The Urban Photographer (Open)

CFMB_fan

Literotica Guru

OOC:

I envisage this to be a photographer based story - but not necessary a photographer and a model. Could be two photographers - or some one wanting to learn a few tricks of the trade. Please PM me with your ideas. Adrian

The Urban Photographer

Name: Peter
Build, tall, the average middle class guy, fitish but eats well
Hair: brown, receding
Eyes: Blue
Matrimonial Status: Widower, daughter in her teens

The sky was dark, moody; as the summer thunderclouds gathered. In between shone bright beams of sunlight, dancing on the skyline with a chequered pattern of light and dark.

It was still hot and muggy, despite the clouds, and the freshening breeze. The lighting conditions were dramatic, making a plain urban landscape full of bright colours, and dark shadows.

Peter composed the photo, a series of arches fading into the distance under the viaduct, the intense colours of the red, and purple bricks, the harsh contrast of the graffiti art.

The shutter fired as he held his breath, to minimise camera shake. A former soldier, he always fired his camera as he fired is rifle, to ensure a sharp, in focus photo as possible. He wanted depth of field, with that came slower shutter speeds.

Unaware that he was being watched, Adrian moved position, before bringing the eyepiece to his eye, composing for another shot. He moved around the arches, then the metal structs of the steel rail bridge, looking for those once in a million compositions, a mixture of the right lighting conditions, and of course being in the right place at the right time.

The sky echoed with a low deep rumble of distant thunder, before a train passed over head, the sound of steel against steel. He saw her again, as he composed his shot, holding is breath as he took five successive shots, for an HDR composition.

He heard the crunch of rubber soles against gravel as his shutter finished, and the soft voice of a female.

He turned over his shoulder, looking at the source of the voice.

Last edited:
Name: Erin
Build: 5'4, toned, petite frame w/ curvy hips, modest chest
Hair: Dark brown, short and wavy
Eyes: Brown, w/ dark framed glasses
Matrimonial Status: Single, recently disengaged

Erin sat on a bench, her camera around her neck, watching the man a few yards away as he constructed and snapped shot after shot. She'd been watching him for a while now and not for the first time. She'd seen the man here before on a few other occasions. It was one of her favorite locations to shoot and appeared to be his as well.

Erin considered herself an amateur photographer. Even an amateur amateur. She hadn't taken any classes or joined any interest groups. For the last several years, she had only studied on her own and improved her technique through experience. But the man she watched now seemed to be much more knowledgeable and she admired the way he quickly set up the shot and snapped it as if he were a professional photographer.

She'd wanted to approach him the past few times she'd watched him, but was too shy to say anything. She didn't know many others that held the same interests she did and wanted to share her love of the subject and maybe get some pointers. But what if he had no interest in petty newbies?

She glanced up at the low roll of thunder in the distance. This type of weather always energized her. It held the perfect background and lighting for edgy and moody shots. Maybe it was that energy that led her to approach the man.

Erin stood from her seat and walked toward him slowly, her boots crunching along the gravel. She cleared her throat.

"Excuse me?" She said softly and the man turned to look in her direction.

"Hi." She said, a little sheepishly, walking closer. "I'm sorry to bother you. My name is Erin and I was just admiring your work. I've seen you here before, is this one of your favorite places too?"

Peter turnedround towards the soft voice. It sounded genuine. The owner of the voice was relatively petite comparedto his tall broad frame. His first impression was pretty, not on a striking manner but the prettygal next door

"Hi Erin lovely to meet you..... yes I never tire of these streets, this urban landscape.... Oh and I'm Peter, lovely to meet you."

He starts to offer his hand but remembers that less required for a female, but continues none the less. He could see her camera but not the brand but it could be a Nikon.

Erin shook the man's hand firmly, his large one almost completely encasing her smaller one.

"Nice to meet you as well, Peter." She said with a smile. "I hope I'm not interrupting you. I have seen you here before and I don't mean to sound creepy, but I enjoy watching you work. So I wanted to at least say hello. It's not often I meet someone out that shares my passion like you seem to."

Erin looked out over the distance, watching the storm clouds gather more closely. The whole area seemed to grow darker. "I like the added mood of the storm too. I like the tone it sets with these kind of scenes. Do you agree?"

Peter smiled. Her comments about the weather, the clouds and the sun adding to the moody nature was exactly his cup of tea.

"Yes, these scenes change with the light, always changing the mood, the atmosphere....."

He paused as he met her eyes with his. "Well I hope that I can continue to inspire.....
Have you had your camera for long? "

As he asked the question, he knelt, his shorts allowing his well defined muscles of his calfs to be seen as he held his breath, taking 5 photos at once, ready for HDR. The scene was of a red bricked walk, covered with brightly coloured graffiti writing and art.

His photos finished he stood back up turning to face Erin again, smiling.

Last edited:
Erin's eyes followed Peter as he knelt, taking in the way his calf muscles flexed as he lowered himself. She admired how he seemed to meld into the perfect shot so easily.

"Um, I've actually only had this one about a year." She held up her camera, a Nikon SLR. "I've only been really serious about it for a couple years. While I saved up for this one, I used an old Canon my aunt loaned me. Kinda ancient but it did the trick for someone just starting out."

When he stood back up, she smiled. "Nice scene."

Peter struggled slightly to stand up, his age and trouble some knee starting to affect his mobility at times.

He turned to Erin, and showed her the basic shot.

"Nice scene." she offered.

"Thank you" he replied, "It would be great for a moody portrait as well...." as he spoke he met her eyes to see her response. "Not that I am asking you." he hasted to add

He sighed before continuing "I do very little portraiture work, but some times I do think these arches, the graffiti, the man made scenes would suit a certain style of portrait work perfectly..."

Peter changed track, "Well I'm a Nikon guy, so if you have any questions just ask.... I'm sure you have watched a few you-tube vids on the camera?"

He smiled as he spoke in a friendly open manner.

Erin looked around as the man gestured to the different scenes around them, speaking of how well he thought they'd work for portraits.

"Yeah, I can see that." She agreed. "It would be a fantastic backdrop, with the models in different types of street clothing. Or...maybe it'd even be interesting to have them in completely contrasting styles. Like a wedding photo in front of the graffiti, or a suit and tie on the rails. That's why I like it here. There is so much to play with."

She smiled when Peter changed topics back to her camera. "Yeah, I've watched a few videos, had a couple lessons from a friend, but mostly, I've figured out it's features on my own. I guess I haven't been doing this long enough to be any 'type' of girl, but I am really attached to this one so far." She paused and watched for a moment as the storm clouds continued to breeze closer.

"So, do you just do this for your own hobby or do you sell any of your things?" She asked him, holding out her hand palm up as she felt the first few light drops of rain.

"So, do you just do this for your own hobby or do you sell any of your things?"

"Oh purely for pleasure though I do have some prints for sale in a local artwork and Print shop, as well as the local coffee house... Boydens...."

He also felt the droplets of rain.....

"Talking of which, would you fancy a coffee?"

Peter collected his camera bag and put it back onto his shoulders as he stepped into the arch he was just taking a photo of, the large graffiti writing even closer....

"Could I trouble you to stand there please?" . As he spoke he raised his camera, demonstrating his intent to take a quick photo of her

"Oh purely for pleasure though I do have some prints for sale in a local artwork and Print shop, as well as the local coffee house... Boydens...." Peter told her.

Erin brightened. "Oh! Yeah, I think I've seen some of your work. I admire it every time I go in there." She nodded in response to his invitation. "I'd love to get coffee and pick your brain a little more."

She looked up as he stepped into the arch and held his camera up in a gesture. "Oh, um yeah sure!" She hadn't been prepared to have him photograph her, but there were usually no better pictures than spur of the moment.

Erin sat the rest of her things down and took his place under the arch. She leaned against the edge, putting on her best natural face, staring off into the distance.

As Erin smiled and put her things down, Peter directed Erin exactly where he wanted her, against eh wall with some graffiti between the lens and Erin. He himself also leant against the wall.

He composed the shot and pressed the shutter, taking several photos in quick succession. He re-composed and soon had taken 5 or 6 different poses, 3 or 4 photos of each pose.

"Thank you Erin.... Coffee?"

Peter collected his stuff, and lead the way to Boydens as they made small talk, where they was greeted by Ben, the owner and Charlotte the chief barista girl.

Charlotte was flaunting her toned body again as she wore a brown and orange patchwork halter-neck dress with an asymmetrical skirt. As Charlotte leant forward, it was clear she as not wearing a bra of any form.

"What can I get you?" Charlotte inquired.

"An Americano please and?" Peter looked at Erin.

Erin had rarely been the subject of such portraiture. It was a different experience being on the other side of the camera, but she enjoyed it very much. When he thanked her for posing, she made sure to thank him for the opportunity.

They made their way to the coffee shop, arriving just as it began to rain. Erin wasn't a daily regular, but she came frequently enough to recognize Ben and Charlotte. Charlotte had a fit and curvy body that she didn't mind showing off. Especially for the male customers.

Erin smirked as she watched the girl lean over the counter to take Peter's order, exposing an enticing amount of cleavage. The girl predictably straightened up as Erin stepped forward for her order.

"I'll have a mocha, please."

Peter looked for a table and headed over there knowing ERin was behind him pretty much. He retrieved his small MacPro from the bag and placed it on the table booting it up. Moment slater he was sittingbeind it, uploading the photos from the memory card into Lightroom; talking to Erin about work flows.

Soon he had the portraits of Erin up in the software, turning the laptop so that they could both see the screen as he started to amend, edit the photos of Erin...

Moments later there was a photo of Erin's face close tot he brick wall, looking over the photographer's shoulder as he also leant to the wall taking a slightly unusual perspective of her

Similar to

114.jpg

Erin listened closely as Peter spoke, taking in all the information he shared with her. It was fascinating, watching him work and edit her photos. And the end result was amazing.

"Wow..." She breathed. "That's an excellent shot." She was clearly impressed. She sipped her coffee as he worked on a couple more photos, making suggestions here and there. They talked mostly shop, and she was appreciative of the pointers Peter was able to give her. It felt nice to talk with someone that shared her passion and seemed to be more than willing to offer advice to help her improve.

"I'd like a print of a couple of these, if you don't mind." She said when he'd finished. "They're incredible."

"I'd like a print of a couple of these, if you don't mind." She said when he'd finished. "They're incredible."

Peter smiled as he turned to face her...

"Of course.... happy to email them to you now....."

He starts to export the photos and soon opens up a Google email box....

"Here please enter your email address?"

As he sipped his coffee, and watched her fingers enter her address, he noticed how delicate they looked and smiled.

"Thank you so much!" She smiled gratefully as he turned his computer to her to enter her email address.

She quickly typed it in and turned the Macbook back to Peter. "You should save me to your contacts." She told him. "I'd like to share some of my stuff with you, too. Maybe get your opinions."

As she looked over at him, she was suddenly struck by the simplicity yet heartiness of the scene. Behind his head in the distance was the coffee shop logo, a shelf of books, and a wall with partially peeling paint. The gray sky and pouring rain could be seen through a small window. Peter himself was staring at his computer screen, camera to one side, working intently. A frown of concentration on his face. Sure, at the moment, he was probably just sending her photos, but she didn't want to miss the opportunity none-the-less.

She lifted her camera, moving to set up the shot, then snapped a few quick ones of Peter and the scene. Then, she sat her camera down.

"I'm sorry." She said, a little sheepishly when he looked up at her. "I should have asked, but I didn't want to ruin the moment."

"I should have asked, but I didn't want to ruin the moment."

"Not a problem, but beware your insurance is void taking photos of grumpy old men like me"

He smiled as he sipped his coffee

"I would love to see the finished results, it isn't often that I have my photo taken unless I'm with Gilly....."

He paused

"Anyway I've sent you those photos as you requested, and sure i'd love to see your work."

"But as opposed to critique - no I won't do that. If you like your finished photo, then that is what counts..... If you want my advice how I would tinker with it, well that is something else...... hope I'm making sense?"

He smiled as he sipped his coffee, tilting the cup to extract the last drop of liquid....

"You don't seem too grumpy to me." She laughed at his comment. "Or old." She added quickly with a grin.

"I'll play around with these and send you what I come up with. You can give me your opinions, if you'd like. I understand you don't want to infringe upon what makes my style my own. But it's nice to share with someone that gets my interests." She leaned back in her seat, finishing the last of her coffee as well.

"Is Gilly your wife or...?" She asked carefully, glancing down at his hands.

He smiled as she seemed to appreciate his long winding way of saying he will never critique a photo.

"Is Gilly your wife or...?" as she looked at his finger; and saw the gold band ring.

"No, Gillian is my daughter, and she is the typical late teenager..... As to my wife, she is waiting patiently for me to join her over on the other side...." His voice was quiet but not necessary full of self pity.

Peter was over the death of his wife, another cancer statistic.

"But would love to see those photos and your take on them."

He caught the attention of Charlotte....

"Anything else before I pay the bill Erin?"

Last edited:
"Oh..." Erin said softly. "I'm sorry." She had no idea how long ago he'd lost his wife or if she'd unintentionally hit a sore spot. But he didn't seem to be upset by her question. He answered and moved on as if it were any other.

"Anything else before I pay the bill Erin?" He asked her. Erin shook her head. "No, but thank you so much. Next time is my treat." She promised. She glanced up as Charlotte came to their table with the bill, delivering the check to Peter with a flighty, "Here ya go, sweetie!"

After the bill had been paid, the two of them gathered their things and headed back out. The rain had mostly cleared the skies were darkening with the impending evening.

"Thanks for the coffee, Peter." Erin said as they walked back toward where they'd parked their cars. "And thanks for the conversations and the photos. It was so nice meeting you. Maybe we can do it again sometime?" She asked, as she reached her car.

"Maybe we can do it again sometime?"

"Sure, I'd like that.... though a word of caution, I can be a tad antisocial when I am out taking photos, but I'll guess you will be busy looking for your own shoots...."

He paused as he smiled...

"I'll look forward to seeing your photos - I'll send you a link to my Flickr Page as well... Safe trip home!"

"Of course." She agreed. "I totally understand. I'm the same way." She opened her door and turned back to him.

"I'll look forward to seeing your photos - I'll send you a link to my Flickr Page as well... Safe trip home!" Peter was saying with a friendly smile.

"Thanks. I would like that. And you drive safely as well. Have a good evening." She gave him a small wave as she got into her car.

As soon as she got home that evening, Erin opened up her own lap top. She uploaded the pictures she'd taken and tinkered with them until they were what she wanted.

She opened the email Peter had sent her, and saved the photos. She would make prints of them later. She replied to the email with another thank you and sent him the photos she'd made of him. She also sent a link to her own Flickr page.

As Peter left the coffee house mid-afternoon, he went home via a detour to collect Gilly from her sleep over with her good friend. Sunday afternoon was 'their' time, and so it wasn't until mid evening that he got time to check his email

He saw the photos that Erin took, and showed them t Gilly whose eyes lit up..

"Don't often to get a portrait of you working Daddy!"

He changed his avatar on FLickr to one of the new photos before he emailed her back

"Hi Erin

Many thanks for your photos, capturing at work.... Though I am not found of me poking my tongue out as I concentrate!! Here is my Flickr, and please keep in touch, hope to see you soon?

Peter."

He and Gilly spent some time browsing her Flickr account before turning the lap top off, and got themselves ready for the Monday morning.

Erin didn't get a chance to check her email again until after work on Monday afternoon.

She worked a 9-5 as a manager at a local bookstore. She liked her job. It paid the bills and supported her photography hobby. Plus, she enjoyed reading and the employee discount was conducive to that interest as well.

She smiled as she read his reply, then browsed his Flickr page. She was still in the process of building up her own. In contrast, she could have spent hours on Peter's.

There were a few photos of a pretty young girl, that by her similar features to his, she could only assume were of his daughter.

Finally, she replied to his email.

'My pleasure! I happen to think that tongue is what made the photo! :) I very much enjoyed meeting you. Maybe we could get coffee again, or otherwise meet up this weekend if you're free? Hope you're having a good day!'

~Erin

Back