Seeking an editor for what may be a book

Hi all, I've spent the last few months writing and re-writing a very long story but I'd like an editor to look it over for me.

To outline the story, it contains graphic violence and graphic male/female, lesbian 3some and 4some scenes though there is no sexual violence in it.

At this point in time the word count for this story is over 200,000 words.

I feel it needs padding in places and perhaps the sexual scenes beefing up a little more.

If you're an editor and interested I'd like to hear from you.

Please, in spite of my user name I'm not "up for it" so no sex pests please.

Thanks

Vicky

Hi all, I've spent the last few months writing and re-writing a very long story but I'd like an editor to look it over for me.

To outline the story, it contains graphic violence and graphic male/female, lesbian 3some and 4some scenes though there is no sexual violence in it.

At this point in time the word count for this story is over 200,000 words.

I feel it needs padding in places and perhaps the sexual scenes beefing up a little more.

If you're an editor and interested I'd like to hear from you.

Please, in spite of my user name I'm not "up for it" so no sex pests please.

Thanks

Vicky

At 200k, it may need less padding. Know what I mean? But writing is all about getting it all down, then revising it later. My advice would be learn how to edit your own work but have a group of trusted pre-readers for feedback.

At 200k, it may need less padding. Know what I mean? But writing is all about getting it all down, then revising it later. My advice would be learn how to edit your own work but have a group of trusted pre-readers for feedback.

No, I think it actually needs more padding for character development and one or two other things. The idea is to put the reader there on the ground and absorb them into it.

At this point the 'book' isn't actually finished yet and has possibly another 3 or 4 chapters to go so it is a work in progress.

The whole thing spans 7 to 10 years in all so there's is quite a substantial story there.

No, I think it actually needs more padding for character development and one or two other things. The idea is to put the reader there on the ground and absorb them into it.

At this point the 'book' isn't actually finished yet and has possibly another 3 or 4 chapters to go so it is a work in progress.

The whole thing spans 7 to 10 years in all so there's is quite a substantial story there.

I see. Makes sense, then...but getting feedback from trusted readers along with putting it aside for a time, then going through it with fresh eyes, will help in revisions. Keep in mind, nothing wrong with having a professional editor give you input. But I see so many "writers" here looking for editors without even knowing how to edit their own work.

This has been a work in progress for about 5 or 6 years now. Originally it started off as something like 80 or 90 A4 Word doc pages and is now almost 500 pages long. I've only just come back to it after maybe 18 months and it's one of those things that seems to be writing itself.

As for the editing, my biggest concern is:

Are the sex scenes enough to be realistic?
Do they go on too long?
Are they too short?
Do they have enough detail?
Do they have too much detail?

I'd also like a fresh pair of independent eyes take a look at the character development to see if it's enough, needs winding back a bit or progressing a little.

I'm happy with the structure and story line but it's the 'little things' I could use input on, and crucially making sure the characters dialogue does actually make them speak in character. Making characters talk has always been a bit of a challenge for me.

you have no idea the restraint I'm showing by NOT pm'ing you (when a someone says don't do this, it's so tempting to do it)

So erm. this story. er are there any taster bits that you've published?

(I'm going to guess you're married?)

If you're an editor and would want to see if the story appeals and think you can do something then I don't mind.

Those who have contacted me expressing an interest have been Emailed the first chapter which I think is very flat so it needs work. Based on what comes back from that I'll make a decision who I'd like to continue with.

If they're genuine and have an interest the editing will come back probably still needing work but better than it is at the moment, if it isn't it'll come back as a piece of crap and I won't continue with that person.

The PM trolls and those thinking I'm going to help them get off need not bother as it won't happen. They have the rest of the forum and the rest of that site to help them out with that.

And yes I am married, very happily married to a wonderful man who sets a bench mark nobody else can compete with.

This has been a work in progress for about 5 or 6 years now. Originally it started off as something like 80 or 90 A4 Word doc pages and is now almost 500 pages long. I've only just come back to it after maybe 18 months and it's one of those things that seems to be writing itself.

As for the editing, my biggest concern is:

Are the sex scenes enough to be realistic?
Do they go on too long?
Are they too short?
Do they have enough detail?
Do they have too much detail?

I'd also like a fresh pair of independent eyes take a look at the character development to see if it's enough, needs winding back a bit or progressing a little.

I'm happy with the structure and story line but it's the 'little things' I could use input on, and crucially making sure the characters dialogue does actually make them speak in character. Making characters talk has always been a bit of a challenge for me.

I understand. I have 620+ manuscript from years ago that needs to be trimmed down. I'd say, without even looking at it, that you'll be hard pressed to have an erotica novel that long being published unless you'll self publish it. 500 plus pages is probably too long for that kinda thing. But that's just my opinion.

Let me ask you this...look at your work as objectively as you can...and then answer your questions. Or...take a favorite author and look at how they do it. Know what I mean?

Let me ask you this...look at your work as objectively as you can...and then answer your questions. Or...take a favorite author and look at how they do it. Know what I mean?

The problem I have, (not the only one but the main one), is I know what turns me on, I know what I like and getting the opinions of trusted friends and my hubby all say I should actually finish it and see if I can get it published.

But then there's a degree of biased there because of who they are to me although one or two have shown surprise at the sex scenes and didn't know I was so "kinky"

From personal experience, a 1,000 page novel isn't unusual for me to read and the bulk of those books I've had recommended to me by friends and associates so I know there are people out there who have the attention span for such a read.

Those that don't, well sorry but they're the ones missing out. I suspect there's also a section of readers that will skim the "highlights" and probably sit there reading only the sex scenes while dismissing the overall story.

The problem I have, (not the only one but the main one), is I know what turns me on, I know what I like and getting the opinions of trusted friends and my hubby all say I should actually finish it and see if I can get it published.

But then there's a degree of biased there because of who they are to me although one or two have shown surprise at the sex scenes and didn't know I was so "kinky"

From personal experience, a 1,000 page novel isn't unusual for me to read and the bulk of those books I've had recommended to me by friends and associates so I know there are people out there who have the attention span for such a read.

Those that don't, well sorry but they're the ones missing out. I suspect there's also a section of readers that will skim the "highlights" and probably sit there reading only the sex scenes while dismissing the overall story.

Yes, but your close friends and hubby are not objective enough...unless they are serious readers and writers. And 1000 page books are rare and generally do not sell, nor will most publishers touch those...unless you break it out into multiple books, like a trilogy.

Yes, but your close friends and hubby are not objective enough...unless they are serious readers and writers.

That's the point I was making when I said they are biased.

And 1000 page books are rare and generally do not sell, nor will most publishers touch those...unless you break it out into multiple books, like a trilogy.

That may be a way forwards but then it would need a re-write to leave cliff hangers.

As it stands I'll keep it as a whole book and see how it goes, the first thing to do is get it finished then edited I think.

That's the point I was making when I said they are biased.

That may be a way forwards but then it would need a re-write to leave cliff hangers.

As it stands I'll keep it as a whole book and see how it goes, the first thing to do is get it finished then edited I think.

Oh, sorry...missed your biased comment. And I'm just offering my advice based on 30 years of writing and having been published since the late 90's. I'm still growing and developing as a writer. Just trying to help and I wish you the best. Hit me up anytime. :)

A book? This is for something to be posted to Literotica, right? This isn't legitimately a place for you to find a free edit for a book you want to publish elsewhere.

Back