What gives with the 'Favorite' / 'Unfavorite' Crew?

image.php

I kinda wish that when people were done with Literotica... or if they didn't view the site for six months, that all of their favorites would go away. A lot of people on the top 250 list have been here for years. They have favorites accrued from all sorts of people who aren't even here anymore. And even if no one ever reads their stuff again, they still have those favorites. It's really hard to carve yourself a niche up there…

Here’s the list of the Top 25 “Most Favorited” as of April 2008. As you can see the vote totals back then were miniscule compared to today. It was hard work to get “favorited” by anyone back then. Vote totals only started exploding in 2010 and 2011 and it has allowed relative newcomers (ie JazCulen, silkstocking and dr wolf) to quickly rise up the list (somewhat belying your argument).

For your information the following authors have been listed as #1 “most favorited” over the last 7 or 8 years: rgjohn, sarahhh, dk, sk, slickman, ManyFeathers, BarondeSade, and Goldeniangel. Sarahhh had two runs at the top and has the most weeks as #1.

By the way – does anyone know what happened to the BarondeSade? He’s disappeared from the top list and all his stories seem to have vanished.

Serena Kitten 764
Goldeniangel 703
sarahhh 586
Slickman 556
rgjohn 474
TryAnything 466
wishfulthinking 434
BarondeSade 389
youbadboy 385
bluedragonauthor 384
brightlyiburn 380
DanielleKitten 346
Colleen Thomas 341
scouries 339
secretme 339
niki_2021 309
klrxo 269
BlewWater65 265
dragontatoo 255
kimberlykitten 242
firstkiss 241
JustPlainBob 229
SexyVixen 221
BOSTTONFICTION 218
Dr Mabeuse 216

In general I think getting un-faved as an author is more telling than a single story.

Another option to put out there-and I know we as authors hate to admit it- is that the person....

didn't like the story:eek:

Lovely little passive agrressive side swipe there LC - well done.

Here, have a :nana:

Definition of author from Cambridge English Dictionary: the writer of a book, article, play, etc.

Still, pat yourself on the back. You're a little maestro I'm in awe of :)

I kinda wish that when people were done with Literotica... or if they didn't view the site for six months, that all of their favorites would go away.

A lot of people on the top 250 list have been here for years. They have favorites accrued from all sorts of people who aren't even here anymore. And even if no one ever reads their stuff again, they still have those favorites.

It's really hard to carve yourself a niche up there. :(

It can be done. Find the proper muse and anything is possible.

And I'd rather the favorites and ratings not go away. If it was great and/or fantastic ten years ago, it's probably still great today. I have looked at a lot of the older work and some of it is mind bogglingly good.

I look at it this way... if those favorites had evaporated, I'd have never stumbled across Sir Nathan's work, and that would have been a tragedy. Damn, that dude could WRITE.

Lovely little passive agrressive side swipe there LC - well done.

Here, have a :nana:

Definition of author from Cambridge English Dictionary: the writer of a book, article, play, etc.

Still, pat yourself on the back. You're a little maestro I'm in awe of :)

I'm glad you appreciate that.

So, just to be sure I'm understanding you correctly(I may not be) are you saying people here should not be considered authors?

I've always considered someone who writes even short stories an author, but may be that is just my take.

I kinda wish that when people were done with Literotica... or if they didn't view the site for six months, that all of their favorites would go away.

A lot of people on the top 250 list have been here for years. They have favorites accrued from all sorts of people who aren't even here anymore. And even if no one ever reads their stuff again, they still have those favorites.

It's really hard to carve yourself a niche up there. :(

Carving a spot there also depends on category to a degree. Incest will get you put on a boat load of them as will Romance, most of your work is GM and it has a smaller readership

But not a mean one, as we both know there are not many trolls there;)

I didn't mean the authors, I meant the readers.

Let's say a reader favorites five authors, but then gets hit by a bus and never looks at the site again (cuz he's dead) then his favorites should go away after awhile.

I don't mean that if I were to get hit by a bus then all of the favorites of my author page should go away,.

Ok, either I haven't had enough sleep trying to work the bugs out of a requested "Old Spice" story... or Cruel2BKind is going to start running over readers with a bus that favorite one of the others of us? :eek:

Seriously though, I do sort of get what you are *ahem* driving at. But, at the risk of being thought even more odd (if such is possible), where would we be if Shakespeare and Chaucer had been "unfavorited" as their audience died?

I don't claim to be a modern bard of any sort (maybe his father's bastard son who went into dirty limmericks), but I do think it would be a shame to lose some of those stories on the all time greats of Literotica lists. Even if that means I can't rise past the fourth or fifth page, assuming I can ever break that damn 4.5 barrier.

Oh, and if you think Shakespeare and Chaucer didn't write the Erotic fiction of their time, you need to go back and slap your English Lit teacher.

I didn't mean the authors, I meant the readers.

Let's say a reader favorites five authors, but then gets hit by a bus and never looks at the site again (cuz he's dead) then his favorites should go away after awhile.

I don't mean that if I were to get hit by a bus then all of the favorites of my author page should go away,.

Why does the death/leaving of a reader make the "favorite" now unearned. At that moment in time they thought it a favorite and gave the story that mark. They didn't revoke it before death. And if we could revive them, what percentage would revoke even still?

Lets say story written in 2002, fav'ed in 2002. That's an event. It happened. Why is it LESS valid than me reading your story in 2012 and fav'ing. Was the transaction not identical save for the year?

I think the problem you actually want to solve is more so the "most fav" counting older favorites towards the totals. But thats a slippery slope because how do you chose a cutoff date?

But you run the risk of good but older works falling by the wayside because their "fav" numbers drop to close to zero.

Yeah, the system is weighted towards the older works because they've had much more time opportunity to be read/voted on.

But isn't that how most things work? Pre-internet movies typically have less reviews about them because there were a million blogging self proclaimed movie critics running around.

Any way you slice it, it's never going to be satisfactory for all parties.

Even if you equaled the time frame (say "votes in its first year after posting") Lit is BIGGER now so more readers, more chance to be fav'd. That should even up the time advantage some, right?

I totally understand why you want it different than it is now but Im lost as to how you could accomplish that and keep it relatively "fair" (no, its not fair as it is now but why change just to be a different kind of unfair?)

Perhaps a "read to favorited" ratio but I think we can assume that is a little more complex than Lit would ever bother with.

Last edited:
I'm glad you appreciate that.

So, just to be sure I'm understanding you correctly(I may not be) are you saying people here should not be considered authors?

I've always considered someone who writes even short stories an author, but may be that is just my take.

Don't be obtuse LC, it doesn't go with that facade of well-honed self-aggrandisement you're so perfect at.

Author of several stories? Really? I never realised because you don't mention how prolific you are every 5 minutes do you!

(Or look down on those of us just beginning our journeys).

Here have another :nana: you still look hungry.

Why does the death/leaving of a reader make the "favorite" now unearned. At that moment in time they thought it a favorite and gave the story that mark. They didn't revoke it before death. And if we could revive them, what percentage would revoke even still?

Lets say story written in 2002, fav'ed in 2002. That's an event. It happened. Why is it LESS valid than me reading your story in 2012 and fav'ing. Was the transaction not identical save for the year?

I think the problem you actually want to solve is more so the "most fav" counting older favorites towards the totals. But thats a slippery slope because how do you chose a cutoff date?

But you run the risk of good but older works falling by the wayside because their "fav" numbers drop to close to zero.

Yeah, the system is weighted towards the older works because they've had much more time opportunity to be read/voted on.

But isn't that how most things work? Pre-internet movies typically have less reviews about them because there were a million blogging self proclaimed movie critics running around.

Any way you slice it, it's never going to be satisfactory for all parties.

Even if you equaled the time frame (say "votes in its first year after posting") Lit is BIGGER now so more readers, more chance to be fav'd. That should even up the time advantage some, right?

I totally understand why you want it different than it is now but Im lost as to how you could accomplish that and keep it relatively "fair" (no, its not fair as it is now but why change just to be a different kind of unfair?)

Perhaps a "read to favorited" ratio but I think we can assume that is a little more complex than Lit would ever bother with.

Totally agree with you. The favourite stays, it was earned so why should it be scrubbed? I think this is more a question of the limitations of the Literotica database, search engine and flexibility for highlighting new stories....

Don't be obtuse LC, it doesn't go with that facade of well-honed self-aggrandisement you're so perfect at.

Author of several stories? Really? I never realised because you don't mention how prolific you are every 5 minutes do you!

(Or look down on those of us just beginning our journeys).

Here have another :nana: you still look hungry.

How prolific I am? Think you have me mixed up with a certain "ex spy" who has proclaimed he has more things published than the rest of literotica combined.

As for looking down at people starting teir journey? I hope several of the people I have gone out of my way to help and support with their publishing read this and state otherwise.

I deal with a lot of people through e-mail and pm I don;t post when I've helped anyone, I don;t need the attention.

But if you take a look at the quote in my sig you will see the person you have me confused with in all his glory.

and no thank you on the banana, I don't find them very appeeling. ;)

Maybe they're using the favourite feature as a bookmark, so they can come back and finish reading later. Then, when they're done, they unfavourite so they can bookmark something else without their favourites bit getting too crowded?

Just a theory, of course. Would be interested to see what others think.

I haven't read the rest of the thread but - yes, this is what is happening. We're working on a separate "reading list" so readers can categorize stories-to-read separately from favorite-stories. This will be implemented after the coming profile upgrades. Things always take longer than desired to happen, but rest assured that we are working very hard every day on improvements to the site. :rose:

So from the sounds of Laurel's post it seems like members will have some sort of "library" feature they can stick stories until they read them.

Interesting.

Back