessica and in print on Amazon: Shelter From The Storm and Spell of Appalachia.



~~~~

SweetWitch is my best friend in all of LitDom, notwithstanding our CURRENT FEUD, and she can post in any thread of mine any time the mood strikes her.
~Marsh Alien
Welcome to a world of unbridled sensuality, where the only restrictions are from insufficient imagination. A world of fantastic sexual delights and overwhelming passions.
You're about to enter--The Naked Party Zone.
~TE999
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:20 PM.

Copyright 1998-2013 Literotica Online. Literotica is a registered trademark.