As The Hospital Pervs

Status
Not open for further replies.
When they write so that I can't read it I ring them and demand that they return and rewrite it so I can read it, as nothing will be done until it is legible. When they return I sit beside them and tell them how offended I am. I also tell them that if they can't operate a pen its difficult to imagine that they can operate a needle or a scalpel. I tell them I mastered the art of writing before I was 7, everything I wrote then was legible.
After that, I have no problem.
I loved it when one wrote digesic illegibly, I rang him and suggested that the doses for the digoxin he ordered were wrong. He was there beside me rapidly, collecting his serve. "Have we saved a life?" I asked him. How lucky it was he didn't have to write Dextropropoxyphene hydrochloride 32.5mg/paracetamol 325mg.
Our doctors are spoon fed. We call them on the phone and clarify if we can't figure it out, and then we re-write it for them. ! They are spoiled.

funny_nurse_t_shirt-p235151138500239023q08p_400.jpg

Standing in line at the grocery store, I see the man in front of me. His arms are covered in vascular ropes, I stop and stare. I think: I could get a huge 14 gauge in that vein, in the event that an emergency should occur at any minute.

mmmm

I was always taught that hand writing matters and that if someone, anyone, can't be bothered with making it legible that it is an insult. I think it is obvious that for your patient's welfare such arrogance should be stopped because it is extremely dangerous, some one could quite easily die. It is mandated that in our hospitals all communication be legible. If a mistake is made because of a doctor's handwriting it is the nurse who is responsible and accountable because they did not communicate with the doctor. The doctor is above the law in this respect. I have sat down with doctors and shown them how our alphabet is constructed with sticks and circles and parts there of. Its interesting how they respond. As patient advocates it is our responsibility to do so. Illegible hand writing simply isn't tolerated. In our hospitals 16% of admissions leave with a negative outcome- ie they are worse when they leave than when they arrived. I wonder what the percentage is for you're hospitals. I shudder to think. I remember the times when doctors couldn't be questioned. I'm never going back to that.

One of the many skills of nursing is handwriting interpretation.
I circled what I read to be: Heparin Fuck.

It actually says:
D/C (discontinue)IVs
D/C IV Heparin
Heparin Lock
Type and Cross Match
Transfuse 1 unit of Packed Red Blood Cells
Coumadin 5mg by mouth tonight
Stool for Occult Blood.

Yeah, can't really fuck heparin.

I could read it! Yay.
I swear, I think that we develope some funky 6th sense for doc's handwriting.

I was always taught that hand writing matters and that if someone, anyone, can't be bothered with making it legible that it is an insult. I think it is obvious that for your patient's welfare such arrogance should be stopped because it is extremely dangerous, some one could quite easily die. It is mandated that in our hospitals all communication be legible. If a mistake is made because of a doctor's handwriting it is the nurse who is responsible and accountable because they did not communicate with the doctor. The doctor is above the law in this respect. I have sat down with doctors and shown them how our alphabet is constructed with sticks and circles and parts there of. Its interesting how they respond. As patient advocates it is our responsibility to do so. Illegible hand writing simply isn't tolerated. In our hospitals 16% of admissions leave with a negative outcome- ie they are worse when they leave than when they arrived. I wonder what the percentage is for you're hospitals. I shudder to think. I remember the times when doctors couldn't be questioned. I'm never going back to that.
hoo hoo boo: lighten up :) As a responsible RN, I know the dosage of drugs, and anticipate the doctors orders. I am accountable, I will not make a "mistake" on the account of illegible handwriting. My job description is to care for the sick, and yes advocate for them. My job is not a mission to teach the doctor how to correct sloppy handwriting. The doctor-nurse relationship is team orientated, we are not enemies. If I do not understand: I always clarify. :heart:

I could read it! Yay.
I swear, I think that we develope some funky 6th sense for doc's handwriting.
Yes! It is strange how we learn to read some of that chicken scratch. :D I take it as part of the job.

Standing in line at the grocery store, I see the man in front of me. His arms are covered in vascular ropes, I stop and stare. I think: I could get a huge 14 gauge in that vein, in the event that an emergency should occur at any minute.

I've been told that many times, but never by a woman with a needle in her hand.

Hahaha...we have a lot in common.

I scope out everyone's veins. From the old lady greeting doors at walmart to the kids in my son's class. No one is exempt.

Only peek at peoples veins upon occasion, what makes OR nurses hearts beat faster is a HUGE Thyromental distance. Show me a man that has more than three fingers width between tip of chin to top of thyroid and I simply swoon....:D ;)

Only peek at peoples veins upon occasion, what makes OR nurses hearts beat faster is a HUGE Thyromental distance. Show me a man that has more than three fingers width between tip of chin to top of thyroid and I simply swoon....:D ;)
We speak the same language, swoon and taboo perv with me! At the bedside intubation, we are not measuring no distance, just shove that tube in and start bagging!

Some times my job has been fun, that's the time I'm going home.

Last edited:
Light and up

I used to work acute. I was involved in an unfortunate handwriting saga. Not good. Here it is illegal to rewrite anyone else's orders. I left acute because of the aggression of the doctors. I hated it; the shouting, the malevolence, the placenta throwing etc. I now work rehab and its better. I suspect though that like acute its there for the benefit of the medicos rather than the patients. We too say that we are a team, though I think its more accurate to call it a heirachy. I love to be there when someone speaks their first word in six months or longer. I love being there for the first time they stand, the first time they step, the first time they drink or eat, the first continent night, etc. Its a safer, nurturing place usually though there have been serious attempts to kill nursing staff. I aim to be out of it within a year. I've had enough. I hate paying my registration every year. I have asked whether it would be cheaper if I were to be microchipped and desexed. Its cheaper for dog registration, why not us?

I kiss your boo boo

boo hoo hoo let me comfort your hoo hoo boo boo.
It is a hierarchy naturally like many good things in life. There is a hierarchy of needs; even the food chain resembles a hierarchy. The leader of this chain of command is ultimately the physician. Our job revolves around assessment, diagnosis, planning, intervention and evaluation. The physician treats and we make sure the patient is safe and that the treatment is working.

I do not feel much aggression from physicians. There is hardly any shouting, but the job is stressful and we are humans.

Like any relationship, it is built around trust. The doctor knows when Janey is calling on the phone, it is not for Tylenol, and if I say the patient is sick and needs to be transferred to ICU, it is done, and the physician is at the bedside before I can turn around.

He knows I am not calling to lecture him about his handwriting. I can tease him about that on the down low, when there is no stress.

It sounds like you enjoy the rehab specialty, maybe you just need a break, and we all get burned out. If it were easy, everybody would be doing it right?

And we all find our specialty. I happen to like acute care. I work in progressive care step down. It suits my personality well. I get the chaos and high turn over that resembles emergency, and the control of high acuity that resembles critical care.

About the dog registration and stuff, I have no answers. We renew our license every two years backed by continuing education. We are registered, it keeps us accountable. It does not bother me, the fee, I am proud to renew what I work so hard for. You know, those big letters next to our names? RN, registered nurse.

Don’t give up! :rose:

Even the intravenous drug addicts can not escape my stick. I ask them: So, where are you hitting it at? And they show me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back