The Urban Photographer (Open)

.

Adrian saw the email early on Tuesday morning, as a naturally early riser, he often used the time for his own time before Gilly surfaced as late as possible for school.

He read it a couple of times, before he replied..

"Not sure what my plans are this weekend, as Gilly will be around. But sure I would love to meet up for coffee again.... What are your plans for the end of the week, The sunset last night was pretty spectacular, and the weather is only going to improve.

Peter..."

Moments later his tranquillity was disturbed by Gilly barging into the kitchen demanding breakfast.
 
Tuesday afternoon, Erin opened up her email, looking forward to a reply from Peter. Another smile crossed her face when she saw it.

'I agree! The sunset was absolutely amazing. I captured a few shots of it. I've attached a couple. The dog in one of them is my Zoe, I've had her nearly 10 years. Anyway, after I got my shots in, I just sat on the porch and watched, sipping coffee.

Speaking of, I'm free anytime from Friday afternoon through Saturday evening. Let me know what you think!'

~Erin
 
.

"Quite possibly, will let you know.....

Great shots.... but if you use Raw format, change the white balance to Tungsten, will make the sky a colder blue... greater contrast.

Peter"


On Thursday, the sunset was starting to look awesome....

Before He and Gilly left to capture it, he sent Erin an Email.

"Heading to Primrose Hill to catch the sunset with Gilly, hope youcan make it, Peter 07987654321"


He was wearing his typical cargo hiking shorts and Fleece as he set up his tripod, Gilly wore an off the shoulder thick jumper and black leggings...

They found a suitable place as they both set up their tripods and started to take photos, the sun was still high above the horizon, but the colours were breathtaking.
 
Erin was sitting on her porch again, her laptop on her knees, watching the sunset Peter had spoken of, when she got his email.

She didn't reply but saved his number in her phone. She had nothing else to do, so she quickly threw on a light jacket over a pair of denim shorts and a white sleeveless top and grabbed her camera and gear and packed it in her car.

On my way!

~E


She sent the quick text then drove to Primrose Hill. It wasn't far, so she wouldn't lose too much prime sunset time.

Peter and his daughter were already set up when she arrived. She gave them a small wave and a smile as she approached.
 
.


As they were setting up, Peter felt his pocket vibrate. He reached for his mobile, and saw the text from an unrecognised number.

'On my Way'

"shes coming!" Peter told Gilly, as tey set up their gear. It wasn't long before they were taking photos, before he heard her voice behind him as she approached.

"Hi Erin, and glad you could make it. This is Gillian, or Gilly, my daughter. Gilly, this is Erin."

They chatted briefly before Peter became to focused on the sunset, taking various timed exposures as the sun disappeared behind the horizon, plunging the world into a twilight of shadows with a lovely fiery sky.
 
Erin set up her tripod as the three chatted for a little while. She liked Gilly and admired the interaction between Peter and his daughter. They seemed really close and Gilly had already learned a lot from her father.

As Peter began to take photos, Erin did the same but continued talking with Gilly. The girl was smart and incredibly mature for her age and Erin enjoyed their conversation.

Eventually though, all three fell into an almost reverent silence, as they worked. As the sun sank lower in the sky, Erin looked over at Peter.

"Do you mind if I get a shot of you and Gilly over there with the sunset backdrop?" She asked.
 
.

Peter watched Erin and Gilly from the corner of his eye, first impressions was that they seemed to get on, not sure why that was important he asked himself. Buth he continued to take photos, ubtill Peter was sun set exhausted.

["Do you mind if I get a shot of you and Gilly over there with the sunset backdrop?" She asked.

"Sure , I don't see why not?"

Peter and Gilly hugged each other agaisnt the fiery red backdrop, the fill in flash lighting the foreground of their faces.

"Should I take a photo of you two wannabe lovers?" Gilly teased.
 
The photo of Peter and his daughter was perfect. Erin thought it captured well their love for one another. She caught herself admiring Peter's almost boyish smile and the spattering of gray in his hair. So when the two came back and Gilly offered to take a picture of the "wannabe lovers," she couldn't hide the deep blush that set in her cheeks.

Thankfully, it was nearly dark so hopefully it wasn't so obvious. Instead, she just laughed it off. "Your kid's a joker, huh?" she quipped to Peter. She didn't see a reason why they shouldn't let Gilly take their photo. So she shrugged a little.

"But why not? Let's let the girl take the shot." She said, walking further up the hill.
 
.

Gilly smiled at Erin's comment, had she touched a nerve she thought to her self.

Moments later she got the two adults to stop.

"And Erin, please remove your Denim jacket, ..."

"Yes that's better.... It isnt too cold..."

Gilly started to compose the shot...

"Stand a tad closer please... And Dad, Pull Erin's top open slightly, lets see a hint of bra ......"

"Perfect"

Gilly's flash fired several times in quick succession, before she lowered the camera..


"Perfect," as she offered Erin the screen.

"Tea anyone? My chore.", her voice was full of childhood mischief
 
Erin stood beside Peter, his arm moving around her at Gilly's direction. His fingers touched her shoulder lightly, his thumb brushing her top aside just slightly. Her skin tingled where he touched.

One thing Erin had learned about Gilly was that she had a bit of mischievousness to her. She wondered if she'd gotten that from her father.

So far, she and Peter had only been two strangers discussing their mutual interests. After all, he was quite a bit older, had a teenage daughter, and was a widower. Nothing more than potential friendship had even occurred to her.

It seemed to have occurred to Gilly however. Or maybe she just enjoyed teasing.

She glanced at Peter when Gilly offered tea. "Um...sure. Tea sounds good."
 
.

Peter felt a tad weird as Gilly started to direct Erin and himself.

"Move Closer" she asked in a clear, almost shouting voice.

"Move her neck, make her show a bit of bra!"

Peter complied with his daughters request, as he 'asked permission' with his eyes, fortunately Erin was being a tad of a sport. But he felt weird, none the less touching her on her shoulder.

But finally the moment was over, as they saw the photographs, which certainly suggested more than was there. He had only met Erin the previous weekend, and already Gilly was match making, as usual.

"Tea anyone? My chore." offered his daughter.

Erin seemed keen, and so they collapsed their gear, and walked back to the cars, before a brief discussion, and agreeing that Gilly should go with Erin, to make travelling in convoy easier.

Alone in his car, he waited for Erin to start moving, and then he headed home.
 
Erin slammed the trunk down on her car and got inside with Gilly.

"So, you're pretty good." She said as she started driving, following Peter. "Guess your dad passed on his knowledge and passion, huh?"

Gilly nodded. "Yeah, he did. Glad he's got someone he can pass on his other passions to as well." She said with a wink.

"Gilly! I just met your father! It's nothing like that!" Erin insisted, though she blushed.

"Come on, Erin. My dad needs to get laid and you're pretty. And I can tell he likes you." Gilly continued.

Erin laughed. "We have a few things in common, but trust me, your dad isn't interested in me like that."

Gilly shook her head. "Yeah we'll see." She had a knowing smirk on her face.

She let up though and the conversation turned to more general subjects as they finished the drive, finally arriving at her home with Peter.

Erin got out and allowed Gilly to lead her into the house.

"Ok...you two chill on the couch and I'll go make the tea." Gilly directed, pushing them both toward the living room.
 
.

Peter let the two ladies into his abode, just before Gilly efffectively instructed them into the lounge.

Petrr offered Erin an arm chair, wanting her to have the security of sitting alone. He put some mellow music on the stereo as Erin sat down.

He popped into the kitchen, checking on Gilly.

"Thanks for making the tea, much appreciated, but ease of the match making incase you scare Erin away!"

Peter returned to the livingroom, and sat on the corner of the sofa.

"So what do you do career wise Erin?" Peter asked, suddenly feeling rather self counscious.
 
Erin settled into an armchair, looking around the room as she waited on Peter to return. Her eyes fell on a picture over the mantle. Peter, a younger Gilly, and a beautiful woman she could only assume was his wife. She was wondering how she'd passed and how long ago it was when Peter returned.

"So what do you do career wise Erin?" He asked her as he sat on the sofa. Erin settled back, crossing her legs and turning her attention to Peter.

"Currently, I manage a small, locally owned bookstore downtown, Turn the Page. I enjoy it, reading is another hobby of mine. And the hours allow me plenty of time to pursue other interests. What about you?"
 
.

"Currently, I manage a small, locally owned bookstore downtown, Turn the Page. I enjoy it, reading is another hobby of mine. And the hours allow me plenty of time to pursue other interests. What about you?"

As Adrian re-entered the living room, he saw Erin look at a couple of family photos...

"That's Jane, my wife... Pretty little thing... a great woman... and a good lover..."

He sighed briefly before answering her question.

"I 'm a research scientist, or rather a technician at a research lab.... And a reader.... I don't seem to have the time to read these days - I don't read as much as I did in my 20s, that is for sure"

He looked at her in her top and denim shorts, suddenly seeing her in a slightly different light than he had done so.

They chatted about work for a while, before Gilly waltzed into the room, carrying a tray and a pot of tea, together with mugs and milk.

"I assume you're sweet enough Erin?" Gilly asked as she put the tray down.
 
Erin wanted to ask more about Peter's wife, but decided against it and they discussed work instead until Gilly popped back in with the tea.

She sat the tray down and poured the cups of tea. "I assume you're sweet enough Erin?" she said with a small wink.

"Yeah, but it could never hurt to be sweeter." She said with a slight smile, tossing a spoon of sugar into her cup. She added a little milk and stirred before she tasted it.

"You make good tea, Gilly." She said. "It's delicious. Thank you."
 
.

"Thank you Erin" Gilly replied smiling.

She poured her father and her self a mug before sitting on the sofa and nudged up to him, in a fatherly/daughter snuggle.

The room descended briefly into a quietness, just Diana Krell's voice filling the room.

Gilly wanted to be mischievous, but her father had warned her not to push he rluck and embarrass their guest.

"So how long have you been into photography?" Gilly asked, as shes tood up and turned the Apple TV on, and soon the TV scren had a slide show of general photographs.
 
Erin turned her attention toward the screen as Gilly turned on the tv. She watched the photographs appear before speaking.

"Well, I've always found it interesting, but I didn't really get started as a serious hobby until about 3 years ago. My aunt gave me an old camera of hers and taught me all that she knew. But most of my life I've been fascinated by capturing perfect moments and scenes and bringing out their true beauty."

She sipped her tea and turned back to Gilly. "So did your dad get you started from the cradle or did your interest develop more recently?"
 
.

"So did your dad get you started from the cradle or did your interest develop more recently?"

Gilly smiled as she looked at Erin, her legs as she stretched out on the arm chair.

"A bit of both I guess. Dad has always been into photography as much as i remember, and so he has encouraged me. But I think it was school, starting Media studies; it has a photography element and that has given me a major interest I guess?"


She turned round and kissed him before she continued.. "But he has never forced it on me, and when I did start to show a real interest, he was supportive, but also, for the most part stood back and let college do the tutoring.".


Peter just listend as the two girls chated, ready to interject if requiroed to do so.
 
"Well that's really good. It's awesome that you have such a supportive dad. You two must be really close." Erin smiled.

The three of them chatted a little while longer until finally, Gilly glanced at the clock and stood up. "Oh...I should be getting to bed. It's late and I have school tomorrow. Very nice to meet you, Erin. I hope to see you again soon."

Gilly hugged her dad, kissing his cheek, then hurried to her bedroom. "You two have fun!" She called back before she closed her door.

Erin laughed. "Does she normally observe a proper bedtime?"
 
.

"Does she normally observe a proper bedtime?"


Gilly leant over the stairs..

"I heard that Erin!" she stated giggling.... "Tell me have you ever modelled for anyone?"
 
Erin laughed again at Gilly's question.

"No..No I've never even considered it." She told the girl.

Gilly grinned. "Well...you should. You have killer legs. Don't you think so, Dad?" She winked but moved on. "I have a photo assignment to complete for college called 'A day in the life' I was wondering if I could take some of you at work or something?"

Erin blushed, pulling at the hem of her shorts subconsciously. "Well...I don't see why not. Did you wanna come by my bookstore sometime this week?"
 
Last edited:
.

"Well...I don't see why not. Did you wanna come by my bookstore sometime this week?"

"Sure" Gilly replied, "Email us what a good time is, I sense I am overstaying my welcome!"

Peter looked at Erin and smiled as she disappeared behind the closed door....

"My apologies - she seems to have completely the wrong end of the stick.. typical teenager, because two people start talking and develop the possible beginnings of a friendship, they assume it is a case of love set and marriage!"

As he finished talking, he refilled his own cup of tea before indicating whether he should refill her cup as well.
 
Erin smiled politely. "No need to apologize. She's a sweet girl. I'm sure she just wants her dad to be happy again."

She nodded when he offered to refill her cup. "Thank you. I hope I'm not prying too much and if I am, please feel free to tell me. But...can you tell me more about your wife? When did she pass? Were she and Gilly close?"
 
.

Peter smiled, it was a question that he was anticipating. Whilst he had not seen Erin as a partner, as a date, even if they became friends, she would ask at some point.

"Jane became another C statistic of sorts though it wasn't the cancer that killed her, but the immune suppression caused by her drugs and a mixture of infections. "

PEter inhaled. "Gilly was 9 when she finally died and yes she was close. I forgave a significant part of my career to devote time to Gillian, and to bring her up with the assistance of my sister and Jane's. Some things need a woman's touch"

He smiled..... "Do you have any siblings?" he leant forward and reached for his mug and sipped his tea.
 
Back
Top