Body positive healthy living.

Got the cell phone app to diary that helps keeps you accountable

Got the scale as much as I hate it its my friend too

The helpful one is take measurements cause on the days you don't see results on the scale you will see it in your measurements so thats always nice to see

I am not a water drinker so I know how much water I should drink and I try to get it in early and then switch to tea. And also Mio has been my friend love the stuff it is good

Portion control... if I want it I will have it just limited. Also if I don't buy it it's not in the house.

MY issue is motivation LOL SO I am changing schedules at work and considering it a blessing in disguise so that way I can get up do what I gotta do. BUT I have decided new walking shoes will motivate me to use the things LOL I know silly but helpful trick

I think this thread is great!!!!!!!!!!

Here, are some of the guidelines I use to keep my shape, maybe some will help you.....

Losing weight or dieting should not be the goal, in my opinion the goal should be changing your lifestyle to a healthy lifestyle. The weight loss and better health will be a bi product of the changes. Never count anything like calories, fat, carbs, or protein. Never give up the foods you love, eat them in moderation. Most of all find time to exercise. Eating right and exercising is not a diet it is a lifestyle.

Find the right balance for you and your body style by knowing your BMI. Work toward your BMI when you reach the accepted mediums there will be no diet to end or weight loss to try to maintain. There will be a healthier, happier you with a new, healthy lifestyle.

I'm loving all the activity on this thread.. yay!! :D

117164027776069760_Rppomwci_f.jpg

So I really had no desire to jog/run-- ever. But tonight I found myself jogging short intervals during our family walk. Our son was riding his big wheel and we had several races. He wanted mommy and daddy to run more, but mommy and daddy were pooped! I guess I'll be studying the couch to 5k program after all. :rolleyes:

To toot my own horn for a second, I already have completed a few 5k's. I walked them though. Back when I was training to walk a half marathon. Pregnancy number one put a stop on that dream, but I'm ready to get back to work on it.

32088216065268459_7XHUSnIV_f.jpg

Not sure if there is any interest in a thread like this, but I figured there's only one way to find out.

So, I'm trying to lose some weight and could use a place to talk about goals and progress and such in hopes for some motivation, encouragement and support. I was thinking we could support and encourage each other towards any type of healthy living goal. Eating better, exercising more, quitting smoking, whatever. We could even have challenges or light hearted competitions if there was interest.

I'd want this to be a positive safe place. No hate. So please keep your posts constructive and helpful.

Since this is Lit, I'd try my best to keep it sexy and fun in here by posting pics and things along the theme of healthy living.

Any interest?

A great resource is www.sparkpeople.com. like weight watchers, but FREE. also ck out http://blackgirlsguidetoweightloss.com

love yourself, eat well to fuel your temple, and move to praise your temple

Namaste'

So I really had no desire to jog/run-- ever. But tonight I found myself jogging short intervals during our family walk. Our son was riding his big wheel and we had several races. He wanted mommy and daddy to run more, but mommy and daddy were pooped! I guess I'll be studying the couch to 5k program after all. :rolleyes:

To toot my own horn for a second, I already have completed a few 5k's. I walked them though. Back when I was training to walk a half marathon. Pregnancy number one put a stop on that dream, but I'm ready to get back to work on it.

32088216065268459_7XHUSnIV_f.jpg
Thats excellent with regard to the jog intervals tonight... and the 5k walks... they still count!

I also never had the desire or want to run.. just sort of happened after seeing so many friends post their runs on Facebook.. provided that extra little push to try.
Another site that gives me motivation and good ideas is Active.com.. If you are a regular facebook user and "like" them, they post something motivating or informational daily.

A great resource is www.sparkpeople.com. like weight watchers, but FREE. also ck out http://blackgirlsguidetoweightloss.com

love yourself, eat well to fuel your temple, and move to praise your temple

Namaste'
Thanks for the links. I've heard of sparkpeople, but never really used it before. I'll check out both links. :)

Thats excellent with regard to the jog intervals tonight... and the 5k walks... they still count!

I also never had the desire or want to run.. just sort of happened after seeing so many friends post their runs on Facebook.. provided that extra little push to try.
Another site that gives me motivation and good ideas is Active.com.. If you are a regular facebook user and "like" them, they post something motivating or informational daily.

Thanks. I'll add them on Facebook. That's nice you have friends who run too, the support must be nice. I have some family who talks about running, but I'm not sure if anyone really is...lol. My uncle was a runner, he completed about 60 runs a year including Boston Marathon seven times. He passed away recently though.

No problem.. it is rather motivating, even just seeing the "likes" from friends. I think someone mentioned it already, but if you haven't get a new pair of cross-training/running shoes.. just having invested in the shoes is motivation to a degree.. Sorry to hear about your uncle.

This is a fantastic idea for a thread! *subscribing* A couple of years ago I went on a 'food program' (ok, it was a diet!), which was simply a well-balanced diet that focused on raw foods, lean meats, and the lowest-sugar items in each food group. (for instance, no carrots, no bananas, etc.) It took a while, but I lost a significant amount and did well afterwards until a few months ago when a move turned everything upside down. I'm just about settled and ready to get back to it, so this comes at the perfect time! I'll be checking in!

No problem.. it is rather motivating, even just seeing the "likes" from friends. I think someone mentioned it already, but if you haven't get a new pair of cross-training/running shoes.. just having invested in the shoes is motivation to a degree.. Sorry to hear about your uncle.
:) Thanks.

I think I'll save new shoes as a mini-reward for along the way. The ones I have now are working fine for our short walks.

This is a fantastic idea for a thread! *subscribing* A couple of years ago I went on a 'food program' (ok, it was a diet!), which was simply a well-balanced diet that focused on raw foods, lean meats, and the lowest-sugar items in each food group. (for instance, no carrots, no bananas, etc.) It took a while, but I lost a significant amount and did well afterwards until a few months ago when a move turned everything upside down. I'm just about settled and ready to get back to it, so this comes at the perfect time! I'll be checking in!
Welcome Jenny!!

So as odd as it sounds I have never been a breakfast eater. I honestly just like to sleep and then rush to work.... Now I work from home so how hard it is for me to go to the kitchen grab something and eat while working.... YEAH I asked myself the same thing. SO started eating breakfast again even if its a Fiber One bar or yogurt but hey breakfast is breakfast right! LOL

And go you Ms. Sweetness for the jogging intervals. I have declared the treadmill to be moved to where I can use it again in the house so we shall see if it will get done if not I see me having a fight with the treadmill in my future!

Hope everyone's day goes well!

So as odd as it sounds I have never been a breakfast eater. I honestly just like to sleep and then rush to work.... Now I work from home so how hard it is for me to go to the kitchen grab something and eat while working.... YEAH I asked myself the same thing. SO started eating breakfast again even if its a Fiber One bar or yogurt but hey breakfast is breakfast right! LOL

And go you Ms. Sweetness for the jogging intervals. I have declared the treadmill to be moved to where I can use it again in the house so we shall see if it will get done if not I see me having a fight with the treadmill in my future!

Hope everyone's day goes well!

I think yogurt or a fiber one bar are okay breakfasts. Certainly better than nothing. Eating breakfast gets your metabolism up and running for the day. I used to make a smoothie in the mornings. They were so yummy and filling enough to hold me over to lunch. I should start making them again.

Woot for clearing off the treadmill! Clearing it off counts as exercise too. :p

Have a good day! :rose:

Not sure if there is any interest in a thread like this, but I figured there's only one way to find out.

So, I'm trying to lose some weight and could use a place to talk about goals and progress and such in hopes for some motivation, encouragement and support. I was thinking we could support and encourage each other towards any type of healthy living goal. Eating better, exercising more, quitting smoking, whatever. We could even have challenges or light hearted competitions if there was interest.

I'd want this to be a positive safe place. No hate. So please keep your posts constructive and helpful.

Since this is Lit, I'd try my best to keep it sexy and fun in here by posting pics and things along the theme of healthy living.

Any interest?

I'm definitely interested. I'm not an expert, but I love to work out and eat healthy so feel free to pick my brain if you want to. :) One thing I would definitely recommend is a food/exercise tracker. The "My Fitness Pal" app is a great tool. You can enter all your info and it helps you see what exactly is going into your body every meal. I can't live without it. :)

I would so love help on a healthy life style .. I just seem to complicate how I do things in my life

I'm definitely interested. I'm not an expert, but I love to work out and eat healthy so feel free to pick my brain if you want to. :) One thing I would definitely recommend is a food/exercise tracker. The "My Fitness Pal" app is a great tool. You can enter all your info and it helps you see what exactly is going into your body every meal. I can't live without it. :)

I added that app weeks ago and forgot all about it. Doh! I just set it up, thanks for the reminder.

I would so love help on a healthy life style .. I just seem to complicate how I do things in my life

Welcome! There's a lot of great tips and stories here already, I hope people keep adding more.

Feel free to share recipes too everyone.

Where do you get that My fitness app tool ?

I have an Android phone, I just searched for it in the market on my phone. I found a bunch of fitness apps, I'm testing them out to see which is my favorite.

Okay, so here's my story in a nutshell...

You know that saying, those who can't do, teach? I kinda feel like that's me. I actually worked for a while as a weight loss consultant for a leading weight loss company. (Ironic, huh?) I'm not a dietitian or anything fancy, but I did have to train and learn a lot to work there. So there is a good amount I do know, I just don't do what I should. (If nothing else, I'm qualified to give support :p)

I've been overweight pretty much my whole adult life. Yo-yoed around a good amount, mainly from pregnancies. With both my pregnancies I went through the same thing.. I had lost a good amount of weight right before I got pregnant. I continued to lose weight during the pregnancies and never regained it all back while pregnant. However, both times after delivery I suffered severe postpartum depression and gained a ton of weight.

So here I am, a bit over a year since I had my second baby and I weigh more than I ever have in my life. I hate it. I hate the way I look and I hate the way I feel. Most days I think my PPD is gone/under control, but there are still rough days. I am also still nursing, for what it's worth. So I can't do anything really extreme right now, not that I'd want to.

I've started walking more, at nights hubby and the kids and I walk the neighborhood. I installed a food diary app on my phone that can track food, exercise and weight. Journaling is huge for me. I know that is maybe the number one thing that helps me, so I need to do it and be honest about it.

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff, and I'm not ready to talk numbers, too embarrassed, but that's me. :eek::)

Walking is a great idea. If you're nursing, your body WANTS to accumulate fat, so no diet would be advisable, only portion control (as I read before).

Can I ask how much are you walking?

Walking is a great idea. If you're nursing, your body WANTS to accumulate fat, so no diet would be advisable, only portion control (as I read before).

Can I ask how much are you walking?

I'm not following any diet plan, more lifestyle modification. As a whole family we need to eat more whole foods, less processed crap. That sorta thing.

We just started our family walks this week. Before then I walked very little / infrequently. We found a path through our neighborhood that is a mile and a half. It's working out to take us an hour to complete. Which seems kinda pathetic, but you have to remember we're walking with a four year old boy who is on his big wheel or power wheel who needs to stop and look at rocks, puddles, jets, ducks, sticks, etc. He is getting more focused, but I don't want to discourage his curiosity, ya know? I'm thinking we need to go for two types walks, a shorter discovery walk where we poke the ground every five feet and then our exercise walk where we try to keep up an aerobic heart rate.

I'm not following any diet plan, more lifestyle modification. As a whole family we need to eat more whole foods, less processed crap. That sorta thing.

We just started our family walks this week. Before then I walked very little / infrequently. We found a path through our neighborhood that is a mile and a half. It's working out to take us an hour to complete. Which seems kinda pathetic, but you have to remember we're walking with a four year old boy who is on his big wheel or power wheel who needs to stop and look at rocks, puddles, jets, ducks, sticks, etc. He is getting more focused, but I don't want to discourage his curiosity, ya know? I'm thinking we need to go for two types walks, a shorter discovery walk where we poke the ground every five feet and then our exercise walk where we try to keep up an aerobic heart rate.

Exactly! You need your family walks, and your own walks. I'd advice you make a routine out of it (if you can find the time for yourself with your son and all) which would help you a lot.

I've read something about an app.. I use Runtastic and I find it really great. I'm currently on a 10 weeks program to run an hour after that time, and that app helps me a lot to see how I'm improving. Slowly, but I am. And to see that it's a hell of a motivation :D

Exactly! You need your family walks, and your own walks. I'd advice you make a routine out of it (if you can find the time for yourself with your son and all) which would help you a lot.

I've read something about an app.. I use Runtastic and I find it really great. I'm currently on a 10 weeks program to run an hour after that time, and that app helps me a lot to see how I'm improving. Slowly, but I am. And to see that it's a hell of a motivation :D

I wouldn't be able to walk with out the kids unless I walked with out hubby too, and we all want to go on the walks. It's fun family time. I push a stroller as I walk too, for what it's worth. Its a double stroller so I could push both kids, but I want my son to ride his bike. He has so much energy and he makes the stroller too heavy. :p

ETA: I'll look for that app too. So many apps to help, its great.

Back